My Dear, My Love

My Dear, My Love

Worn out red converse sneakers strolled across a semi-busy sidewalk. A white plastic bag filled with trinkets and merchandise from a music store swung back and forth in the hands of a young adult male. Black headphones sat on top of his chocolate brown hair and covered his ears playing soft melodies that brought peace to his mind.

Kim Jongin had the plastic bag clutched tightly in one hand and his iPod in the other as he entered his home. He took down his headphones and allowed it to hang around his neck just in time to hear his mother call out to him.

Yes, mom. It’s me, I just got back.” He says walking into the kitchen. His mother was standing in front of the stove mixing something that looked like kimchi soup in one pot and pork belly sizzling in a pan next to it.

A package came in for you while you were at school, I put it on your bed.”

In an instant, Jongin’s eyes lit up and he walked over to give his mom a kiss on the cheek.

Thanks mom, I’ll wash up and I’ll come back down for dinner.” Jongin dashes out the kitchen and up the stairs to retrieve the package he waited forever for.

Jongin enters his room and finds a small brown box sitting neatly on his disarranged bed. He carelessly threw his school bag at the foot of his desk and tossed the white plastic bag at the foot of his bed. Without hesitation, he jumped on his bed and used scissors to cut through the tape that sealed the folds of the box.

Oh my god.” He whispers whilst tossing out tissue paper. The box contained a black t-shirt, a folded banner with black lettering, and an envelope. He carefully took out each item one by one with the same excited facial expression.

Starting with the black t-shirt, he slowly unfolded it and almost squealed in delight. Instead, he fell back against his bed and held the shirt closely to his chest and threw a fit of giggles. It was a plain black t-shirt with simple white lettering across the chest that read It's You Tour. Jongin flipped the shirt around and found #DKS across the upper back also in large white letters.

Jongin reached beside the box and opened the white banner that said I love you, Do Kyungsoo with a red heart at the end. So far, everything in this box was what he needed for this Saturday but the contents of the envelope is what completed the package.

Slowly sliding his slender index finger to rip open the envelope, his mouth gapes open at the sight of two tickets and two neon yellow lanyards with cards attached to the ends. He proceeded with caution and picked up both the tickets and lanyards to observe the items. He stared in awe at the items that he held in his hands; a stare that spoke "I can't believe this is happening to me."

The bubbly feeling in his stomach could not wait any longer. He reached for his phone within seconds. After a couple of more rings, someone answered.

"Hey, want to have dinner at my house?"


 

>>


 

"Just eat up. Okay, Sehun? There's a lot of food." Jongin's mother instructed, placing the dipping sauce next to the main dish on the coffee table.

"Yes, mom. Thank you for the meal." Sehun says, smiling at the sight of pork belly, kimchi soup, and various side dishes.

As soon as Jongin's mother left the living room, Sehun's cheerful smile changed into a frown as he stared at his overly excited friend that sat across of him.

"Jongin, I was in the middle of an important mission in my game. This better be important news or I'm telling mom that I'm doing take out." Sehun says whilst take a spoonful of kimchi soup into his mouth.

"Okay, don't get too excited but," Jongin bites his lip and retrieves the envelope beside him. "I got our tickets and v.i.p passes to the concert on Saturday!"

While Jongin holds the envelope in front of him with a large grin on his face, Sehun slowly brings a slice of pork belly into his mouth with an uninterested facial expression.

"Seriously, Jongin? You couldn't tell me this over the phone?" Sehun sighs. "I understand you've been waiting for centuries for this weekend, but this is something that is talking-over-the-phone worthy."

Jongin pouts and stuffs a few pieces of pork belly into his mouth before speaking. "Hey, you're my best friend and my feelings were already overflowing so I couldn't wait until tomorrow to tell you."

Sehun puts his hands up and swallows his food. "Okay, okay, you're my best friend and I get it. So what is exactly going on on Saturday?"

Jongin goes over in precise detail what their plans were on Saturday. From the time they should leave their house until the time they should be leaving the venue. Sehun sat there with an uncomfortable facial expression but because Jongin was his best friend since elementary, he would do anything for him, even if it meant going to a concert he wasn't just as excited for.

"We can take my car, but you're going to have to drive back home because I don't think I'll be able to make through the first three minutes of the concert." Jongin explains clutching the small envelope against his chest.

Sehun laughs and shakes his head. "You're obsessed!"

"Hey, shut up. You're obsessed with that Chinese singer- what was his name again? Luhan?" Jongin teases back, targeting Sehun's weak point. Sehun began to choke on his own saliva once Jongin completed his sentence.

"For your information, Jongin, I am not obsessed. I just happened to really love his music." Sehun made an attempt to defend himself but he could clearly tell that Jongin was not buying it. Instead, Jongin chuckled and switched his attention to the envelope.

He took the neon yellow lanyard out and stared at the words DO KYUNGSOO IT'S YOU TOUR VIP PASS Jongin stared at the plastic card lovingly and felt butterflies in his stomach dance around his stomach. This Saturday was going to be the best day of his life.

"God, Jongin. The look on your face is making me sick, just eat your food already." Sehun scoffs, shoving a lettuce wrap in front of his face.


 

>>


 

Jongin could not stop fiddling with his banner; folding and unfolding, playing with the corners, and tracing the letters with his index finger. The butterflies in his stomach would not stop fluttering and banging against his insides. The day has finally come, the day Kim Jongin meets his favorite idol, Do Kyungsoo.

It was 4 months before graduating high school and the pressure of homework and final grades were getting the best of him. He had been staying late after school catching up on projects, doing extra credit, and staying up late to do homework; what was sleep nowadays?

While Oh Sehun was out having a good time on a Friday night, Jongin was stuck at home listening to music and editing an essay. He stared at the words with half-lidded eyes, head leaning forward, and his red pen almost slipping out of his grasp.

Stay awake, Jongin. Stay awake.

Jongin rubs his eyes and opens up an internet browser from his laptop to listen to a song online. The screen began to lag and a tired and frustrated Jongin started to click anywhere on the screen. Suddenly, another video showed up with an artist he's never heard of before.

"Do... Kyung... Soo?" He yawns.

The video was an interview of the young fellow who was dressed in a perfectly ironed black long sleeved shirt with his hair pushed back.

"So Kyungsoo, you have only debuted for four months and you already have a large amount of fans, how do you feel about that?"

The idol laughs and Jongin had never been more captivated by anyone else's smile. The boy's heart shaped lips when he smiled and his laugh were enough to keep Jongin watching the interview even longer.

"Well- I mean- I'm really grateful for all of them. They're the ones who made my dream come true by standing by my side and supporting me."

"Before I move on to the next topic, is there anything you'd like to say to your fans?"

The boy laughed again and Jongin couldn't help but return a smile and feel heat rushing to his cheeks. The idol looked directly into the camera with his heart shaped smile as if he was locking his eyes with Jongin.

"I just wanted to say thank you to each and everyone of you. Even if you've been with me since the beginning or if you're only tuning in with me now, I'm still more than thankful for your support. I understand that it's almost graduation for the high schoolers, so work hard, study, and never forget that your health comes first. I had also been in the same situation so please continue to focus in school and graduate with amazing scores. Thank you, my fans. I love you all."

"Ah yes, graduation time for high schoolers. Tell us Kyungsoo, how were you-"

Jongin looked around his desk and eyed out each of his papers and in a deep breath.

Focus Jongin, focus.

Jongin typed in the idol's name and found his debut mini-album and had it on replay whilst doing his work. He worked diligently as the idol's words replayed in his mind like a broken record he wouldn't mind listening to over and over again.

"I had also been in the same situation so please continue to focus in school and graduate with amazing scores. Thank you, my fans. I love you all."

Since then, Jongin has been a dedicated Heartbeat. He had two of Kyungsoo's albums but he usually just buys the digital album. One side of his room has posters and small photos of the idol and on the corner of his desk was a light stick. A blue heart was a attached to the black cylindrical base and a red heart beat signal ran through the middle of the heart.

The light stick never moved from his desk unless he was waving it back and forth whilst watching live performances from his laptop and right now; in the cup holder of his car. He held the light stick and visioned himself in the sapphire and ruby ocean singing along with other Heartbeats to Kyungsoo's beautiful voice.

Tak! Tak!

"Jongin, there is no way we can get good parking if you don't unlock your car door and let me in."

Jongin made eye contact with Sehun who was bent over, peering through the passenger window, staring at Kyungsoo who had his lips pressed against the glowing beating heart light stick. He scrambled to put his light stick down and unlock his car door.

"If you say one word, I'll bleach your eyebrows in your sleep." Jongin threatens with piercing eyes.

"Alright, Romeo. Don't worry, I won't tell a soul." Sehun laughs buckling himself into the seat.

The two spent the car ride singing along to Kyungsoo's music and Jongin even played a couple of Luhan's songs since Sehun was kind enough to accompany him to the concert. He even caught Sehun mouthing the lyrics to a few of Kyungsoo's songs.

"Oh, since I'm your best friend and all, I decided to pick up some things at the music store after class yesterday afternoon." Sehun says taking out a plastic bag from beside him.

Inside the plastic bag was a banner with the words IT'S YOU #DKS, a cylindrical light stick that smoothly transitioned from blue to red, and lastly, Sehun held open a poster with a picture of Kyungsoo from his recent comeback.

"They sell those posters in the music store?!" Jongin exclaims, seconds from dying. "When I went, they said that the poster wouldn't come in for about another two weeks."

"Hey, I pre ordered this online about a month ago so relax." Sehun chuckled rolling up the poster and tossing it in the backseat.

Jongin gave Sehun a weird look and shook his head instead. He didn't even want to wonder why his best friend had that poster because the concert hall parking lot was only a couple meters away and his heart would not stop racing.

After he parked, Jongin took a couple seconds to even out his breathing and then he began to assault his best friend's bicep.

"Sehun! We're actually here at the concert!" Jongin squeals. "We're going to see the Do Kyungsoo live!"

Sehun threw his hands up in defense to shield himself. "Can you relax a bit?! Geez Jongin, I don't think you're mentally ready to go in there!" Jongin calms himself down and sinks down into his seat.

"Oh Sehun, I don't think you understand. We get to meet Kyungsoo backstage after the concert. We can hug him, shake his hand, and breathe the same air!"

Before Jongin broke out into another fit, Sehun held Jongin's wrists together. "Can we just go, Jongin? I refuse to gain anymore bruises from you."

The two retrieved their concert necessities from the backseat and made their way to the upper level to enter the concert hall. Jongin's palms started to sweat and there was absolutely no way to stop his uncontrollable heart beat.


 

>>


 

"Wait a minute for me baby~!"

The fans all over the concert hall sang along, not missing one syllable of the fan chant, and slowly waving their light stick back and forth. The fans screamed at the sight of Kyungsoo walking closer to the edge of the stage but nothing could drown out the angelic voice of his.

"Tell me what is love~!"

Kyungsoo held the last note and the fans only cheered louder. Jongin waved his light stick around yelling at the top of his lungs. He peered over and noticed Sehun also cheering on Kyungsoo by holding up the banner he bought.

Kyungsoo bowed 90 degrees towards his fans and screams turned into a different chant; "We love you, Do Kyungsoo!" The idol looked out and scanned the blue and red ocean his fans created for him and blew kisses in each direction.

"My fans-" His voice echoed throughout the whole concert hall and his fans began to scream his name once more. "My dearest Heartbeats, no words can describe how thankful I am to see each and everyone of you here."

Jongin looked at his idol like he was his whole world. It was Kyungsoo and his music that helped him get through the last bit of high school and only influenced him to do even better in college. He held up his banner and shouted "I love you" repeatedly.

"Now, you all know why you are called Heartbeat right?"

The fans cheer.

"Without my Heartbeat, I am not alive. You're all my reason for singing and I don't know what I would do without your endless love and support."

Jongin's eyes started to well up with tears and Sehun rubbed his best friend's lower back. Jongin always thought that Kyungsoo was the king of fan service. Kyungsoo always thanked his fans no matter where he was or what type of interview he was doing. He tries to sign as much autographs as possible at airports and will always try to reach out and touch his fans' hands.

"You all probably went through a lot of get here and to spend a lot of money on seeing a regular guy sing. But it is now the final song of my concert and I wish that you all will get home safely. I will be waiting backstage for the few who was able to obtain the v.i.p passes. For my Heartbeats, I hope you enjoy my final song, For You. Thank you, I love you!"

The soothing sound of a piano ballad washed over the concert hall and while the fans waved their lights sticks and started the fan chant, Jongin bursted into tears. His favorite idol had done so much for him and for everyone that it was him who needed to say thank you repeatedly, not Kyungsoo.

Sehun soothed Jongin by rubbing his back while he collected himself and sang along with Kyungsoo. His heart was filled with so much love for Kyungsoo and the thought of meeting him personally only made Jongin sing louder and with more feeling.

Thank you, Kyungsoo.


 

>>


 

"I don't think you're ready, Jongin. You look like a mess." Sehun sighs whilst looking at Jongin up and down. Jongin was biting his finger nails and bounced up and down on his toes. "And quit biting your nails, you wouldn't want to graze Kyungsoo's hands with saliva coated finger tips now would you?" Jongin felt his heart drop a couple beats and immediately pried his hand away from his teeth.

Dammit, get it together Jongin. Try to look as calm as the other v.i.p fans. He looked over to the other four fans who obtained the v.i.p passes. They were talking amongst themselves occasionally squealing from time to time but rarely showed the type of nervousness Jongin displayed.

The door finally opened and Kyungsoo came out in a plain black sweater and black jeans to match. He greeted his fans at the door with a warm welcome and his heart shaped smile. "Please come in." He smiles and Jongin couldn't tell if he was still alive or not.

Kyungsoo led his fans into his dressing room and gestured them to have a seat. "The v.i.p passes are difficult to obtain, so thank you so much for your hard work." He smiles once more and offered them snacks that were laid out on the table in front of them.

"You're really awesome." One of the fans says before covering his face. Jongin watches as he smiles at him and laughs.

"Thank you, so much. This is my first time actually having a real talk with my fans. Are you all okay? Is my room too cold?" Kyungsoo quickly stood up to reach for the remote control for the AC. His fans repeatedly assured him that they were fine and the idol sat back down, smiling in embarrassment.

All seven of them had a long conversation about school, Kyungsoo's daily schedule, and different kinds of food. Jongin could not stop smiling throughout the whole time they were all talking but Kyungsoo's manager came in and told them it was time to sign autographs and take pictures because Kyungsoo had to leave.

"I'm sorry, I wish I had more time to talk with you all. Our food conversation has got to be the best conversation I've had in a while." He says taking one of the girl's albums. "Your name?"

"Jang Rae Na." She giggles and hides her smile behind one hand.

Jongin stood behind another girl whom he had a small conversation with, talking about how none of this felt real to either of them.

"Hello, Kyungsoo. It's such a pleasure meeting you, my best friend back there is crazy obsessed with you." Sehun laughs sliding the poster towards Kyungsoo. Sehun stealthily points toward Jongin who was still having a giggle fit with the female behind him. Kyungsoo looks over and laughs, removing the marker cap.

Before Kyungsoo signed the poster, Sehun bent over and whispered something to Kyungsoo who understood the message and blocked his handwriting with one hand and rolled up the poster as soon as he was finished. "Oh, but could you sign my banner? Oh Sehun."

Kyungsoo nodded and signed the banner along with an encouraging message. The two took a full body picture with his manager wielding Sehun's phone and they also took a quick picture with the front camera facing them two. He thanked the singer and took his poster and banner and waited on the side for his best friend.

"Kyungsoo!" The girl squeals. "I can't believe I'm actually meeting you right now!" She passed him her poster and her phone case.

"It's an honor meeting you too..." He looks up waiting for her name.

"Im Dae In." She says and Kyungsoo smiles and signs both objects.

"Have you ever thought about being in a relationship Kyungsoo? I mean, you wrote your second single "My Dear, My Love" right? The lyrics are so beautiful, you must have had to be inspired my someone!" She squeals again while Kyungsoo writes a message on her poster.

The question caught Jongin's attention as he peered over her bouncing shoulder. He could see the idol's cheeks turn pink before he could hide it behind his hands. Jongin also blushed at the thought of being in a relationship but not with just anyone, with Kyungsoo.

Jongin has dedicated majority of his time to support Kyungsoo. He lived and breathed the idol's name and would want nothing more than spend a whole day with the singer. There was no doubt in Jongin's mind that he was in love with Kyungsoo. It was crazy to feel that way but there was no way he was the only one who had the same emotion.

"Well, I have thought about it. But who knows?" He chuckles and hands back her belongings. They quickly take two pictures and Jongin finally scooted forward to share the same air as his beloved.

"Oh my god." Jongin breathes. "Hello, Kyungsoo."

The singer reaches out to shake Jongin's shaky hand. "Hi, Jongin right?"

At that moment, Jongin swore every ounce of oxygen had left his body and he could melt into a puddle right then and there. "Y-yes." He barely whispers.

Kyungsoo's lips turned into a heart and his deep eyes formed into crescents as he stared at Jongin's red face.

"Sehun told me your name, thank you for being such a dedicated fan." He explains reaching for the poster in Jongin's hand.

"No, thank you Kyungsoo." Jongin finally says. "If it wasn't for your music and inspiring words, I probably wouldn't have graduated with the highest points in my high school class and my grades would probably be three letter grades lower right now. I really don't know where I would be without you. Your heart is so pure, anyone would be lucky to have you."

Jongin could feel his eyes starting to water but he forced himself to blink away the tears because he cried way too much during the concert and he definitely did not want Kyungsoo to see him cry.

Kyungsoo finished writing and as he rolled up the poster, he looked at Jongin softly and gave him a genuine smile.

"Thank you, Jongin. You really don't know how much that means to me. Thank you for supporting me throughout everything and including me in your busy life. I think if you and I were to switch places, I would be your number one fan because of how kind-hearted and selfless you are."

"Kyungsoo.." Jongin whispers with a crack in his voice. There was so much happiness in his heart, it felt almost impossible. Nothing could possibly take this kind of happiness away from him.

"Kyungsoo?"

Everyone in the room flickers their attention towards the door where a tall male was standing. He had a leather jacket on, a white v-neck shirt, and black ripped jeans. There was a guitar case slung over his shoulder and his hair was an odd color that kept changing as he shifted around in his spot.

"The back exit just got cleared off so whenever you're ready, we can leave." He explains adjusting the case around his shoulder. "Hello, Heartbeats. I want to stay and talk too but I have to take care of some equipment."

Jongin smiled at the mystery man but his smile slowly faded as he turned to face Kyungsoo.

He recognized the look on his face. The way his eyes sparkled without any bright light, the sweetest smile plastered on his face, and the small hues of red and pink on his cheeks. It was the same way every other Heartbeat looks at him and at that moment, Jongin's heart broke.

"You did great tonight, Soo." The man smiles and closed the door behind him.

Kyungsoo began to laugh a little and cleared his throat. "Sorry about that, just excuse him." Jongin used all the strength he had to smile at the idol who looked genuinely happy.

"Thank you, Jongin, for everything." Kyungsoo squeezed Jongin's hand as they both prepared themselves to take pictures.

The rest of the fans got their autographs and pictures and Kyungsoo even walked them out to the backstage exit.

"Once again, thank you so much. I hope we can all see each other again. Please be safe on your way home and sleep well." Kyungsoo bowed and gave each Heartbeat a long two-armed hug.

As Jongin wrapped his arms around the singer's shoulders, he closed his eyes and hid his face in the crook of his neck. He swore he could he hear Kyungsoo whisper "thank you" a thousand times but the slow pace beat of his heart was the only thing that filled his ears.


 

>>


 

Jongin and Sehun walked in silence towards Jongin's car. Jongin suddenly stopped abruptly and Sehun couldn't bear to look at his best friend's face.

Sehun was standing there the whole time, watching Jongin's happiness rise and drastically drop. He also knew the pain Jongin felt and he wished he knew what to say but no words came out. Instead, he placed his hand on his best friend's waist and offered to drive home like how Jongin said but Jongin shook his head.

"It's okay, Sehun. I'll drive, I'm okay."


 

Before Sehun left Jongin's car, he places the poster in the passenger seat. "Call me if you need to." He said before exiting the car and disappearing into his house.

Jongin enters his room in pure darkness but later turns on his desk lamp. The expression on his face was blank and drained but despite his feelings, he decides to read the message Kyungsoo left for him on his poster.

He opens his poster and reads in the words scribbled in black marker.

Jongin~

I am so honored to say that you're an inspiration to me. Your words were like medicine to me and if there was any way to put the words you said into an audio file, I would listen to it on the days where I'm not feeling well. You're doing so well in school, keep it up!

Love,

Do Kyungsoo

Jongin smiles at the message and could feel his heart tensing up and the burning sensation in his eyes returned. He shook his head and lets out a heavy breath. He then picks up the poster Sehun left him. Why did Sehun leave this with me?

As he unraveled the poster, he saw a long message with the same black ink and thousands of hearts scribbled around the message.

To my dearest Kim Jongin,

Such a beautiful name.

Sehun tells me that you're a really huge fan and I'm flattered. You stay up late at night even on the night before your finals to watch my live broadcasts, you always try to stay up to date with all of my merchandise and everything, I'm impressed! You're really something else, Jongin ^^~ Thank you for loving and supporting me with all your heart and soul but always remember to take care of yourself too. I go up on stage and sing songs while you risk your sleep and health to listen to me. You're a beautiful person, Jongin. Let's meet during another event okay? Promise? You promised so you can't go back on your word. Thank you and I love you.

Love Love Love Love Love ALWAYS,

Do Kyungsoo

Jongin didn't realize he was crying until he touched his damp cheek. He placed the poster on the side to avoid staining it with his tears. He covered his face and cried into his palms, attempting to mute the desperate and loud sobs.

He wasn't hurt because of the messages Kyungsoo left him, he wasn't hurt because of the look on Kyungsoo's face, but he was hurt because of the reality that slapped him in his face.

He's an idol and I'm just a fan.

Kyungsoo was a real and genuine person towards anybody. He didn't put up a facade and sugar coat the words he would speak because of his pure heart. But the "I love you" that was written didn't have the same meaning as what Jongin hoped for.

Jongin loved Kyungsoo. He would climb the tallest mountain to shout it out if he could but the kind of love Kyungsoo had for Jongin was a idol-to-fan love. Jongin was facing the saddest of them all, unrequited love. There was no way Kyungsoo could feel the same for Jongin even if the stars aligned and if Jongin wished on every one of those stars, it will always be an unrequited love.

Kyungsoo was a star that Jongin finally reached but soon fell out of his grasp. Kyungsoo had someone who could be by his side, carry his equipment, and provide him with sweet words of encouragement no matter where he went.

Jongin couldn't do that for him.

He wiped the last of tears away and changed into his sleeping attire. He cleaned off his bed and stuffed ear buds to listen to one last song before he fell asleep.

My Dear, My Love

He listened carefully to the lyrics and let the emotions seep deep into his veins. Even if Jongin's heart was broken, that didn't stop him from supporting the idol whom he loved. He loved Kyungsoo for his sincere and loving spirit, he was kind to everyone and he deserved the world. He deserved to love and to be loved by someone who could give him just that.

Jongin was merely just a fan who had to love his idol from the sidelines. The only things he could offer were his support, gratitude, love, and sacrifice. He shut his eyes, dampening his light blue pillow case.

He looked so happy.

And he knew he had to be happy too even if it meant standing by, waving around a light stick, heart broken by the reality of an unrequited love between an idol and a fan.

 

 

A/N: Aloha beauties! This was something I put together during the stress of college .--. And I apologize for the first part, I tried editing it but the fonts and everything won't change so please bear with it T___T Anyways, did you guise guess who the mystery man was? If you guessed Park Chanyeol, then you're CORRECT :D Hehe, thank you all for reading my stories even if I don't update often. Y'all are the best! /hearteu eyes/