Part 2

One and Only

"Soonkyu-yaaahhh" Taeyeon popped out her head from behind the classroom door cutely.

"Hi" I replied shortly. I guessed she could notice my cold tone.

"You have many jobs again today?" She asked.

"Not really, just some stuffs from the soccer club. I'll call you if I need help. Bye"

Taeyeon once again stopped me from running away. I loved it every time she did that. But...

"I want to have a dinner after school tonight with you. It’s been a while since we went for dinner together"

I'd really love to, Taeyeon. But...

"I'm busy and I'm going to be tired after school. You can call Hyomin to accompany you" I quickly let go of Taeyeon's hand.

"Wait" Taeyeon held onto it so tightly. "Sunny, why are you avoiding me since the day I had a date with Tiffany? Did I do something wrong?"

"You did nothing, Taeyeon. I'm just getting busier. I need time. You can wait while playing around with your loyal fans"

"Sunny, I only want to be loyal with you!"

How I really wanted her to actually mean every sweet words she said to me.

"Yeah, yeah… Whatever. Say that to every fan you meet around" I waved her goodbye without looking back at her. 

I tried to limit any contact with Taeyeon at school since then. I still said hi to her when we bumped to each other on the school aisles, but that was all I did. She tried to talk with me like usual and throw her jokes at me, but I always brushed it off and ended up leaving her alone. 

"So..." Hyomin spoke up right after I arrived in the student body's office. "You start to ignore her now?"

"Ignore who?"

"The idolized girl, of course"

"I'm not ignoring her. I just want to act casually. She's got a girlfriend now, so I can't be around her too often"

Hyomin sighed. She put down her pencil and then stared seriously at me.

"Why do you have to lie to your own feeling, Sunny?"

I stopped putting the papers inside the cupboard upon hearing the question. 

"I never lie to my own feeling"

"Yeah you can even lie to yourself but not to me" 

"What exactly do you want to say to me, Hyomin!?" I slammed the papers I was holding onto the desk. 

"I want to ask why you have to hide your own feeling to Taeyeon, Sunny!? Why don't you just admit you love that idiot!? I know it, Sunny! You're jealous of Tiffany! You were actually jealous along the day they were having their first date! You love Taeyeon, but you try to suppress your own feeling, using the student body as your excuse!"

My body turned cold from head to toe after hearing Hyomin's exact guess. I gulped as I waited for words to come out from my mouth, but in the end I could not speak anything. Hyomin's words were stabbed too precisely into my heart. I could not stand faking it anymore. Tears started running down on my cheeks; I began sobbing in front of my secretary. I could feel Hyomin's warm arms pulling me to her shoulder. I cried even harder. 

"You can tell everything to me, Sunny"

"I..." The words I had been waiting to come out finally came out. "I love her. I love her more than any of her fangirls can do. I want her to only look at me. I want her to stop flirting with all those girls. But… but I'm afraid she'll only look at me… in the same way she looks at those girls…. I've never been special in her eyes.."

"I know… I know" My slightly-taller friend my brown, long hair gently.

I wanted to say more but nothing came out after that except my sobs. Hyomin waited patiently until I grew calmer, listening to every whine I made that day.

"She did not accept her, Sunny" She suddenly continued after my tears started fading away.

"W- What?" I opened my eyes wide.

"Taeyeon did not accept Tiffany as her girlfriend. She did not say yes"

"Why? But… Why? Didn't they..?"

"I don't know what exactly happened either. You should talk to Taeyeon yourself later. But that's what she told me"

"They…"

"Promise me, Sunny. You should start to be honest with your own feeling. Show Taeyeon that you love her. She might not realize it either since she thinks you may see her just as a friend. She doesn't realize the chance that is being given to her. You have to start it first"

I could only lean on the wall as I tried to understand what was actually happening while Hyomin continued to stare at my blank face. If I started being honest with Taeyeon, would she ever change? Would our friendship end? What would happen?

It was a few days later when I saw Tiffany sitting on the school park's bench, alone. I smiled and decided to sit next to her. She noticed my presence there and smiled weakly.

"Hi, Sunny sunbaenim" She said in a low voice.

"Hi, what's up? You look so sad"

"Sunbaenim…" The usually-cheerful girl let out a deep breath. "I didn't make it with Taeyeon sunbaenim…"

I gulped a bit when I heard that. "I actually know about it. I'm really sorry, Tiffany. I've failed to help you"

"Noo… It's not your fault, Sunny sunbaenim! You've been really helpful! It's just that... I think I'm not the one Taeyeon-ssi loves. I think she has another person in her heart"

"How do you know that?"

The girl in front of me set a sad smile as she recalled the moments. "I can feel it, sunbaenim. When I was walking with her, I could sense that she was always thinking of someone else"

"But didn't she..." I prepared my heart before I asked. "Didn't she kiss you... in... the cinema?"

"Yeah, she did, on the cheek"

I almost could not believe my ears. 

"On the cheek?" I reassured.

"Yes, not on the lips although I had hoped for that, sunbaenim. Hahaha" Tiffany let out a giggle. She then looked up at the blue sky above us. "But I'd better not be with her rather than be with her only to know she doesn't really love me. I hope Taeyeon-ssi will find the one she really loves soon, Sunny sunbaenim"

The door bell rang and I was on my way back to the classroom when I saw Taeyeon talking to some chicks in front of her class – yeah, those stupid fangirls. With no more hesitation I grabbed her hand to pull her away from the crowd.

"I need to talk to you" I said.

"After ignoring me for a long time you finally spoke to me!" She pretended to cry. "I'm so happy, Soonkyu!"

"Why are you talking to those girls when it's class time already?" 

"Why are you suddenly asking me such a question?" Taeyeon grinned widely. "Aha… I know, you're jealous, right?"

"…Yes I am" I finally showed my honesty.

She probably did not expect that kind of reply; she was speechless hearing my honest confession. I did not care anymore, I just wanted to show my feelings. We both turned awkward though.

"Well, yeah…" Taeyeon used her finger to rub her nose. "I know it's against the school rules. Sorry, leader Sunny. I won't do it again"

She scratched her head nervously and then slowly stepped back into her class. I suddenly regretted a bit. This was what I had been afraid of if I started to be honest to Taeyeon. Our friendship would be awkward. We could not be like what we had been so far anymore. Our friendship would be ruined. She would stay further from me.

I did not realize I had dropped a tear again. I quickly wiped it away and walked to my own class. Maybe things should have just stayed the way it had been.

I walked home from school that day just to find another cute chocolate in the same cake store I came across one month ago on the night before Valentine. I unconsciously stared long enough at the store’s displays. It had been one month since Valentine and they were still selling chocolates? I was still confused until I noticed a sign on the store's wall.

"Get your cute chocolates for White Day! Show your love for your loved ones!"

I just remembered that the day after that was March 14, which was, White Day. White Day was supposed to be the day where the ones we loved returned sweets for us. Would Taeyeon return a chocolate for me? She would probably return a chocolate for every single girl who gave her one on Valentine last month. I was not an exception from those girls. I sighed hopelessly as I continued my way home. 

"Kim Taeeyon was sooo nice! The chocolate she gave us is soo cute! I really like her! And the way she smirked when she gave those... Aaah! She's so cool!"

Just as what I had expected, there was almost no girls I passed by who did not mention her name that day. Taeyeon was sweet. Taeyeon was a gentleman (Yes, they said that! Even though Taeyeon had the same as them!). Taeyeon was cute. Taeyeon was blah... blah… blah….

I came back to my class to see my own desk full of chocolates given by the boys who admired me in the school. I gave all of them the chocolates and not only one or two boys, but it looked like each of them thought he was the only one I loved and then gave all these special chocolates in return. Silly boys.

I put those chocolates inside my bag. I would give all of them to my sisters and brothers later. I had no mood to eat any of them. When I was putting those chocolates inside my bag, suddenly my eyes caught unfamiliar stuffs. I took a more attentive look and found out the one object was a beautiful rose wrapped up with a pink wrapping paper, and the other one was a letter with a pink envelope. Pink was my favorite color. I opened the letter right away.


Dear my only one,

Come to the school's backyard behind the black fence today, right after the school bell rings. I have something to tell you.

Sincerely,
Your only one.


I read it one more time more carefully and realized that I had seen this handwriting before. Yeah, it was Taeyeon's handwriting. What was that girl thinking by giving this letter and rose? I was happy that she asked me to meet her, but... 

What if she only wanted to play around with me? What if she also actually did the same to any other girls out there? Should I come to meet her? What if this was only one of her ways to flirt around? What if she actually called everyone her "only one"?

I put the letter back into the envelope and threw it back to the bag. I tried my best to forget about the letter, but I could not. Along the lessons throughout the day, I kept thinking about what would happen this afternoon. I kept thinking about Taeyeon. I wanted to meet her. I missed her.

The awaited school bell finally rang and I was shocked to death. I was not usually shocked by it; maybe the fact that I was waiting for it to ring shocked me the most. I looked at the clock. It was 3 PM - indeed the time for us to go home. I looked at my bag where I had put her letter and rose. 

Should I come? Would she really be waiting for me? Was she serious about this?

Not knowing where I was heading to, I unconsciously stepped my feet to the school's backyard. When I arrived there, I was not brave to look for Taeyeon's presence. I did not know what I was feeling. I was afraid she might not be there,that she was just only joking around with this, that I was only being a fool again.

I could only wait with my head hung low. After a while I decided to make my way out of the area. I was losing hope when I finally heard that voice.

"Soonkyu!"

I did not turn around; I was afraid that it might not be her voice. However, after she called my name once again, I was sure it was hers.

"Soonkyu-yah" I could sense her smile even though I had not turned around to see her yet. "You come. I thought you wouldn't come"

"What is it" I pretended to turn my body in a lazy manner and to sound as ignorant as I could.

"Sunny…" Taeyeon spoke with heavy breaths. I could sense her nervousness. "I... want to say something to you"

I froze, waiting until she continued. I was very nervous myself.

"I'm in love with you, Sunny" 

The moment she said those words out, the butterflies inside my stomach fluttered.

"Yeah, you're always in love with every girl you spread your charm on" I mocked.

Taeyeon shook her head. She shook and shook so hard that I was scared her head would fall off from her neck. 

"I am seriously in love with you" Taeyeon continued, emphasizing on each words she said. "My feeling for you is a completely different thing from what I do for those fans. I'm not kidding around, Sunny. I love you"

I started crying after I heard her words. I was relieved. 

"But…" I managed to open my mouth even though I was crying. "But I thought you only looked at me like a friend. I thought I was not special for you, because you always flirted with another girls"

Taeyeon then touched my cheek and wiped away my tears with her thumbs. She looked deeply into my eyes with warmth and love.

"Do you know?" She went on. "Even though I always spread my charms around those fans, even though they always follow me around and surround me, I never let any of them touch my cheeks"

I was speechless.

"I don't know if you know about this, but I always tell them that only Sunny can touch my cheeks" I dared myself to face her again and found her sincere expression. "And do you know? Among those girls who follow me around every day, none of them knows that my favorite color is blue? And no one even knows I love peas?"

I giggled a bit hearing her confession. I buried my head on Taeyeon's chest. Taeyeon gladly accepted me in her embrace. 

"I have fallen for you ever since we knew each other in this school, Sunny. Starting that day, I have always tried to catch your attention. But you're almost always busy with the student body stuffs, and you always ignore me too. That's why… along these three years I tried to flirt around, in a hope that I could finally have your attention. Those fans responded to me too in return, so I just continued with a hope that you would notice someday"

"You..." I looked at her in disbelief. "You've been waiting for me?"

She nodded to me. "I didn't even say yes to Tiffany, because I can't love her. When I was walking with her that day, I kept thinking about you, Sunny. That was my last effort to steal your heart. I'm sorry if I have always made you think I treat you the same like the others. Today I want you to know that you're always special in my eyes"

I bit my lips, getting embarrassed by her blunt confessions. "Look at what you've done to me, Miss Flirtatious Kim Taeyeon"

She laughed at the new nickname I gave her.

"So..." She asked in hesitation. "I have been honest with you. Now I have the right to know your feelings"

I grinned at her. "Is it enough if I only answer with… ‘I love you more than any of your fangirls in this world can do’?"

My statement made her blush. Her lips turned up upon my answer. "That's much more than enough"

I chuckled before laughing along with her. Then, like it was something natural, my eyes caught hers and we stared at each other for a while. As if I was being hypnotized, I did not even bother her locking her gaze with me for that long. Slowly, she leaned her body closer and kissed me on the lips. It was a short kiss but a warm, gentle one.

"You're my one and only, Sunny" She whispered.

* * *

The next couple of days, I was quite surprised to see the girl who had requested for a date with Taeyeon. She was standing in front of my class right after the first break time bell rang. Her face was blushing and she was looking at me in hesitation.

"Hi, Tiff!" I greeted with a happy face. "Anything I can help you now?"

"Y-Yes, sunbaenim. Actually…" Tiffany bit her lips. "I want to ask your help for arranging a date for me… again”

I widened my eyes. "Again!? Who is it this time?”

"It... It's…" The younger girl scratched her head. "It's one of the popular hot girls in my class. Her name is… Yuri"

I laughed a bit after hearing her innocent request once again. I put my arm on her shoulder and pulled her to follow me.

"Okay then, let's meet that girl"

We were heading downstairs when suddenly someone called.

"Hi, the busy cutie leader Sunny. You're off to somewhere?"

I rolled up my eyes and found Taeyeon behind me. I gave my loveliest smile to my girlfriend, winked at her and then continued walking down the stairs. I would never mind if you wanted to flirt with me forever from now on, Kim Taeyeon. You're my one and only, too.


This one-shot was written based on a comic. Also, if any of you is wondering, I have posted this story in Soshified a long time ago. So yeah, I am the same person as that author :p

Anyway, thank you for reading!