Introducing Yuri the....?

The only one in the universe

“We’ve been over this before.  It’s the law.  End of story,” the man’s voice boomed as he folded his arms across his chest.  His icy stare gave the girl the shivers.   

“I just can’t accept the fact that something that was created thousands of years ago has the power to dictate my life.  Why do I have to follow that stupid law anyway?” she responded without backing down.

“Laws provide order.  They keep us safe.  As long as you are under this kingdom, you will do as the law says.”  He ran his fingers through his gruff beard, a clear sign of his growing frustration.

“Maybe I should just leave and go far away.  Then there won’t be any laws to tell me what to do, where to go, or who to marry.”

The man’s gloomy expression was unexpected and the girl silently wished she hadn’t gone that far.

 The man let out a long exhale before speaking.  “Jessica, please.  Can’t you see that I am only trying to do what is best for you?”

“And you don’t think I am capable of doing just that?  Father, I’ll be twenty-one in less than a week yet you’re still treating me like a child!” She threw her hands up in the air for effect.

 “Where have I gone wrong with you?  Your mother would know what to say in a situation like this….”

Jessica paused a moment as tears started to well up.  “She would say..“ she tried to compose herself before continuing, “that you should trust your daughter and forget the law.”

The man shook his head as he sat down.  “We will continue this conversation another time.  I have a friend coming over and he’s bringing his daughter, Yuri.  You remember her, don’t you?”

“No, I don’t.  And I don’t feel like meeting anyone right now.”

With that, Jessica stormed out of the room and headed down the hall.

---

“It’s good to see you, Ophion,” the man said as he extended a hand.  

“You’re looking a little older than the last time we met,” he said with a laugh, grasping Hyperion’s hand in a firm shake.  “I’m sure you remember my daughter, Yuri.”

As a tall, tanned girl emerged from behind her father, a small gasp escaped the mouth of a curious onlooker peering from behind a slightly open door. 

“Yuri, yes.  My, has it been that long?  The last time I saw you, you were this high,” he said as he motioned to his knee.

“Yes, sir.  I remember and your daughter too.  May I ask where she is?

“Beautiful and polite!  Jessica has retreated to her room for the night, but I shall give her your regards.  Maybe next time you two will have a chance to get reacquainted.”

“I would like that very much,” Yuri said with a smile and a polite bow.

“I see you came prepared,” the main said as he eyed Yuri’s sword.  “Guest or not, any weapon brought into my house is kept in the armory.  You may place your sword in the armoire for safe keeping and retrieve it when you leave.  It is the fourth door on your right.”

“Yes, sir,” Yuri said before leaving the room. 

As Yuri made her way through the dim corridor, she was mesmerized by the beautiful paintings and sculptures that lined the hall.  She stopped at one, admiring a life size painting of what looked like the royal family. 

“Jessica is lovelier than I imagined,” she whispered to herself. 

Scanning the rest of the painting, she noticed two other young girls standing around the King; one in particular caught her eye.  She had flowing auburn locks and a mesmerizing smile that seemed to radiate off the canvas.  Wanting a better view, she began to step backward. 

“Who is thaaAAAHHH~“  Before she could finish, she had inadvertently tripped over the base of a threshold.  Stumbling backward, she burst through a set of closed doors behind her.

With her military training kicking in, she instantly sprang up from the floor.  Brandishing her sword, she scanned the unknown room, illuminated only by the moon shining through the windows.

“Who, who are you?” a trembling voice said softly.  A creak and rustling of sheets could be heard.

“I mean you no harm, miss.  I came here to visit the King; I am from the Kingdom of Ophion.”  She remained perfectly still as she said this.  With her eyes adjusting to the darkness, she noticed she had stumbled into the girl’s bedroom.

“How dare you come into my room uninvited!”  she said almost in anger as she tossed her covers aside. 

“I apologize for my brazen actions, I was just looking for the…“ she paused when she realized the girl had been sleeping partially .  “..s!” Yuri blurted out.

The girl took a moment before realizing her chest was exposed and quickly covered herself again as her face burned with heat.

“Chest!  I was looking for the chest…an armoire for my sword,” she said, holding it up while looking away.  She tried to calm her beating heart which was now racing wildly.

“Well, whatever it may be, it is not in here.  I order you to leave right this minute,” the girl said, trying to pretend like nothing happened.

“Yes…sir, I mean miss,” Yuri said as she turned around in a hurry, closing the doors behind her.              

“Wow,” was all Yuri could say as she held a hand to her chest.  She took a moment, inhaling deeply before composing herself.

"Could that have been..."

---

“What should I do about Jessica?  She won’t listen to reason,” Hyperion asked, a hint of desperation in his voice.

The taller man chuckled as he swirled the blue liquid in his glass before taking another sip. 

“What you do is absolutely nothing,” Ophion said with a laugh.

Hyperion furrowed his brow.  “That won’t work, not this time.  This wasn’t a typical argument; she even threatened to leave home!” he shouted, nearly knocking over his chair as he stood up.

“Calm down, friend.  I do know what I’m talking about.  After all, I have a grown daughter myself.”

He took a seat again, trying to calm down.  “I know.  She is so well mannered.  It must be easy for you.” 

“It is, when I am able to see her,” Ophion said with a hearty laugh.  “Yuri can’t seem to stay in one place for too long; she is always busy training or studying.”

Hyperion’s mood lightened a bit.  “Sounds a lot like you when we were kids.  You must be proud.”

“I am.  I just want her to realize that there is a lot more to life.  I want her to experience as much as she can including love,” he said somewhat half-heartedly. 

“At least she’s not going against your wishes, scouring the universe for the love of her life.”

Ophion placed a hand on Hyperion’s shoulder.  “We all have our problems.  All the suitors that come to our kingdom want to spar with Yuri, not marry her,” the other man said as he let out another hearty laugh.  “I had no intention of raising her that way; she developed an interest all on her own.  She was such a natural when it came to fighting. ”

“Your daughter would have made a fine son-in-law,” Hyperion said with a laugh.

At that moment, a dark figure retreated quietly into the shadows. 

Jessica’s lips curled into a devious grin.  “Son-in-law, huh?” she whispered to herself.  “We’ll see about that.” 

-----

A/N:  This will be more of a serious fic, but I'll still insert humor whenever possible.  Not sure if anyone noticed, but I used Titan names from Greek mythology for the different kingdoms. I have no imagination.  Haha.  Hope you guys are enjoying the story so far!