Melt into a puddle

More Than A Babysitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

JESSICA’S POV

 

 

When I arrived at work on Thursday, the office was humming. A major client was expected at ten. The presentation the senior management team had prepared, if successful, would bring in a huge influx of cash and push the reputation of C&H Associates even higher. While I hadn’t been involved in the project, I felt the same air of anticipation the team members did. I wanted the presentation to go well as I took pride in my firm.

 

Shortly before ten, Taeyeon hurried to my desk, a worried frown on her face.

 

“Jess, can I speak to you privately?” Taeyeon asked. Her gaze darting nervously at the nearby desks.

 

“Yeah, sure.” I rose and followed her to Seunghyun’s office. Taeyeon closed the door behind us.

 

“We’ve got an emergency on our hands. The nanny I hired quit without notice this morning. I’m trying to get someone but so far no luck. At least I cant get anyone to watch the girls ASAP. And the presentation for MCorp is due to begin in less than a half hour. Seunghyun oppa has to be here. I don’t know what else to do. You’re the only one who can help me now. Could you look after the girls?”

 

“Me?” I asked. Not again!

 

“I know being a nanny isn’t in your prescription but this is really an emergency. I wouldn’t ask you to do it if it isn’t. If I could tell oppa you’re watching his kids, it would go a long way to relieving his mind. The girls know you and you know how to handle them. So, please?”

 

“Did Seunghyun ask you to get me?” I asked, growing cold at the thought of my hard work being ignored so I could function as a convenient nanny.

 

“No. He thinks I’m still trying the different agencies. If you refuse, I might have to go myself but I don’t think I could, considering I have to prepare for the presentation. I still have to provide the coffee for the group and be ready to make photocopies if needed, or take a quick fax.” Taeyeon wrung her hands, obviously upset. “Of all the days for this to happen. Why on earth didn’t that woman wait until it’s weekend to quit her job? Please, Jess, it’s just for today. Tomorrow Seunghyun can stay home with them until I can find another babysitter. But not today. This meeting is too important.

 

“Let me think.” I said, trying to remember all I’d planned to do for today. “I was analyzing some of the Hong Kong information from TechnoGear.”

 

“Just bring your laptop and every document that you’d need to his home. You can work there. How about it?” Taeyeon looked at her watch. It was almost nine forty-five.

 

“Fine. I’ll get my papers and leave immediately.”

 

“Let me call Seunghyun oppa first.” Taeyeon punched in his phone number.

 

“Oppa? No. I didn’t find anyone yet but Jessica said she’d watch them….Okay, I’ll tell her.” Taeyeon hung up and grinned.

 

“Thank you so much, Jess. Oppa said you saved his life and that of the firm and he’ll be forever indebted to you. He’s bringing the girls here. You can meet them at the lobby. There’s no time for him to wait for you to get there before leaving for the office. Not if he wants to be on time for the meeting.”

 

“That’ll give me a chance to get my stuff together.”

 

Feeling torn, I returned to my desk. I was glad to help, I wanted to be viewed as a team player. But somehow, I didn’t see a role as a chief babysitter doing much to advance my career. Still, it was nice to have the owner of the firm feel indebted to me.

 

In the lobby, I waited. I had all the materials I needed to finish my analysis of the Hong Kong market in my briefcase. As long as I could review everything, I’d be fine. Of course I only be able to work when the girls napped, but at least I’d have a few hours. And maybe I could bribe them with “Roly Poly Oly” or something else on the television to keep them occupied.

 

Seunghyun hustled through the tall glass doors, a child’s hand in each of his. The little girls had to run to keep up with his long stride. He looked harried and rushed and downright handsome. I felt my heart rate increase.

 

“Jessi, you’re a wonder.” He leaned over and kissed me lightly. Stopping to eye level with the twins, he looked at them. “You two be good for Jessi. Don’t be naughty and don’t get into trouble. Okay?”

 

Both girls nodded solemnly.

 

“Kay, appa.” Ha-eun said.

 

“Me too.” Ye-eun said, then gave me a sunny smile.

 

Seunghyun rose and handed them over to me. “I don’t know how late I’ll be. I had planned to take the clients to dinner but if I can get out of it, I will.”

 

“Don’t worry about it, Seunghyun. Do what you need to get the contract. I’m going to borrow you work desk and keep working tonight if you’re late. I’d probably get some done once they’re in bed. Good luck!”

 

His eyes gazed into mine for a long moment. “Thanks, Jessi. I owe you one.” He brushed his lips against mine again and strode to the elevator.

 

I watched him wistfully, wishing I was going back to the office with him, wishing I was participating in the presentation.

 

“Jessi, play wif me?” Ye-eun asked, smiling.

 

“Okay, baby girl. Jessi will play with both of you. But first we have to go to my house so I can change my clothes. Then we’ll go to the park, have lunch and take a long nap. Won’t that be fun?”

 

**

 

When the girls napped, I took my briefcase and headed for the door to Seunghyun’s bedroom. Conscious of the rumpled king-size bed that dominated the room, I gazed around, analyzing every inch and corner of the room. The natural and muted tones of whites, grays and blues in the bedroom gave out the vibe of casualness yet refined in its own way. I stepped inside and took a breath. The room smelled like Seunghyun. Instantly, my senses came alive. Gazing at the bed, I saw the left pillow still bore the indentation from his head. So he slept on that side. Did he every night? He was a tall guy, with a muscular fit body, so he probably liked the space the huge bed provided.

 

His closet door was slightly ajar, displaying a row of suits and shirts. I closed it lest I found myself distracted. It was bad enough to have his bed just a few feet behind me. There was a bathroom adjacent to the bedroom. Spotting his shaving paraphernalia, I walked to the door and studied the room. He hung up his towels and didn’t leave his clothes lying around. But the cans and jars sitting on the counter looked foreign to my eyes. I’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter