Six years old - May

Barber Shop Stories

It was extremely early on a Sunday morning in mid-spring. The sun had just risen a few hours prior, casting a bright light on the near-empty street, the birds were chirping and the sky was a bright clear blue. A light morning breeze blew across an empty parking lot, ruffling the hair of the two figures walking across it. Just an hour prior, Kyuhyun had enthusiastically woken up his father so that he could get his hair cut, much to the man's tired protestations. The boy now strode in front of his father, bouncing happily, decked out in his Pokemon cap, as the man dragged his feet behind him, yawning, both headed towards Kyuhyun’s new favourite barber shop.

They opened the door, which had an OPEN sign haphazardly hung in front, and found a well-lit yet completely deserted shop. A myriad of loud voices were coming from a somewhat hidden staircase leading upwards at the back of the barber shop. 

“Hello?” Mr. Cho called out tentatively. 

“We’re comiiiing,” came a high-pitched voice from upstairs. 

The Chos looked at each other. 

“Was that Ryeowookie?” asked Kyuhyun. 

Mr. Cho shook his head, slightly confused. 

“I don’t think so. Ryeowookie has a high voice, but that was a bit too high even for him.” 

Suddenly they saw movement from the staircase. A little girl clad in a bright green dress with long pigtails had climbed down a couple of stairs and was peeking at the Chos, eyes round. The minute she saw they had noticed her, she ran back up the stairs whining:

“Ryeowookie, Ryeowookie there are weird peoples here! Help me!” 

“Weird peoples?” Ryeowook’s chirpy voice responded. 

They saw Ryeowook’s eyes peek at them from the stairs, then heard a loud squeak of happiness. 

“Kyuhyunnieeee!” He virtually bounced down the rest of the stairs and ran over to Kyuhyun, hugging him. The girl cautiously followed Ryeowook, peeking out from behind his back.

“Sohyunnie, this is my friend Kyuhyunnie! He gave me the biggest hug ever and he loves me so much!” He gestured animatedly towards Kyuhyun, beaming. 

Kyuhyun blushed deeply, forehead scrunched. 

“Stop lying boo boo!” he said. 

“My Prince Ryeowookie never lies. He’s the most perfect plo-fez-i-nal ever!” Sohyun huffed, annoyed, her timidity gone. 

“Professional, Sohyunnie,” said Mr. Kim, the barber, as he walked downstairs, dabbing at his mouth with a napkin. “And Ryeowookie isn’t a professional at all.” He winked at Kyuhyun and shook hands with Mr. Cho. “Sorry for the delay, we usually don’t expect anyone this early on Sunday morning so we eat a leisurely breakfast upstairs.”

Mr. Cho yawned. 

“We’re only here this early because Kyuhyun-ah was overly excited. I would have loved to sleep in for a couple more hours,” he said as he shuffled off to the waiting area, his eyes half-closed. 

Kyuhyun had padded over to the newly discovered staircase and was peering upwards curiously. 

“Upstairs? You have food upstairs? Like fried chicken?” 

Mr. Kim laughed. 

“Well, I don’t know if we have fried chicken, Kyuhyunnie. But yes, we have food upstairs. We live upstairs, after all!” 

The boy’s eyes widened. 

“You live…up there? I want to see!” 

“Now, now,” replied Mr. Cho, who was tiredly rifling through the magazines in the waiting area, “You can’t go wandering around somewhere else’s house, Kyuhyunnie.” 

“Do you want some pancakes?” Ryeowook piped up. “It’s super yummy! Me and umma made it! I’ll go get some!” He made to go upstairs. 

“No, don’t give it to him!” Sohyun held Ryeowook’s arm tightly in place, glaring at Kyuhyun. “I don’t like him!” 

Mr. Kim lightly patted the girl on the head. 

“This is Sohyun. She’s the daughter of the Lees, who own the salon just down the street. She slept over at our place last night as her parents are out on a retreat. She’s the same age as both of you. Sohyunnie, say hi to Kyuhyunnie and Mr. Cho,” the barber directed. 

She shook her head, still grasping Ryeowook’s arm. 

“I don’t like Kyuhyunnie. He’s weird.” 

“Sohyun-ah, do you want to get in trouble?” 

She hummed, thinking about it.

“Sohyunnie…” said Mr. Kim threateningly. 

“She apowogizes, appa! Sohyunnie say hi to Kyuhyunnie and then we’ll go get pancakes,” Ryeowook mumbled excitedly.

“No!” she replied, annoyed. 

“Fine then, we’re not friends anymore!” Ryeowook peeled her hands off him, finishing off with a haughty 'hmpf!' 

She gasped. 

“Noo, okay then!” She bowed sullenly to Kyuhyun, muttering a weak hello then grabbed Ryeowook’s hand and pulled him upstairs. “Let’s go get some pancakes together Prince Ryeowookie!” 

Mr. Kim shook his head as his son was dragged upstairs. 

“Sorry about her, she’s quite possessive of my son. Come and sit in the barber chair Kyuhyunnie,” he said as he prepared the booster seat. “How are you today?” 

Kyuhyun sulked as he crossed the shop and seated himself on the booster seat in the barber chair, fuming silently as he swung his feet back and forth. He sent multiple annoyed glances towards the staircase. 

“Don’t worry, they’ll be back soon. Ryeowook’s been excited about seeing you again ever since you were here the last time. How about you?” He placed the gown securely around the boy and took off his beloved Pokemon cap. 

Kyuhyun nodded, mollified, still sending furtive glances at the staircase. 

“I don’t like Sohyun-ah. I want Ryeowookie,” he mumbled. 

As if on cue, several loud thumps were heard as the two children bounded down the stairs, a plate of cut up pancakes precariously balanced in Ryeowook’s little flailing arms. 

“Whoaaa,” said Mr. Kim as he rescued the plate of pancakes, putting it on the barber table beside Kyuhyun’s hat. “You can eat these after we’re done with your haircut, okay Kyuhyun?” 

“I made them myself, Kyuhyunnie! They’re a mawsterpliece!” 

“Masterpiece, Ryeowook. And umma and Sohyunnie helped, right?” 

“Just a teensy bit,” he murmured quietly, then continued on loudly, “But I’m sure you’ll like it lots Kyuhyunnie! I even wroted your name on it with chocolate sauce! Because I love you!” 

“No, you don’t Ryeowookie!” cried Sohyun. 

“Yes, I do!” replied Ryeowook. 

“Nooo!” And so continued the argument. 

Kyuhyun was annoyed, his frown deepening. He had come to see Ryeowook but instead the other girl was taking up all of his friend’s time. He was seconds away from starting a tantrum when Mr. Kim broke up the two kids’ argument. 

“Okay, you two, you’re working on becoming barbers or hairstylists when you grow up, right? So what kind of hairstyle do you think Kyuhyun should have?” 

Ryeowook padded over to the front of the barber chair, looking closely at Kyuhyun, his hand his chin. 

“I think Kyuhyun should have bangs! Loooong bangs.” 

“And why is that Ryeowookie?” 

“Because his eyes are icky!” interjected Sohyun. 

Kyuhyun ground his teeth as he glared at the girl but Ryeowook was off in his own analytical world, still surveying him. 

“It’s because if Kyuhyunnie has long bangs then his will face will have balances. But his hair can’t be round like a bowl appa, it has to look nice! Round like a fishbowl will make him look like a fish and Kyuhyunnie’s not a fish!” 

Mr. Kim nodded blankly, uncertain about the fish comment.

“So what do you think his bangs should look like?”

“He should be a baldy!” Sohyun added in. 

“Bald, why?” Ryeowook commented, tilting his head. 

“So he looks like an ugly pengling!” 

“Well, you’re a yucky rat!” retorted Kyuhyun scathingly, unable to hold himself back anymore.

“And you’re a icky piggie!” 

“Stinky elephant!” 

“Monkey poopie!” 

“Well I,” Ryeowook said loudly, “think Kyuhyunnie should have stwaight bangs with no earburns!” 

“Sideburns, Ryeowookie,” said the barber. “Also thank you for staying on topic.” 

“Of course appa, I’m a pro-fez-i-nal!” He patted himself on the chest, proud. 

The barber sighed then turned to Sohyun. 

“Do you have any good professional input to add Sohyun? What have your parents taught you about hairstyles?” 

Sohyun scowled. 

“I agwee with Ryeowookie. It will be good with Kyuhyunnie’s big ears,” she muttered quietly. 

“And the back should be shaveded just a liiiittle bit so he doesn’t look floppy like a fish tail,” added Ryeowook, standing on the step stool he had brought over, observing the back of Kyuhyun’s head. His hand was back to rubbing his chin, trying to look dignified. 

Mr. Kim raised his eyebrow. 

“That makes sense Ryeowook, but why are you talking about fish so often?” 

Ryeowook blinked up at his father from his step stool. 

“Because umma is making saengseon jjigae for lunch,” he said pointedly, as if was the most obvious thing in the world. Sohyun nodded wholeheartedly beside him, agreeing. 

“Okay…” the barber responded, perplexed. “Anyway, Kyuhyunnie are you okay with that haircut? It’ll be a bit ordinary compared to Ash Ketchum, but it’ll look good on you for the summertime.” 

Kyuhyun nodded, glowering at Sohyun, who had wrapped her arms around Ryeowook’s leg. 

“Yay! You’ll look so handysome!” commented Ryeowook. 

“Handsome, not handysome dummy,” Kyuhyun muttered in response. 

The other boy just ignored Kyuhyun and started singing, pointing at Kyuhyun. 

“You are my shy shy shy boy!” 

Sohyun pulled Ryeowook off the step stool and continued the song while pointing at him:

“Oh oh oh my boy.” 

“Sorry about this,” Mr. Cho whispered as he began cutting the boy’s hair, the two other children still singing away in their own world, “These two were up until late last night watching this kpop special and they’ve been singing all morning. I hope you like pop music.” 

Kyuhyun spent five minutes in brooding silence as Ryeowook and Sohyun sang random pop songs to each other, ignoring his existence. He was contemplating throwing a tantrum and never coming back when Ryeowook turned to him. 

“Oh Kyuhyunnie, you’re bangs look so nice! You’re so handysome!” He once again pulled his step stool beside Kyuhyun, climbed on it and gently raked his little fingers through the boy’s recently cut bangs. “Wow, your hair is so soft! It’s softer than Winnie. You can sleep with me during bedtime instead now! So fwuffy!” 

Sohyun whined, tugging on Ryeowook’s pants as she tried to start another pop song, but the boy was too mesmerized by Kyuhyun’s hair. Ryeowook then leaned over and sniffed Kyuhyun’s hair. 

“Oi dummy, what are you doing? Are you a doggy?!” remarked a blushing Kyuhyun. He had closed his eyes, enjoying the sensation of his friend playing with his hair and then opened his eyes to find the boy’s face really close to him, startling him. 

“Your hair smells so nice, Kyuhyunnie. Like rainbows,” Ryeowook’s eyes were sparkling. 

“Rainbows don’t smell like anything, dummy!” 

“Language, Kyuhyunnie,” called Mr. Cho sleepily from the waiting area, evidently having just woken up from an unexpected nap. “It’s not nice to call someone a dummy!” 

“Well, Ryeowook-ah is being a dummy so now he can be dumb dumb-ah instead!” His said, cheeks still pink. 

“Kyuhyun!” admonished Mr. Cho, weary of his son’s antics. 

“Don’t call Ryeowookie a dumb dumb-ah you dumb dumb!” screeched Sohyun as she raised her hand to hit Kyuhyun. But instead she accidentally bumped into Ryeowook’s step stool, causing the boy to lose his balance and fall towards Kyuhyun, shrieking. Kyuhyun wrapped his hands around Ryeowook protectively after the boy fell, holding him close and stabilizing him. Mr. Kim quickly rescued his son, standing him upright on the ground. 

“Are you okay, Ryeowook-ah?!” 

A teary-eyed Ryeowook wiped tears from his eyes with a balled fist. His other arm was rubbing his belly.

“I fell! And now my tummy hurts! Appa give me a tummy rub!” 

Mr. Kim complied, exasperated. 

“It’s all your fault Sohyun! Go away! You’re mean! I only want Kyuhyunnie. He pwotected me!” Ryeowook pulled away from his father, righted his step stool and climbed back on, hugging Kyuhyun around the middle, cuddling into his side.

Sohyun put her hands of her hips, sniffing. 

“Why do I have to go away, it’s his faul-“ 

But the barber interrupted her. 

“Please go upstairs and watch TV quietly Sohyun.” 

“But-“ 

“Now.” 

“Why-“ 

“Because someone got hurt, Sohyun. So now you’re in time-out. You’re not allowed anywhere near Ryeowookie for two,” He put two fingers up, “hours.” 

She wailed, angry tears forming. 

“It’s all his fault!” 

“Sohyun, go now. Otherwise I’ll make it three hours.” 

She frowned and stomped off upstairs. 

“Sorry about that, Kyuhyunnie. As I said, Sohyun is very possessive of Ryeowook. I should have got her to stay upstairs today.” He sighed, “Well better late than never.” 

He rubbed Ryeowook’s head lightly. 

“Are you okay, Ryeowookie?” 

The boy peeled his face away from Kyuhyun. 

“Appa, I think my tummy is brokened,” the boy responded in a dejected voice. 

“Are you feeling sick?” his father asked, concerned.

“Yes, I think I need some medicine.” 

“Should I get umma to get you some tummy medicine?” 

“No, pancakes with chocolate syrup will be okay,” Ryeowook said with childish deviousness, eyeing Kyuhyun’s breakfast as he tried to maintain his look of unhappiness. 

Mr. Kim rolled his eyes and returned to cutting Kyuhyun’s hair. 

“Please appa, please please please?” the boy whined. 

“No, those are Kyuhyunnie’s.” 

“But-“

“Um, it’s okay. Ryeowookie can have them…so he can feel better,” Kyuhyun said quietly, happy that he finally had his friend’s (almost) undivided attention. 

“Let’s share Kyuhyunnie!” Ryeowook chirped enthusiastically, “I’ll feed you, okay?” 

Kyuhyun’s cheeks turned pink. 

“…Okay.” 

“Don’t spill any chocolate sauce, Ryeowookie.” 

The boy poked a square of cut-up pancake with his fork and carefully carried it to Kyuhyun’s mouth, sticking it in the boy’s mouth. He then stuffed one in his own mouth, happily chewing. 

“Iz goof wight, hyunnie?” 

“Don’t chew with your mouth open, Ryeowook-ah.” 

He swallowed dramatically. 

“I said, ‘It’s good right, Kyuhyunnie?’” 

Kyuhyun looked ambivalent. 

“It’s too sweet.” 

Ryeowook harrumphed. 

“Fine, no more for you!” 

“No, I want some!” Kyuhyun closed his eyes and opened his mouth, waiting for another piece. 

Ryeowook casually stabbed one on his plate then pushed it into Kyuhyun’s mouth. 

“Ow! Ryeowookie that hurt! You pokeded my tongue!” 

“That’s what you get,” the annoyed boy muttered. 

“Ryeowook, say sorry,” his father said. 

“Sowwy, Kyuhyunnie,” Ryeowook said unapologetically, sticking out his tongue.

“More,” Kyuhyun demanded, opening his mouth once more. 

Ryeowook stuffed two pieces in his own mouth while staring at Kyuhyun, then picked a small piece and inserted it – gently this time – in Kyuhyun’s mouth, then stuffed two more in his own mouth at full-speed. 

The barber sighed, watching the two of them go at it, turning on the handheld blow dryer and drying off Kyuhyun’s hair. During this time the two boys continued their duel of pancakes, except Kyuhyun had started biting down on the fork, making it harder and harder for Ryeowook to feed him and himself until an equivalent distribution truce of pancake pieces was established. 

By the time Kyuhyun’s hair was dried and the gown pulled off, both boys were stuffed, crumbs and chocolate sauce all over their mouths. 

“You ate more Ryeowook-ah, that’s not fair!” 

Ryeowook tittered haughtily, no trace of apology on his face. 

“It’s because you’re so mean, Kyuhyunnie-ah!” 

“I’m not mean! You only think I’m mean because you’re a dumb dumb, dumb dumb-ah!” The boy jumped out of his seat and stretched, happy with himself. 

“What did you say, Kyuhyunnie?” Ryeowook poked Kyuhyun’s exposed tummy and Kyuhyun gasped, sharply pulling away. 

“Hmm?” Ryeowook did it again and observed as Kyuhyun pulled away once more. 

Ryeowook's face took on a mischievous expression. He started poking at Kyuhyun non-stop, chasing the boy around the store, laughing evilly, eventually chasing Kyuhyun out of the store as ran after his departing father.