Part 2

The Sound Of Love

A/N:Finally, here it is the final part. I'd like to apologize for the long wait, but finals and writer's block got the best of me and it took me longer than what I expected. I hope I did a job good enough for you guys to enjoy it ^^

 

 

It was completely silent on Joohyun’s room save from the instrumental background music that was coming off of her computer. She had her eyes glued to the screen, almost boring holes into it. Trying to channel the ability to execute flowing and precise moves just as she did when she danced, Joohyun tried to mimic the movements of the lady in her laptop screen, while also checking her movements on the mirror perched atop her desk beside the electronic device. Once again the movement of her hands seemed way too flowery and she wouldn’t be surprised if the message she tried to convey was completely different from the one the woman on the screen was teaching. Groaning in frustration, Joohyun got up from the chair, flinging herself on top of her bed.

Sign language was way harder than Joohyun thought it would be. When she first googled it she almost choked on her own spit when she read how long it would take to perfect it.

Sign language isn’t any different than learning French or any other spoken language. It takes up to 2-3 years to reach an intermediate level.”

You need at least 6 months of practice to properly understand sign language. Learning how to talk it takes much longer.”

She had been intimidated at first. Joohyun was aware that she wasn’t the brightest crayon in the box, but if learning the language meant that she’d make communication with Seungwan more comfortable and easier to the brunette, she was willing to try until she got it right.  Seungwan never would ask that of Joohyun, but recalling how she reacted when the older girl first stated she would, she knew Seungwan was moved by her decision.

Joohyun had been shocked back then when Seungwan had revealed she had a speaking impediment. She had blankly stared at the brunette’s fearful eyes as her brain processed the information and the puzzle pieces of the times Seungwan’s behavior seemed odd were sliding in the right places.

-Why…Why didn’t you tell me before? – Joohyun had questioned, genuinely confused as why Seungwan would hide something that did not change her feelings towards the girl at all.

Seungwan’s face started to show remorse and shame as her eyes filled with tears and with a trembling lip she wrote again on the phone.

I was scared.

Joohyun’s heart shrunk at those words. Carefully picking Seungwan’s phone and putting it on the girl’s pocket just so she could hold both of her hands in hers, the older girl squeezed them trying to show reassurance. – Wan-ah…You don’t need to be scared of me, ok? I know you probably have your doubts but…I wouldn’t-I wouldn’t stop liking you because of your disability. I wish you’d told me before. – Seungwan ducked her head, guilt spreading. – I could’ve been prepared. I could’ve learned some sign language already…

At hearing those words Seungwan looked up again, blinking as the fear on her face gave place to a mix of astonishment and hopefulness. Pressing her lips together in a straight line, Seungwan retrieved and typed again on her phone and she turned the screen for Joohyun to read it.

You really mean it?

She looked at the other girl, eyes hopeful and innocent as of a child, and Joohyun felt close up when she thought maybe she was one of the few people in Seungwan’s life who were willing to make the effort for her. Seungwan really was too kind, too tender.

-Of course I do Wan-ah. You’ll get tired of having to type or write everything whenever we see each other. We’re both blabber mouths, remember? – She nudged the girl playfully with her their joined hands while giving her a smile, and for the first time after her confession, Seungwan cracked a small smile too.

-So what are you in the mood to eat? I’ll pay for you.- Joohyun said as she tugged Seungwan into the food court, eager to make the mood lighter. She had seen Seungwan’s eyes fill with tears and Joohyun knew immediately that it was something she wanted to happen as few times as it could. Seungwan apparently got antsy over the offer, shaking her head and waving her hand dismissively. She got her phone and typed again.

No way! I invited you here! I’ll pay!

Joohyun snorted at the text and just pushed the phone away from her face as she waved Seungwan off.

-I almost made you cry the first time we met Wan-ah. Let me do this for you, ok? –Letting go of Seungwan’s hand to loop her arm around the brunette’s shoulder and bring her closer, Joohyun rubbed the girl’s arm soothingly.

Seungwan blushed once again – and Joohyun smiled one more time; making Seungwan blush was almost as rewarding as making her laugh – and just nodded at Joohyun.

Determination won over frustration as she remembered Seungwan’s smile, and Joohyun shot up from her bed and marched back to her laptop. –Come on Joohyun, you can do this.

//

A few weeks passed and Joohyun felt that she made some progress, but she was still frustrated at how she took longer to get down all the specifics of the movements – if her palm should be turned up or down, how she positioned her other hand if the movement she was executing only needed one, should her fingers be stiff or slightly curved.

Getting over her pride to try and learn on her own, she assembled her own team of helpers.

First she asked Seungwan, for obvious reasons. She headed towards the house she had gotten familiar as of late, finding herself sat on Seungwan’s bed beside her in no time. Seungwan had the laptop opened in front of both of them.

Tell me what you think it’s getting on your way to learn it a faster pace.

Joohyun summarized what were her impediments to Seungwan, the younger giving her her full attention.

Okay, so I’ll type here what tips I can give you and then I’ll show you an example.

Joohyun nodded, scooting closer to Seungwan, bending her neck to read whatever the brunette wrote in the laptop.

Basically you have to keep it clean and simple when you use sign language. Don’t overdo it or do something flowery or you’ll end up saying something you don’t want to.

-Simple and clean. –Joohyun repeated and nodded to herself. – I think I was approaching from the wrong angle then. I thought that the fact that I dance would help me.

Seungwan smiled and shook her head slightly.

It might even get in the way. You’re natur-

-Ok wait a minute I’m going to get my neck stuck like this. – Joohyun complained as she interrupted Seungwan’s typing. The raven-haired girl squinted at the bed and the laptop, trying to find a solution. When she came up with one she had to suppress the sneaky smile that threatened to appear on her lips. She crawled behind Seungwan and separated her legs creating a comfortable space between them. With her heart beating a little fast Joohyun cleared before speaking up.

-Wan-ah, scoot back a little please. -  Seungwan looked over her shoulder to Joohyun and then ducked her head shyly.  Letting go of the laptop she supported her body with both hands as she shuffled back until she was between Joohyun’s legs.  Casually resting both her hands on top of Seungwan’s tummy, she planted her chin on the girl’s shoulder. Now she had the best view she could have asked.

Comfy?

Joohyun nodded lightly against Seungwan’s shoulder. She was sure if she opened at the moment her voice would come out octaves higher.

Okay back at you. You’re prone to add more to your movement since you’re a dancer. You’ll have to stop thinking about your movements like art and start thinking more practically.

Joohyun heaved a breath – Aww man why didn’t I pick theater instead of dance back in 8th grade? If I only knew…- She whined dramatically, rubbing her face against Seungwan’s shoulder. The brunette girl chuckled and tried to shake Joohyun off of it. The older pouted as she unburied her face from the warm shoulder and faced the screen again.

Aww come on, you can do it Hyunnie~! I know you can Hyunnie~

The older girl chuckled, but then her expression turned mischievous. – Is that how my name is written on your phone? “Hyunnie~”?

Seungwan turned her head away stubbornly.

I’m not telling.

-Come on! I’ll show you mine, here!- She bribed as she grabbed her phone from her back pocket, weaving her arm again under Seungwan’s and resting her hand back against the younger’s belly. – Look.

 She scrolled until she reached a contact named “♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥ “.

Seungwan smiled, first softly and then smugly.

Well, I win this round.

And she raised her own phone to Joohyun’s eyes where it showed her number saved under the name of “♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥ “.

Joohyun gasped mockingly and Seungwan laughed at her. – You can’t possibly have more hearts than I do. Give me that phone.

Seungwan pressed her lips in a line, trying not to laugh at Joohyun’s comical face. She shook her head no. – Bad move, Son. – Seungwan let out a surprised yelp when Joohyun tackled her to the bed, frantically trying to grasp the phone.

-Gimme that! – Joohyun laughed as Seungwan rolled over, big smile on her face and tears of laughter prickling the corner of her eyes.

At some point they forgot they were battling for the phone and kept playfully wrestling just for the fun of it. Seungwan was a cunning little cheater though, poking at Joohyun’s sides and blowing raspberries on her neck whenever the older got the upper hand. After some time Joohyun submitted.

Joohyun didn’t mind Seungwan’s rascal ways though, as long as they ended up like they were now, happily tired and lying against one another, Joohyun’s ear comfortably plastered against Seungwan’s chest, listening to the beats her heart made.

Needless to say, at the end of the day she ruled Seungwan out as her helper. Their meetings for “studying” clearly weren’t going to do much for Joohyun’s progress. Later she blasted Seulgi’s  and Krystal’s phones telling them to get the flashcards and the laptops ready.

//

Seungwan was born from parents that came from the music world. Her father was a musical actor and her mother was a classical singer. Growing up surrounded by music was a given. When she was a little baby all relatives and family friends joked with the couple how the little girl would easily surpass them if their talents were combined on her. 

It was a surprise when Seungwan reached 9 months old and the only sounds she’d make were hollow whistling sounds or gurgled cries.  When she was 1 year old and hadn’t said a word yet her parents finally consulted a doctor. Then, they found out Seungwan was born with damaged vocal chords, and wouldn’t be able to speak.

Seungwan was a good-natured, sensitive child that despite her disability was the opposite of silence and stillness. She was energetic and lively and had one too many adventures where either she, Sooyoung, or Jinri (or all the three) would present themselves with numerous scratches and dirt all over their bodies and clothes. She was still much too young to hold grudges over the kids who refused to play with her. She had Sooyoung and Jinri who understood the “hand language” as she called, so it was all good.

As she entered middle school things started to change. Jinri had to move back to Busan, and since Sooyoung was her junior by 2 years, she started 5th grade by herself. And the kids were much crueler than they were before. Still, Seungwan had a tender heart and never held it against them. She found solace in music, something she had grown to love since she was very little. She also had talent for it, and soon enough she was learning how to play 2 different instruments, and then 3. She dreamed of being a musician and follow on the footsteps of her parents. Whenever her school had talent shows she’d eagerly participate. And in the beginning she would always be selected as part of the showcase, given her talent of playing numerous instruments. 

As she grew older and advanced in years of middle school, it didn’t remain that way. The singers were favored over her, even if they could barely hold a tune. At first Seungwan shook it off; not everyone appreciated purely instrumental music and that was fine. But it happened over and over and over again and frustration started to worm its way into her heart. The bottled up frustration matured into anger that culminated in an episode where she threw her flute, saxophone and all sheet music she had in the pool, and then after she wreaked havoc in her own room, finally dissolving in tears when all her anger crashed down. Seungwan spent several months in a morose state, having to conclude 8th grade as a homeschooled student as she refused to go to school again.

After some convincing and talks from both her parents and her childhood friend Sooyoung, Seungwan started seeing a psychologist, and she went back to her instrumental lessons. It had been hard and the first months Seungwan was still very much warped into the resentment and frustration she felt towards her disability. Little by little she started to come around and her energetic good-natured self resurfaced.

It hadn’t been always easy. There was a time she didn’t accept her condition and Seungwan went through a lot of pain during that period.

Joohyun’s room had been quiet, cozy and dim-lit when Seungwan opened up to her about her childhood. They were having one more sleep-over when the lights went out and they ditched the movie they no longer could watch for Seungwan’s iPad in which they played countless games before Seungwan got curious about Joohyun’s childhood that inevitably led to her own.

Sometimes I just wish there would be a voice to follow the chords you know? :P

She typed on the iPad, trying not to finish her story on a sad note. Joohyun had only stared at her with her dark eyes that pierced through her own. Sincere Joohyun who wasn’t afraid to be her mischievous self and poked fun at Seungwan all the same without treating her like a china doll. Charming Joohyun who complimented Seungwan with a blush on her cheeks only because she genuinely thought so, not because she thought Seungwan deserved a pat on the back. Protective Joohyun who understood Seungwan far too well and only responded with an “I know” as she drew Seungwan in and pressed her lips against the brunette’s forehead in a comforting manner.

That night Joohyun didn’t bother with shyness and personal space as she held Seungwan close while they slept.

//

Seungwan had warned Joohyun that being around her wouldn’t be easy, and it didn’t take long for them to face the ugly side of the story. People were judgmental and prejudiced, and Joohyun felt that Seungwan had felt on her skin more often than not the truth of that fact – too often and Joohyun just wished she hadn’t.

Spring had officially started a few days ago and they were gearing up for the break. Seungwan would usually go on a short trip with her parents, seeing how the three of them loved getting to know new places. This year she was passing up the trip though, since Joohyun had a dance recital by the end of the break and Seungwan wouldn’t miss it for anything. Joohyun was a gracious dancer, even if Seungwan had only caught glimpses of it – funnily enough Seungwan had discovered that under all that playfulness and bluntness Joohyun was shy about showing off her dancing skills.

Saying then that convincing Joohyun to let Seungwan go watch her dance rehearsals was a battle of titans was a huge understatement. The brunette had innocently asked the older girl if she could accompany her to said dance practices and in turn Joohyun started getting red around the neck and face and she just shook her head frantically, while she paced around her room. Seungwan sassily quirked an eyebrow at the reaction.

-Why? –She signed when Joohyun’s shifty eyes finally rested on her – after months of struggle Joohyun could comfortably understand Seungwan’s sign language, even though she could barely sign ‘good morning’ herself.

Joohyun stammered like a fish, shoulders tight and hands flailing as she grabbed for an excuse.

-Lunch’s ready girls! Come eat! – Joohyun’s mother called out just in time and the big relieved smile that spread on her face made Seungwan squint at her.

-Bae Joohyun…You own me an explanation!-Seungwan signed and even though Seungwan’s use of her full name had her gulping, Joohyun only threw the brunette one of her cheeky smiles and took her hand to lead her to the kitchen.

-Can’t do that with an empty belly though! Let’s eat!

 The younger girl was set on getting Joohyun’s to cave though, grilling her about the matter for the entire day, but she only got her way when Mrs. Bae came to the rescue later that day.

-There’s nothing special about those rehearsals! You’d get bored-

-What! No way-

-Oh, Seungwan dear I forgot to ask you something. – Mrs. Bae popped in the living room where they were watching re-runs of dramas while still bickering.

The younger smiled and nodded to the older woman. – My colleague just gave birth so I’ll have to take over her shifts at the hospital until they can hire another nurse. That means I won’t be able to drive Joohyun to her dance rehearsals, would you be kind enough to do that for me?

Seungwan beamed and nodded immediately.- Yes!

-Thank you dear. Oh, there’s cut up fruit and sandwiches in the kitchen if you get hungry later.- Mrs. Bae smiled conspiratorially at the brunette and left the room before her gapping daughter could regain her voice.  Joohyun just stared at the smirking Seungwan before she dejectedly plopped down on the couch next to her.

Seungwan nudged Joohyun’s on the head with her nose. Not getting a response, she tapped the raven-haired girl on the chin. Sighing, Joohyun looked up to Seungwan.

-If you don’t want me to watch, I won’t ok? I was just messing with you, I didn’t mean to be pushy. – She signed as her fingers left the other girl’s face.

Joohyun bit her lip at the earnest expression on Seungwan’s face, shaking her head at her.

-You weren’t. It’s just- She heaved a sigh, color coming up again on her face as she shyly whispered her next words. – You-you are a distraction. I can’t focus on anything else when you’re around.

Seungwan felt the tips of her own ears heating up at the confession, her poor heart doing little flips on her chest. – I wasn’t aware, I’m sorry.

-Don’t. It’s not exactly a bad thing. – Joohyun shrugged as she smiled up at the brunette. Seungwan’s heart decided to do more extreme flips at the smile, and with her ears burning like charcoals she smiled back.

                                                                                               *             *             *

For the bigger part, Joohyun had been right. She spent the first rehearsals stumbling on her own feet whenever she got a glimpse of the smile Seungwan would always send her from the empty audience. The situation gradually changed as Seungwan started becoming a more and more ridiculous fangirl.

First she brought just a colored sheet of paper with several badly drawn stick figures cheering on her and “Hyunnie!” written on it. Joohyun had been so amused by Seungwan’s embarrassing antics as a purposeful distraction that she was able to focus on her dancing. By the last rehearsal Seungwan had progressed to wearing a light-up headband that had the sayings “Go!Go!” blinking in colors – this one made Seulgi actually pee her pants and excuse herself to change into dry leggings and it made Joohyun confirm her suspicions that maybe(certainly) Seungwan was doing it all to help her.

The dance recital went off without a hitch; Joohyun was a talented dancer that successfully delivered a nearly flawless number alongside Seulgi, her dance partner – truth be told Seungwan did not pay attention to Seulgi at all because the beauty of Joohyun’s moves were too mesmerizing.

After congratulating both girls – Seulgi with a grin and thumbs ups and Joohyun with a tight hug that put her on her tip toes – Seungwan suggested getting dinner as a nice way to end the day. Seulgi tactfully refused, eager to get home and catch up on the dramas she missed while practicing.

They parted ways with Seulgi and were slowly making their way out of the arts gymnasium – hands clasped and playfully swinging too forcefully because Joohyun was an overgrown child – when someone caught their attention.

-Hey Jae. Isn’t that the mousy girl from school? Never saw her out in the streets before!– A boy spoke up and Joohyun felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand at the word “mousy”.  

-Yeah, it’s the ‘tard. Not gonna greet ya friends? – Another boy spoke and Joohyun turned to shoot him a glare. She recognized them as the rich boys who’d hang around some of the other girl dancers like vultures. Seungwan tugged at her hand and only then, she realized how strong her grip was on the younger’s hand. The older girl swallowed the simmering anger in her gut and nodded against her will, only refraining herself from giving him a piece of her mind because Seungwan didn't like confrontation or violence.

-Oh, oh back the up. Did your little girlfriend there give me a dirty look? Oh this is too good. Not only you’re cripple you’re a dyke too? – He hollered. – What a dumb . We should teach her one thing or two, she wouldn’t even be able to scream or make any sound-

In a moment Joohyun’s hand was holding Seungwan’s and the next it wasn’t. The younger girl spun around in alarm in time to see Joohyun kick the laughing boy’s shin and then punch him in the nose when he crouched in pain. The other boy staggered backwards and fell on his , his face pale in astonishment. The older girl’s hands closed around the fallen boy’s collar like a vice as she shook him.

-If you ever-If you ever threaten her in any way-If you even look at her wrong I will end you. You got that? Answer me! – Joohyun’s voice shook with anger and the boy whined in pain, his head throbbing with the punch and the shook. – Answer me before I break the rest of your face! – Spit sprinkled his face as she yelled angrily and he nodded desperately. Joohyun released him and him and his friends scurried away from them.

Joohyun closed her eyes and brought her shaking hands to press against them. She didn’t even want to look at Seungwan because she knew the girl would be appalled. However, she couldn’t have had helped herself; she went into panic mode the moment she heard that random boy threaten Seungwan so easily. It was frightening to be forced to face the fact that even though the brunette was as capable as anyone Joohyun knew, Seungwan was still bound to be more vulnerable due her disability.

She felt a gentle tug on her jacket, but she only turned around when she felt it a second time. She opened her stinging eyes to face Seungwan, and she felt tears start to pool in them when she looked at the brunette’s woeful eyes.

-I’m so sorry. – Joohyun croaked out and Seungwan readily cupped her cheeks, tenderly brushing away the tears and shaking her head lightly. – I’m sorry, I should’ve-but he just-he just – She groaned when her voice cracked and she turned her face, partially hiding it in Seungwan’s palm. After a few beats of silence the brunette gently brought Joohyun’s head up. Taking her hands off the older girl’s face reluctantly, Seungwan signed.

-It’s okay. People who care about me react like that eventually.– Seungwan shrugged dejectedly, pushing out a resigned smile. - I told you that being around me was going to be hard.

Joohyun bit her lip when she understood the underlined message. She was being given an out.

-It’s a good thing you’re rich then, you’ll bail me out every time I end up in jail for breaking some ’s face. – Joohyun smiled cheekily even though her eyes were still wet. Out denied.

Seungwan’s sullen expression gave place to smiling eyes and bright laugh as Joohyun’s words settled in. The weight yanking her heart down lifted and she shook her head at the older girl’s silliness.

-Let’s find some ice for those knuckles then, you delinquent.- And she wrapped her arm around Joohyun’s waist, ushering her to start walking again. The older girl turned her puppy eyes to Seungwan and stuck her hand an inch away from the girl’s face.

-I’d rather have you kiss it better though. – The raven haired girl sent one more of her cheeky smiles and cackled a second after when Seungwan slapped her shoulder.

//

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:33pm

WAN

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:33pm

YEAH

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:34pm

-NA FIGHT?

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:34pm

…I’m ignoring you now.

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:35pm

Noooo! I’m just kidding pls come back <3

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:35pm

I finished my homework and now I’m bored. Recommend me some songs?

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:36pm

When I finish my own homework we can face-time so you won’t be bored ^^

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:36pm

Until then go listen Sugary Night. It’s a great song, I love listening to it while driving!

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:37pm

Ok ^^

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:42pm

…Wan-ah.

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:43pm

Yeah? Did you like the song?

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:43pm

I did, really. But…That song doesn’t really feel like a ‘driving’ song…

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:43pm

Honestly, it feels more like a ‘doing it on the backseat of a car’ song.

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:44pm

JOOHYUN!

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:44pm

WHAT! It does!

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:45pm

I’ll never be able to listen to that song again and not be reminded of this. Thanks a lot you ert.

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:45pm

I’m the ert? Haha

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:45pm

Can you recommend me another song though? One that’s not on your ‘y playlist’?

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:46pm

I’M TURNING OFF MY PHONE!

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:47pm

Sorry! Sorry I’ll stop! Hahahahahahahahaha

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:47pm

Think of a song that has beautiful words on it. A beautiful story.

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:48pm

…Alright. I just learned how to play ‘Oh my stars’. It’s a soft beautiful song.

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:48pm

PERFECT

To: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:48pm

You didn’t even listen to it yet you crazy cabbage lol

From: ♥♥♥ Hyunnie ♥♥♥

08:49pm

It’s just a feeling I have

The song was indeed perfect because it fell on Joohyun’s amateur singing range. It was an English song, but the lyrics were quite simple and Joohyun only had a little bit of trouble with the pronunciation. After listening to it a couple of times and asking SunYoung the soloist of the school’s choir for help, she managed to do the song justice.

Friday rolled around and Joohyun found herself heading to Seungwan’s house as usual. They bickered over which movie they would watch and after an entire afternoon of sugary snacks and not watching the movie at all(as always), Joohyun poked the sleepy Seungwan on the nose – she crinkled it in that way Joohyun loved – to call her attention.

-Hey Wan-ah. Can you go grab your guitar? I never heard you play an entire song before. – Seungwan nodded her head and instantly went to her guitar that was propped in the corner of her room. She sat back on the bed facing Joohyun and she positioned the instrument properly, blinking and twisting her lips like she always did when she was nervous.

-Play that song you told me to listen last week. ‘Oh my stars’.

Seungwan nodded and strummed the first notes. A note came out wrong and she cringed while smiling apologetically but Joohyun just shook her head and smiled softly in return. Then she finally got it right and the song started flowing well.

With her blood pumping loudly in her ears in nervousness, Joohyun took a deep breath and sung when the cue for the first line came.

“Have a seat upon this branch of mine,

It’s been a while, honey, I think I feel fine”

Seungwan blinked in surprise and then a big smile spread on her face at Joohyun’s sweet voice. The song had pretty words, Joohyun’s soft voice filled them beautifully and Seungwan’s guitar playing added color to them. The atmosphere of the room soon became intense as their eyes never wandered away from one another.

“Oh my my, oh my stars, everything you see is ours

Or it could be, if you would try

I wish you would, I wish you might

If everything you’ve said to me has been true,

Then all my stars are leading me to you.”

Joohyun’s fingers were tingling when the song came to an end and the only sound in the room were of their working lungs.

-You said-you said that sometimes you wished there was a voice to follow the chords so I thought…I’d try and be that voice. – She said timidly, her heart hammering wildly in her chest. She didn’t know if she had crossed a line; she just expected that Seungwan would understand she had the best of intentions.

Seungwan’s eyes turned impossibly softer at the confession and Joohyun could almost feel the caress of her affection just by looking at them. They had been dancing around the fact that they had yet to acknowledge their true feelings. Joohyun knew, Seungwan knew – everyone did, in fact – what were those feelings, but they didn’t speak about it; but right now everything seemed too out in the open to continue that way.

Seungwan’s emotions were in overdrive and she felt like her chest was going to burst – she didn’t know what to make of Joohyun. Everything she felt for the girl in front of her, it was too much, too big and too loud and Seungwan didn’t know how to say it all, except-

Seungwan let go of the guitar, and Joohyun widened her eyes when she recognized the beginning of the words the younger was trying to sign.

-Wait, don’t!- The raven-haired girl exclaimed, hands shooting up to hold Seungwan’s to stop her from saying what Joohyun knew she’d said. The brunette’s face immediately fell as her heart felt the stab of rejection and she looked confused at Joohyun. The older girl, seeing the hurt and confusion spreading on the other girl’s face, rushed to clear up the misunderstanding.

-Not yet. I wouldn’t know how to say it back properly. I feel it, believe me Seungwan I do, so much. But I can’t, not yet, because I don’t know how. I want to say it the right way. Do you understand? – She stumbled on her words, trying desperately to explain herself. Seungwan no longer looked hurt, but was still very confused. Joohyun groaned in frustration, not being able to express herself properly and reassure Seungwan of her feelings.

Biting her lip in hesitation, she did what she felt it could better translate what was in her heart. She cupped Seungwan’s cheeks in a soft but firm hold and kissed her. Seungwan responded immediately, scooting closer and resting her hands in the middle of Joohyun’s chest, feeling how the beats under her palms matched the ones inside her own.

-Understand? – Joohyun whispered after they parted, noses still brushing against one another’s and breathe mingling together. Seungwan opened her eyes and Joohyun didn’t even need the two little taps against her sternum to understand what Seungwan’s eyes cleary said.

-I do.

//

To: ♥♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥♥

09:01am

Baby?

To: ♥♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥♥

09:01am

Are you on your way yet?

From: ♥♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥♥

09:04am

We’re leaving the house right now!

From: ♥♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥♥

09:04am

I’m so sorry Hyun, Dad didn’t know which tie he wanted to wear and Mom took ages doing her hair

Joohyun chuckled at the text and unconsciously flattened out her own hair.

To: ♥♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥♥

09:05am

It’s fine. Did you tell them not to dress up though? My graduation ceremony isn’t quite as fancy as yours going to be.

From: ♥♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥♥

09:06am

I did! They said they didn’t want to embarrass you though.

This time Joohyun laughed loudly. Seungwan’s parents were really something.

To: ♥♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥♥

09:06am

Mom and dad are on the 2nd row and they saved you your seats, go find them when you arrive. I’m on the girls’ restroom doing my make-up with the girls.

From: ♥♥♥ Wan-ah ♥♥♥

09:07am

Ok ^^ See you in a few beautiful.

Joohyun pocketed her phone and walked back to the front of the mirror where the girls were still chatting while giving the final touches on their make-up. Krystal and Seulgi poked fun on her by playfully nudging her sides. Joohyun smiled shyly and batted her friends’ elbows off.

As she was finishing off her simple make-up there was a knock on the bathroom’s door. The girls turned around as Seungwan poked her head in the room, and Joohyun smiled automatically at the sight of her girlfriend’s beautiful face.

-Hey Wendy!

Seulgi greeted and Krystal waved, as Seungwan waved and smiled back.

-Hi, beautiful. – Seungwan signed when her eyes finally fell on Joohyun, who in turn beckoned her over.

-Hi yourself, gorgeous. – Seungwan bit her lip trying to tame her smile at Joohyun’s shameless flirting.

-Ready to go out there and say goodbye to high school?

Joohyun smiled and nodded, reaching for her graduation cap resting atop the sink, offering it to Seungwan. – Do the honors.

Carefully brushing Joohyun’s hair out of her face, Seungwan propped the cap on her head, smiling as Joohyun’s ears poked out at the sides.

-All set? –Joohyun looked at her weirdly and shook her head.

-You two. – She addressed Seulgi and Krystal who all the while had been pretending they were still applying mascara to their eyelashes. – Turn around. – Krystal rolled her eyes and yanked a clueless Seulgi around.

Tilting her cap with one hand and holding Seungwan by the nape of her neck with the other she gave her a simple, but warm kiss. – Now it’s all set.

As most schools had the same academic calendar, Joohyun and Seungwan were graduating on the same day; Joohyun in the morning like most regular schools, and Seungwan in the evening followed by a party. Joohyun’s graduation ceremony wasn’t long and soon enough she was back among her family, receiving crushing hugs from 2 set of parents and a softer one from Seungwan.

Together they headed to the Son’s home where they had a delightful lunch. Seungwan led Joohyun to her room after – more like rolled her up the stairs just how swollen the older girl was. No matter how many times Seungwan warned her, Joohyun always over ate whenever Seungwan made dessert. Which was always. They napped until the time to change and head to Seungwan’s graduation ceremony came.

The event was way longer and much more pompous than Joonhyun’s had been, but the raven-haired girl kept Seungwan entertained as she alternated between doing weird faces and suggestive expressions at her from across the room. That is until her mother realized the cause of Seungwan’s red face was sitting beside her, and she properly admonished her daughter. When finally Seungwan was called to retrieve her diploma Joohyun made a show of shouting ‘fighting!’ and clapping madly, prompting the silliest smile and shiny eyes Joohyun ever saw.

The party seemed fun but Seungwan and Joohyun ditched it early; their last moments as carefree teenagers were coming to an end and they wanted to savor it together. They bid goodbye to their parents, who seemed to be having fun drinking and chatting.

Warm breeze was blowing at their hair, the night sky was unusually clearer and the streets were silent and calm; Seungwan fingers were woven with Joohyun’s as they strolled around the peaceful neighborhood.  

-I’m seriously considering start taking driving lessons. Maybe learn to ride a motorcycle, since they are cheaper.

Seungwan smiled softly at Joohyun’s musings before signing. – Why the sudden interest in driving? You said you didn’t like it.

-I don’t, but we’ll be busy once college starts. We’re lucky our campuses are in neighboring districts, but still. Each minute is precious and I’m not wasting them by taking way longer to get to your dorm on my old bicycle.

Seungwan’s eyes shone in joy and her smile got larger. Joohyun was constantly surprising her.

-I’ll help you with whatever you need then.

Joohyun smiled and squeezed Seungwan’s hand in gratitude. Her expression soon changed to a mischievous one and Seungwan knew Joohyun was going to blurt out something-

-Let me handle our driving playlists though. If ‘Sugary Night’ is anything to go by, we won’t spend much time in the front seat…

Seungwan groaned and slapped Joohyun’s shoulder as the girl cackled.

-You’re never letting that go, are you?

Joohyun pressed her lips trying not to laugh and shook her head. Seungwan rolled her eyes and turned her head stubbornly, even after she took Joohyun’s hand once again.

-Hey.- When Seungwan still kept her face turned away, Joohyun tenderly took her chin in her fingers and turned her face towards her.- Thank you, really. Everyone says that growing up together is hard, and I really want us to last, Seungwan, and I’m glad you’ll be beside me making an effort together.

Seungwan’s eyes turned soft in that special way they did whenever her affection for Joohyun swelled in her chest. – I want us to last too, Joohyun. I’ll be beside you, okay? – Hesitating for a fraction of a second, Seungwan followed. – Because I love you.

For a second everything stood still and then the prettiest smile Seungwan had ever seen bloomed in Joohyun’s face; she raised her hands and Seungwan’s breath stuck on .

- I know how to say it now. –Joohyun signed, smile growing at Seungwan’s surprise. – I love you too.

Seungwan’s eyes brimmed and she flung herself at Joohyun, burying her face in the crook of her neck. Joohyun laughed softly and hugged the smaller girl, pressing a kiss to the side of Seungwan's head. – Now you know.

Seungwan then unhooked one of her arms from around Joohyun, making her frown. Almost instantly, the frown was erased when she realized Seungwan had only s her arm between their bodies to put a hand in the middle of Joohyun’s chest. A knowing smile grew on her face when she felt it.

Two little taps.

 

Fin