Melody

Melody

“Kai. “ Kyungsoo wrote the name on a napkin.

 

“K-a-i.” The boy smiled. “It’s beautiful.”

 

“It’s normal.” The boy sitting opposite to Kyungsoo said. He took the napkin and wiped his mouth.

 

“I like your name. It sounds like a melody.” Kyungsoo grinned and took a sip of his green tea. It was still too hot. It was standing right next to his assignments for university. If he spilled it, all his work would be gone.

 

 

 

Kai put both his hands on the cool surface of the table, while staring at Kyungsoo.

 

“You haven’t told me your name yet.” He whispered. His voice husky.

 

 

 

“Do Kyungsoo.” The boy smiled, his lips creating a heart shape, and took another sip of his tea without burning his tongue this time.

 

“Kyungsoo…” Kai leaned back in his chair. Kyungsoo nodded and started to hum a melody, while he filled out the empty lines on his worksheet.

 

 

 

 

“So…why am I honoured with your presence?” Kyungsoo suddenly asked, without even looking at the other.

 

“There was no more space in this coffee shop, so I decided to invade your privacy.”

 

Kyungsoo looked around: The shop was almost empty. There were just about 5 more university students sitting around, occupying three out of 20 tables.

 

“Right.” Kyungsoo turned back to his work and smirked, but then he looked back at Kai and wrote down some things.

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing?” Kai wondered while he was trying to get a glimpse of the boy’s writing, but as soon as Kyungsoo noticed, he covered it with his beautiful hands.

 

“I’m writing down my dark thoughts about life.” He answered and Kai’s eyes widened.

 

“Nice, right?” Kyungsoo asked and smiled again. “And you? Are you gonna continue staring at me?”

 

Kai smirked. “Yes. Until my eyes fall out.”

 

 

 

Kyungsoo shrugged.

 

 

15 minutes passed in silence, when suddenly Kyungsoo’s phone started to ring.

 

“Hi?”

 

“Yeah, baby…I’m almost done.”

 

“I’ll cook for you tonight.”

 

“I’ll see you…”

 

Kai’s eyes widened, but Kyungsoo didn’t notice.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo started to pack his things. “Well…I gotta go. Thanks for accompanying me. My little baby brother is waiting. It was nice to meet you.”

 

And after Kyungsoo had paid, he took his bag and left the shop.

 

Kai’s eyes followed him. When they turned to the table again, Kai noticed a sheet of paper. On of the worksheets Kyungsoo had been working on.

 

Kai quickly got up and ran outside.

 

“Kyungsoo. You have forgotten something!” he shouted, but the other was gone.

 

 

 

Kai was disappointed, but then he turned the paper over to read it.

The assignment said:

“Outline the changes a decline of the younger population would make and explain A. Smith’s position.”

 

Underneath he could read a nice handwriting.

 

“You, who approached me

Silently

No sound

I didn’t expect

Your voice. Your smile.

Like warm sunrays on a cool spring day.

Your name – a melody:

K A I”

 

Kai stared at the handwritten text until his lips curled into a smile.