In Deep (Oneshot)

In Deep

Sitting in front of me is the girl I’ve been crushing on for three years. And for those three years, I never had the confidence to tell her how I feel... not until now. She was wearing her hair up in a bun, some of her hair sticking in random places. But she doesn’t care and I don’t even care. I’ve always loved that look on her because I can absolutely see her untainted beauty without her locks covering her precious face.

And she just happened to laugh at a random comment I made over the cheese burger we were having. I swear, it was a pretty lame joke yet she laughed at it. Not the inaudible laughs she usually does to pay respect to the other person but the type wherein she just throws her head back, unable to resist the loud laugh escaping from . It did not even sound annoying. It was music to my ears, like those tiny little bells when you enter a candy store for the first time in your life. And believe me or not, she just looked as adorable as Agnes cuddling a fluffy unicorn.

When she tucked a few of her falling hair strands behind her ear, I felt my fingers flinch a bit. I could have done that if I was a little tad faster but no, my hand decided to freeze against the table. And so, I promised myself that the next time another strand falls, I will act like how a man does: lean closer and tuck it behind her ear.

“Okay, okay- Enough with the jokes, Taemin.. What are you planning to tell me?” She smiled, catching her breath after the laughs we just shared while I try to stay composed, and my heartbeat drumming faster.

“Oh, that. Um- I actually.. Ugh-“ .

Her head tilted to one side, curiosity filling her eyes as she waited for an answer. And just when I thought that I was ready with my declaration of love, my stupid and fragile heart decided to be a coward. (Yes, I even wrote my supposed-to-be lines on my palm just in case I overlook them. Let’s also not forget to mention the diamond-studded clip sitting in my pocket.)

“Did you just stutter, Mister Lee?”

“Can’t I tell it after the burger?” I pleaded as I give her a smile of uneasiness. She must have noticed it since she nodded without arguing any further.

And just when I thought everything was about to go smoothly, she asked for my hands. At first, my heart jumped a little at the thought of her asking for my hands. Maybe she’ll hold it against hers or maybe she has a very lame pick up line to say. But after a few nanoseconds, it struck to me that my cheat of sweet notes were scribbled on my left hand.

“Come on, give me your hands. I have a really good joke to tell.” The bun on top of her head bobbed as she nodded firmly, a couple of her locks falling against her cheek. And though I promised myself that I will keep them secured behind her lovely ears, I was frozen once more.

“Y-You can just tell me.” I defended myself, smiling back.

“It’s no fun if you don’t let me have your hands.”

A frown was already creeping on her face and I hated and loved it at the same time. It was pretty cute but ugly too. I didn’t like it overall so I decided to do what I should not do. Slowly, like a thief about to commit crime, I rested my fists on the table before opening them for her to see.

Seeing the untidy words jotted down, a glint of mischief took over her innocent eyes. And still, I loved it. The corner of her lips was curving up to form a smirk as if she learned something none of the other customers in the diner knows of.

Holy banana milk. I am done. She’ll either hate me or love me. But with the look playing on her face at the moment, I am not very sure. I cannot read it well.

“Who is this for?” She finally questioned. And at that instant, a million things ran into my mind. Should I just grab her face and lean in for a kiss so she’ll find out? Should I scream ‘You’ and run out of the establishment before embarrassment dawns on me? Should I pretend that this is a Disney musical and burst out into ‘Love is an Open Door’ while skipping on tables and chairs?

But what happened surprised me as well because for once, my fingers finally worked properly. I stared at the plate in front of me as I form an arrow of French fries pointing straight at her. My eyes snapped to her face and I guarantee that I saw her eyes widen at my sudden confession.

I watched as her lips opened and closed, unable to blurt out a single word. This girl is going to drive me crazy.

Oh God… She’s just so beautiful and I will be lying if I say that I’m not yet in too deep. I’ve been hiding all my feelings for too long and who would have thought that I’d be confessing with a bunch of potato slices. And just like those fries, she’s wonderful.

Finally, a soft laugh escaped her smooth, pink lips and my heartstrings cannot help but to twang. Not quite sure if it was for the upcoming answer or the lovely sound of her laugh.

“It took you quite long…” She stared right at me, lips curving up into a shy smile.

“Wait- So you know about it?” .

“I think everybody knows.” Everybody knows? Was I a little bit too obvious all this time?

“So…?” I played it cool, hoping that she doesn’t see the nervousness coming to me. And at that time, I thought that the time stopped or that all the people in the world paused for a moment and took some time to listen to her reply.

She didn’t speak though. Instead, she reached out for her plate and started out spelling a word with her French fries. Yes.

“Yes…” I read softly then looked at her to confirm that I didn’t misunderstand anything.

“Yes.” She grinned, her cheeks slightly blushing as the bun on top of her head bobbed once more as she nodded.

And now, sitting in front of me is the girl I’ve been crushing on for three years. And after mustering up all my courage, I finally got to confess and had a ‘yes’. Her hair was a little bit messier than it was earlier –could be due to her excessive nodding. But she doesn’t care and I don’t even care. I’ve always loved that look and will continue to love it. She was smiling so bright and I was smiling too hard that my cheeks were so high but I can’t help it. And in that very moment, I knew that I was officially in too deep.

A/N: Okay, I guess that's a bit too cheesy... And I am very sorry for doing too much cheese lately. It's been awhile since there's been a Taemin and IU interaction so I hope this makes up for the hidden feels that you're having. Hope that everyone liked it! Comments are very much appreciated. ^^ Thank you.