the light in the end is worth the pain

Just Close Your Eyes to See

word count: 2000~

 


3i.

Jongin is just so bright Soojung can feel it on her palms whenever Jongin would reach up for her hands to take her books from her and replace it with his own.

It feels nice--it always felt nice--the way Jongin would lead her down the stairs to take her to bus stop and to take her home from there even though he had to take two back to get home himself. It bothered her so much at first, but Jongin explained that he likes seeing her home safe and that you should just thank me because i, the ever handsome kim jongin is taking jung soojung home.

"Handsome, eh?"

"Deep in my bones."

Soojung laughs it off but Jongin didn't seem he mind.

Jongin greeted Soojung's mother as she opens the door for them, "Staying for dinner, Jongin-ah?"

"Uhm. Thank you Mrs. Jung but dad have visitors and yeah, you know family stuffs."

"Oh I see. Be careful back home, yes?"

"Yes." Jongin turns to Soojung to give a smile, "See you tomorrow Soojung-ah."

"Yeah." Soojung breathes, "See you."

 


2i.

First meeting was the cliche late enrollee.

"Hi. I'm Kim Jongin. You?"

The whole class laughed it off and everyone started to like the new character in their batch. Jongin had sat behind Soojung. She can hear him introducing himself to everyone who sat closely to his desk, and wonders what would he say or maybe react if ever he introduced himself personally to her.

Then there's a tap on her left shoulder, "Hi. I'm Kim Jongin. You are?"

Soojung turns around slightly, not fully turning back and not meeting his gaze, "J-Jung Soojung."

He was silent for a few seconds, "Nice to meet you. Let's be friends?"

Soojung smiles and nodded.

 


1i.

The first time Soojung experienced bullying was when she's seven. It didn't involve physical beatings, just lying. Soojung can't help but feel helpless though and she just cried to her mom after realizing that the classmate who offered her notes for Soojung to review lied to her. The notebook was blank.

 


3ii.

"Where are we going?" Soojung said from the back of Jongin's bicycle. Her arms wrapped on his torso. "You're too fast Jongin-ah."

"Sorry."

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere."

"That didn't help."

"We're taking the route to the small chapel, see, there's the ice cream shop."

"But we haven't gone further than the ice cream shop."

"Well, yeah. You'll see."

Soojung sighs at that. "Jongin."

Jongin bit his lower lip upon realizing his tiny mistake, but his gaze turned determined, "I promise. You'll see."

Soojung is sure Jongin feels her arms tighten.

 


3iii.

Soojung can say that she's average. Some complications, but still average. She has a father who works in an insurance company and a mother who makes some cookies for extra earnings. She goes to a normal school, trying to get a high grades for future use together with a handful of friends.

"Hey Soojung, just review the ones I highlighted, okay?" Hyeri said as she place the cap of her neon pink highlighter back.

"Okay. Thanks Hyeri-yah."

"No problem."

"Say Soojung, you want to borrow my notes on Chem?" Minhyuk offered.

"Soojung, no. His handwriting , believe me." Joohee whispered not too dicreetly.

"Continue on. I'm not here." Minhyuk had said, making Joohee coo something about aw minhyukkie is being sensitive.

"I already wrote notes on Chem for Soojung so everything's fine."

"You sure are the most considerate guy I ever met, Jongin." Minhyuk jokes.

"You're just lazy."

"I heard that Song."

"Bleh."

"Hey guys." Soojung called out, making everyone  turn to look at her, "Thank you's are not enough. I'm grateful."

Everyone is silent. Soojung can feel all their gazes at her.

"You know it's fine, that we don't mind." Hyeri said, voice only a little above whisper, but Soojung thinks it's enough for her to hear because we're your friends and it's not your fault alongside with it.

 


2ii.

Soojung got to talk to Jongin the second time when Hyeri was out to her cram school and she had stayed late to wait for her notes in the computer laboratory. She missed a step on the stairs, she had held her breath to wait to hear a thud and a whine of pain from herself but all she heard was "Woah, there, be careful."

"Sorry."

"It's fine. Where are you going anyway?"

"Uh.."

"It's me. Jongin."

"Oh, Jongin-ssi. I--well, I'm going home."

"Aren't you supposed to go with Hyeri?" Jongin asked while he slightly tug at her wrist.

"I--yeah. But it's always just me when exams are coming up because she has to attend cram classes." Jongin hummed. "Jongin-ssi?"

"Soojung-ssi?"

"I'm fine. You don't have to bother yourself."

Jongin didn't answer for a few moments, their steps echoing faintly at the empty hallway, "I'm fine too--and I'm helping a friend."

"I--"

"I thought I made it clear I want to be friends since day one."

"..Okay."

Jongin had insisted to take her home, but she argued that her mom would be at the stop anyway so he doesn't really need to go.

"Fine. But next time."

"Next time?"

"Yeah, next time."

The next time had been the next day.

 


1ii.

Soojung was bullied again. The same thing again and again. Her mom had asked her if she wants to transfer but she said she doesn't want to.

"Why?"

"Mom. Do you think the kids there wouldn't do what the other kids are currently doing to me?"

 


1iii.

Maybe because she can't write, Soojung thought when she tries to find a reason why the kids assigned by her teacher at school to gave her extra copy of notes were blank. Maybe because they just simply don't like her because she isn't friendly, only talking when a teacher asked her to. Or maybe because she's a burden to them, writing the same notes twice just to give to another kid is probably an annoying task for kids who wants to go home immediately to play.

 


4i.

"Hi."

"Jongin."

"How are you?"

"I'm not sure what I feel, really."

Jongin chuckled and tucked some strands of her hair behind her left ear. "It'll be fine. Don't worry."

"Jongin?"

"Soojung?"

"Thank you, and.."

 


3iv.

It was their last year in high school and a month until graduation, that their teachers starts to bug them about thinking what they would want to take in college because college degree is essential these days like what their vice principal had said.

"What do you plan to take, Hyeri-yah?"

"I really want to major in Arts. You?"

"I'm not sure." Soojung answered and pout to herself.

It's actually a big problem. Soojung thinks, what could be someone like her can do.

"What about you Jongin?" Hyeri asked.

"Dunno. A course with a big earning job preferably."

"Being too practical are we?" Minhyuk teased.

"Maybe, maybe not."

"But I thought you want to dance?" Joohee inquired.

Jongin didn't answer for awhile, "That can wait. I don't have someone to show it off yet anyway."

 


4ii.

"And?"

Soojung fist the white sheets, "I love you."

There's a beat of silence and a soft and short touch of lips to skin, "I love you, too."

 


3v.

"Why did you take a business major? Surely, they won't ask you to dance while you try computing revenues and tax rates." Soojung asked while sipping her iced coffee.

"The reason is a secret you may or may not know in the future." Jongin answers her while he opens the door to her next class.

She scoffs at his answer.

"Take your seat princess. Wait for me later."

Soojung hums, "Study well. Don't sleep."

Maybe if Soojung isn't busy reading her syllabus specially provided for her, she would notice Jongin talking to her seatmates, asking if they could be there for Soojung if ever she needs help.

 


1iv.

"Mom? What does a rose look like?"

Soojung hears her mother sigh. "Why?"

"My teacher said it's beautiful, and I really want to see one."

 


3vi.

"Jongin."

"Soojung."

"I miss him."

"I miss uncle too."

"Jongin."

"Soojung."

Soojung nestles herself more in Jongin's arms, "Thank you."

Jongin sighs in contentment, "You're welcome, princess."

 


1iv.

"Why don't you go in a school where kids like you should be? You are getting us to do more work while the teachers give you special treatment."

"I'm sorry."

"You are always saying that, but you really don't do anything about it."

Because I can't. "I..Please put up with me."

 


2iii.

It was on the fourth time that Jongin takes her home that she knew Jongin takes two buses so he could go back.

"Jongin, you are insane."

"Soojung, I am not."

"Oh but I think you are, considering the fare you paid is thrice than you are suppose to spend."

"A little sacrifice is fine."

"Jongin."

"Soojung."

"This isn't little for me. This is huge."

"But I like doing this."

"Jong-"

"Are you going to stop me from doing something I take comfort in?"

 


4iii.

Soojung waits with bated breath, for the doctor's signal. She's scared, because there is still a tiny possibility that this might not work. She fists the white sheets with one hand and squeezes Jongin's with the other.

 


3vii.

It was sunny, because Soojung feels humid air against her skin as she and Jongin waits for their ice cream.

"Jongin."

"Soojung."

"Why do you work so hard?"

"Isn't that what a normal resident is supposed to do? I mean, we all want a good life, yes?"

"Yes, but.." Soojung pauses as Jongin holds her hand open to close it on an ice cream cone. "..there's something different in the way you, uh, work? You barely gotten out in college, but you work like, like someone in desperate need? I don't know."

"Do you want me to be honest?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Because I want to take you somewhere, where you would see everything you've wanted to see. And I want to do it sooner than soon, Soojung."

 


4iv.

"Soojung," the doctor said as she loosens the cotton like clothe around her eyes, "are you ready?"

 


3viii.

"I want you to see your mom's smile, because that is your first wish, right? I want you to see what a rose looked like. I want you to see how bad Minhyuk's handwriting is."

Soojung can feel the ice cream melting, its dripping to a large expanse on the back of her hand. It's sticky, but she could care less than that while Jongin tries to dry the tears on her cheeks.

"As a compensation though, I want you to look me with eyes smiling and saying this.."

 


4v.

"Open your eyes."

 


3ix.

Soojung decides then that Jongin is awful. Who even makes someone cry while they are currently sitting in a public place eating ice cream. Who even confesses on a time when they are both sweaty because the weather is too hot.

But Soojung decides then too that Jongin is.. so.. Jongin. How he kissed her for the first time right there chastely. How he said he's sorry for making her cry while he cleans up her hand with his hankerchief, which he said he managed to wet with the help of the worker currently watering the public garden.

And also, Soojung decides she had always love him.

 


4vi.

The first thing Soojung sees is her mom. "Honey?"

Soojung laughs with tears gathering in her eyes because her mom is smiling at her. She let of the sheets to hug her mother then Soojung turns to her right and laughs again, now the tears finally kissing down her cheeks because he's holding a bouquet of what she assumes dozens of roses in front of his face.

"Jongin you idiot."

Jongin lowers it a little, just enough for Soojung to see his eyes. "Where's my compensation?"

Soojung let out a lighthearted laugh, "Hello, handsome.."

 


3x.

"..and I am going to say,"

 


4vii.

Jongin lowers the bouquet, and Soojung's breath hitched, "Hello, Beautiful."

 

 

 

 

 

 


5i.

"Jongin."

"Soojung."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."