Final

Along for the Ride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was in the winter of my life, and the man I met along the road was my only summer. At night I fell asleep with visions of myself dancing and laughing and crying with him. Three years down the line of being on an endless world tour and my memories of him were the only things that sustained me, and my only real happy times. I wanted to become a singer, I was a singer not a very popular one, who once had dreams of becoming a beautiful poet, but upon an unfortunate series of events, saw those dreams dashed and divided like a million stars in the night sky that I wished on over and over again sparkling and broken. But I didn’t really mind because I knew that it takes getting everything you ever wanted and then losing it to know what true freedom is. When the people I used to know found out what I had been doing, how I had been living, they asked me why. But there’s no use in talking to people who have a home, they have no idea what it’s like to seek safety in other people, for home to be wherever you lie your head.

 

 

"Chaerin..." He breathlessly say as I entered his car. I looked at his face, it's been a year and four months since I last saw him. But he's still dashing as ever. I kissed him like what I have been dying to do since the day he left me. And now that he's back, I do not know what to say. "Say something. baby." He said and I burst into tears. I do not know what to say, I do not know how to act.

 

 

I'm happy that he's back but the fact that he's back makes me even sadder. He's going to leave me again. After a week or two. This whole situation where I cannot do nothing but wait.

 

 

"I'm back for you." He said as my cries started to get louder.

 

 

"But you'll have to leave again." I answered as I went to him. Straddling his lap as I buried my face to his neck, memorizing every inch of his smell that I have to remember before I see him again.

 

 

"I'm sorry Chae." He whispered to my ear as he hugged me tighter.

 

 

I wiped the tears that were constantly flowing and tried to smile.

 

 

"Let's get going." I said as I went to my seat and for the first time this day. I smiled genuinely.

 

 

Kwon Jiyong, the guy that I met on the road three years ago. I was waiting for someone to accompany me that night. Because I'm alone. In my whole existence, I've been alone. And the day that I met Jiyong was an exception. He made me feel alive and wanted. He made me feel everything. He made me feel divine. We went on the road for a week. We slept inside his car, we took our showers in lakes, we ate on stores beside the road.

 

 

I was so carefree. I feel so young, so good, so naive.

 

 

I was too naive to know that when he stopped his car on the same road where he picked me up and said, "This is everything," and kissed me on the lips like it's the last thing he can do, he's pertaining to never seeing me again.

 

 

I stood rooted on my spot. I didn't know what to do. But I guess I'll be back on being alone.

 

 

When he came back three months after he left me and saw me on the same road that he left me. He told me the truth. That in four years, he'll marry his girlfriend and he already proposed and she said yes. He's just out to unwind and clear some things when he suddenly met me and the things went out of order.

 

 

"Do you regret meeting me?" I asked Jiyong when I entered his car that time.

 

 

"Hell no, I will never regret meeting you Chaerin." He said and kissed the crown of my head. I smiled at him because I know that a part was true.

 

 

Maybe what he always tell me are lies. But I'm alright, as long as I he will come back.

 

 

"Chaerin-ah..." He cooed over me and kissed my cheek. I giggled like a child because he's definitely the sweetest thing.

 

 

"What?" I asked him.

 

 

"I told you to call me oppa, didn't I?" He pouted at me as I laughed at his silliness.

 

 

"Fine," I rolled my eyes at him. "Where are we going oppa?" I emphasized the word oppa that made him chuckle.

 

 

"I prepared things differently Chae-ah." He smiled excitedly at me. Those perfect set of teeth that made me like him even more.

 

 

True enough, I found ourselves on a cabin, where there are only few people. It's a small village and he parked his car in front of a small but nice house.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter