Twelve years old - November

Barber Shop Stories

It was a cool fall evening. The days were getting shorter, the gusts of wind colder and the trees barer. Ryeowook was in the back of the cozy barber shop, practicing cutting hair on a training mannequin. He was manning the store himself that night, his voice echoing off the walls as he sang along to the songs on his new mp3 player. His father and Mrs. Lee, who were still continuing their working relationship, had stepped upstairs to grab a bite to eat while the store was devoid of customers. 

Ryeowook was off in his own world, working hard and singing his heart out, losing track of time. All of a sudden, he felt the headphones being pulled out of his ears. 

“Oi, idiot!” 

Ryeowook craned his head back, noting a familiar boy with dark hair and dark eyes displaying both annoyance and amusement. 

“Oh, hi Kyuhyunnie!” Ryeowook turned around, seeing that Mr. Cho had already quietly settled himself into his customary seat in the waiting area. “I didn’t even notice you had come in!” 

“Of course you didn’t, fool. Your screechy voice was so loud that you didn’t even hear us when we called out for you. What would have happened if we were bad guys?” 

“It’s okay Kyuhyunnie, you’re not bad guys!” Ryeowook beamed. 

Mr. Cho rubbed his forehead, exasperated, choosing to bury himself in a sports magazine instead of dealing with the boy’s naiveté.

“So what are you doing?” 

“I’m practicing cutting hair! See, isn’t this fringe nice?” 

Kyuhyun shrugged noncommittally. 

“I guess so.” 

“I’ve been working hard at cutting hair!” 

“So it’s happening then? You’re completely sure?” 

Ryeowook tilted his head questioningly. 

“You’re going to become a barber? Not a singer?” 

“Of course! Seriously Kyuhyunnie, you ask me every time we talk over the phone and my answer hasn’t changed.”

“I know, but… I don’t want that to happen. I don’t want you to quit singing,” he said, sad.

Ryeowook sighed longingly. 

“I really like singing, Kyuhyunnie. Really really like singing. But I have to think about what’s most important - that’s what Uncle Song said. And I thought about it really hard and decided that my family is the most important. If appa’s carp funnels keeps on hurting him, then he won’t be able to work. If he can’t work, then we won’t make money. If we can’t make money then we can’t buy food and games. And we will have to sell the barber shop. I love the barber shop!” Ryeowook declared, emotional. 

Mr. Cho looked up from his magazine, annoyed that the boys were broaching the subject of singing. Although his wife had told him to stop being so forceful about his opinions on music, he couldn’t stop himself from getting irritated about the fact that Ryeowook was breaking the terms that he had presented to the boy's father years prior. He decided he should talk with the barber once more about that son of his after Kyuhyun’s haircut was completed. For now, he decided to try to let it go, in accordance with the deal he had made with his wife. 

Kyuhyun spent several seconds intensely considering what Ryeowook said, then let out a long, drawn-out sigh. 

“Fine.” 

“What?” 

“Fine, I won’t ask again. Because it’s for your family. If you want to be a barber, then you can be a barber.” He scowled and ran his fingers through his hair, muttering to himself: “I guess it’s up to me then...”

“Hm?” 

“Nothing. So you’re going to give up singing completely then? You better not be or else!” 

Ryeowook shook his head dramatically. 

“I can’t give up singing like that! I like singing too, too much. I’m just going to sing for fun from now on.” He smiled self-consciously, holding his arms to his chest, as if he was treasuring something precious. 

“See, Kyuhyun! That’s how you make a plan for the future and work towards it!” Mr. Cho interjected, unable to keep himself out of the conversation. “Ryeowook is going to work as a barber and sing as a hobby. He’ll make money as a barber and then sing to keep himself happy while making some extra money on the side. That’s how an adult plans for the future. Adults don’t make stupid, on-the-fly decisions like ‘I want to be a singer’ and then carry them out.”

Kyuhyun flushed in rage, his back facing his father. 

“What, you thought I didn’t know Kyuhyun-ah? I overheard you and your vocal instructor talking about auditioning for entertainment companies several months ago. I told her never to speak about it again that very same day – why do you think she told you it was an impossible dream the next week? You need to grow up and face your responsibilities, son. And being a singer isn’t one of them,” he lectured coolly. 

Kyuhyun’s hands were now clenched. He was shaking in anger. 

Ryeowook took one glance at his stressed out friend and scowled, ready to yell at Mr. Cho, but Kyuhyun placed a finger to his lips, telling him to be quiet. 

“It’s no use,” he whispered with difficulty, suppressed anger very evident in his voice. “Appa is always like this. Even at home. Just ignore him. That’s what I do at home.” 

Ryeowook nodded hesitantly, worry etched on his face. 

Kyuhyun took several deep breaths in and out, calming himself, then continued on. 

“So, what were you working on?” He said lightly, pointing towards the mannequin that the boy was styling earlier. 

“Appa said that to become a barber, I need to practice cutting hair a lot. I decided that next year, I’m going to help appa cut hair. I’ll cut hair like a professional. Everyone will call me the youngest and greatest barber ever!” he declared, full of himself. 

“You still have a long way to go, Ryeowookie,” said Mr. Kim as he walked down the back staircase. “You have a good eye for hairstyles, but your haircuts don’t match your hairstyles. Remember the hedgehog style?” He casually nodded in greeting towards Mr. Cho then turned around, sniggering at his son. 

“Appa, we said we would never mention it ever again!” 

He laughed, ruffling his son’s hair. 

“So Kyuhyun-ah, are you here for a new hairstyle?” 

“Yes, Mister.” 

“Wow, you’ve gotten taller again,” he remarked as he sized up the boy. “You’re practically my height! Here, have a seat.” 

Kyuhyun settled himself down on the barber chair and Mr. Kim draped a gown around him. 

“Great. Ryeowook-ah, what do you have for Kyuhyunnie this time?” He said as he put on his apron. 

“Mister, you’re doing the haircut today? Aren’t you supposed to be resting?” 

“Yes, I am, but I can’t let my skills get rusty, can I? Every once in a while I do a haircut. My wrist is feeling much better already. I promised my son that I would take my time and do it slowly so I don’t hurt myself, right Ryeowookie?” 

“He did! He promised he wouldn’t hurt himself otherwise he has to wear his wrist brace all day for the next month!” Ryeowook called from his corner at the back of the store as he sorted through his mannequin heads. He found the one he was looking for and carried it back to the table in front of Kyuhyun. 

“Ta-dah!” 

The barber and Kyuhyun stared at the mess of a mannequin, unsure how to continue. The hair strands were cut unequally - each with differing lengths, making the whole thing look like a fuzzy lopsided toupee on a balding elderly man. Kyuhyun snorted. 

“What the hell is that?!” 

“Kyuhyun, language!” called Mr. Cho from his seat. 

Ryeowook looked hurt. 

“I tried my best,” he said, pouting. 

Kyuhyun erupted into a fit of laughter. 

“And you hope to be a professional barber someday?”

Mr. Kim smiled gently, wanting to nurture his son’s skills. 

“You’re getting there Ryeowook. Keep practicing, okay? You’re making sketches for each of your hairstyles now, right? Can I see it?” 

Ryeowook ran off and returned with a large rolled up piece of paper. He unfurled it with a flourish, showing it to his father and his friend. 

Kyuhyun’s eyes scanned the page. 

“Whoa, Ryeowook-ah!” he exclaimed. “That looks awesome!” 

Ryeowook puffed out his chest, beaming with pride. 

“Sohyunnie and I have been practicing drawing together during art class everyday. We’ve been been practicing how to cut hair together too! She’s good at cutting hair but I’m way better at drawing, right?” 

“This looks like me!” Kyuhyun’s voice was filled with disbelief. “I still remember when all your drawings looked like a hairy elephant vomited on the page!” 

The older boy grimaced, insulted. 

“My drawings never looked like that!” 

“So Ryeowook, you wanted the razor here, with several different lengths in this area?” asked the barber, studying the sketch. 

“Yes, appa, ‘2’ here and ‘3’ here.” 

“And what about this?” He pointed to the crown of the drawing. 

“This time is should be flat down. Like bangs but thinner?” 

“Oh, I see what you mean. Got it.” The barber rolled up the drawing. 

Kyuhyun bit his lip, disappointed at seeing the drawing gone. 

“Um, Mister. Can I- Can I maybe keep that?” 

Ryeowook threw his hands up in the air, eyes sparkling. 

“You like it that much Kyuhyunnie? That much? You like my skill? I’m so skilled.” He circled his arms around Kyuhyun’s head, hugging him. “I’ll go pack it up especially for you, okay?” 

“I don’t need it packed Ryeowook-ah,” said Kyuhyun sarcastically, rolling his eyes. 

“Oh, I insist,” replied the overjoyed boy. He snatched the paper tube away from his father and settled at his work table with some wrapping paper and ribbon.

By the time Ryeowook returned from making the package look pretty, the barber was about finished up with Kyuhyun’s haircut. 

“Appa!” he said sharply. 

The barber jumped in surprise. 

“Ryeowook, don’t do that. I might have hurt Kyuhyunnie.” 

“Sorry appa, but you promised!” 

“What?” 

“You promised that you’d go slow! It’s only been 10 minutes!” Ryeowook showed him the stopwatch that he had loaded on his father’s smartphone. 

The barber blanched. 

“Umm, this one was quite an easy one Ryeowook-ah. That’s why I did it so quickly,” he said airily. 

“Oh, was it?” The boy cocked his head to the side, trying to figure out whether his father was lying to him or not. 

“Yes, it was pretty easy, wasn’t it Kyuhyun-ah?” The barber stared unflinchingly at the boy, willing him to agree. 

Sensing that he might be in trouble if he said otherwise, Kyuhyun complied: 

“It wasn’t hard Ryeowook-ah.” 

The older boy looked sternly between his father and Kyuhyun, studying them, then nodded. 

“So, how do you like it Kyuhyun-ah?” 

Kyuhyun surveyed himself in the mirror, moving his head from side-to-side to see clearly. 

“Who am I supposed to look like this time, Ryeowook-ah?” He asked.

Ryeowook rolled his eyes. 

“No-one! This time I picked a hairstyle that I liked on Kyuhyunnie. You look good; very symmetrical. Except…” He climbed onto his step stool and started nitpicking over Kyuhyun’s hair, moving small tufts here and there while muttering to himself. Kyuhyun closed his eyes and sat patiently, enjoying the sensation of his friend playing with his hair. 

“There, perfect. What do you think Kyuhyun-ah?” 

Kyuhyun tried to shake himself out of his daze. 

“It’s good, I think.” He commented absentmindedly. 

Ryeowook slapped him on the back, hard, guffawing. 

“Next time you come here, I’ll be the Master Barber! So you better be ready, Kyuhyunnie!” 

“Oh?”

“What?” 

“Master Barber, eh?” 

“Obviously.” 

Kyuhyun sniggered, looking away.

“Whatever you say, Ryeowook-ah.”

Ryeowook hit him. 

“Fine, then. I’m not giving it to you.” 

“Giving me what?” 

“This.” He showed Kyuhyun the gaudily wrapped tube-like package. 

“Who the hell wants that?” 

“Kyuhyun, watch your language,” muttered Mr. Cho. 

“Call me Master Barber, Kyuhyunnie.” 

The younger boy laughed. 

“Not happening.” And as quick as a fox, he snatched the package away from Ryeowook and darted out the door. 

Ryeowook froze for a full five seconds, trying to gather what had happened, then ran to the door, stuck his head outside and started yelling G-rated profanities at the other boy across the parking lot. 

Mr. Cho finally tore his eyes away from his magazine and stood up to pay for the haircut. 

“I’m sincerely glad that you’re feeling better. It sounds like you had a relaxing vacation, at least?” He said, passing the barber his credit card. 

The barber laughed and nodded. 

“Anyway, I wanted to bring something up,” said Mr. Cho seriously, avoiding the other’s man gaze as he took his time surveying his recipt and signing off on it. “I noticed that your son has started talking about music and singing with Kyuhyun once more. I’d like you to remember our discussion.” 

“Well, I’ve tried, Mr. Cho, but both Ryeowook and Kyuhyun seem to have different plans,” the barber replied patiently. “As I said before, Ryeowook is very assertive and no amount of punishment is going to get him to do something he isn’t ready to do. I think the same goes for your son as well, don’t you?” He crossed his fingers behind his back, preparing himself for the lie he was going to tell, justifying that it was all for Kyuhyun’s sake. “Anyway, my son is unfortunately not even interested in becoming a singer anymore, so I doubt that he could influence your son to become a singer now either. So I apologize, Mr. Cho, but I can’t do anything about it.” 

The other man opened his mouth, as if about to say something, then shut it, his eyes darting about, unsure of what to say. Several awkward seconds passed as the barber stared directly at him, unfaltering. 

“Well,” Mr. Cho said, coughing politely, his face showing a mixture of annoyance and discomfort, “Well, I’m glad your son is making better life decisions now, at least. It sounds like he’s shaping up to be a good, reliable man for that Sohyun girl. I was worried, but it seems like it wasn’t an issue. Maybe my son will learn from him as well.” He nodded curtly and left the shop, stiff-backed.