Chapter 1.

"plus que ma propre vie."

Chapter One

Year 2007

Four pairs of eyes lifted up from the table as the door opened, and their two managers stepped in with another male.

“Everyone, this is Haehyun.  He will be joining you all in your trainings and debut with you all as the industry’s final group.”

The rest of the people in the room stared at the newest addition to the team, making Haehyun slightly nervous.  And you’re supposed to be the oldest among them, he chided himself slightly.

“Is he the final member?”

“He may or may not be.”

“What kind of stupid reply is that?”

Jya Min kicked the boy in the left leg, causing him to yell and glare at her.  “Such impudence.  What are you going to do when we debut as new and fresh meat in the industry?”

Dylan stared at her.  “Noona, I suppose I’ll go around frustrating the heck out of people then.”

Yekyung rolled his eyes at the boy as Kichul turned to address the managers.  “Hyung, have you told him everything?  About what we really do?”

The shorter manager, Kilum, nodded.

“And he said yes?”   Dylan asked, incredulous.

The other manager, Kani, chuckled affectionately.  “He has went through the same process as all of you did, you rude boy.”  He gestured for Haehyun to take a seat with them.  “Please get yourselves familiarized with one another.  Maknae is on her way and will come flying in in about 5seconds.”

Light running steps filled the hallway as everyone in the room chuckled, knowing Kani’s gift of time and measurement.

“Good grief oppa, why do you always do that,” the girl glared at her two mangers mockingly as she entered the room and seated herself in between Kichul and Haehyun.  “Oh, hello.  Did the rest of them say hi to you or harassed the managers regarding your presence?”

Haehyun was about to open his mouth when she swiveled back and attacked Kichul in an armlock.  “Yah oppa, where are your manners.  How rude of you, being one of the oldest here.”

“Yah!  I am your oppa with an of three years, let go of me!”

Jya Min laughed at the comedic act between the two in front of her, while the rest of them burst into guffaws again. 

“That’ll teach you,” Yasmin muttered as she let go of him and leaned back into her seat.  “So what’s this meeting for, besides introducing the latest addition to us?”

The atmosphere in the room turned serious, and they all focused onto the screen at the front of the room.  Kani and Kilum stepped in front and began.


Year 2009

“Remind me why the heck we are in this again?”

Jya Min glared at Dylan as she watched him through the glass panel, monitoring his movements and watching him go through the simulation process.  “Shut your trap and focus.”

“Oppa,” she acknowledged quietly as Haehyun let himself into the room as well, and he smiled at her as he folded his arms and leaned back against the wall to watch the team’s second youngest battle it out.

Dylan stared at the image floating in front of him, and he felt the first throbbing of pain hit his head.  He brushed it off quickly and swung, landing a punch onto the image’s shoulder.  He glared at the stupid stimulation which refused to die or get critically wounded.

More strength.

He heard the voice, but frustration and a headache were clouding his actions; his arm swung but he took a misstep and crashed onto the cold floor.

Gone.

Jya Min sprang forward and immediately hit the ‘stop’ button as Haehyun yanked the door opened, his face creased with worry.  It was the first time Dylan had collapsed in the midst of fighting and he crouched down next to the younger male.  “Dylan, can you hear me?”

Answer me.

Dylan!

A shriek was heard across their minds and Kichul’s voice reverberated in.

She’s fine, someone tugged on the area and it sent out a signal.

Haehyun breathed a sigh of relief as Jya Min placed her palm on Dylan’s head.  She may not be the best in healing, but she was only a level below Dylan.  If she could at least get him awake, he would be able to heal himself.

Hyung?  Noona?

Both older members breathed a sigh of relief as they watched their younger member stir, her palm still softly on his head as Haehyun spoke to him quietly.  “Dylan, are you able to heal yourself?”

“I…  I think so.”  Dylan sat up slowly, trying to regain his bearings.  His eyes widened in alarm and he looked at them frantically.  “Did something happen to maknae?  I heard her shriek.”

Haehyun patted his back comfortingly.  “Its fine, her mark was being tugged at.”

“Okay.”

Jya Min smiled at the younger one.  “Enough of training for today okay?  I’ll go get your stuff settled and we can get back to the rooms.”


Kichul sighed as the girl besides him muttered incoherently about “strangers touching me in weird places” and “I’ll kill all of them” as Yekyung placed an arm around her comfortingly, the three of them walking back to the dorms after their day out.

“Remind me why I allowed you to go off alone,” Kichul muttered, half-joking and half-serious.

Just earlier, she had gone off to walk the streets alone while Kichul and Yekyung were in the midst of studying the current group that was performing on the street.   She had been walking along the pathway when a few guys had blocked her path in a more secluded area.  Having been gifted in instinct as well, she knew that they had something up their sleeve.

When the first one approached her closer, she backed off slowly as he grinned, with three other guys following behind him.

Pain.

The first guy doubled over as pain filled his head, but it did not affect the rest of those behind him.  She frowned and sent a mental message while calculating her chances of fighting them or running for it.

“GET HER!” the guy in front thundered.

She ran at lightning speed, and was about to round a corner when one of the men caught up to her and grabbed hold of her right shoulder.  Fear had triggered the signal, not just touch.

“GET OFF HER!”

Kichul slammed into the first guy as Yekyung pulled her towards himself and crouched into a protective stance in front of her.  The three guys scoffed but while doing so, they felt the tension and breathlessness in the place.  They retreated slowly in five steps before running off.

Kichul stared after they had gone for awhile, knowing Yekyung was fully well able to protect her, and then whirled around to face the maknae.  “You okay?”

She nodded, seemingly alright but a bit shaken.  “Did the signal come out?”

“It’s alright,” Yekyung soothed their youngest, his hand petting her head.

Kichul nodded.  “At least we know what activates it now.  Fear and touch, besides us signaling it as well.”  He offered his other arm.  “Come on, let’s get home now.”