ένας

Love Blossom

     It is a clear bright Monday morning. An ideal way to start the day. But despite this, a preteen boy groggily walks to the bathroom to clean himself up and begin his day. It is the first day of school after all. Summer break went away as soon as it came. Much to every school kids' chagrin.

Entering the bathroom, the boy immediately places himself infront of the sink and stares at his reflection for a brief moment. He looks ugly, he concludes and laughs. Turning on the faucet he does his usual morning routine. He does not do any fancy thing that a lot of people assumes when they see his clear, healthy skin. No. What he only does is the usual washing of his face with a not-so-expensive facial wash and of course brushing his teeth. That's about it. He's just lucky he is born with such skin. He should give his mom all the credit.

Going down for breakfast is one the things he look forward for the day. His mom cooks the best foods, that's because. His family is simple yet their house is filled with a lovely atmosphere. There's his mom who is nothing but a wife but takes the role dutifully just the same as his father who works hard for them to have food in their mouths and shelter to stay on. And there's his annoying older sister, Hyejin is her name, but nonetheless he loves her as much as she loves him. This family of four, simple yet united is what he's thankful the most of. He wouldn't trade his family for anything.

It is a bit of a chaos -not really- as he enters the kitchen/dining room. He sees his father on his usual chair with a newspaper in left hand and a cup of black coffee on the right. Hyejin is helping arrange the table and his mother is in the last set of pancakes. He takes his seat, the one adjacent to his father, and drops his school bag beside him. Seemingly sensing his presence, the eldest of the househould takes his eyes off the newspaper for a second to greet the youngest. 'Good morning, son', he said smiling before continuing with his reading. He nods as an answer, although he knows very well, his father can't see him any longer. Typical, he chuckles to himself.

It's his mother who greets him good morning next. She gives the only son a heartwarming smile before informing that breakfast will be ready in a few. 'Thank you', is the only thing he could mutter.

He then turns to his older sister to greet her but stops midway when he sees her grinning at him. He furrows his eyebrows in complete confusion before uttering the 'what' question. His sister skips happily towards him, engulfing him in a tight hug. He gives no meaning to it until she whispered something to him that only a dry laugh could he give as a response. 'You're now a junior high baby brother. I give you now permission to fall in love.', she said. He so wants to roll his eyes. He really does.

As promised, the table is now filled with drool-worthy morning delicacies and just after saying grace they start to dig in. Breakfast goes uneventful. It's the same as any other days although his mother pointed out that it's been a while since they had breakfast together. His summer break was spent sleeping late and waking up late. His sister wasn't any better. So indeed, breakfast with the whole houshold present, is been awhile.

The children are ushered away from the room as soon as they finished their breakfast. They tries to persuade the mother of the household to let them help clean but is quickly turned down, professionally pointing out that they will be late for school. Reluctanly, the children agrees. They drag their feet towards the entrance of the house, slipping to their school shoes. They are asked if they want a ride to school by their father. Hyejin agrees, he does not. 'I'm meeting Kyungsoo and Minseok.', he reasons out. Putting his earphones in, he walks outside; missing the warning of his mother to bring an umbrella for it will rain in the afternoon.

The first day of school is, well, the same. It is always the same for the last three years. It's always the same three first day point. Point one, a ceremony welcoming the freshmen. Point two, homeroom works. And last but not the least, point three, club activities. Sighing, he tries to continue the day. They're still halfway point one after all.

Lunch break comes in a definite slow pace.-not that he's counting time. Nevertheless, he sits with his usual clique which only consists of two others. Kyungsoo and Minseok. Kyungsoo has always been his friend ever since he could remember while they met Minseok during freshman year. The three of them aren't exactly losers but neither popular. They belong to the middle group. They talk about summer breaks like they did not spend it together. They laugh as they recall their summer activities, which only consists of eating and sleep-overs, like its the most interesting topic ever. They are forced to stop though for the bell had rung and they need to proceed to point two. Homeroom.

Again, it's the same as it is. Just their homeroom teacher repeating school rules and such like it's never been said before. He isn't complaining, he appreciates the act but he wishes they do something more than this boring rules talk. Okay, maybe he's really complaining. Maybe.

Homeroom finishes after an hour and a half. He is never more thankful in his life that he is now. Finally, he'll be able to proceed to point three and finally home.

He's part of the Literature club. Ever since he picked the first Harry Potter book when he was 6, he knew he wanted to write one. Not another Harry Potter of course, but another book that he could call his own. It isn't a wise career choice if you think of it practically. But that what differs him from most people. It's heart over brain for him. And that's why he swears, that one day, no matter how hard it gets he will have his own book.

His club finishes way later than Kyungsoo's and Minseok's thus propelling him to go home alone. A lot of students are now gone. What surprises him though is the dark cloud above and a harsh fall of rain outside the school vicinity. He frowns. He isn't aware of the fact that it'll rain. He is not with an umbrella. It wasn't in the morning news. Then he remembers, he doesn't watch morning news. Cursing under his breath, he slumps in defeat. 'I guess I'll just wait for the rain to stop,' he mumbles to the dead air.

'Do you want share my umbrella?'

A deep voice is heard behind him making him yelp in the sudden intrusion. Recomposing himself, he turns to face the good samaritan only to be surprise once again. It's Park Chanyeol. The school's resident popular jock.

'Uhmmmm. No. I'll just wait for the rain to stop.' He declines the offer. 'Thanks though.'

'The clouds are really dark. I bet it will rain nonstop.” Park Chanyeols points out, observing the sky. He too, looks up at the sky above. The jock’s right, it’s really dark. 'Let’s go, I’ll walk you home.' The jock says suddenly and even before he could retaliate a response, toned, defined arms snakes through his shoulders ushering him inside the protection of the jock's umbrella. Suddenly stiff at the contact, he is left with no choice but to comply. They start walking away from school

No one talks. Not after he gives his hoise direction. Only the sound of falling rain against the umbrella and the occasional honking of the cars by the road can be heard. The silence isn't killing but it isn't comfortable either. It's just awkward.

They’re halfway through his house when he sums up the courage to finally speak. 'Can you release your arms from my shoulder? It’s kind of awkward.' He requests in an almost inaudible voice.

'What is that?' The jock asks.

'Your arms,' He repeats.

'Oh.' The jock immediately drops his arms from his shoulders. 'I’m sorry.' He apologizes. 'I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable.' He merely shakes his head in response.

There’s no more conversation happen after that and they continue their walk to his house silentlty. And after what seems like forever, the two arrive infront of his house gate. 'Thank you.' He says bowing ninety degrees to show his gratification for the jock's kindness.

'No problem. See you tomorrow at school— Uhmmm. Sorry, what did you say your name was?” Park Chanyeol asks, albeit shyly. 

 

'I didn't' He says but smile. 'But I'm Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.' He introduces himself. 'Sorry for not introducing earlier.'

'Nice name.' The jock grins at him. 'And don’t apologize, I didn’t introduce myself either. My name is Park—'

'— Chanyeol.' He finishes for him. 'I know. You don’t need to introduce yourself, everyone knows you.' He states teasingly. Chanyeol just smiles at him fondly.

'Right. Well, I'll see you tomorrow at school Bacon.' 'Thanks agai— wait what did you just call me?' He asks in pure disbelief. But Chanyeol's already 10 feet away from him giving him nothing but a peace sign. Tsk. What a guy, he shakes his head as a smile creeps into the corner of his mouth.

It isn't the same first day of school after all, he concludes later that night in his bed.

'It was nice.'


 

 

To my first generation readers... Is the last scene familiar? :D