Rule #5

Rules of Deduction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #5: Study a person and their behaviour when put in different situations

Saera pushed the front door to the bakery open and dragged her body behind the counter. The mid day rush just ended and now was the lull where almost no one was inside.

She tossed her bag aside and traded her heels for a pair of slippers before grabbing the broom. She started cleaning up as she sorted out her thoughts.

Youngjae had never snapped like that at her before.

He annoyed her and , but he never flipped out like that.

It scared her that there was so much about her little brother's life that she didn't know. She spent so much time trying to make ends meet that it was hard to be caught up on everything he was going through.

Not to mention Youngjae was never the type to share his feelings. He wouldn't even hug her unless she tackled him down.

". Sae. I almost died when lunch rush hit. I mean, I know we don't get a lot of customer but it feels like we work at Starbucks when it's only me behind the counter." Mireu said as she walked in holding a tray of warm cookies.

Saera brought the dustpan over to the garbage bin and emptied it out, "I'm sorry. A lot of stuff came up and I needed to go by Youngjae's school. But I'll be here the whole day, tomorrow."

"I saw Youngjae come in earlier." Mireu said while stacking the cookies into the display case.

Saera sighed and picked up a dish rag before wiping down the counters, "Yeah."

"I gave him a bag of ice. He's in his room."

Saera bit down on her lip, feeling her hands tremble, "Thanks."

"Want to tell me what happened?" Mireu asked while dusting her hands off.

Saera leaned against the counter, "I think he's getting bullied. He got into a fight with another kid at school."

Mireu nodded, "Youngjae isn't the type to fight."

"I know. That's why I don't know what to do. He doesn't want to talk to me about it but I don't want to just let it go or it could get worse." Saera said while twisting the rag in her hand.

Mireu sighed, "Give him some time to cool down and then try talking to him. Honestly, I'm a little surprised I always thought he had a lot of friends."

"That's the thing. He does have a lot of friends and I've met them. They're great boys and Youngjae always laughs and smiles when he's with them. But that doesn't mean anything. You can still get bullied even if you have friends." Saera said.

Mireu untied her apron, "Like I said, he just needs a little time to get over his anger and then it might be easier for you to talk to him."

"Yeah. You're probably right. You're going on break?" Saera asked when Mireu hung up her apron.

She nodded, "I'll be back in 30 minutes."

Saera looked around the shop before shaking her head, "You can just head home. I'll take care of the rest of the day. I kind of owe you for covering for me."

"Are you sure?" Mireu asked unsurely.

Saera smiled. She met Mireu in highschool but unlike herself, Mireu had actually gone to university but she had  so much trouble landing a job that Saera didn't think twice about offering her a job at the bakery until she found another job.

Saera could not ask for a better co-worker or friend.

"I'm totally sure. You deserve the time off."

Mireu nodded and started to put her jacket on, "How did the thing with the investor go?"

Bad. She thought. Mark didn't want to work with her which meant she lost the chance of making more money, but her heart skipped a beat at the thought of having 25K.

She could barely imagine the life that she could finally give Youngjae. 

He might actually get to be a normal boy.

"Pretty good actually. I think we might be coming into some money soon."

Mireu raised a brow as a smile curled up her lips, "Are you serious?! That's awesome! How did you get that to happen?"

"Um…it's kind of a long story, but the short version is that I found someone in desperate need of a psychic." Saera said while scratching the back of her head.

Mireu's face fell, "Sae, that's n--"

"Go! Your boss is giving you time off and you're standing around nagging me. Shoo!"

Mireu shot her a this isn't over look and left the shop. Saera tied her hair up and started to finish all the chores she had to do around the store.

She even had time to experiment with a new recipe that she had to remember to get Mireu's opinion on.

She was in the middle of icing it when the chimes on the front door signalled someone entering the store.

Saera walked out from the back, wiping her hands when a man was looking at the display case.

"Hi, what can I get you?"

The man was dressed in an expensive suit glanced up at her, "Two blueberry muffins and a black coffee."

Saera nodded and prepared his order before ringing him up, "That'll be $6."

"I'll pay by credit."

Saera nodded and typed in the code for a credit card payment and took the card from the man. Just as she was about to swipe it through, something caught her eye.

Park Kyung Nam.

Her eyes widened as she looked back up at the customer who was busily scrolling through his phone.

This was the last man to have seen Min Ah alive.

Other than her killer.  

Saera's hand started to shake as she her lips. She looked back at the card just as the customer spoke up.

"Is there a problem?"

Saera jumped and almost dropped the card. "I-I'm sorry?"

"You haven't swiped the card. Is it not going through or something?" He asked while looking up from his phone.

Saera cleared , "N-No nothing's wrong.  I just need to see some ID."

"Why?" He asked while furrowing his brows.

Saera tried to give him an easy smile, "We're a small company, we can't risk any stolen identities. We need proof that this card is yours."

The man sighed in annoyance and pulled out his wallet before handing her his driver's license.

She took it from him before looking back and forth between his credit card and license.

Park Kyung Nam.

She swallowed the lump down and looked at his address she read it over a few times, memorizing it, drilling it into her head before handing it back to him.

Her hand was trembling before swiping the card. It took a few tries before the charge went through.

She ripped the receipt off of the cash register and handed both the card and the food to the man. He grabbed them and gave her a half nod while reading something off his phone.

The second the door closed, she grabbed her notebook and wrote out his address with the words driver's licence written next to it.

She pulled her phone out and started scrolling through the pictures that she had taken of Mark's case files.   

He was detailed and thorough. She could give him that. His notes were neat and clean which was great.

Which made it was easier for her read.

She zoomed into the picture and scanned his writing from left to right. Her eyes widened as she absorbed all the information.

A serial killer.

A serial killer that goes by the name of The Collector.

The man who killed Min Ah, the man who just came into her store might be a serial killer.

A serial killer who chops up his victims, packs them up in boxes and sends them to the police department.

He was a sick .

Mark had written out notes of The Collector's pattern.

All blonde, all es with no family, all with a purple ribbon with a bell tied around their neck and all packed in the same metal container.

She felt the hairs on the back of her neck raise as she started to grasp the volume of the case. She had witnessed the murder of a serial killer.

What was she thinking?

Then she made the mistake of swiping her finger against the screen.

She had to run to the bathroom and vomit.

They were pictures of the bodies.

Some were pictures of the bodies, mutilated, spread out on an operating table and other pictures were of the bodies inside the boxes.

She splattered cold water on her face and gripped the side of the sink as she tried to calm herself down.

"Are you okay?"

Saera let out a loud scream and plastered herself to the bathroom wall. Youngjae stumbled back and clutched his chest with an equally terrified scream.

"What the hell is wrong with you!?" He screeched with wide eyes.

Saera covered her eyes and let out a breath, "I…don't sneak up on me. You freaked me out."

"Mireu texted me telling me that you were down here alone.  I don't think you should close up by yourself so I just wanted to keep you company." Youngjae said while dumping the melted bag of ice into the sink.

He scrunched his nose up, "Did you throw up? Are you sick or something?"

Saera rolled her eyes when Youngjae pinched his nose and started spraying the bathroom with air freshener.

"Come on. Let's go up front." She muttered, pulling him out with her.

The two of them stood behind the counter and she was quick to flip her phone over.

Youngjae would normally help around either during school breaks or whenever he was bored and had nothing else to do.

Youngjae winced when she pulled him closer to the stove and she quickly let go of his arm, "Are you still hurt?"

Youngjae looked at the floor, "It's just a little sore."

Saera sighed and walked up to the freezer to get him another bag of ice, "We're going to actually have to talk abo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter