Quite

Drabbles and Short Stories

Quite. That's was the only way to explain it all. Everything in the world was quite. The tension between them could be cut with a knife. There was no words left to explain anything. Their minds were quite. Everything was quite. And that was not how it is ever supposed to be between the two of them. They were never quite. Not even in their sleep. Between the snoring, the arguements, the laughter. They were never quite. Not until now. Not until this moment. Not a single noise besides the rhythmic dripping. Each drop, quite to the world, screams their sin in their ears. Both their hands were tainted now. Neither could walk away from this, not the same way they were able to come it. Too much has been done. Too many stories had been drawn from thin air. Their lies got increasingly more elaborate, but they won't slip. Perhaps before this night, but now, they can't slip. Because if they slip, they will lose. They have to keep their faces on. 10 minutes. It has been 10 minutes since it happened, that gave them enough time to stage the alibi. As if staged the pitter patter of the neighbor came down the hall. They were quick to move, one picked up the forgotten groceries in his own clean hands, and open the door quietly, his back facing the opening. The other screamed, his body already drenched as he clutched his love in his arms. Right on time, as the neighbors came to watch one drop the groceries in shock, the milk painting an eeriely pink trail on the floor as the other sobbed loudly, praying that it wasn't the truth of what just happened. They were smart about what they did. They made sure the reciepts with the time stamps were conviently placed in the grocery bags, they chose to have taken the road with construction delays, they made convient small talk with the door man about how it was their friendiversary and the three were coming together for their annual dinner. They made sure to mention this one the same day, every year, enough times that the door man bought flowers for their momentous occasion. So as the emergency service came in, the apartment was taped off, and a blanket of condolences was put over the two's shoulder, no one ever thought to look at the lifeless eyes. For if one did, they be able to spot a hint of betrayal. One the seemingly matched the hint of accomplishment in two shining eyes.