Interview

Star Children

Jihyo leaned against the headrest of the bed as she read an email in their bedroom. She sighed as she scrolled through the pages. It was the script for an upcoming drama, the ex-girlfriend club. It was an interesting plot, and she knew Gary wouldn’t disagree if she wanted to film. But her children…  

Gary came it after putting their children to sleep. Like reflex, she quickly closed the file. He snuggled up beside her.

“They slept?”

He nodded, letting out a yawn. “What are you reading?”

“Nothing much,” she brushed it off. Gary frowned as he turned towards her.

“Nothing much?” he asked slowly, looking straight into her eyes.

Jihyo knew there was no use in lying. They could read each other’s mind anyway. She remained silent, averting his gaze. He had it somewhat figured out. He sighed and looked away. “Arrasseo, don’t tell me then.” He didn’t want to force her into telling him if she felt uncomfortable.

Jihyo put her hand on his. “I was reading a script,” she finally confessed.

Gary looked at her, prompting her to say more. She explained. “The producer of this drama is a friend of my (ex)-manager… he asked her to email me the script because he felt I was suitable for this role.”

“So, how’s it?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugged, snuggling closer to Gary. He put his arms around her. She continued, “It’s an interesting plot, but there are so many things to consider now.”

He knew what she was worried about. “I can look after the children, you know. Taking a month or two off would be fine, I’ve just completed the album, anyway.”

She didn’t reply, but played with his fingers instead, twirling it around hers.

“Honey, I know you love acting a lot,” he said, sitting up straight so they now faced each other. “You have given up a lot for them. For me. Take this chance to pursue what you like again, ok?”

He may not be an actor, but he still knows it. The shine in her eyes when she read a good script, her excitement when she finally can portray the feelings of character, her smiles no matter how tiring the filming was… these are similar to how he feels when he works with music. If music was his dream, then acting was hers. But she gave it up 3 years ago, for this family. She gave it up so he could pursue his dream. Sometimes, he feels so guilty for making her do so. Being an actress wasn’t just a job for her. It was her passion, her dream.

She smiled as she read his thoughts, even though he didn’t mean to send it out.

“You don’t have to be guilty, dang shin-ah,” she said as she caressed his cheeks. “It’s my choice and I have no regrets.”

He pulled her closer and kissed her forehead. “You know, now that the kids are older now, I really think I could handle them. If you want to act, just go ahead. I’m sure all your fans will be looking forward to it too.”

 

 

“I’ll think about it,” she said switching off the lights to get ready for bed. There were many things on her mind that night, but with Gary’s arms around her, she managed to sleep peacefully in his embrace.

 

 

 

A few days later, her (ex)- manager called her.

“Jihyo-ah?”

“Eo, eonnie, wae?”

“Have you decided if you wanted to film? Otherwise the producer has to find another actress."

“Ne,” she answered.

“Ne what?” her manager asked, confused. “’Yes’ to filming or ‘yes’ to finding another actress?”

Jihyo laughed. “Yes, I’ll film,” she clarified. She didn’t realise that her answer could have a double meaning.

Her manager was more than shocked, but pleasantly surprised to hear that. “Jjinja? Then I’ll tell him now? Omo, I can’t believe you actually agreed, I even told him not to have his hopes up.”

 

 

It became great news for everyone, especially Jihyo’s fans. Her career had been on hiatus for so long, and many people thought she stepped out of the entertainment circle for good. But this came as a pleasant surprise to everyone.

Even before filming started, she was overwhelmed with many interview requests. After all, she was once a popular actress. Everyone wanted to find out why she decided to stop her career 3 years ago, and what made her film again. Her previous manager offered to help her decline most of the interviews and help to arrange her schedules, even though it’s not part of her job scope any more. But she enjoyed working with her in the past; throughout the years she had worked under Jihyo, their relationship was more of like sisters than manager-actress relationship. Jihyo cared for her and treated her like an older sister, and it was more than a pleasure to help her out this time around.

 

Jihyo finally agreed for one interview. The interviewer was one she worked with before, and she knew he asked appropriate questions and wouldn’t press her for answers, that’s why she agreed.

“Annyeong haseyo,” she greeted him with a bow.

The younger man stood up and bowed too. It had been long since he interviewed her. Back when he first interviewed her, he was still fresh into the industry; now, he has matured a lot. He held out his right hand and supported it with his left.

Jihyo shook his hand.

“Ne, annyeong haseyo, Song Ji Hyo ssi. It has been long,” he nodded.

She just smiled as a response. They chatted for a while to get a little more comfortable with each other, while the cameras were being set up. After a few minutes, everything was ready.

At the director’s cues, the interviewer started the introduction.

“Good evening everyone, thank you for watching Entertainment weekly. We have here with us today, Song Ji Hyo!”

Again, Jihyo stood up to bow. “Annyeong haseyo, everyone. It was been a long time.”

“Indeed, it has,” the interviewer agreed. “It has been 3 years since you stepped out of the industry, and only recently have you made appearance on TV again- the new programme, Happy Family. What made you wanted to join the program?”

She nodded. “Ah… ne…” she said, taking some time to phrase her words carefully. This was why she didn’t like interviews. Her each and every word must be carefully thought out, or she might offend one person or another. “It’s an interesting program… we get to do new things with our children and I get to work with my running man colleagues again. Thank you for all the viewers who still give Running man so much love after we’ve stopped filming for so long,” she said.

In all honesty, she, as well as the other casts and the producers of the new programme, knew that the main attraction of the programme was not the activities, but the casts themselves. Many of the running man fans wanted to watch them again, and that interest was what made the channel come up with this programme. The casts were really honoured to be part of it. To them, they were just like any other family and it was only thanks to the fans’ love that they could continue to film another variety show with their children.

“You are really like a family with them, isn’t it? When we see your interactions with them, we can really tell that you all are really close.”

She smiled. “Actually… we haven’t been keeping in close contact before the new programme started. The last time we met was during Jong Kook oppa’s wedding almost two years ago. But when we met again…” she sighed happily. “It was like nothing has changed. We are still as comfortable with each other as before…”

“I think that is why people enjoy watching all of you film, making all the casts so popular back then, even when the show ended. So, what was the reason for stepping out of the entertainment industry?”

“Family,” she simply stated, smiling slightly, with a tinge of happiness in her eyes. It was obvious how she loved them.

“In fact, many female artists still continue pursuing their career when after they have children, so what made you give it up completely?”

Jihyo pondered for a while, before finally answering. “Many people think that I stopped my career for the kids,” she said. “But they aren’t the first reason.”

The interviewer looked at her questioningly. She smiled and asked the interviewer instead. "Have you heard the phrase, 'Everyone has three faces. One they show to the rest of the world, one they show to their close family and friends, and one, they show it to no one'?"

He nodded.

"Oppa (Gary) neun... also has three faces. In running man and in singing... oppa expresses his feelings freely. The character he portrays is one that does what he wants without restriction. Everyone thinks he enjoys partying and clubbing and having fun. That's his first face. However, all the members, including myself, know that's not the complete truth. When he's with us, behind the screen, he's more reserved. He values solitude and harmony. Every time when we've a gathering, we will talk a lot but he usually remains silent, not because he hates the noise. He's listening, but he isn't the type who will say a lot. That's is second face. The last face... he doesn’t show it... but I think I know... He craves for family warmth. Even when he shows that he enjoys solitude... when he was a child, his parents died... I think that's why he behaves so independently. But deep down inside he craves for a family. I see it in his eyes each time we eat with my parents; I see it in his smiles when he looks at the kids and me. If I go out to work I won't be able to provide him with the warmth of a family. I may enjoy acting but I enjoy seeing him happy even more…"

The interviewer smiled at her admiringly. “That must be the sweetest thing I’ve heard in a long while. Kang Gary-ssi is so lucky to have you.”

Jihyo shrugged. He’s the one who always made her smile no matter how bad her day was. He’s the one who always throws her off guard with his compliments. He’s the one who puts her before anyone else. He’s the one who loves her more than anything. “No, I’m lucky to have him,” she said it lovingly as she thought about Gary.

“Isn't it hard to give up what your career that you painstakingly built for your family?"

Jihyo pondered for a while. 
"I wouldn't say it's not hard. I was caught in a dilemma because both are the things that I love a lot, acting and my family. But it's worth it. When I see the children grow little by little everyday... when I see oppa's tired but grateful smile when he come home from work every day..." A small smile crept onto her face. "... then I know it's worth it."
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Super short chpt cuz buzy day today): Hope it’s not too Jihyo-focused XD