Pallor Mortis

When We Died

Pallor Mortis: Paleness in skin that occurs post-mortem

 


Dead.

Another one over with Kai thinks. Soft midnight breezes punctuate the diffusing smell of death. Dull lamplights are the only witnesses of the crime scene.

~

No moon, nor stars are lit. The absence of light paints the sky the colour of a pupil from a freshly murdered corpse. It's 4 in the morning, an awkward time where it's too early to get up and yet too late to fall back asleep. They always meet at 4 on Thursdays, despite Sehun's vehement protests. 

Kai's wearing all black again. It means only one thing.

"Can you please stop killing people?"

The question lingers in the stale October air for a while before fading off with the lethargic puffs of smoke from Sehun's cancer stick. He only smokes at 4 on Thursdays.

"No," Kai snorts.

"It's the 4th one this week. And today's Thursday."

"I've been having a bad week."

"You're going to get caught one day," Sehun tries.

"Maybe I want to."

Sehun sighs in defeat at Kai's apathetic tone, but not before sending a well-aimed kick to his shin. It's the 47th time they've had this conversation. Not that he's been counting.

"How's work coming along?"

Sehun rolls his eyes at Kai's attempt to change the topic but answers him anyway.

"Bad. Stock values have decreased by 5%, but we're almost done constructing the new hotel over at Jeju Island. Dad's away on a business trip though, so many of the old-timers are harder to get a handle on since they still don't trust me."

"Well, you can't blame them. Who would trust a 22-year old to run the biggest hotel chain in South Korea?"

Sehun half agrees with him.

"But they listen to you over at your place. I've seen the manager of your hotel over at the Seoul branch cower in fear in front of you. Mr. Kim was it?"

Kai chuckles. "Maybe it's because I ooze charisma and power, unlike you."

He cries out indignantly when another kick was sent his way.

"Narcissist," Sehun simply retorts. Kai punches him.

The latter lives for moments like these. Moments where there's someone you can be yourself around at the crack of dawn. Moments where you watch the world awaken from slumber and listen to the sound of silence becoming nothing but a background noise. Moments where your best friend kicks you due to your oversized ego.

"Hey, remember the time he kneeled and almost prostrated himself in front of you when there was that murder incident half-an-year ago?"

Kai laughs. "Yeah, even when I was the one behind it all."

"You're deplorable, you know that?"

"Hey, Mr. Kim is the one at fault. His branch is the one with the worst security. Even if it wasn't me, any other murderer would've gotten in and out just as easily. I swear to god, the next time he messes up, I'm going to fire him."

Sehun inquires, "Why haven't you yet?"

Kai contemplates for a while before replying, "Killing people who deserve to die I'm fine with. But, I can't just fire Kim when I know that I was the one who caused the whole ruckus. That's just... Wrong. And luckily for him, I'm also a Kim," Kai grins cheekily.

"Your sense of justice differs so much from the the rest of the world. Seriously, where do you come up with these weird thoughts of yours?" Sehun shakes his head, wondering why he couldn't have made a normal friend.

"I know Hunnie, I'm special." Kai knows he hates the nickname. He waits for a retaliation, but only silence ensues.

"I'll take the lack of an answer for a yes then," Kai declares triumphantly. It was worth it although he feels a burning sensation in his shin again.

"We should get going," Sehun comments.

"Yeah, we should," Kai agrees.

None of them move.

"You know, because of you, I'll soon be bombarded by reporters," Sehun sighs.

"Yep."

"My stocks are also going to take a hit."

"Mine too."

"You're an unsympathetic idiot."

Kai laughs, "I know. I love me too."

They enjoy the quietude together for 7 more minutes before reluctantly leaving. It's 5:07am. They each go their separate ways, footsteps heavy, but hearts a little lighter.

~

"Can I copy your math homework?" 11-year-old Sehun tries to look as pitiful and innocent as possible, hands raised in a begging position.

"No."

"Please Jonginnie, pleeeeeeeease!"

"No. And stop trying to act cute, you're an 11-year-old guy. It's gross," Jongin grumbles.

"But whyyyyyy?"

Jongin sighs and stares at Sehun with one eyebrow raised. "Probably it's because I know you already took it out of my backpack and copied it. You're just seeking for my permission so you won't feel guilty."

"How do you know?"

"You have your guilty face on. You always take things without asking anyway. I don't even mind anymore."

"Wait, so isn't that supposed to be a yes then?"

"Well, you've been doing this for what, the past 5 years? Heck, it was actually how we became friends. What do you think my answer is?"

"Yaaaaaay! It's a yes! Love you Jongin! I'll treat you to lunch, okay?"

"You better, you little brat. And stop saying you love me, people are going to think you're gay."

"But, I do. I love you!"

Jongin rolls his eyes. He wonders if he should throw away the extra copy of homework he had actually already written for Sehun.

~

Sehun waves his secretary over as he heads towards his office.

"Ms. Lee, please call the board of directors in for an emergency meeting. Oh, and don't forget to notify the security that there will be an onslaught of reporters trying to come in. Make sure that they don't. The reporters are probably going to say something like there's been a homocide near our hotels again and ask how it would affect Oh Hotels and all that. Just reply that we are discussing our next course of action at the moment and will answer their questions and even hold an interview when the meeting is over. After that, just report back to me, understand? "

"A homocide sir?"

"Yes, the body was found at around 4am. We must try to get the reporters to quiet down. Otherwise, the popularity for the Seoul branches will drop immensely. We can't afford that. Do anything you can to stall the reporters from releasing any news regarding this incident until the meeting is done and I can take over."

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Don't forget my coffee."

"Already on your desk sir."

Sehun smiles. Normally, people wouldn't hire a 50-year old mother of 2 as a secretary, but Sehun figures that if she can handle 2 rebellious sons, do chores, work well, and cook, then she can probably do anything. 

~

"Again?!"

"Why are the reporters interrogating us too? It's not like we killed that man."

"You mean those men. It's been 4 murder cases in a week, all of them within a waking distance from us. Of course the reporters are going to come to us too."

"How's our security?"

"Shouldn't we be concerned for our own safety too?"

"At least this will also affect our rivals."

The meeting room was chaotic with sentence fragments being shot left and right. It was filled to the brim with opinions and speculations. 

"Enough!" Sehun slams both his palms down on the table, garnering the attention of the whole room.

"What we need is to find out how to maintain our customers. I don't want to hear anything else, got it?"

The board of directors falls into silence, tentatively nodding. They've all learned of the vice chairman's notorious tendency of firing people on the spot.

Sehun runs a hand through his hair, clearly frustrated.

"First," he starts, "I want to know how much our stock value has decreased and what exactly is being done about the situation by the police."

The financial advisor clears his throat and states, "Ever since the first case on Monday, our shares have fell by 2,220 won. With the total number of our shares amounting to roughly 25 million won, we have lost around 60 million won. Since it's still so early in the morning, I doubt people have heard about last night's case yet. So our stocks are going to take a further hit."

"The police are still investigating and refuse to provide any information. It seems that the victim had one son and was jobless."

"Mr. Park, how would you suggest we get more people to stay at Oh Hotels?"

"Well, I—"

Sehun cuts off the marketing manager, "I want a proposal drafted and on my desk by 6:00pm."

"Yes Mr. Oh."

Buzz

Sehun sees the caller ID and immediately gets up. He waves for the president of operations to continue the meeting. Sehun walks into the men's washroom and raises the phone to his ear.

"Oh Sehun! I leave for one week and this happens!? How are you ever going to take over Oh Hotels with your inability to handle anything?"

"I'm sorry father. We are currently trying to control the situation."

Mr. Oh sighs. "Go to my office at home. Look through the files in my computer and use them to help you. We've been in similar situations before I remember."

"Yes father."

"Good. You better resolve this by the time I get back."

As Sehun listens to the monotone ringing signalling the end of the call, he wonders if he had ever once called that man, "dad". Probably not.

~

"Hi Mom!"

Mrs. Kim chuckles, "Hello Sehun, would you like some cookies?"

"Stop calling her that," Jongin whines. "She's my mom. How come she only gives me cookies when you're here? It's not fair."

Sehun sticks his tongue out at Jongin, "It's because she likes me better."

"No, she does not. Why are you here anyway. You always come to my place, go back home."

"Now Jongin," Mrs. Kim chides, "that's not a very nice thing to say to your friend. Apologize."

"Fine. Sorry," Jongin grumbles. "There, I said it, happy?"

Sehun grins. "It's okay, Mom. I'm used to Jongin's temper anyway."

Mrs. Kim smiles. She hopes that the fact that Sehun being the heir of Oh Hotels, their rival, won't affect his friendship with Jongin.

Little did she know that Sehun would soon destroy their family.