Part 1

The Sound Of Love

-“...If the Rutheford model already described the atom as a nucleus of very small volume and high positive charge surrounded by rotating negative charges, which innovations did the Bohr model bring to light?” – Joohyun squinted at her homework, lips pursed and brow furrowed.- How am I supposed to know that? Did the teacher even teach us this…- She muttered bitterly as she flipped through her textbook in search of the answer. A bleep coming from her phone distracted her. Unlocking her screen she read the text she received from an unknown number.

From: Unknown

8:43pm

Why is there a grease mark on my ceiling??? I swear to God I’ll never let you in my house again.

-What in the world…-Joohyun muttered, bewildered at the text. She made up her mind to answer back to clarify the situation.

To: Unknown

8:46pm

Who do you think you’re talking to?

As the raven haired girl pressed ‘send’ she regretted immediately because she realized she might have worded the message badly. You can’t hear the tone of the person sending the message so it was very possible that she came across as confrontational. Two minutes later and her phone went off again.

From: Unknown

8:48pm

WHAT! Sooyoung you insolent brat! Respect your unnie! See if I’ll cook anything for you ever again!

Oh, so it was a girl. An unknown girl who had the wrong number. As far as Joohyun knew she was no Sooyoung. Chuckling at the incensed text, she decided to clear up the misunderstanding.

To: Unknown

8:50pm

I’m sorry. I meant “who do you think you’re talking to” literally. I think you got the wrong number pal, I’m not Sooyoung.

Not even a minute passed and her phone got another notification.

From: Unknown

8:51pm

Oh! I’m so sorry! I’m sorry I offended you! I’m sorry!! ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

This time Joohyun actually laughed. She imagined the faceless girl getting all flustered as she realized that she’d been cussing out an innocent unknown person.

To: Unknown

8:53pm

That’s fine. You cussing me out distracted me from this chemistry homework I’ve been battling against.

The raven haired girl smirked at the jab in the text. Teasing this stranger was way too fun for her. In the same fashion as before, she didn’t have to wait much before she got a response.

From: Unknown

8:54pm

Ah! Sorry again! ㅠㅠ

From: Unknown

8:55pm

Do you want some help with your homework? Accept it as an apology >_< 

Joohyun smiled at the text. Here she is teasing the unfortunate soul who happened to text the wrong number and in turn she’s being sweet and helpful to her. This time she took some time to answer the text, debating over following through the idea she got in her head; she had never done it before, it wasn’t like her to approach people at first, much less people who she had never seen before.

She read over the text again. She felt like she’d be different with this bumbling fool, so she just wrote down her message and hit send.

To: Unknown

9:00pm

I think we should know each other’s names before becoming homework pals shouldn’t we? I’m Bae Joohyun.

Joohyun bit her lip as she waited for the response to arrive. The stranger always texted back so fast and now of all times she decides to leave Joohyun hanging. More than five minutes had passed and Joohyun was ready to chuck her phone across the room from mortification when a message finally arrived.

From: Unknown

9:07pm

Uh you want to know me even after I cussed you out…I’m surprised…I’m Son Wendy, nice to meet you Joohyun-ssi! I got a new phone and your number happens to be the same as my friend’s, except for one digit ^^;

To: Son Wendy

9:10pm

It’s alright Wendy-ssi, it wasn’t a big deal. ^^

Joohyun cringed at the emoji. It wasn’t really her style but Wendy was being so nice and polite she couldn’t help but try and be as well.

From: Son Wendy

9:11pm

So, what do you don’t understand from your homework?

Joohyun let out an unladylike loud snort.

To: Son Wendy

9:12pm

…Everything Wendy-ssi.

In some minutes Joohyun had concluded her chemistry homework, but her convo with Wendy went well into the night, until she fell asleep as she waited for Wendy’s reply.

//

Standing on the noisy hallway of her school, Joohyun was stuffing the last textbook in her locker when her cellphone chimed. Scrambling to fish it out of her bag, she let out an excited ‘aha!’ when she finally found the device buried under the books she was taking to class. Seulgi side-eyed her friend and chuckled at the hastiness when she knew her friend’s text-buddy wasn’t about to die because of some seconds of delay in the response.

From: Son Wendy

7:49am

Good morning Joohyun-ah! Study well today!

Joohyun smiled down at the screen. Wendy’s good morning texts were pretty simple but they always managed to bring a smile to her face.

To: Son Wendy

7:51am

Good morning Wendy-ah. Study well and eat well! Stop forgetting your meals! ㅡ_ㅡ

From: Son Wendy

7:52am

Waaah it was only once…or twice. I promise I won’t forget! >//<

Joohyun shook her head while smiling amusedly down at the phone. She and Wendy had been texting each other a little over 2 weeks but the raven haired girl already had a pretty good idea of how clumsy Wendy could be. Joohyun always imagined rich kids that studied at private schools to be polished up Stepford Wives but Wendy had easily destroyed this notion for her.

To: Son Wendy

7:54am

You better you marshmallow head.

To: Son Wendy

7:56am

 By the way, how’s the song going? You told me yesterday you were having a hard time getting the chords right.

-Class is about to start grandma, let’s go. – Seulgi said, and Joohyun shot her a dirty look. Seulgi laughed and just dragged her friend towards their classroom.- What? Like I’m lying. Even my parents text faster than you.

Joohyun slapped Seulgi’s shoulder as the younger laughed. – Well, you complain because you’re an . Wendy is sweet and patient and she never complains of the speed of my texting.

Seulgi laughed even harder and she ruffled Joohyun’s hair, earning a grunt and another dirty look. – You got it so bad girl. Not trying to put a damper on things, but do you even know what she looks like?

Joohyun got deadly quiet at this. She never pressured Wendy to reveal anything about herself; on the contrary, Wendy seemed like such an open book that developing a friendship with her had been smooth and easy. The cellphone chimed again.

From: Son Wendy

7:58am

Not really but I’m almost there, I can feel it! I think this is the hardest song I’ve ever tried covering, it’s making me frustrated lol

Joohyun hummed as she read the text. Seulgi’s words were nagging at the back of her mind now. Maybe Wendy was camera shy. Maybe she was insecure about her looks. Joohyun bit her lip in contemplation. What if Wendy wasn’t attractive at all? She had to admit that even though personality played a bigger part, looks kind of mattered too. Should she wait until she liked Wendy even more so she would be able to see past it? Should-

-Hey, the teacher arrived already. – Seulgi interrupted her crazy line of thoughts snapping her fingers in front of her face. Joohyun blinked out of her stupor and she fired a quick text to Wendy before stuffing her phone in her pocket.

To: Son Wendy

8:03am

 The teacher arrived Wendy-ah, I got to go. Text me later?

Her phone vibrated a moment later and she snuck a look at it when she reached for her pencil case inside her backpack.

From: Son Wendy

8:04am

 Sure! ^^

Staring blankly at the words her teacher jolted in the black board Joohyun made up her mind. However Wendy looked, it didn’t matter. She was funny, nice, kind and made Joohyun smile, and she’d wait around until Wendy felt comfortable.

//

From: Son Wendy

12:26pm

 Ugh, there’s a sub today.

Joohyun smiled down at the text, almost being able to hear Wendy’s whine, even though she had no idea how she sounded. She rested her chopsticks on the table before taping an answer.

To: Son Wendy

12:28pm

Afraid the classroom will become a mess? Poor sub.

From: Son Wendy

12:29pm

 …That’s not it. New teachers normally call me by my Korean name while doing attendance.

Joohyun furrowed her eyebrows, confusion coloring her face. Then her confusion gave place to a naughty expression. Wendy’s Korean name was probably either a very traditional name or a boy’s name.

To: Son Wendy

12:30pm

 What’s wrong with your name? Is it a grandma name or a boy name? hahahaha

From: Son Wendy

12:31pm

 Shut up you cabbage!

From: Son Wendy

12:31pm

...It’s a boy name.

Bingo. Joohyun thought and she waited with baited breath for the answer.

From: Son Wendy

12:32pm

It’s Seungwan, ok???

Joohyun dissolved in delighted laughter. How Wendy could be so cute even through text she didn’t know.

-What’s wrong with her? – A taller, also raven-haired girl asked the girl beside her, both of them facing the laughing girl.

-She’s talking to Wendy. A girl she met by chance via text message like 3 or 4 weeks ago. She even learned how to text fast. You can see that they get along very well. – Seulgi put some emphasis on the last 2 words, moving her eyebrows up and down as she nudged Krystal with her elbow. The taller girl chuckled as she eyed the shorty again – now finally starting to compose herself.

- I sure can.

 To: Son Wendy

12:34pm

You’re so cute! I knew something about you reminded me of a little boy. I’ll change your name on my phone right now.

From: Seungwan

12:35pm

Ay! Stop it! Don’t tease me!

Joohyun giggled amusedly. She suddenly got the urge to call Seungwan and have a voice match the words. She guessed that if Seungwan was so attached to music, going as far as being able to play 4 instruments, she must have a lovely voice as well.

To: Seungwan

12:36pm

Hey, do you think I could call you later? Texting back and forth at night can get tiring sometimes ^^

Joohyun waited for an answer. And waited, and waited. Seulgi and Krystal got up and urged her to go throw the trash of their lunch out before heading to class again. As the seconds ticked by, Joohyun’s heart got heavier and heavier. Was Wendy so averse to deepening their friendship that she didn’t even want to make a phone call?

At the nick of time she got an answer.

From: Seungwan

12:50pm

I’m sorry Joohyun-ah, I don’t think it’s a good idea… Phone-calls are a thing I really can’t make.

Even though she understood that Wendy couldn’t make phone calls for whatever reason she had, Joohyun still felt upset.

She returned the phone to her pocket without answering this time.

 Throughout the day Wendy tried to get Joohyun’s attention again. The raven-haired knew she was probably being unfair, but the rejection had bruised her ego and she wasn’t in the mood to humor Wendy. At night, when Wendy normally helped Joohyun do her homework via text, Joohyun just brushed her off saying she had it covered – it wasn’t a complete lie. She liked geography and she had little to no difficulty doing its homework. Wendy then finally laid off of her, bidding her good night like she normally would, but Joohyun swore she could feel the girl’s sadness behind the text. She shook it off as her brain being crazy, how could she sense the emotions behind a couple of words in a phone screen?

That night she went to sleep far earlier than she normally would because Wendy wasn’t texting her, but she tossed and turned and almost got no sleep.

//

The next morning, Joohyun woke up grumpy and with a crick on her neck. She answered Wendy’s good morning text with a simple “Morning” and she moved on with her day. It was only when her nebulous day at school was coming to its – someone had spilled sauce on her white sneakers – that she got a surprise.

From: Seungwan

12:22pm

Hey, Joohyun-ah. It’s been more than a month that we’ve been talking right?

Joohyun stared at the text with a blank mind. What was Wendy getting to?

From: Seungwan

12:23pm

Do you maybe want to meet? In person I mean. Only if you want it though. It’s ok if you don’t. It’s your decision. What do you think?

A slow smile finally blossomed on Joohyun’s face at Wendy’s word diarrhea. Truth be told she had missed talking like this to the girl, and it had been only one day they were in bad waters with each other.

Wendy was extending an olive branch and Joohyun knew she’d be stupid not to grab it. She was being far too severe with Wendy after all.

To: Seungwan

12:25pm

Of course I do Seungwan-ah. I’d be very happy to meet you.

She bit her lip as her fingers hovered over the letters of the next message she was planning to write. With shame twisting her guts she finally fired off the text.

To: Seungwan

12:26pm

I’m sorry for the radio silence. I got upset when I had no reason to. You should do what you’re comfortable to do.

To: Seungwan

12:26pm

I want to meet you Wan-ah, but only if you do too, ok? Don’t force yourself.

From: Seungwan

12:27pm

It’s alright now. I could’ve explained it better. Could have been kinder too.

Joohyun let out a small soft laugh. Seungwan was really far too kind for her own good.

To: Seungwan

12:28pm

You were kind enough, I was just being silly. But enough with apologies, let’s go back to how we were ^^

From: Seungwan

12:29pm

Yay! I missed you yesterday and this morning…I’m glad we can go back ^^

From: Seungwan

12:30pm

I also bought this new sweater that I wanted to show you, but since we weren’t talking properly…

Joohyun gulped and tried to shake off the shame again. She knew Seungwan was lonely and whenever she had anything new going on with her she was eager to share with Joohyun, who in turn was also eager to absorb anything the other girl was willing to share with her.

To: Seungwan

12:32pm

Show me then! ^^

At some point later that day Joohyun would remind herself to thank her guardian angel that was probably looking out for her when she swallowed the juice in before opening Seungwan’s new text.

-Oh ! – Joohyun exclaimed loudly and all her classmates having lunch turned to look bewilderedly at her. Seulgi and Krystal who had been eating with Joohyun the whole time ducked their heads in embarrassment, but Joohyun seemed far too concentrated on her phone’s screen to pay any mind to the stinky-eye her classmates were giving her.

But she had reason not to pay attention. Seungwan sent her a photo of the sweater with herself inside it.

And Seungwan was so, so beautiful.

If Joohyun was to describe the luminous smile the girl was wearing in the picture she was afraid she’d run out of clichés about stars, moons, city lights and whatever thing that couldn’t shine as bright as that smile. Her round, dark eyes were no less beautiful. She had one arm stuck out, holding the phone, and the other was up while the girl did a “thumbs-up”. The last thing she noticed was the sweater – it had Olaf knitted on it and it was extremely cute, but who would blame Joohyun for not paying attention to it.

With her brain still a little in haywire she went to answer Seungwan when she realized she had been staring at the picture for some minutes.

To: Seungwan

12:35pm

Beautiful

To: Seungwan

12:35pm

I mean cute.

To: Seungwan

12:35pm

The sweater. The sweater’s cute, you’re beautiful.

-Oh …- She swore again under her breath as she stared at the series of brain-farts she had typed. Bae Joohyun, middle name Train-wreck, pleasure to meet you.

-Ok, we’ve been quiet until now just staring at your face, and I must say it was fun to see your normally -looking face go through a myriad of colors and feelings, my favorite was when you realized you probably typed some dumb , but I’m curious now. Spill it out already! – Seulgi complained almost in a single breath, finishing it off with a slap on the table. Krystal, much more quiet and reserved – but equally as nosey and curious – nodded along.

Still processing the fact that she had put her foot in , Joohyun just clicked on Seungwan’s picture and handed her phone to her friends.

Seulgi and Krystal joined their heads to look at the screen, their eyebrows getting progressively higher on their faces as their stared at the screen. Seulgi looked silently at Krystal; both nodded and then high-fived each other as they retuned the phone while sporting similar lecherous grins.

The phone chimed again and Seulgi’s and Krystal’s grins got bigger as Joohyun groaned and buried her face in her hands.

From: Seungwan

12:38pm

Thank you! For both compliments haha

From: Seungwan

12:38pm

I would say ‘you too’, but I don’t really know lol

Joohyun almost choked on her tongue. Was Seungwan teasing her? More importantly, was she implying that she wanted to see Joohyun?

At this the raven-haired girl panicked, latching her hands at her friends’ arms and clutching their wrists like a vice.

-She wants to see me!- She exclaimed desperately as Seulgi and Krystal tried to distance themselves from the crazy-looking Joohyun. Krystal eyed her weirdly, while trying to free herself.

-Why are you desperate? It’s not like you’re ugly or anything. You’re one of the prettiest girls in this school, stop being stupid. – The tall girl complained huffing as she finally freed her wrist.

To: Seungwan

12:40pm

Wait up

From: Seungwan

12:41pm

Huh? What?

Twenty seven selfies later, a top ten, a top five and finally a selected winner, Joohyun sent the picture to Seungwan.

To: Seungwan

12:46pm

Now you can say it haha

Only after Joohyun hit send she realized how pretentious the text sounded.

-Nooooooo!- She howled as she scrambled to write another text.

To: Seungwan

12:47pm

WAIT I DIDN’T MEAN TO SOUND CONCEITED

Seulgi and Krystal chortled at their frazzled friend. They had never seen Joohyun act like this before so it was an understatement to say they were having the time of their lives.

From: Seungwan

12:49pm

You have every right to be conceited though

From: Seungwan

12:49pm

You’re beautiful Hyunnie ^^

-Oh my God…- Joohyun fanned herself as the blood rushed to her face. She’d die a premature death if Seungwan kept giving her heart palpitations. She’ll be forever guilty for causing my death. That’ll teach her not to make me blush. Damn Seungwan…Joohyun thought bitterly.

The raven-haired girl deflated when she spotted the math teacher already scribbling something on the board. She didn’t want to stop texting Seungwan now of all times.

To: Seungwan

12:51pm

Class is about to start ㅠㅠ I’ve got to go ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

From: Seungwan

12:52pm

Mine too ㅠㅠㅠㅠ Talk to you later? We can straight up when and where to meet!

To: Seungwan

12:52pm

Of course!

-Yah. – Seulgi nudged Krystal. – We should sell out Joohyun unnie to a science lab. I think they’d discover she’s the fastest mammal on land when she’s texting Wendy.

Krystal exploded in laughter as Joohyun huffed and turned her beet-red face back to the front of the class.

//

Running her hand through her wavy locks for the umpteenth time, Joohyun snuck a glance at her wrist clock again. In the haste to meet Seungwan she had woken up early in the morning, which had her parents staring at her weirdly since it was a Saturday. She had been anxious all week after they settled they’d meet on the weekend, and as the day came, she had been even more anxious. She showered, had break-fast and at 9’oclock she was already good to go to meet Seungwan for lunch.

Only they had scheduled to meet at 12pm. She walked around the house for 2 whole hours before finally heading to the bus stop, where she was still waiting for the bus.

As said bus arrived, Joohyun’s heart did somersaults inside her chest, the prospect of being closer to meet Seungwan making her jittery. To pass the time, she fished her phone out of her coat pocket, going straight to the “photos” app. Scrolling down she tapped on the album named “Wan-ah” and she unknowingly started to smile as she looked at the pictures.

After sending the first, Seungwan seemed to lose her shyness and sent more to Joohyun. There were quite a few: One where she had her head peeking out of small window on a tree-house, the one Joohyun presumed was the same that Seungwan had told her she had almost fallen off during her childhood; one where half of her face was smiling cheekily at the camera and half was distorted by the glass of the aquarium she was hiding behind – Joohyun had mentioned she found tropical fish pretty once, hence Seungwan sending a picture of the gigantic aquarium she had at home; one where she was holding a tray of freshly made cupcakes – and this one was Joohyun’s absolute favorite because the pleased smile Seungwan had on it for successfully doing a recipe while sporting several spots of flour and cocoa powder on her face and shirt just made Joohyun’s heart swell with fondness.

She had sent some of her own as well – most of them making weird faces because those always made Seungwan answer her with a string of texts where she just typed “KAJHSKJHAJAHSJDHASDKAHDKJA” and if there was something Joohyun always strived for was to make Seungwan laugh.

While she was scrolling to next picture – Seungwan dressed in pajamas hugging her Olaf plushie – her phone got a notification.

From: Wan-ah

11:48am

Just got here! ^^ I’ll wait by the food court ok?

Joohyun’s cheeks tightened around the big smile that grew on her face.

To: Wan-ah

11:48am

I’m on my way. This bus is taking forever >_<

From: Wan-ah

11:49am

It’s fine '' 

As she arrived at the shopping mall her heart was hammering strongly against her ribcage and her palms were sweaty. Walking in the biggest strides her short legs could make, she neared the food court.

Her breath stuttered when she spotted Seungwan, brown hair softly adorning her beautiful face, her eyes glued to the phone screen, unaware of Joohyun’s near presence. The way the girl was tapping against her thigh clued Joohyun in that she wasn’t the only one feeling nervous in this situation. Walking closer and swallowing down to try to calm her heart that was trying to climb up , she called out.

-Wan-ah! – And Seungwan’s face snapped up immediately as she heard her name, the biggest smile Joohyun had yet seen on her face lighting up her features.

God, Joohyun thought she’s beautiful.

Seungwan waved at her and closed the space between them with some steps. She opened her arms hesitantly but Joohyun just laughed and drew her in, enveloping the girl’s waist as she felt Seungwan’s arms close around her shoulders.

-I’m so happy to finally meet you! – Joohyun said sincerely when they parted, but her hand searched for Seungwan’s and they stayed woven together. Seungwan smiled and nodded eagerly, her face rosy in excitement. Joohyun bit her lip as she felt her cheeks getting warmer as she braved on to say the next words. – I’m sorry if I’m being too straightforward but you’re even more beautiful in person.

The way Seungwan’s cheeks flamed red and her nose crinkled as she tried covering the shy smile on her face had Joohyun’s heart doing flips while she danced internally in victory. Seungwan waved her off and tapped Joohyun in the middle of the chest while nodding. At this Joohyun furrowed her brows, albeit she was still smiling. Seungwan was so talkative while texting, why was she so silent now? Joohyun had yet to hear her voice.

-Wan-ah, why are you so quiet? – She asked innocently, swinging her hand and Seungwan’s back and forth. Seungwan’s smile faltered and she took a small step back. She reached for her phone, and as she typed Joohyun started to feel apprehensive about the whole situation. Her phone went off and she looked confusedly at Seungwan, not being able to hide her bewilderment.

From: Wan-ah

12:07pm

Remember when I said I couldn’t make phone calls?

Joohyun read and she looked up at Seungwan, nodding hesitantly. Seungwan then sighed and bit her lip, a slightly scared expression taking over her features as she went to type again. Joohyun had her phone clutched strongly between her fingers when Seungwan’s next message arrived, and as she finished reading it her breath got stuck on .

From: Wan-ah

12:07pm

I meant it exactly as it is Joohyun.

I’m mute.

 

 

 

A/N: Did I surprise you guys? haha this is not the end yet!