Goodbyes aren't forever

More than blood brothers

The sadness is palpable, the situation even more depressing. Tomorrow he will bear witness to a great loss, although fleeting, it is a loss indeed.

 

Kyuhyun rarely gets emotional. No. He never gets emotional except for those rare occasions where he is singing his heart out on stage. But that’s part of his being, his being as Cho Kyuhyun, the next generation crown prince of ballad.

 

But why does it have to be now? Especially when his 2nd solo is coming up in a few days?

 

He remembers the day he subtly pleaded with his ex-roommate to postpone his enlistment date. But that got shot down immediately. The reason being, it just wasn’t possible.

 

One has to accept the fact that things won’t always go according to our whims and fancies. That’s just how cruel the world is and being a grown-up man Kyuhyun knows it all too well. Its just that his heart isn’t ready to completely accept the impending loss, the emptiness that is gonna remain for two whole years staring at his face like a gaping hole.

 

And so he stands in the middle of the dorm’s living room. Its wiped clean and he feels a vacuum that suddenly the air out of his chest. He chokes as his rib cage collapses and racks with silent sobs.

 

Ah…The living room…..

 

So many wonderful memories, like the one where he and Hyukjae fought for the TV remote.

 

The kitchen….

 

Where he was mocked and made fun of for cooking up a sorry excuse of a ramen, Hyukjae’s gummy smile showing all 32 of his pearly whites. He chuckles as a tear drops on the kitchen counter-top.

 

The bathroom…

 

Where they had been sharing their toiletries ever since their debut and where Kyuhyun entertained Hyukjae by singing songs in the shower. His dearest hyung has called it completely annoying but Kyuhyun knows him all too well. Hyukjae thoroughly enjoyed it.

 

And a special mention to the times where he and his favorite hyung had walked in on each other after showering and continued wandering around the dorm in that state.

 

The bedroom….

 

Hyukjae has scolded him time and again never to mess up his part of the room as he has always liked it spotless. And Kyuhyun has almost always made it a point to annoy him by doing the exact opposite.

 

Ha ha….”That’s the job of the magnae!” he has reiterated just to see the red creeping up his hyung’s neck out of anger.

 

This is the dorm that opened the whole world to Kyuhyun, the world he is currently living in and the world where he is a star. All because of Super Junior, s and most importantly, his pillar of support.

 

He scolds himself to get his act together because he is a grown up man, no longer the magnae of the group who needed pampering. Because as much as Super Junior has nurtured his talent, it has given him the freedom to fly solo, to take on the stage as a one man army and to do what he does best and for that he can never be more grateful.

 

He breaks free of his reverie as he feels his phone vibrating from inside his jacket pocket.

 

It is Changmin, calling him for the nth time to show up at the get together, their last dinner together. Kyuhyun had simply refused to comply but Changmin knows him better. There is nothing a little nagging cant solve.

 

Reluctantly he agrees to make his presence felt over the phone and hangs up.

 

He turns around to take a look at the darkened hallway of the dorm room and a fresh wave of longing washes over him. He hurriedly exits and slams the door shut behind him and runs to get to the get together before his resolve breaks for good and he finds himself bawling.

 

His manager drives him to the restaurant. He finds Changmin standing alone outside supposedly waiting for him. He has his hands tucked inside the pocket of his jeans, his head covered in a woolly beanie to shield him from the dreary weather of the night.

 

Kyuhyun gets out of his car and is immediately embraced in the warmth of his companion and his best friend for eternity.

 

Damn it! All this enlistment is taking a toll on me. I need to prepare myself to send this brat off soon too.

 

After a few reassuring pats on the back, both enter into the restaurant where he is engulfed into a tidal wave of emotions.

 

Everyone is here. One by one his hyungs congratulate him on the impending release of his 2nd solo. But only one of them mocks him even at this hour.

 

His head is neatly shaved like it was mowed down into just a shock of black hair. His skin is devoid of makeup. For a moment Kyuhyun bites his tongue as he attempts to make a comeback with a snarky retort because he knows deep down that Hyukjae is most good-looking when he is bare. But he isn’t that weak-willed to let that complement slip out on the open since he wont hear the end of it from Hyukjae later.

 

As he approaches the gathering, he sees an empty spot beside the star-attraction of the evening. He is silently beckoned to sit beside Hyukjae.

 

As he turns his head, he is creeped out of his skin at the trademark gummy smile that welcomes him.

 

“I know you’ll miss me.” Says Hyukjae in a whisper.

 

“I don’t know why the hell you have that misconception.” Kyuhyun retorts but his emotions are splayed out for the whole world to behold.

 

“Awww….No need to be shy lil’ magnae!” Hyukjae shuffles his red-tinged hair. Kyuhyun hisses with annoyance and readjusts his hair.

 

“Maybe I’ll miss Donghae hyung in a couple of days. He is my favorite hyung after all. And he is a baby. So I guess I will be worried for him. But not for you.” Kyuhyun plays out and sees the tiny bit of hurt that flashes across those lovely pair of black orbs before it disappears altogether.

 

“Ah yes! Poor little Donghae.” Hyukjae chants as Donghae looks in his direction momentarily before continuing on his conversation with Siwon.

 

“Well you cant blame me if I am a bit prejudiced.” Kyuhyun clucks his tongue in response.

 

A minute into their chit-chat, Leeteuk interrupts them to give an emotional farewell speech followed by a shower of tears as the leader breaks down followed by Donghae, Ryeowook and Yesung.

 

“I shouldn’t have come.” Hyukjae hears Kyuhyun mutter under his breath.

 

“But you did. And I cant tell you how grateful I am that you did. I know you aren’t exactly the melodramatic one. Just your presence makes me happy.” Kyuhyun chokes up as he witnesses the sincerity of those words that reflect in Hyukjae’s eyes.

 

Hyung! You jerk! You just know how to push my buttons!

 

“Don’t go around gloating about your new song. I’ll be watching you!” Hyukjae says as he hugs him.

 

He simply nods and lets a tear or two slip out. He is well aware that no one is there to see that happening.

 

“I know you’ll do well. Slay them all like last time.” Hyukjae says and Kyuhyun wipes off the tears before he is released from the hug.

 

“I know you cried just now. So man up and admit it, you jerk!” Hyukjae hits his arm playfully as Kyuhyun chuckles and nods his head in disagreement.

 

“To be honest, your eyes creeped the hell out of me in the teaser. Poor Ara must be traumatized.” Now it is Kyuhyun’s turn to hit him albeit a bit harder on the shaved head.

 

“But now they look really pretty. Your eyes are pretty when you cry.” Hyukjae says as Kyuhyun recoils in embarrassment.

 

“Alright that’s it. You seriously need to get yourself a girlfriend once you come back.” Kyuhyun replies and Hyukjae laughs out loud.

 

“Can I have your attention please? Uh Heechul you can take your fabulous selfie some other time.” Leeteuk announced.

 

“This is the last dinner that Eunhyuk will get to have with us. With Super Junior. So Eunhyuk-ah I have a little surprise for you!” Leeteuk said and looked on as a cheerful trio emerges carrying a huge cake lit with candles.

 

And as if on cue, Kyuhyun’s mouth hangs wide open as he stares in Changmin’s direction.

 

“I see you brought on the cheering squad, Chwang!” he says and Changmin shrugs.

 

“It’s the least I can do and besides I couldn’t take Minho and Suho’s nagging all night long.” Changmin admits.

 

“Fair enough.” Says Kyuhyun and joins Hyukjae as he blows out the candles and cuts the cake, the very first piece being offered to him.

 

He reluctantly takes it and accepts the hug.

 

“I’ll miss you hyung. Come back safely.” Were the last words he said to Hyukjae as the get-together drew to a close.

 

The next day,

 

Despite the need to be there during his enlistment, Kyuhyun oddly finds absolutely no courage at all to go there in person and so he obediently stays at home.

 

His 2nd teaser is out and he cant help but admit that his eyes do look creepy in the video.

 

Eunhyuk hyung was right!

 

He hurriedly checks SNS and finds it flooded with messages from fans wishing Hyukjae to come back safely from his sabbatical.

 

He rummages his old stash of photos that he had clicked together with Hyukjae and posts a couple of them on twitter with a heartfelt message.

 

He knows his hyung would have probably gone inside the military grounds by now and probably cant see his tweet but he knows deep down that the feeling was there.

 

He knows that Hyukjae is strong enough to survive the harsh environment and he simply wishes his heart is strong enough to get past these two torturous years without his beloved brother by his side.


 

Awww ! My second bias is being sent off and here I am writing a fic out of the whole thing! Bad author! Bad!

Anyway, I know baby wasn’t there last night at Mouse Rabbit but I sort of improvised what it would be like if he was actually there!

This will be my parting gift for Hyukjae as he serves his two years in the military.

#WewillwaitforyouHyukjae is trending on Twitter.

Also baby’s 2nd teaser is out and I must say his acting skills are whoa! I mean the emotions were real! ING REAL I TELL YOU!

Fighting Lee Hyukjae and Cho Kyuhyun.

Now let me prepare my heart for day after tomorrow! /cries a gallon of tears/

Let me know what you guys thought about this one. Please comment and subscribe and I will be back with another one for Hae’s enlistment