Chapter 1

Never Going Back

The man stood in front of her. He was tall, but not too tall. He had long, raven hair, fair skin, red lips and the most piercing brown eyes she ever saw in her life. He was wearing Imperial clothes making his figure scarier, colder.

He was staring at her with all his might, his lips forming a thin line and he looked worried and…confused? He looked like he didn’t know where he was and why he was there to begin with. She saw him reaching out to her, and her first impulse was to reach her hand to him, but as soon she did it she felt her body being pulled away from him. She could feel something grabbing her arms and legs, pulling her away from him. She tried to scream, she tried to call him, but no matter how much she tried no sound would come out; she lost her voice completely.

Panic was taking over her, she felt like she was about to fall in a black hole and nothing would save her. She couldn’t feel the floor under her feet and she couldn’t breathe properly. In a moment she was sure that something or someone was grabbing her by the neck and tying to suffocate her. She was almost in despair and had no idea what to do. He was running after her, but every time he seemed closer to her she would be pulled away with more strength.

Why couldn’t she speak? Why couldn’t she be free from whatever was holding her? What was happening to her and why was she feeling like this was close to death? Who was this man in front of her? Who was he and why did he made her feel like she was safe and yet in danger at the same time? Why did he look like he was about to break into millions of pieces if he didn’t hold her in his arms? 

Before she could have any of her questions answered, she felt a gigantic pain in her chest, almost unbearable and felt the tears running down her face. She tried to open her eyes, but her vision was completely blurry. God, she wanted to scream, she wanted to beg for help but all she could feel was her body giving up on her.

She started losing her strength, but before she gave up completely, allowing herself to follow into complete darkness, she heard a shout. A desperate, long, full of pain scream. And it wasn’t any scream. It was a scream for her, someone was calling her.

“Soojung!”

She hadn’t heard that name for so long! How did he know? How did he know her name and why did it felt so right? How was that even possible?

“Soojung!”

 Again, he was shouting in such a desperate manner she was panicking that she wasn’t able to shout back at him, begging him to save her.

“Soojung!”

He was getting closer! She could feel him getting closer. Her body started moving on its own; trying to be free from whatever was restraining her. He kept on calling her over and over again, but all she could do was fight back. God, she wanted to shout at him, call his name, and say she needed him to be her savior. “Soojung!” She could feel him closer to her. Just a little bit longer, just a little bit more and she would be saved! He was going to save her and make everything better again. Her vision was getting better, her breathing was going back to normal, everything would be alright, all she needed was for him to reach her…just a little more! “Soo

 

 

 

“Krystal!”

The shout was angry and made her open her eyes. What the hell was that all about? What kind of horrible dream did she just have?

“Krystal! For god’s sake, if you don’t get up now, I swear I’m leaving you here!”

She turned her head to the side to see her watch. 7AM. she was late. Incredibly late! She should have woken up at 6AM get ready and leave the house with her sister. But no! She had to fall asleep again. Why could she never wake up at a decent time at least once? She had a huge schedule for the day, and yet she allowed herself to fall into dream land and forget about real life.

“Krystal! Move that ! We’re late!”

Sure she was late, but her sister didn’t need to keep shouting like a crazy old woman who just lost her cat! Don’t get her wrong, she loved Jessica with all her heart, and she would do anything for her. She owned most of her success in her career because of Jessica but sometimes she took the older sister title to a whole new level. Sure, Jessica was like her boss…when they first started, but not anymore! Now they were both at the same level.

The two of them became well known models, every single brand, Korean and International wanted the girls to represent them. They had the fresh yet sophisticated look everyone liked to see. While they had similar paths, there were small differences between the two. While Jessica chose to invest in her studies and become a designer herself, Krystal decided she wanted to start acting. She knew it was cliché, a model wanting to be an actress, but it was something she really wanted.

At first she went for small parts. Cameos, secondary roles…everything to give her some experience; until she was good enough to be the main character. Everyone was honestly surprised she was a good actress and could pull off anything she was asked for.  Both were well recognized by the public, both earned their own money without needing anything else, both were independent women who could do anything they wanted, spend everything they wanted and just chose what they wanted to do.

They were at the peak of their own careers and yet, Jessica still treated her like a little baby who was learning how to walk. She protected her from everything and everyone. Jessica was one of the main reasons why Krystal’s dates never lasted more than a month; she would scare every man who got closer to her little sister. Every man that came close to Krystal would deal with Jessica…and then run away. She had gained the title ice queen for some reason. She was absolutely sure she would end single thanks to her older sister. Single with cats all over the house.

“So, what are your plans for today after the shoot?”

Jessica asked as she entered the car and said her good morning to their driver. He was an old man who had been with them since their debut; a very worthy man who saw the two girls as his own daughters and would do anything to help them out. No need to say the girls thanked the man with tons of presents every time they could. He saved them from annoying journalists more times that they could count.

“I don’t know…I’ll probably just grab something to eat and then go to the gym…or maybe go swim a little.”

She paused for a moment as she made herself comfortable in her seat. She looked to their driver and smiled.

“What about you Ajusshi? What are you doing after work is done?”

 Krystal smiled gently to the man who showed a kind, yet small smile. The small wrinkles around his eyes were more noticeable and his grey hair seemed to shine with the sun light entering the car. His pearl white lips were visible making a soft contrast with his pale skin.  He looked like one of those grandfathers everyone wanted to have.

“Me? I’m going to meet my grandson today. It’s been months since I last saw him. He’s been in the United States working as a lawyer. He decided to leave the firm he was working for and wants to open one in China with a partner he met in Boston if I’m not mistaken….My boy is finally coming home for good, after 6years away from us.”

Every time he spoke about his grandson Krystal could see how the man’s eyes sparkled. He was so proud of him that it was almost like he had to shout it from the rooftops. It was a lovely thing to see and warmed Krystal’s heart. And from what she heard, he had a very devoted grandson who would anything for his grandparents.

“Why don’t you take Krystal with you Ajusshi? She’s been single for so long! I think she would fit your grandson! They aren’t too many years apart are they?”

The younger one looked at her sister with wide eyes not believing what she just heard. Was she for real? First, Jessica would never suggest something like that. She would rather kill men than have any of that species get closer to Krystal, and second, how in the world could she suggest something like that?

“He’s 35 years old actually. He does look younger tho. He’s single and lives for work.”

“He’s good for her! She needs someone to take care of her! She needs a mature man. And she’s 23 so I think it’s a good age.”

Krystal felt like she wasn’t in the car anymore and that the conversation was getting out of hand. What was happening? Her sister and their driver were matchmakers now? When did that happened and how did she missed something so big?

“I don’t know if you realized, but I’m still here! And no, I don’t want to be set up with anyone, no offense Ajusshi, your grandson seems a good person. And unnie, this is not like you. You scare men who come close to me and now you want to set me up?”

Jessica smiled innocently and just starting working on her phone, or at least pretending she was busy with something but the younger one knew better. Even their driver smiled slightly and just ignored the stare Krystal was giving him.

The raven haired girl was confused. It was like everyone around her decided to wake up and change their behavior. Even if it was to , which she was pretty sure was the main point; there was something that made her feel a little bit strange. Jessica would never talk about something like this. But then again, she was sure her lovely sister was bipolar and would act like a different person once in a while.

But why bother? They were sisters, their life job was to annoy each other in different ways so who really cared right? What she couldn’t stop thinking about was her dream. It was so strange…too strange. It was a dream so she shouldn’t be taking it too seriously but there was something about it…something really strange about it.  Something about that strange shadow…Something that made her scared…really scared.

No, there was no point on thinking twice about it. It was a dream nothing more! A stupid dream and would never comeback.

“Sica…”

She called. Her sister looked at her, but with one eye on the phone.

“I want to go blonde.”