Chapter 1

Next Door

It was one of those rare nights when all of the EXO members are home without any schedules to think about. No late night dance rehearsals or filming till dawn. Some of them are watching TV, lazily lying down on the couch. Some are in their respective rooms composing a song or reading a book. Some are in the kitchen, cooking up something for once.

 

“Hey, there’s no more salt!” Baekhyun exclaimed. “How can we run out of salt?” Baekhyun is wearing an apron, a very unusual sight in the EXO dorm.

 

“Hyung, why are you cooking anyway?” Sehun said. “We can always get food delivered.”

 

“And that is why we are getting lazy,” Baekhyun said. “Besides, don’t you miss home cooked meals?”

 

“Not from you,” whispered Sehun and proceeded to read the manga he was holding. But Baekhyun heard it and held his spatula high aiming at Sehun’s head. “Ah, this youngest, really!”

 

“Why don’t you make yourself useful and find me some salt,” said Baekhyun.

 

“Hyung, you’re the one cooking and I’m busy,” said Sehun.

 

“Exactly, I can’t leave the stove open, dummy,” replied Baekhyun. “And you’ve read that manga five times already. We all know the hero dies at the end.”

 

“Shhh! Stop spoiling it, just like the food,” said Sehun. Baekhyun just rolled his eyes.

 

“Sehun, just find me some salt please,” Baekhyun pleaded. “If you’re too lazy to go down to the convenience store, you can try asking from the teacher next door.”

 

“Why didn’t you just go down to the convenience store to buy food? It’s called a convenience store for a reason,” said Sehun. He went down from his seat and made his way towards the front door. “You owe me, hyung! And not with your food!” exclaimed Sehun as he finished tying his shoes and headed out.

Teacher Kim was a language teacher, teaching Korean and English at various schools. They’ve known her since they’ve moved in. She welcomed them to the dorm with food that she cooked herself. She lives with her husband who is also a teacher. They have rarely seen each other recently with their busy schedules and with the teacher sometimes travelling abroad to teach.

 

The hallway was quiet just like how it has always been. Strange, Sehun thought. He never really noticed anything else in the hallway, like the potted plant in the corner or how the wallpaper has somehow faded. He would always just rush inside because he was always so tired.

 

He rang the doorbell and hoped that Teacher Kim is at home and not bothering her at this time so Baekhyun can finally move on with his fixation on trying to cook.