My Heart Tells Me

The Shades of Night

The sudden hush of snow falling on the empty sidewalks was enough to make Daesung softly gasp. He felt like he should be shivering – standing ankle deep in the snow in his scrubs and t-shirt – but the snow did not even get his cuffs wet. That’s right, he thought, I’m not really here. His gaze skimmed the scene before him, searching for where he or some trace of his passing must be. Death tapped his shoulder and simply pointed over to where a lone figure was walking on the opposite side of the street. Daesung hesitated before crossing over to trail behind himself. They walked a block in silence before a strange voice called out his name.

Stopping in the snow with a crunch, the bundled up Daesung turned to look over his shoulder and broke out into a wide grin. A breath passed before an equally bundled up figure crashed into Daesung, wrapping him up in a tight hug. “Yo, you walk too fast,” the stranger laughed. “I’ve been trying to catch up to you for two blocks. How’s a guy supposed to keep up with you, huh?”

The future Daesung laughed brightly and left his arm around the shorter man’s shoulders. “You’ve got to be fast to keep up with me. I don’t live in the slow lane, Bae.” The pair resumed their walk at an even pace.

Daesung looked up at Death for an explanation, but the immortal remained silent. The pair ended up following the future Daesung all the way to an apartment at the edge of what appeared to be a college neighborhood. When future Daesung and his companion got inside, they both stripped off their coats and shoes with a familiarity and ritual that suggested they had done it countless times – dancing around each other naturally. Daesung was surprised by the rather impressive mowhawk the other man was sporting: blond and black streaks making him look rather chic. He even had rather striking features and an easy smile that made his eyes fold into twin crescents. Just looking at him made Daesung smile faintly – a trait he apparently shared with his future self.

“Should I make the hot chocolate,” the stranger asked, “while you get the box down?”

The future Daesung nodded. “Yeah, I can do that. Thanks, Bae.” He winked at this Bae person before disappearing down the little hallway. At a loss for what to do, the dying Daesung looked up at Death, who simply shrugged. The pair ultimately ended up standing awkwardly in the entrance, waiting by the shoes for the future Daesung to return.

Bae, meanwhile, put water to heat in a kettle before moving to put a blanket on the couch. He then plugged in the little Christmas tree and lit a couple of candles around the room. When Daesung walked in, he had a sad smile on his lips. “Got it,” he murmured softly.

Slowly, Bae crossed to him and took the box from his hands. “Why don’t you sit down, and I’ll get the cocoa?” The future Daesung nodded and silently followed the other man’s instructions. Bae sat the box on the little coffee table before disappearing into the kitchen. Death guided Daesung to stand over by the Christmas tree, where they would clearly be able to see the pair.

When Bae returned, Daesung waited for him to sit down beside him before spreading the blanket over their laps. “Thank you for taking such good care of me, Youngbae,” he murmured.

Reaching out, Youngbae placed a hand lightly over Daesung’s heart. “I have to take care of my two most precious people somehow,” he replied gently, a sad smile on his lips.

Daesung’s hand lifted to cover Youngbae’s. “I still can’t believe it’s been four whole years since… since he left.”

The dark brown of Youngbae’s eyes reflected a sorrow so profound that it made the dying Daesung wince; he knew that look. It was the expression of loss. “Christmas isn’t the same without him,” Bae agreed softly. “But..he’s still here.” He leaned over to press a kiss to the back of their joined hands. “He’d be glad to know that his heart saved your life.”

Understanding dawned over Daesung as he looked up at Death. “How did Jiyong die?”

Death sighed sadly. “Christmas night he was on his way back to Youngbae’s when a drunk driver swerved off the road and hit him. He died at the hospital, and his family gave you his heart.”

Daesung nodded slowly. “And Youngbae?”

“After Jiyong died, he started visiting you in the hospital while you recovered. He felt like Jiyong was still with him when he was with you,” Death explained, slight wonder coloring the words. “When you started college, you both moved here. To save on costs.”

Daesung’s gaze returned to the pair on the couch as they sat the box in their laps. “Jiyong was with Youngbae.” Death simply nodded.

When the lid came off the box, Daesung took a step closer to try to see what was in there. He was surprised when the first item Youngbae pulled out was a photo of Jiyong. His heart ached at the way Youngbae soothed his fingers across the top of the frame before he leaned forward, setting the picture up on the table. The future Daesung then pulled out candles and sat them on either side of the picture; he lit them. Youngbae then pulled out a couple of small items and sat them in front of the picture: a cross earring, a bracelet that said “Namaste,” and broken pair of thick rimmed glasses. He then sat back and wrapped his arm around Daesung, who had put the box on the floor.

The future Daesung snuggled into Taeyang before softly beginning to sing, “Silent night, holy night –“ Youngbae softly joined in with him, their voices blending seamlessly. They sang Christmas carols for some half an hour before falling silent.

At last, Daesung leaned forward to blow out the candles. “Merry Christmas, Ji.” He then settled back into Youngbae’s arms. “Thank you for … for everything.”

Youngbae swallowed back the tears that threatened to spill down his cheeks. “He’d be happy,” the man repeated. “That he saved you. That he was able to bring us together.”

The dying Daesung’s breath caught as his future self stole a particularly impassioned kiss from the mowhawked man. “He would. Especially since I was able to give you our heart.”

At that, the tears began to slip down both of their faces, and they curled tightly together beneath the blanket. Turning to face Death, Daesung took a steadying breath. “We should go,” he murmured. “I.. I feel like I’m intruding.” Death nodded and shifted reality once again.

---

I know, I know. Tell me all about it. The next post will come after yet another episode of Weekly Idol. And maybe I’ll bake brownies too. –wiggle- Question is: Will Seunghyun be in the next future or will ToDae remain elusive?