intro

Ineffable

Freshman year was starting for our budding protagonists, where they will embark on the stress and drama of highschool. 8 solid hours each week day would be dedicated to studying, barely having enough time to socialise or make any plans. It was an early Tuesday when the two first met in an unconventional encounter. 

The first day of the new academic year commenced with a premature awakening for both teens. The sky was dull; dark, grey, heavy clouds casted a shadow over the city, the temperature a peircing 3 degrees. It's was silent outside, only the strong gusts of wind and the rustling leaves were to be heard. 

This melancholy weather reflected on the boy sitting in his room, legs hanging over the edge of his messy bed. He rubbed the sleep from his droopy eyes and a sheepish yawn escaped his chapped lips. Baekhyun was his name, a 17 year old who's awfully shy. 

 

Orphaned at the age of 6, he developed a slight anxiety disorder of selective mutism. As a kid he had always said that he prefers to listen, but in pure honesty he was just not listened to. Since he started school in kidergaten he was always hesitant to befriend other pupils. He made a vow to himself that highschool was going to be different - that he'd make tons and tons of friends. Therefore he had made a conscious effort to overcome his disorder.

His mom knew about his problem and offered to book therapy sessions,but he would always decline and say that he 'can manage'.

Baekhyun tried to surpass his disorder by himself, all during the summer vacation, before school started, he would visit the local care home and chat with the elderly, ignoring the odd smell of decay. His efforts only made a minor improvement - he is able to speak to people who he thinks are not intimidating or dangerous.

He had always been cautious about everything he does, everything he eats and anyone he meets. This is because of the long list of allergies he had. He couldn't participate in most sport, due to his bad asthma, he also couldn't wear wooly jumpers nor could he keep a pet. He had a weak pair of lungs, even the tiniest amout of dust or smoke that he breathes in can lead him into having a coughing fit.

Baekhyun's train of thought was interrupted when his adoptive mother knocked gently on the door. 

"Sweetheart. Did you unpack everything?" The old woman asked in a warm voice. The teen hummed in response nudging the stack of unfolded cardboard boxes with his foot, away from his bed. "Well I'm going to work, okay? I'll be home earlier, so I can help move the furniture." The black haired boy nodded, and mumbled a tired 'okay'. "Remember to have fun in school. Breakfast's downstairs."

The family of two had just moved in to the vacant home only 2 days ago. Settling in wasn't a problem for either of them, they don't own many possessions, plus they have moved house several times before (due to his mother's job relocations)

He waited until his mother left the house. After hearing a reassuring sound of the door slamming shut, he drew out his crisp school uniform, admiring the pretty school logo stiched on the front pocket of the blazer. He was going to high school. Which was far away from his previous school. He doubted that anyone from his middle school would have transferred into this high school, since his old school was in a rural area, on the other side of Korea.

He took a long hot shower, which was almost impossible since he did not know how to adjust the temperature of the shower quiet well. Therefore burst of freezing cold water startled him many times. He used his favorite lime shampoo and lemon scented conditioner, wanting to smell nice for the upcoming day. 

He had searched the quickest and safest route to go to his highschool on Google maps. The building was relatively close to where he lived, a 20 minute walk was all that was needed. There was a corner shop near by too, he could buy his lunch there.

He towel-dried his silky hair, grooming it with a wide toothed comb, styling it so that his fringe covered his whole forehead. Baekhyun dressed himself, flattening some creased areas so that he looked presentable and neat. The male equipped his blazer pockets with school supplies: pencils, pens, a ruler, a eraser. 

He had packed everything he needed in his backpack the night before, he double checked the contents again and zipped the bag shut.

It was already seven fifteen when Baekhyun began eating his yummy breakfast, prepared by his loving umbiological mother. He only had about 15 minutes to eat all of it, wash the dishes and brush his teeth. 

Once he had completed all of those tasks the male put on his red winter jacket, and his new glossy school shoes and backpack. Baekhyun took a puff off his brown enhaler, used to prevent any asthma attacks in the future. He gave himself a another glance through his wall mirror and exited his house.

The cool autumn air chilled his hands, he breathed out a foggy breath and rubbed his hands together, trying to warm them up.  Baekhyun locked the front door with the silver key given to him. He then set of down the short pathway through his front garden. His cheeks glowing a rosy pink shade as the cold lingered on his skin.

Baekhyun peeked over the hedge when he heard a door clicking open followed by a chorus of barking. A tall guy wearing a black coat was knelt down, trying to tame his howling dogs. They were only puppies, probably not wanting their owner to leave so early in the morning. He can understand why the pups would be upset. Baekhyun tilted his head trying to see what his neighbour looked like, but with the taller's back facing him; it was impossible. He continued down his front garden (which wasn't much of a garden, since the overgrown weeds made it look more like a forest) and made his way to his new high school. 

"Hey, Hey!! Calm down. I'll be back later okay." Chanyeol pecked his dogs' noses, their heads as he ushered them back in the house. He locked the door, talking a deep breaths. He coiled his hands around the strap of his bag, he matched down the path way.

The giant was terrified of high school. He found studying very challenging. The words and equations just baffled him, he studied his off trying to get the best grades in middle school. And because of his efforts he was given grades that were above average! He was utterly shocked when he received his report card. The only thing about high school he anticipated for was making friends with a bunch of new people. 

Chanyeol skipped down the street, slowing down into a light stroll. Living in that house for almost all of his life, he was accustomed to his surroundings and formulated a fast way to get to his new school. 

He was a guy who you can easily get along with. Not one person in his entire life hated  him, not one enemy (as far as he knows). He enjoyed being in people's presence, he liked making friends, he wanted to make people smile. That's what he does best. 

The social butterfly was scrolling down his news feed on his phone. Sending good morning messages to his pals, groaning about the begining of school to others, wishing some the best of luck. 

He was retyping a text when a single drop of water fell on the screen of his phone. His thumb swiped across the droplet, effectively wiping it off. He shrugged it off and pocketed his mobile in his pocket.

There was a smaller figure was infront of him, not that far away. He eyed the back of the guy's head, noticing that the stranger was turning the exact same corners he needed to. He unintentionally trailed behind him, following his every move. Chanyeol's eyebrows rose when  the small guy looked over his shoulder, in his direction. The large eared male turned his head, looking around to see if he looked at someone else, but they were the only ones there. He didn't fail to notice the quickening pace of the smaller's strides.

Baekhyun, thinking the tall man was following him, began to walk faster. He was petrified. There could be rapists, killers, hanibals, kidnappers anywhere! He just wanted to get away from the shady man and go to school. Besides No way was he going to get kidnapped on the first day. 

He forged a plan, in which he would hopefully lose the man. He swiftly turned sharp corners, speed walking to the next, hastly glancing back to check up on the stranger. He followed the pavement, his pace slowing down upon realising that the man wasn't behind him anymore. He sighed in utmost relief, his breathing was fast and shallow, as he tried to regain his composure.

Chanyeol only looked away for a moment. Just a glance directed at the corner shop he passed by. When he looked forward to stare at the boy once more. He had dissapeared. 

The tall highschooler's eyebrow knitted together as he worked out where the boy had gone. He was sure the male attended his school. He was certain because the neoghboring high school was in the other direction, unless he was a moddle schooler. 'Maybe he went a different route?", he asked himself and shrugged continuing to make his way to school.

As if on que, the rain began pouring. 

Chanyeol, undoubtedly prepared, pulled out his yellow umbrella from his bag. Unfurling the umbrella, he resumed walking, basking in the refreshing smell of rain.

He was half through his journey to school until he spotted a certain red coat. His eye caught onto the boy who was quite a distance away from him, crouching down to the ground, against a grey wall by the sidewalk. He seems that he was rummaging in his bag - probably searching for an umbrella. The poor boy was getting soaked! Without thinking he rushed over to the boy.

Baekhyun dug inside his backpack, searching for his spotty umbrella. He mentally scolded himself for forgetting that one thing that would sheild him from the rain. He was sure that he would get drenched because the rain became heavier.

Once he neared the male; he too crouched down, sheltering the boy from the cold rain. He layed a hand on the strangers shoulder, who jolted at the touch. The smaller's icy cold fingertips shakily brushed away the larger hand.

Baekhyun didn't dare to face the man. His face was drained from color, a person in his head told him to run for it, just run. But he couldn't. There was some kind of warmth radiating from the kidnapper. Besides he didn't want to get wet and sick.

"Do you want to share my umbrella?" Chanyeol said in a soft voice. Baekhyun froze at the deep voice and stiffly nodded. They both awkwardly stood up from their spot. Baekhyun gingerly put on his backpack and sheepishly waddled ahead. Chanyeol mimicked his moves and sped up to catch up with the black haired boy. 

It was a long and silent walk. Not one of them uttered a syllable. Head hanging low, Baekhyun kept his gaze on the gravel ground. He could feel his cheeks heating  up, he hasn't been this so close to anyone other than pentioners and his mother. 

Chanyeol noticed the that the boy's left shoulder was drenched and he big gap between them. The smaller was obviously trying to distance himself Chanyeol, desperate enough to allow his whole left arm drown in rain. Chanyeol moved closer to the boy, so that they were both safely under the umbrella.

Baekhyun's face flushed red. He should've ran, then he wouldn't have to be in this nervewracking situation. However he kind of gotten lost while he was running away, so there was no other way to get to school but follow him - wait. Are they even going to his school? Looks like it. They were going the way Baekhyun had planned out the night before.

"Wait." Chanyeol's said in his deep voice upon noticing another problem, he gently caught Baekhyun's arm to stop him from walking any further. "Here, hold this." Chanyeol passed the handle to the shorter and smiled when their hands touched for a second. Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed together, as the giant crouched down infront of him. That's when he found out that the stranger was wearing the same schoool uniform as him under his huge black coat - relief washing over him. Baekhyun, still unwilling to speak, looked down at the male mentally questioning his sudden move. 

Chanyeol looked up to see such a beaut. His pretty, milky skin, gleaming almond  eyes and pouted lips mesmerised him. There was not a blemish upon his skin, not a single mark. Only after a minute or two did Chanyeol realise what a goof he must've looked like and snapped out of his trance.

Chanyeol tore his gaze from the male's face and looked downwards to his feet. Baekhyun's shoe was a reasonably smaller size to his own, nearly half his size probably. Chanyeol held one of the soaked ends of Baekhyun's pant legs and folded them upwards a few times, so that they wouldn't get wet anymore. Baekhyun's pants were too long (only by an inch) and have dipped into some puddles of water. Chanyeol chuckled at the cute rilakkuma ankle socks that the boy wore. He folded the other pant leg and gave them one last tug before standing back up again. Baekhyun mouthed a bashful 'Thank you'.

Baekhyun appreciated what he had done. No one had ever been concerned about him (except for his mom of course). He avoided the giant's eyes for the rest of the way to school, thinking it might be a tad awkward since he was as red as a tomato the whole walk. 

When they reached the school gates Chanyeol asked "You don't talk much do you?" Baekhyun gulped, mind crowded with many possible responses. "What's your name?" Baekhyun's mouth opened then closed again, his tongue couldn't get around the words he needed to say. "Chanyeol!!" A choir of voices yelled cheerily, both of their heads turned to face the group of boy's beckoning Chanyeol to follow them. Baekhyun liked his name. "Come here!" The giant waved back at them, flashing his pearly white teeth.

"See you later…" Chanyeol patted the boy's head and smiled at him. Realising that the rain was still pouring, the taller guided Baekhyun's cold hand around the warm handle of the umbrella, and mumbled "you can use this for now, okay?" Baekhyun nodded meekly, glancing up to catch one last glimpse of the charming guy. 

Chanyeol took long strides away from him, towards his waiting friends. He watched the group walk away from him, hoping that Chanyeol looked back. 

 

He didn't.

 

"Oh well."

 

♡♡♡

There it is c: the first chapter of my story. I so happy you guys :D 14 of yous have already subscribed :D I cannot stop smiling :D it's nearing Baekhyun's birthday :D Tao's was just a few days ago :D I'm over the moon :D

I always fail at writing fanfics because I would be all excited and inspired for the first few chapters then I would get 'bored' of my own fic because I would keep over thinking it and then it would get complicated then I would lose interest and not write For a while then I would write but then it would be all discounts jointed and the story won't flow and then I'd be unhappy and delete it...I hope that won't happen...

I have a report due in for tomorow and I haven't written a single word so happy reading :* I love you I'm so thankful that you guys bother to read my stuff

♡♡♡ 150504