Part I

One and Only

"Miss Sunny, can I trust you to do this?"

"Miss Sunny, can you please help me to sign all these papers?"

"Sunny sunbaenim! There's someone downstairs who needs information about the school!"

Slowly, with a confident and comforting smile, I turned from my rolling chair in the office to look at them. I saw them one by one. Three people came at the same time to ask for my help. Well, it was not strange anymore for me. I handled these kinds of thing almost everyday. I had been used to it.

"Mister Kang, just transfer the data to my computer and I'll do it soon. Mister Yang, you can put the papers on my desk and I'll sign them after this. And for Hyunah, don't worry, babe. I'll come downstairs. Just ask the girl to wait for a while"


"Thank you, Sunny! Thank you so much! I can't imagine if you're not the head of the school's student body! I know you can handle this!" Mr. Kang continuously muttered 'thank you' along his way to the computer and showed his grateful expression. I just smiled and bowed to him.

I turned to see Mr.Yang who started to pile up the papers on the other desk and made sure he did not drop any of them. Lastly, I walked to the girl who was still standing in front of the door – Hyunah.

"C'mon let's go downstairs" I flashed my eye-smile to her and it seemed to have stunned her.

We both walked down the stairs as I felt all eyes around the school were fixed on me. I was literally a star in the school. I did not know how I looked like in the eyes of the other students, but I knew I had helped them a lot. I was the head of the school's student body organization. I had gained the position for a few months and all the teachers and staffs were really satisfied of my work. I admitted that I worked very well, but had I not been helped by that girl, I would have never been able to do all these things. Yeah, that popular girl...

Hyunah and I arrived at the first floor. We walked out of the building and headed toward the school's garden. 

"She's there, Sunny sunbaenim" Hyunah whispered to me as she was pointing to the corner of the building. 

I saw a girl with a pink t-shirt staring at the school board. "Alright, you can go back to your class, Hyunah. Let me handle this"

"Y-Yes… Thank you, sunbaenim" Hyunah replied. She bowed to me and permitted herself slowly.

I tidied up my uniform before I approached that girl. She had noticed my presence even before I greeted her first. She bowed and flashed her eye-smile to me. Wow, so this girl had an eye-smile too.

"Anyeonghaseyo. My name is Tiffany. I kindly ask for your help to introduce me about this school"

"Hello. I'm Sunny. I'm the leader of the school's student body. Don't worry, I'm glad I can help you. Are you new here?"

"Yes, I am. My class will start tomorrow. So I'd like to know this school first before I start learning here"

"Very well. I'll take you to a small tour around this school. It's pretty big here. Shall we begin now?"

"Oh, yes, of course. Thanks!" Her face brightened up as her eyes turned crescent-like again.

I asked her to follow me and we began taking a walk around the school. I introduced her to the important rooms first: the principal's room, teachers' room, administration room and other necessary rooms she needed to know. After finishing the important introduction, I brought her to the library.

Tiffany looked at her surrounding as the students inside the library started whispering to each others once we were inside.

"It seems like you're quite popular here" She said.

I just shrugged it off. "I'm not popular. I'm just someone who's willing to help them. I'm glad they know that I help them much"

"You're really a humble person, you know" She continued.

We then moved on to the school cafeteria after finishing the library tour. She looked interested with all the foods there. Finally, I brought her to one of the most important place in the school. Well, it might not be important for the teachers, but it was very important for the students - especially the boys.

It was the school's sport center, where there were large basketball and soccer courts with an additional badminton outdoor court. When I took a look at her again, she was moving her eyes all around the area in awe.

"Like it?" I asked to her.

"Yeah! It was not this big in my previous school!"


"I think these are all the places I could show you. If you have any more questions, I'd like to help you, Tiffany" This time, I flashed my eye-smile to her.

"No, it's really enough! More than enough!" She responded. "You know, I'm really glad you're the one who introduced me to this school. You've helped me a lot even from the first day I'm here. You're really great"

"Nah, don't praise me too much. I'm just doing my job as the head of..." I was about to humble myself again before someone stopped me with a shout.

"Yaaahhh… Lee Soonkyuuu!!" 

Hearing that voice call my real name, I immediately turned my head to see who it was. I did not know whether to be angry or happy; angry because she called my real name in front of so many people and happy because it was her who called me.

"Yah! How many times do I have to tell you!? Don’t call me with that name!" I shouted at her. Even though I was not that angry, I pretended to act like I was.


She walked to where we were standing with a wide grin on her face. I loved that naughty grin so much even though I always acted like I hated it. She was Taeyeon - Kim Taeyeon, the vice leader of the student body. She was basically my assistant, but I regarded her more like a partner rather than just a subordinate. We had worked together for almost a year by then. 

"And how many times do I have to tell you that your real name sounds so cute?" Taeyeon chuckled.

I pouted and folded my arms in front of her. There she went again - calling me cute and trying to flirt with me. It was not that I did not like it, it was just that...

"Oh, are you a new student here? You look stunning with that pink t-shirt, girl" Taeyeon turned to Tiffany. "Hello, my name is Taeyeon, Sunny's faithful helper. Glad to meet you"

"Oh, hi, Taeyeon. I'm Tiffany!" Tiffany gladly greeted back as I spotted a nervous breath in between her breaths. "But, how do you know I'm a new student here?"

I saw that partner of mine made a dorky smile. "There's no one permitted to wear other clothes except the uniform, except if it's someone new.."

"Oh, wow, you're so attentive!" Tiffany giggled.

"I'm always attentive to cute girls" Taeyeon bit her lips, making Tiffany blush a bit.

See? It was not that I did not like Taeyeon flirting with me. It was just that she did that almost to everyone, particularly to every girl in this school who admired her. 
 

"There, there… She goes again…" I mumbled annoyingly in front of the other two.

"Why? Am I wrong? Aaaww... You're just being jealous aren't you, Sunny?" Taeyeon suddenly poked my cheek with her point finger.

I immediately threw away her hand from my face. "Who's being jealous!? I'm just reminding you, Kim Taeyeon. You can't always do that to every girl"

The vice president let out a small laughter while the new girl laughed over our short bickers.


"I'm sorry, Tiffany. She's always like that. Don't mind her, okay"

"Oh, no, that's completely okay! Don't worry" Tiffany suddenly looked at her watch. "Oh, I'm sorry. I have to go now because I have an appointment with my mom. I'll come back for my first day of studying tomorrow"

"Alright, then. I'll see you around, Tiffany"

"See you around, cutie" Taeyeon naughtily, again.

Tiffany gave her eye-smile, for one last time. This time it was meant for Taeyeon. She then turned her back and walked away from the building, half running. I soon faced Taeyeon and slapped her shoulder.


"Stop your annoying attitude in front of girls, Taeyeon. You're representing this school"

She winced a bit after I punched her. "But no one ever complains about my attitude! They all like it!"

Giving up, I started leaving the building in silence and could sense Taeyeon tailing me. That stupid, adorable Kim was indeed popular in the school; not only because she loved to spread her charm around, but also because she was really talented and charismatic. Being my assistant did not stop her from getting a good reputation in basketball. Despite her short body, she once gained the MVP title in the school. No one could ever describe the beauty of her charisma eyes when she was dribbling that ball around the court.

"No matter what, stop doing that, okay. I'm just afraid about your reputation"

"Okay, cutie Sunny, okaay" Taeyeon showed me the OK sign. "By the way, do you have a lot of work to do?"

"Yes, I do. I have to go back to the office right now. See you around, Taeyeon" 

"Wait" Taeyeon suddenly grabbed my hand tightly, forcing me to face her again. "Don't overwork yourself, okay"

"I never do that"

"You always say that but you always end up overworking yourself!"

"I don't need your reminder. I know my limit" I broke loose her grip from my wrist. I was about to go away when I saw her frowning face.

"Soonkyu scolded me again..." She muttered with a puppy voice.

I sighed. I did not mean to scold her, but I always ended up doing it and when she whined in front of me like this, I could not stand it. She was too... How should I call it? Cute?

I put my hands on Taeyeon's cheeks and rubbed it a bit. "Thank you for the reminder, Taeyeon. I won't overwork myself, I promise. Now let me work, will ya?"

Taeyeon just smiled when she felt my hand landing on her cheeks. "Okay. Let me know if you need my help, Soonkyu"

I smiled too at her, pulled my palms off her cheeks, and walked away once again. I became busy once I was back to the student's body office. I signed all the papers Mr.Yang gave me. I finished the entire necessary document I needed to give to Mr.Kang. Once I was done, I checked the time and it was 6:00 PM already. I really forgot about time when I did my job.

I took my bag and stepped out of the school area. The sounds of crickets and frogs started to come out along the streets on my way home. When I passed by a cake shop on one of the streets, I saw cute chocolates on the display.

Oh, yeah, I just remembered. Two days from that day was Valentine. I did not usually buy chocolates for many people except for my family and best friends. But that day I found a very special cute chocolate - the one with a cute smiling pea face on it. Taeyeon loved peas. Unconsciously, I entered the shop and ended up buying it for the girl in my mind.

I came to the school earlier that morning to look for Taeyeon. She always came a bit earlier than the others so it was my only chance before those annoying fangirls of her arrived. I wrapped up the chocolate with a blue wrapping paper - Taeyeon's favorite color. I walked silently to her class, but I was disappointed with what I saw.

The classroom was already full of people. It seemed like they came earlier that day so that they had time to exchange chocolates in the morning. I moved my head here and there and it was not hard to spot Taeyeon because she was sitting; she was in the middle of the class, being the center of attention.


She was surrounded by those girls; her hands were busy accepting all kinds of sweets from them. As usual, she spread her charming smile and charismatic eyes toward almost everyone there. One girl gave her a big, long chocolate with a cute wrapping paper. One other gave her a small but luxurious box of candies, which looked really expensive. I bit my lips a bit and stepped back as a strange feeling crept into my heart.

It was a familiar scene for me to see. Wasn't Taeyeon almost always surrounded by those fans? Didn't she almost always spread her charm everyday to everyone? Why did it feel so different for some reasons that day? Why did I feel a pain in my heart? 

"Sunny!" I was stopped from my thought when Taeyeon shocked me with her shout. She was waving at me from her seat.

I hid my darkened expression and soon waved back at her. She soon stood up and permitted herself from those fans.

"Where is my chocolaaate? I know you bring one for me right?" She smiled brightly. "Ah, that one in your hand must be for me, mustn’t it? May I get it now?"

"Yes, it's for you. Take it. I have lots of work to do. See you later" I pretended to look and sound ignorant as much as I could and harshly threw my gift to her.

She fixed her gaze at the blue box, holding it tightly like it was her life. She suddenly back-hugged me before I could escape from her. 

"Thank you" I could hear her soft whisper. "You don't know how much this means for me. I love it"

"Yeah, yeah… I know. Every chocolate they give you is also precious, because you love sweets very much" I pushed away her arms from my waist.

"Thank you, Sunny"

I waited a bit before I said 'you're welcome'. I walked away with the same unfamiliar feeling once more. I did the same thing last year but why... Why did I feel a pain today? 

It was the day after, during the second break time, when I met Tiffany again at the school cafeteria. She was buying lunch with some other girls. I smiled to her when she noticed my presence.

"Ah, Sunny sunbaenim!" Tiffany bowed to me politely.

"No need to call me sunbaenim, just call me Sunny" 

"But that's how the other juniors call you here. All of my friends admire you so much. I also admire you a lot!"

"Thank you, but I'm actually not worth the good talks. I'm nothing without my colleagues in the student body, including Taeyeon..." I did not know why I suddenly mentioned that name.

"Ah, Taeyeon sunbaenim.." Tiffany said as she recognized the name. "Speaking of her, is she around today?"

"Yes, of course. She'll always be around if it's still school days" I replied. "Why?"

"No, sunbaenim. It's just.." She suddenly giggled and blushed a bit. "I think Taeyeon sunbaenim is really cool. I like her…"

"Well, yeah, she's very popular. A lot of girls like her. Everyday she's surrounded by her fans…" 

"Yeah, I know. I've been seeing her in these two days and everywhere, it’s the same; she is followed by a lot of girls and she seems to be attentive to them”

"That's true"

"S-Sunny sunbaenim. I… I actually have a request for you"

"What is that? I'd like to help anything I can help"

"But I don't know… if it's a polite request… or not…. I feel like I'm rude if I ask for this"

"Don't worry, just tell me. What is it? I will help you as the representative of the student body"

"Really?"

"Yeah"

"S-Sunbaenim…. I… I think I fall in love with Taeyeon sunbaenim. It's not just a mere fans-to-idol feeling like the others. I really like her. Sunny sunbaenim, i-if you don't mind, can you please… arrange a date for me and her?"

My heart dropped when I heard her confession. Two days!? In just two days she had fallen in love with... with Taeyeon!? She was not in a mere level of fangirling like the others, but was falling in love already?

"Sunbaenim…. Is it okay?" Her question snapped me back to reality. 

I soon pretended to look fine in front of her. Without knowing what I was actually feeling at that time, I answered. "Of course it's okay. I'll talk to her so that I can make you guys meet each other and hang out together somewhere"

The new student turned excited soon after I finished my statement. "Really!? Thank you! Thank you so much sunbaenim! You're really the best! No wonder all people here admire you so much! Thank you so much!"

I forced my lips to turn up. "You're welcome, Tiffany. I said it already that I'd do anything to help the students here”

"Thank you! Thank you once again sunbaenim!" Tiffany kept bowing to me in happiness.

I then asked for Tiffany's phone number so that I could contact her later after I talked with Taeyeon. That afternoon I called the idolized vice president to come to my room. She was a bit confused due to the sudden call.

"Do you need any of my help, madam Sunny?" Taeyeon asked.

"Yes, I do"

"Anything I can do for you, madam?" 

"Stop that annoying, gentleman-like voice, Taeyeon. You’re disturbing my work!" Suddenly Hyomin - the student body's secretary - shouted.

"I'm sorry madam Hyomin. I just want to show my faithfulness to madam Sunny" Taeyeon continued with her exaggerated boyish voice.

"Taeyeon, listen. I want you to do something for someone. It's not for me but I command you to do it"

"What is that?”

"You have to date someone”

"I’m sorry what?"

"Yes, I want you to hang out with Tiffany, the new girl"

"B-But…. Why? What is the reason? Why so sudden?"

"Well well…. You're getting more and more famous, vice president Kim Taeyeon" The secretary mocked.

I avoided Taeyeon’s gaze. "There's no reason. This is my order. You have to do it"

"Sunny, do you want this playgirl over here to date a girl!? Don't you feel sorry for that freshman? Poor her, Taeyeon's gonna break her heart..." Hyomin teased again.

"I don't want to know!" I half-shouted, feeling frustrated. "This is my order. Taeyeon has to do it, no matter what"

"Is it because you say so then she has to do so?" Hyomin laughed a bit.

"If she doesn't want to do it, then don't ever come here again. Where's her responsibility as the student's representative to help the students here?" I turned my back on them, facing the window.

"But helping the students here doesn't mean Taeyeon has to..." I noticed Hyomin not finishing her sentence when I suddenly felt Taeyeon's arms lingering my waist.

"Okay, okay. I'll do it. For you, I'll do anything, Sunny" She smoothly whispered. I could feel warmth radiating from her.

"T-Thank you..." I nervously answered and was about to continue when she took away her arms from me.

"Hooray! I'm going to date a girl for real! Yahooo!" That foolish colleague of mine suddenly ran around like crazy and then rushed out from the room.

I bit my lips, trying to hold the emotion inside. My chest pumped in and out because of this high-tensed feeling. I wished I could punch the window right then.

“WHY DOES THAT GIRL HAVE TO BE SO PLAYFUL!!?? WHAT DOES SHE ACTUALLY THINK!!!??” I mentally yelled.
 

* * *


On Sunday afternoon that same week, I finally brought Taeyeon to meet the girl. I had carefully prepared everything so that their date could go smoothly. I planned for them to meet at the town's park first, and then maybe brought them to the cinema. That would be perfect.

"Why can't we just go home and leave Taeyeon alone with that pinky girl?" Hyomin yawned as she followed me spying over Taeyeon.

"Hyomin, I can't let Taeyeon hurt that girl. Tiffany is new here and I want her to be satisfied of our service in the school. You know how bad Taeyeon can flirt, and I don't want it to happen during their date"

Hyomin groaned. "Okay, okay. But don't you think Tiffany will be angry if she knows we're spying on them?"

"Oh c’mon, Hyomin, that's why we should never let her notice! We're professional spies right? We've done this several times" 

Both of us hid behind a tree to watch Taeyeon meeting Tiffany at the park. The awaiting girl looked so shy but beautiful. She matched perfectly with ‘the idol’ who was wearing a white t-shirt covered with a black vest and a pair of dark jeans. A few minutes later I saw them exiting the park. Not expecting it to happen soon, in front of my eyes, I witnessed Taeyeon moving her arms to wrap Tiffany's waist. 

She just did that to me a few days ago and today she hugged another girl already. Taeyeon would never look at me differently. For her, I was just the same as any other girls she loved to flirt with. Unconsciously, I gripped my own jeans, not realizing we were getting left behind from the couple. I stood frozen there until Hyomin poked me.

"Didn't you say we should follow them? Then why are we still here?"

"O-Oh… Yeah, right. We should follow them"

It seemed like Taeyeon and Tiffany were going to have their lunch first in a café not far from there. In order to finish our mission, Hyomin and I had to order something since we were not allowed to sit there for free. I drank my soda as I kept my eyes on the couple, while the other spy was busy munching her sandwich. I spotted Taeyeon wiping Tiffany's face with a tissue, and a while later Tiffany did the same to Taeyeon. Not a long time after, I found Tiffany feeding a burger to her crush. The latter gladly accepted it with her big mouth.

"Sunny" I did not realize at first that Hyomin was calling me. "Sunny, Sunny-ah!"

"Uh? Y-Yes? Why?" I nervously replied.

"Why are you holding the soda cup so tightly? Look, you are almost breaking it now"

"Oh... Is it? Don't worry, maybe I was just too excited seeing them dating" I faked a smile, not letting Hyomin trace any form of lies in my answer.

After half an hour of waiting, finally the girls we spied on got up from their seats and headed out of the cafe. I almost pulled Hyomin who still had not finished her Coke in panic. 

"They're going! C'mon, Hyomin! Faster!"

The girl almost spilled out the liquid in . "Wait, okay! Wait!"

I opened the cafe's door without caring to close it again. I looked at my left and right, trying to spot our targets. Fortunately, their backs could still be seen at our right side. Without waiting for Hyomin, I climbed up the street to follow them again.

I figured out that they were going to watch at the cinema - perfectly just like what I had planned. However, I was a bit disappointed knowing that I would not be able to know what they were doing inside. It was impossible to spy on them inside the cinema room.

"They're going to watch 'The Vow'" Hyomin appeared beside me. "So how's it? Are we going to buy tickets too for the sake of their date?"

I just threw a comforting smile to my stalking partner. "No, Hyomin. It's okay. Maybe we should just wait here"

"What!? Wait here!?" She shouted, almost stealing the attention of the people around us. "What are we gonna do while we wait!? The movie is two freaking hours, Sunny!”


I sighed. "If you want to go home then just go, Hyomin. I'm sorry for involving you in this matter. I shouldn't have troubled you"

"You know that's not what I mean..." Hyomin chuckled. "Sunny-ah.."

"Yes?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you doing this for Taeyeon and Tiffany? Arranging a date for them? What are you thinking? Did Tiffany ask you to do this?"

"I…" I did not know what to explain. "I said already that I just wanted to give the best for the students in the school. It's all about the student body's reputation. I don’t want any bad comments going around about us-“


"For god sake, stop using the student body as an excuse" Hyomin cut me off. "I know it, Sunny. I've known you and Taeyeon for almost three years now. You had never done this kind of thing for the students before. We sure have to help the students' academic problems, but not their love life! Who they want to date and how are their own business, Sunny, not us!”

"I..." I was speechless; Hyomin’s statement completely brushed off my arguments. "I just want Taeyeon to stop.."

"Stop?"

I nodded. "I want her to stop flirting with girls. I want her to belong to just one person. It's better to see her have a committed relationship rather than to see her waste her time giving nonsense flirts"

Hyomin just continued listening to me. 

"And after knowing that Tiffany really loves her; something which cannot be found among Taeyeon’s idiotic fangirls, I really want Taeyeon to realize that there's someone who is waiting for her for real"

"Are you sure Tiffany has that kind of real love?" Hyomin narrowed her eyes.

"Yes, she told me so”

"You can't just believe a new person in the school just like that, Sunny" Hyomin chuckled. "And if there's ever someone who has a real love for Taeyeon, it must not be Tiffany"

"Who else?"

She sighed again. "You'll realize it sooner or later"

She then found a seat and I decided to join her while we waited for two hours to pass by. I kept thinking about Hyomin's words. The one person who actually has real love for Taeyeon – who could that person be in the school?

I then considered myself. I had known Taeyeon since we entered this school together. That famous girl was indeed very loyal to me. She had followed me around ever since we became best friends. She always helped me in everything, both in the organization and in other stuffs. School business aside, Taeyeon and I would often spend a little time to have lunch or dinner together after study time finished. Those were the only moments we could talk about our personal lives - our likes and dislikes as well as our habits. I had to admit, I loved those moments.

I loved it everytime Taeyeon was around; I would feel so comfortable and safe. And I hated it when those fans of her suddenly popped out of nowhere in the middle of my time with her. Taeyeon would then ignore me and serve those fanatics. Along these three years, I thought that was just her habit so I had never really minded about it. However, lately, I began to hate those peeps to the point where I got so pissed off. I hated the way Taeyeon treated them so nicely. Probably, it was the fact that Taeyeon only looked at me in the same way she looked at those girls which made me angry.

Why? Why did I have to feel such pain in my heart now? Could it be that I… I….

Time eventually passed and it was already two hours since Taeyeon and Tiffany entered the cinema. The exit gate then opened up and people started walking out one by one. My heart was suddenly beating fast. I could not wait to see the two girls again. I wanted to know what they would do next. No, I actually wanted to know what Taeyeon would do to her next. Hyomin and I waited and waited, but after several minutes, there was no sign of their presence.

"Where are they?" Despite my short body, I tried my best to search among the audience who just got out through the exit.


"Maybe they want to wait until the exit path is free of people, so that it's easier to get out" Hyomin tried to calm me down.

We waited again but after ten minutes there was still no sign of my vice president and the girl she was dating. I stood up and approached the exit door, with Hyomin tailing me again. Without even bothering the security staff, I entered the not-so-dark-anymore cinema. I climbed the stairs to the hall. I looked over here and there, trying my best to catch their figures. And what I saw next was the most heart-breaking moment Taeyeon could ever show me along our three years of friendship.

I saw Tiffany leaning on the wall on the corner of the room, with Taeyeon right in front of her. Their faces were just a few centimeters apart. I started clenching my fists. My body began trembling without my permission. I knew this was going to happen. Was it not called dating if it did not have a kiss scene in it? I was such a fool. I was such a fool for everything - for arranging this date. 

I should have been happy that Taeyeon could finally belong to someone; she would finally give her love for one girl only and would not flirt around again. That lucky girl was not me, even though I had been with her for three years. It was not me.

With my own eyes I witnessed Taeyeon leaning her face closer to the other girl, and I did not want to know what happened next because I knew it already. I turned around and started running away. I heard Hyomin calling my name while she tried to catch up with me, but I ignored everything. I just wanted to go home and cry on my bed.

I should have been happy for Taeyeon.