In Lingering Melancholy

Lost

“We’re here.” Yuna says as she removes her seatbelt. Hoseok removes his as well and both them goes outside the car.

“Damn. I forgot to change my clothes.” Hoseok murmurs to himself while they head inside the supermarket.

Yuna hears him and smirks.

“Aren’t you worried that I might escape in here?” Hoseok asks out of curiosity. Of course he has no intentions of doing such thing, but this is a great opportunity for him, if ever he does think of escaping.

“Not really.” she replies. Surprisingly she really doesn’t look like she’s cautious with his actions. Is she just confident that he won’t be able to escape? Or does she trusts his word that he won’t escape? Hoseok has no idea.

Yuna grabs a cart and they start strolling around the supermarket. She tells Hoseok to grab any food that is enough for him. He gets a small sack of rice, tray of eggs, coffee, kimchi, mangoes, apples, pork, chicken and fish. He also grabs a couple of canned goods and ramen. For some weird reason he feels like he’s shopping with his mom. He’s the one who gets to pick the groceries, though.

Yuna just observes him. It seems to her that he keeps on picking raw food. “Do you plan to cook in the mansion?” she asks.

“Yes. Can’t I?” Hoseok asks innocently. He’s doomed if not. He can’t eat ramen forever. 

“Well, you can.” she shrugs. No one uses their appliances anyways.

 

The grocery shopping finished in a couple of minutes. They head towards the cashier. Yuna fishes out a black credit card from her wallet which made Hoseok gawk. Yuna looks at him with disgust. “What are you staring at?” she hisses at him.

“How did you get this?” he asks, still staring at the card.

Yuna ignores him and casually gives it to the cashier who is creeped out at the person beside her. The fact that he’s wearing pajamas doesn’t help either.

Another staff swiftly packs their groceries as the cashier returns the credit card to her and bids them thanks. Yuna grabs the plastics by herself as Hoseok is still shocked by the sight of the rare card she owns.

“Wow, I didn’t know you were that rich.” he tells her.

“It’s just a black card.” she replies with a shrug.

He gasps. “Don’t tell me you don’t know how valuable that is.”

“Of course I know. I just don’t get why you’re making such a big deal out of it. I can buy anything with this, so what?”

Hoseok just sighs in defeat. She wouldn’t be able to understand him because she’s a vampire. The things that humans use in their everyday life, and those that they want aren’t much of an importance to them. They probably only care about their meal every other day.

Yuna places the groceries at the trunk of the car and goes inside the car afterwards. The trip going back home was quieter than when they left because Hoseok fell asleep, and it isn’t even 1 in the afternoon yet.

 

Yuna senses it before she could even see it. Someone is following them, and it seems like it is craving to attack. She halts the car in an instant and prepares herself to a fight. Whoever it is, she doesn’t care. She wouldn’t even hesitate to kill it.

Fortunately she’s already deep in the forest. No one will be able to see them in here. Suddenly, a shadow appears running within the bushes to her left. “Who are you?” she snaps.

The shadow keeps on running and she can hear the rustling of the leaves. “Tch. Whatever. I’m leaving.” she says, irritated. Why waste her time with a freaking coward?

She hears a familiar, husky laugh nearby. “Leaving so soon?” it sneers. “We haven’t even played yet.”

“I don’t have time for your games.” she says. She continuously scans the area but she can’t see anyone around. Just where is it hiding?

Heavy winds burst from all directions, making the car doors open and Hoseok tag along with the gust. The wind halts, and Hoseok who’s still asleep is tightly held by a well built man at once. He walks in front of her and smirks.

But Yuna knows this person is no human. He’s a werewolf. She could tell with his stench of mud and dirt. “Leave him alone.” she says.

“I’m hungry. Give this man to me.” the werewolf replies.

“Fck off. I found him.” Yuna says, pretending that Hoseok is her prey. If the werewolf finds out that she doesn’t intend to kill him, he wouldn’t hesitate to gobble him up in an instant and she can’t have that happening.

The werewolf who’s currently in human shape ignores her. He sniffs Hoseok and sighs in satisfaction. “How about we share then? 60-40 in your favor.” he says. “Or just leave the leftovers to me.”

“No. Give him back to me.” she says sternly. “Give him back or else I’ll kill you in an instant.”

He just laughs at her.

“I said, give him back or I’ll kill you.” she says, emphasizing each word loudly and clearly.

The werewolf tilts his head to the side mockingly. He realizes that talking is no use to this woman and he has no choice but to kill her for the sake of his empty stomach.

Yuna sees the change in his expression as he throws Hoseok down to the ground. He doesn’t intend to give him back the easy way—not that she isn’t prepared for it. She’s going to kill him right in his spot.  

In an instant, her fangs appear out of nowhere and her eyes glow red. She grabs the collar of the werewolf and swiftly throws him towards a tree. He grunts but laughs shortly after. He stands up, unscathed. He his chin with the back of his hand and without any word, he counterattacks. He grabs her neck and rams her back to the ground, making Yuna groan in pain. She grips his arm to free herself, but his grasp is so tight that she can’t breathe normally. She is slowly running out of air.

The werewolf snickers at her. “Don’t think that just because you’re a woman I’ll hold back.”

Yuna stares at him with angry eyes. Unable to move, she spits at his face, making him cry out in disgust. As his grasp slowly loosens, she takes the opportunity to attack him by scratching his face with her sharp nails. He draws back and groans. “You son of a—!” he exclaims but is cut off by another groan.

His rage increases. He then changes shape and turns into a real werewolf. The fresh wounds caused by her are still visible, but they don’t look as deep as when he was in human form.

To Yuna’s horror, she isn’t the target of the beast. He sprints pass her and attempts to attack Hoseok who has become fully awake. Hoseok eyes widen in disbelief with what he’s seeing. A wolf full of sharp teeth and frightening eyes is right in front of him. He is frozen to his spot. He knows that even if he moves he wouldn’t be able to escape. What does he have to do?

Yuna moves fast to prevent him from attacking Hoseok. She quickly runs to tear of the flesh of his back but he knows she’s there. He grabs her neck once again and throws her hard to the bushes.

“Yuna!” Hoseok cries out. He has no idea how they encountered this wild beast. All he’s aware is that he was sleeping and when he woke up, this wolf is about to haul all over him. What happened while he was asleep?

The werewolf turns his attention back to Hoseok. He snarls and saliva pours down from his mouth. He’s badly hungry. Certain that Yuna wouldn’t be able to move, he pauses to catch his breath.

Yuna grunts. She underestimated the werewolf. He’s stronger than he looks. She had fought countless creatures of his kind, but none of them was able to beat her with her quick reflexes. She has to outwit him no matter what. She slowly stands up and sees that fortunately, he hasn’t attacked Hoseok yet. It seems that he’s trying to rest. Hoseok on the other hand is just sitting there, looking afraid while staring at the werewolf.

Little did Yuna know that Hoseok is thinking of a way to attack. But, he has to make sure that the wolf wouldn’t notice his movements. While scanning his surroundings, he notices a branch near the car, but it’s impossible for him to get it. He steals a glance at Yuna who is coincidentally looking at him as well. He tells her to get the branch and attack the werewolf by hand gestures but she cannot understand him.

Yuna sighs in exasperation. They’re running out of time. With quiet but fast footsteps, she tries to attack once again. As expected he notices her, but this time she dodges his hit. Hoseok is able to escape. He runs toward the car and grabs the branch with a sharp end. He waits for the wolf to have an open spot as Yuna tries to dodge his every attack.

 But it was going on for too long. Sooner or later one of them will lose strength and Yuna’s more likely to be the first because she’s more injured. Hoseok must take action immediately before it’s too late.

Yuna fails to dodge one hit. Her back slams to the ground and she’s unable to stand up. The werewolf is now choking her to death.

With a stifled voice, “R-run!” Yuna tells Hoseok, but he refuses. He tightens his grip on the branch. Yuna will be killed if he doesn’t do it. He has to kill the werewolf by himself.

 

But then, at the back of his head, he realizes something.

 

He can escape.

 

He can run away and never look back. He can go back to his friends and family right now. This is his chance.

 

He doesn’t have to be involved in this.

 

It isn’t his fault if anyone dies in here.

 

That’s right. He can escape.

 

He drops the branch and sprints as fast as he can. He doesn’t know the right path, but he’s certain that if he just run straight ahead, he’ll be able to find someone. He doesn’t have to deal with all the absurd things anymore. He’s finally free.

 

“Hoseok! Save me!”

 

He pauses. Why. Why is he remembering this now, of all times?

 

“Jihee! Don’t go!”

 

Random images flash through his head. The strong surge of the body of water. The powerful gush of wind. The intense glare of the sun. Hands which cannot reach other. A girl, slowly drifting from his line of sight—gone, forever.

“Aaaahhhh!!!” Yuna cries out. She is unable to fight back. Her pale face becomes more pale and her fangs and nails return back to normal. She has no strength left.

His thoughts are silenced at once when he hears her. Before he knows it, he is already running towards them and without hesitation, he stabs the werewolf with the branch.

“Arghhhh!” the werewolf growls. Something has pierced his back up until his abdomen. Blood violently oozes from it.  He turns around and sees Hoseok. He forgot that he’s still there. He swings his fist towards him but the damage he obtained is too severe that he just plops to the ground.

Hoseok breathes heavily. He did it. He killed the werewolf.

Yuna’s eyelids feel heavy and she’s struggling to keep herself awake. But, she was able to see what happened. The next thing she sees is that Hoseok is running towards her, carrying the branch soaked with blood.  

He’s going to kill me. She thinks.  

If he has the guts to kill the werewolf, then it won’t be surprising that he’s going to do the same to her so he can finally run away. A sarcastic smirk forms in . What a pathetic way to die in the hands of a human. She feels gravely humiliated.

What he does next surprises her. Instead of killing her with the branch, he drops it and hugs her tight—so tight that she cannot breathe. She thinks he is trying to choke her to death. But she cannot fight back, she’s totally weakened.

Suddenly, his tight embrace slowly loosens and she hears him mumble something.  

“Jihee… I’m sorry.” he whispers.

 

The name he mentioned isn’t hers, but why does she feel like the succeeding words are directed to her?


 

062515

I don't know who my bias is anymoooreee.

Jeon Jungkook will be the death of me.