Final

Better Left Unsaid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mark has always pondered on the personality of people who would pass by. Are they the typical ones who simply brushed their problems off? Those who gave their care too much? Or possibly, the ones who would paint themselves a fake mask?

Those are the ones who are hard to understand. Their masks that would hide their true selves just for the sake of not getting hurt, it would confuse them of who they really are.

But who was he to judge? He was the same as them.

 

There was just one person who breaks the mask I concealed.

Mark stood up from one of the chairs in the bubble tea shop and grabbed his drink. Walking out of the store, he breathed in the cold air. The weather was rather too cold for a day on the month of March wherein spring would soon come. It was one of Mark's habits, taking a cold drink in a cold weather just for the challenge of it.

The said boy pulled the edges of his jacket closer to his chest, and trotted down the stairs, noticing a figure lying down the nearby bench.

His plain expression immediately turned brighter by the sight. This girl is impossible. He shook his head by the thought. Mark got closer to her and he placed his palms over her already closed eyes, causing the sleeping girl to groan.

 

"Guess who." The edge of the girl's lips lifted upwards, but she smacked his hand away. "Go away, Tuan."

He snickered and kicked the wooden bench lightly. "Wake up, Haeyun. It's freezing out here and you still managed to sleep soundly?" She sat up, squinted her eyes then stuck her tongue out.

"Well, forgive me for studying the whole night for the exams." She yawned and brought her coat closer to her, covering her school uniform.

"At least I'm not the one who decided to buy a cold drink in this damned weather." Haeyun continued, smiling cheekily as she snatched the drink from his hands, taking a sip in triumph.

"Says the girl who can't get enough of my bubble tea." He slipped his hands inside his pockets and Haeyun simply responded with a roll of her eyes. Mark took a seat as well since they were quite early considering the amount of students around the campus. "Say, it is gonna be the last day tomorrow."

He nodded as a sign for her to continue while he closed his eyes. "I thought it would be cool if we get a congratulatory gift for each other. A sign that we finally survived this heck of a year, because I don't want to finish this school year and receive nothing in return of all the hard work."

Haeyun had a point.

Both reminisced the memories of their past school year and admittedly, it was one of those years which was filled with chaotic presentations, a lot of all-nighters, and last minute papers.

A sigh of relief escaped his lips when he grew excited at the thought that the school year would finally end. "Sounds good."

She stood up, and grinned happily. "That's a promise then."

She walked unto the direction of their high school academy, shouting, "No take backs!" Her reaction made Mark flash a warm smile, like she always would.

And that's her.

 

 

 

Break time rolled along earlier than expected. Four of their final tests were finally done and two was left for the next day.

Mark touched his aching forehead, still drained out from the previous tests. Like any other typical student, the boy was itching to be freed from the so called hellhole. Luckily, they had only one more day left which he was truly proud of.

One more day, and he would be out of this school for the meantime.

He jogged along the stairs that reached the rooftop with his earphones blasting music loudly as he unlocked the door.

"Boo!"

Haeyun jumped off the side of the door, and pouted when she saw the boy's unfazed expression. "My God, Tuan. You ."

"Pabo. What do you think I am? A preschooler? I'm a sophomore, if you may not know." Mark took his own earphones off as he pinched her nose playfully. "Yah! I already feel sorry for myself that I call you my best friend."

Mark shrugged the supposed insult off as the two walked to the side of the rooftop. "Nope, I'm pretty sure you don't."

Haeyun shook her head as a bright smile tugged on her lips. She brought out three of her packed sandwiches inside her bag which she would always make for their trio of friends.

"Where's the loudmouth?" Haeyun asked before she handed Mark one of her sandwiches, and took a bite of her own. As if on cue, the devil itself popped out of the rooftop entrance.

 

"Looking for this drop dead y brat?" Jackson pointed his fingers to himself.

"I was, but I regretted as soon as I said it. By the way, the last word you said suits you so well." The girl remarked and tossed the last sandwich to Jackson whose goofy grin was long gone. "Well, you still love this brat."

Haeyun scoffed and was about to throw another playful insult until she was cut off by her phone ringing. She quickly picked it up and walked to the other side of the rooftop. Jackson took a large bite of his sandwich. "Mark, we should go somewhere this summer."

He took another bite. "You know, the three of us on a road trip or go somewhere to relax. Or probably go to the beach. Or go ice skating! Or probably-" Mark flicked Jackson's forehead before he could talk animatedly about their possible trips during summer.

"Before thinking about summer, try and think about the last two tests for tomorrow." Jackson scratched his head as his brows furrowed. "Damn, I was just suggesting! No wonder Haeyun's punches hurts more and more. You're a bad influence!"

Mark sighed and finished the last piece of bread he had. "If I'm bad, then you're worst." The latter crossed his arms and just ate the sandwich, but soon, Mark agreed with his friend's suggestion which made Jackson punch his fist up in glee.

Haeyun's call ended when the two boys talked about their plans for summer, having Mark to forget about the tests the next day. She groaned and swallowed the lump in and turned back to her friends.

"Who was it?" It was Mark who asked.

"Just my parents." She responded with a smile. Jackson rested his head on the wall, placing his hands behind his head. "What did they say?"

 

Haeyun simply shrugged it off. "It was nothing." As Haeyun finished her sandwich, the bell rang, signalling the start of the next period. Mark went straight to their designated classroom with Jackson's bickering and Haeyun's laughter not too far.

"I seriously don't understand why we have an extra period for announcements. We have tests to study tomorrow for heaven's sake!" Jackson bumped his fist on his desk as if he was on court. "Either way, you won't study."

The loudmouth leaned against his seat and replied. "You're no fun. No wonder you're too dense." Jackson wriggled his eyebrows jokingly as Mark looked at him in confusion and seated himself next to him. "What do you mean?"

Jackson answered as he placed a palm on his forehead, showing his frustration. "Oh God, it's so obvious and yet you don’t even know it yourself." The boy kept on babbling about how his friend was insensitive and stupid, as if he's not like that himself.

"I don't have any feelings for Haeyun. We're just best friends." Mark gave emphasis on the last two words to make it look more believable.

Jackson laughed hysterically and caught his friend red-handed. "That's funny, I don't recall that I said anything about feelings." he continued, "But don't regret it when someone takes over her heart before you do."

 

Mark perked up at his statement as he looked at him. Jackson smirked triumphantly as he jabbed a finger at Haeyun's direction. "That girl's damn right attractive and you know that you are the only one who is keeping the other boys from asking her out."

For once, in his entire life time, Wang Jackson said something realistic. "So?" Mark managed to ask.

"So? So?! That's all you have to say after-Ouch! Jesus! Okay, I'll shut up!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter