3: 0326

Oh. My. Birthdays.
Please log in to read the full chapter

[Year 23]

 

“Lunch delivery!”

 

My head snapped up at the familiar voice that suddenly broke the silence of my office, eyes rounding as a familiar face popped through the slightly ajar door. A bright smile set the person’s face aglow, and I couldn’t help but let the corners of my lips tug upwards as well.

 

“Since when do you deliver lunch huh, Miss Lee?”

 

“Since today,” She giggled as her whole body slid into room and I noticed her hand holding onto the cooler bag that I’ve always seen in our kitchen. A brow cocked up while she padded over to the large glass coffee table in my office, the smile still etched on her face. “But only for today.”

 

Jen kneeled on the furry rug, the hem of her shorts riding up her thighs slightly, and she began to unpack the contents of the cooler bag while I looked on amusedly.

 

Two large lunch boxes appeared from within and several small ones littered the surface of the table. She beckoned me over, brows furrowing when I made no move to do so. “Kim Xiumin, get your over here!”

 

I snorted, appalled at this sudden display of audacity that was rarely seen at home. The Miss Lee at home was as gentle as a lamb; or that was probably what she wanted us to think. But of course, we all knew she wasn’t like that. We did know her since she was born after all.

 

“Well, someone’s finally revealing her true colours.” I plopped down onto one of the couches, knees touching the edge of the table.

 

With a tch, she handed me a spoon, which I accepted with thanks, and she went about peeling the lids off the numerous containers.

 

The aroma of the foods packed within them wafted upwards and invaded my nostrils, delighting my sense of smell and causing me to salivate. “Did you prepare all these, Jen?”

 

She froze, her fingers midway through the removal of the lid of the last large lunch box.

 

I mock-sighed, my head shaking. “I thought so.”

 

“It’s not my fault Kyungsoo feared for your safety,” She snapped, the lid of the last lunch box slamming onto the surface and I flinched at the loud sound, my heart fearing for the safety of the table instead. “And to think he’s been eating for my meals for years now, only to find fault in them.”

 

She continued to mutter under her breath, her face adorably forming an expression the epitome of scorn. I watched on, my fingers twirling the spoon absentmindedly, until she finally stopped, silence engulfing the room once more.

 

“How long do you have until your lunch time ends?”

 

I tapped my chin with the thin end of the metal spoon, “Seeing how you spent almost five minutes cursing Kyungsoo under your breath…” I eyed her, willing myself to suppress a rising snicker. “About forty-five minutes?”

 

She slouched, her back probably touching the soft edge of the couch, and her lower lip visibly pushed itself out. “Then what are you waiting for? Tuck in already…” Jen gestured to the food, her face still rather put off by the fact that my lunch hour was shortened due to what was supposedly her mistake.

 

I chuckled, “Thank you for the food, then!”



 

“Your food's still better, Jen.”

 

Her spoon paused mid-flight, hanging in the air between her lunch box and mouth. She flitted her eyes to me, and surprise swirled in them.

 

“Why do you look so shocked,” I mock-scoffed, shovelling a spoonful of rice and steamed egg into my mouth. I chewed and swallowed. “You should have more confidence in your cooking, dear.”

 

Her spoon returned to the lunch box, the box itself being set onto the table while her elbows touched the surface of the table as she leant forward slightly.

 

“But y’all always don’t finish my meals! A-And whenever Kyungsoo or Yeol cooks, their food disappears in a matter of minutes!”

 

Meeting her saddened eyes, I tried to emanate the sincerity of my reply as I placed my lunch box down on the table and took her hands in mine. “Don’t compare your food to them. Kyungsoo has been cooking since, what, a child? So it’s a known fact that his food tastes the best.” Her orbs darkened briefly and I hurriedly added, “No offense, sweetheart.”

 

She nodded, her eyes clearing up almost immediately but the reproachfulness remained and I mentally cursed myself for praising the child prodigy of culinary in front of her.

 

“B-But, as much as the boys finish Chanyeol’s food as well, do you notice what he always cooks? Grilled meat, Jen, grilled meat.” I tried to pacify her, my chest contracting when the sadness never did seem to leave her. "You know we can't ever resist meat. We're ing carnivorous dinosaurs, ha ha..."

 

Please log in to read the full chapter