J

Pieces of Lies

 

 

She opened her eyes to see her younger brother and overly popular older brother looming over her. It made her cower. And think of the things that might have prompt them to get angry.

When she moved her head, she saw Jonghyun coolly listening to his headset. His eyes were focused on the manga he was reading. Then she looked up confused to his brothers. Her brothers looked at Jonghyun too.

Then her younger brother whispered, “Is he your boyfriend?” “It is not possible.” she heard her older brother mutter. It made her pout.

“No.” she rolled her eyes. “What happened?” she asked as her brothers’ help her get up. Jonghyun looked up sensing that she has already woken up. 

“You just get yourself bullied.” her older brother grimly replied. She saw something from his eyes. Was it he plans to get back at them? She dismissed the thought.

“Whose fault do you think is it?” she answered in a question manner.

“But you should have defended yourself.” her younger brother shot back. “Or asked us to help you.”

Just then Jonghyun went near her and spoke in a suave voice. “Can I borrow your bike? Mine got busted because of you.”

Both her eyes and her brothers turned into saucer. She was thinking if the guy is not really a prince but a jerk.

“Sorry. But I don’t have a bike.” she said in a small voice.

Jonghyun turned to leave but then her older brother spoke, “You can use mine. For saving our freak sister.”

She kicked her brother. Jonghyun looked back and smiled. It was mesmerizing.

“We’ll have your bike fixed. But fetch this girl until your bike is repaired.”

Jonghyun stopped. Like he was thinking. Then forced an “okay.” Just like that he left.

She found him weird. So she sighed audibly, “Did he just wait me to wake up just to borrow a bike?” Upon hearing her, both her brothers messed her already disarrayed hair.       

 

She was surprised to see Jonghyun at her doorsteps when she was about to go to school. She looked at him puzzled. He just patted the passenger seat of the bike, like he was telling her to sit. She complied.

As soon as she was seated, he pedalled. At first she was enjoying the wind as it brushes her cheeks. But then, he started riding fast. So fast that she hesitantly hold on to him tight. She loosened it when she felt like they were slowing down but hold on to him tight again when he rides even faster. She even leaned her head on his shoulder. She was in that position when they reached school. The sudden halt made her bump so hard on his back prompting her to hold even tighter. It was like her embracing him boldly. Just then she felt a strong flick on her forehead. It was Jonghyun. She heard him “tsk”. She ducked her head in embarrassment and followed him slowly to their room.

 

She was off to lalala land when a stone hit her forehead. She searched for the culprit and found the same girl who threatened her. She instantly ducked her head like it can protect her from the witch. Jonghyun noticed her. Again she heard him “tsk” and found it funny that he never get caught using his cellphone and headset even though he blatantly use it. She pouted and heard a click. In a dart she looked at Jonghyun who mischievously hid his phone and resumed listening to the teacher. Again, she pouted. That prince looking jerk, she thought.

 

At their dismissal, she hurriedly left to avoid Jonghyun and decided to ride the bus instead. She felt so embarrassed in the morning and it is just so awkward around him. Him not talking and the “tsk” thing he does all the time.

 

However before she even reach the bus station, she was dragged to a secluded area. It was like a déjà vu. There she found the girl who threatened her glaring. Beside her was a doll like girl, with cute little puffy cheeks and pink lips. The doll like girl seems devastated and her eyes were all red and swollen. She then smelled trouble.

“Yah!” the girl who threatened her shouted. “Your brother dare dump our Sena and you are DEAD!”

She frantically searched for an exit to run and escape from the mob but she didn’t find an opening. All she could do to protect herself was shield herself with her bag. Unfortunately, the strong kicks and punches she received were too much to handle. She felt herself unable to bear everything any longer. She felt herself losing her breath.

 

“Tsk!” she heard a sound from beside her.

She knew it was him. From the sound of his voice, he was furious.

“You came.” was all she mustered to whisper. She heard him “tsk” again. Then he went ballistic. He started driving them off by swinging his bag back and forth. The mob firends of the girl who threatened along with doll like girl was too many for him to handle alone. So he hurriedly piggy backed her and run towards the crowd. When he felt safe enough, he slowly walked toward the bike which seemed so miserably thrown behind. 

On their way to the hospital, she mumbled thanks over and over again. But all she heard from him was “troublesome freak”. She wanted to get angry at him yet remembering how he saved her made her smile. She even noted that he had screamed, “You always make me worry! What am I gonna do with you.” when he was fending off the mob of girls. Even though the ride was slow, she let herself freely hug him tight and then she slept.

 

When she woke up from the hospital the next morning, she has bandages all over her. She felt like she is going to be mummified. She searched for her brother but all she saw was Jonghyun, the usual, listening to his mp3. Then she heard a click. She raised her brows upon seeing him grin. It is when realization hit her. He was taking pictures. Of her in her mummified glory. The prince is really a jerk after all.

“Yah!” she screamed.

“What?” he asked straight faced.

“You’re taking pictures.”

“So.”

“Yah!” she screamed again. “I look like a mummy.” she pouted.

He just laughed at her. And he looked so darn handsome. She shook her head and reached for his cellphone but failed miserably when she felt her arms and hips throb. She squinted.

“Careful.” he said, his face serious and the laughter faded. Then he turned poker-faced again. “I am tired. Give me an extra space.”

Her eyes turned saucer and she went, “NO!”

But then he won. He carefully pushed her aside, making enough room for him to lie next to her. All she can do was pout. Then it turned into awe when she saw him sleep like an angel.

  

She was almost ready to get dispersed from the hospital. Her recovery was quite fast. Then the news about them moving and her transferring school made her lose the enthusiasm to heal. She wanted an explanation. She wanted to stay. But then, she can’t argue any further. They said it was for her. For her safety. Because she almost died if not for Jonghyun. 

 

She wrote a letter to Jonghyun. It was all about how thankful she was for him, saving her life and accompanying her in the hospital even though all he do was sleep and “tsk” and take weird pictures of her. Then inside it, she left the silver necklace she was wearing, the one with a shoe pendant. She left. He didn’t make it to the airport. Nor did she heard of him again.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

The sun was hot. It pricked Dara’s skin. But she stayed at the bench as if she was sun bathing. She closed her eyes, felt herself sob. She knew she was not a bully. She was the one who got bullied. To top it all, the bench she was sitting witnessed how long she stayed at the hospital room behind her because of the injury. Looking at the room now, it felt as if it was just yesterday when she was sleeping at the soft bed. J just beside her, sleeping too.

“Is it you who is threatening me?” she wondered then asked “Why?”

Her phone ring. It was Jiyong. She felt the urge to just let it ring until he stopped calling but then decided to answer it. She faked an enthusiastic voice.

“Ajjuma!”

“Yah!” Jiyong answered in a half joking voice. “Where are you?”

“On my vacation.” she cheerily replied.

“You don’t need to pretend.” he said in a low voice. She didn’t answer.

“Are you okay?” he asked. A tear escaped her eyes. She wiped it and bit herself taking time to steady her voice.

“Should I accompany you?” he asked again.

“Good luck on your album. Fighting!” she loudly answered before pressing the end button. However Jiyong noticed her voice trembling at the end. Jiyong scratched his head and sighed. “What am I gonna do with you? Aish.”

 

Dara left the bench and headed out of the hospital. A familiar doctor recognized and greeted her.

“Hi.” the doctor greeted.

She smiled and greeted him too. “Hi.”

“You are that mummy right?”

The statement made Dara chuckle in response. She was thinking he recognized him as Dara of 2ne1. “Doctor!”

“Oh, you look so pretty now. I barely recognized you.”

“Ne~” she answered blushing.

“You are still with the guy with the headset?” he asked.

“Ye?”

“Oh, you are not with the headset guy anymore. Was it Jong... Jongmin?”

“Ah. Ne~ Jungshin. When I get dispersed from the hospital, I didn’t see him anymore. Because I left urgently.”

“Oh. I remember on your last day, he was running holding a paper and a necklace looking for you. So I thought you met.”

“We didn’t. But I think I found him.”

 

 

 

*waaaah~~~~ sorry it took me so loooooooooooooooooong before posting again. T.T I am nearly done with this fic but just can't find time to post it. So I posted like five chaps. please don't abandon this fic, cause I won't kamsa!!! ^_^