Rule #27

Rules of Deduction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #27: See the world through magnifying glasses, not rose colour glasses

Mark bursted through the door, panting as his eyes darted frantically around the room until his eyes landed on the pretty little psychic who was standing in front of his couch.

"Sae." He breathed out.

She slowly turned and faced him with tears streaking down her face before she stepped to the side, revealing the person who was sitting on the couch.

Mark let out a stunned breath and fell to his knees, "Oh my god, you're really alive."

"Yeah." Mireu said with wide, terrified eyes. "I-I am."

Mark shook his head, "Wait, how did you find my house?"

"I called the precinct when I couldn't reach Youngjae or Saera, since she told me that she was working with you. Someone named BamBam answered the phone and when he found out who I was, he flipped out and told me your address and how you two were staying with each other. It's so ed up, I was actually excited that you two were living together but I guess that was premature." Her voice cracked as her body shook.

Mark looked at the brunette Mireu when he heard her quivering voice, "What's wrong?" He asked gently while cutting Saera worried looks.

"Saera just told me what happened. Is it true? Did you really get a dead body with my face?" Her voice cracked and tears filled her eyes as her hands trembled.

Mark's eyes softened as he glanced at Saera who stared at her friend in misery, "We're still trying to wrap our heads around it, but yes. A Jane Doe was sent to Saera's house and looked identical to you. How much has Saera told you?"

"She's filled me in on everything. The Collector, the bodies, the night of the wedding, everything. I-I can't believe this." She whispered before hugging her knees to her chest. "That's terrifying. I'm so sorry you went through that and I'm so sorry you guys thought it was me."

Saera shook her head and knelt in front of Mireu, who was sobbing agonizingly, "It's okay Mi, I'm fine, I'm safe, so is Youngjae. Don't worry about me. Where have you been? You vanished for a week."

Mark timidly walked up behind Saera and watched as she brushed strands of hair from Mireu's face.

Mireu's face twisted into confusion as she pulled away from Saera, "What are you talking about? You know where I've been. I told you."

"Uh…no you didn't." Saera said in confusion before giving Mark a lost look. A look that he could only mirror.

Mireu looked at her incredulously, "Saera, you sent me a text the night of your friend's wedding telling me to take the week off and to go visit my parents."

"W-Wha…I didn't…Mireu, I never sent you anything that night." Saera stuttered while looking between Mark and Mireu.

The girl wiped her nose with her sleeve before she fumbled around her purse before pulling her phone out. She tapped on the screen before turning it towards her.

"See?"

Saera took the phone and waited until Mark was hovering behind her, reading the texts over her shoulder. She shuddered when she felt his breath, and scrolled through the messages.

From: Saera                                                                                                   To: Mireu      

Take the week off, I'm taking a little time off as well.      

You? Taking time off? Are you sick or something?

No. I'm not. I just want to take a break from the bakery.

And you want me to take a vacation? Are you sure you're not sick?

Yes.

I mean…I guess I could. A break would be nice.

You haven't seen your parents in forever. Go visit them.

You know what? You're right. Maybe I will. Thanks Sae!

Anything for you.

 

Saera felt the blood rush out of her face and her stomach feel sick, "Mireu, I-I never sent you these."

"But the contact was saved under your name." Mireu's voice shook as she pointed to the name. "I already had this number saved on my phone even before this text."

Mark knelt down next to Saera and let out a shaky breath while taking the phone from her. He clicked on Mireu's contacts and scrolled down to the 'S' section before showing it to her.

"Saera, I made you change your phone number. Mireu has two contacts named 'Saera'. Your old one and your new one." He said ominously.

Mireu's eyes widened, "That's right, but you never told me why so I kept your old number on my phone just to be safe. I must've forgotten and just assumed this was your new number"

"He must've gotten hold of my old number." Saera whispered softly.

Mark rubbed his eyes, "Why didn't you call Saera once that whole week even to check in?"

"I was up visiting my parents. They live in the country side and there's no cell service and since I thought you were the one who offered it, I didn't think I needed to check in." Mireu whimpered as her face paled.

Saera looked stunned, "B-ut you were okay? Nothing happened to you during your trip?"

"Nothing at all." Mireu confirmed.

"Unbelievable." Mark muttered.

Saera shook her head, "I swear to god Mireu, that girl looked exactly like you."

"Our medical examiner agrees. It was an identical match." Mark added.

Mireu looked horrified, "How is that even possible?"

Saera's eyes widened as everything zoomed into focus.

When she found Mireu's body, she noticed little knicks on the side of her face. Like little cut marks. 

"Mireu…" She said softly.

The girl looked at her with a pained expression, "Yeah?"

"You need to go back to your parents' place. You need to stay there until we say it's safe." She said firmly.

Mireu looked unsure, "But what about you?"

"I'll look after her." Mark said suddenly, "I won't let anything happen to her, I promise, but she's right, Mireu. You need to stay away from here, with your parents."

"Okay." Mireu said softly while curling into a ball, rocking herself back and forth.

Saera nodded in resolve, "We'll get someone to send you back, but for now, Mark?"

The man looked at her as she turned to face him, "Yeah?"

"I just had another vision."

-----

"A plastic surgeon?" Mark asked as he wove them through the traffic.

Saera stared out the window. She had spoken to women who had gotten plastic surgery before and all of them told her about how they hated the small scars that the knife had left around their faces.

She didn't know how she didn't see it before.

The Mireu in the box wasn't born with that face, she was given that face. And judging how The Collector was picking people close to Saera, she knew that this had to be connected to her or someone she knew.

Then the answer rang loud and clear.

Mrs. Kang's husband.

She was her best client and her husband was a plastic surgeon that was known for doing under the table deals.

"My vision shows a Jane Doe going under the knife. That must be how she got Mireu's face. She was probably a blonde e just like the other victims." She said while rubbing her temples dramatically.

Mark glanced at her before staring back out the window as he pulled up to the clinic, "And you're sure this man has the answers?"

Saera twisted her jade ring nervously.

"I'm sure."

-----

"Your features really are impressive, Detective Tuan. I'd love to  get a few photographs for future reference because your proportions are astounding."

Mark shifted uncomfortably in the large doctor's office before shaking his head, "I'm not here to be your muse. We have some questions regarding a client of yours."

Saera held up a picture of the 'fake' Mireu. "Seem familiar?"

Dr. Kang pulled his glasses up his nose and scanned the picture before nodding, "Yes, I remember her. I did her procedure about a month ago."

"Let me guess." Mark said emotionlessly, "She's was e."

Dr. Kang looked surprised, "Yeah, how did you know?"

"Lucky guess." Mark muttered before giving Saera a look.

She shook her head, "Wait, how did you know?"

Dr. Kang gave her an uncomfortable look, "She offered me her…services. I obviously declined. I have a lovely wife and I couldn't discriminate against her and she was in such a good mood. She kept saying that her life was about to turn around and that this surgery was her fresh start."

"What did she mean by fresh start?" Mark asked skeptically.

Dr. Kang shook his head, "I have no idea, but she seemed so hopeful."

"What exactly did she ask for when she came in for her consultation." Saera asked while leaning against the leather chair.

"About a week before her surgery she came in with a bag filled with cash and pictures of a girl, who looked exactly like this picture except she was brunette. And she wanted full reconstructive

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter