Today

Today

Today, Kang Daesung is going to try and save Choi Seunghyun's life. He doesn't know it yet, but it will happen.

It's the only reason why my father has tasked me to come here. I'm just not sure which one of them I'm here for. My father is a stickler for rules. I'm on a need to know basis. Dads are annoying sometimes, my father is no exception.

It wouldn't be for another hour, so right now, everything is as calm as it could be in the Bigbang bubble. They had just wrapped up filming for a variety show as part of their comeback promotion, and someone's yelling at them to quickly change back to their clothes and that they are moving in forty. If this dude only knew what was going to happen in sixty, he wouldn't be so keen to rush them. 

While we wait for Kwon Jiyong to unhook every earring studs and necklaces and rings and bracelets off his limbs and back to the black box like noona told him to, let's go back to one week from now.  

-

A week ago, Choi Seunghyun finally confessed to Kang Daesung. 

"I think my house is haunted." 

Daesung was obviously speechless by this confession, as any sane person would. 

"Yah, did you hear what I just tell you?" Seunghyun whispered urgently, eyes darting across the room to make sure no one else was within earshot to have heard him. "I said my house is haunted." 

Daesung somehow found his voice, and Seunghyun could see his brain working for a reply behind his tired eyes. "No, hyung, you said you think your house is haunted. There's a big difference." 

"It's haunted." 

Seunghyun could tell that Daesung was struggling with himself. How do you let down this hyung without hurting his feelings? How do you tell this hyung that he is being paranoid and stupid without being rude about it? 

And then he saw it, that light in his eyes. Daesung has come up with an answer. 

He smiled that bright smile of his - a weapon to stall for time at this moment - and then said, "If you really don't want me to come over, all you have to do is tell me, I can take it. All this haunted story thing to scare me is a little bit too dramatic don't you think? I mean, I know you've been actively acting these days but-"

Seunghyun has no time for long- monologuing, so he cut him off by putting his leg out and kicking him on his knee. "I'm being so f-cking serious right now Daesung." 

But Seunghyun didn't manage to explain further, because Youngbae has entered the dance studio, announcing that break time is over. Behind him, the echoes of Seungri and Jiyong's chatter grew louder, signalling their presence. 

He felt a tug at his shirt. Daesung's fingers pinching at the hem, pulling for his attention. His eyes were kind (when were they not?) when he said, "Hyung, tell me later." 

Later was three days after, because Bigbang was so packed with rehearsals and photoshoots and interviews. Seunghyun almost gave up on the idea of telling anyone else. Why burden s with a silly thing like believing his house was haunted when they had other important things to worry about at the moment. 

It was during lunch break and Seunghyun found himself alone in YG's cafeteria because he didn't feel like leaving the building to go somewhere else to eat. 

And then Daesung appeared, slid into the chair in front of him with a tray of seaweed soup and baked sweet potato (how is that lunch, Seunghyun will never understand) and that smile. 

"Oh, you didn't go out to eat?" 

"Lazy." 

"You can't be lazy at 26 Daesung-ah." 

Daesung just shrugged while peeling at the skin of the sweet potato, before taking a bite of the steaming food. "Have you found out what kind of ghost is haunting your house?" 

"Don't mock me." 

"I'm not." 

"There's more than a kind?" Seunghyun asked. "Aren't ghosts just...ghosts?" 

"I don't know, I'm not an expert," Daesung replied as he took a mouthful of the soup. "Did you see something? Or did your furniture move on it's own?" 

Seunghyun couldn't help the smirk that had successfully spilled at the corner of his lips. "You've watched too many scary movies." 

Daesung shook his head and took another slurp of the soup. "Hyung, you know I can't even sit through five minutes of that kind of movie." 

Seunghyun sobered, pushing his tray of food aside. Suddenly, he had no appetite for anything. 

"I didn't see anything. Things didn't move around. But I get this uneasy feeling like I'm being watched." 

He was pretty sure he could see the hair on Daesung's hands stood on it's end. He truly is a scaredy cat, this one. "And?" 

"And I think I'm missing stuff around the house. Like, I thought I've misplaced them, but I've lost a watch and two rings so far. I can't have misplaced that many stuff in between days." 

Daesung had no answer for Seunghyun, and so the conversation died. Daesung took twice as long to finish his lunch while Seunghyun just watched him eat. 

Two days later, Daesung proposed.

They were in the car on their way for a series of private interview sessions, Daesung leaned over and whispered in his ear, "Would you like me to sleepover tonight?" 

Seunghyun said yes. 

A whistle escaped Daesung's lips, as he entered the villa. His bag dropped carelessly on the marbled floor. He combed his fingers through his hair, taking the sight before him. 

"I forgot just how huge your house is, hyung. My hostel is like, the size of your living room." 

Seunghyun realized what a huge sacrifice this must have been for Daesung. He was pretty darn sure that if something decided to haunt them that night, Daesung would run so fast, you would think he was flying out the front door. 

So Seunghyun decided to make tofu kimchi for dinner. 

It's just tofu mixed with an abundance of kimchi, how difficult could it be, right? 

"Ah," Daesung said when he saw what was waiting for him at the kitchen. "This kind of cooking is really hard to do hyung. The kind of cooking that doesn't require any cooking at all. Thank you for your hard work." 

They had wine. Red. It was twenty years old and strong in flavour. The kind that would turn Daesung very loud and obnoxious by the third sip. 

"You really at drinking," Seunghyun laughed. He already downed a glass, and everything was still as clear as day. 

"I don't drink as often as you," Daesung replied as he gulped the rest of the content. It burned his throat and then slid like silk. Strong and fruity and just that tad bit hint of spice.

Things that reminded Daesung of Seunghyun. 

"This must've cost you a fortune. You should've open it for an event or something. Not on me." 

"This is an event," Seunghyun replied. "You're here ghosthunting with me." 

"We're not hunting any ghosts. I'm not that drunk." 

Seunghyun couldn't remember the last time he had someone over to his house. He couldn't remember drinking wine late into the morning with another person, just enjoying one another's company, talking about something and nothing. 

His late night wine drinking is usually a solitary activity, with thoughts that sometimes led him to dark places he didn't even want to revisit, which would only result in him drinking even more just to get away from it. This is how Seunghyun would usually finish a bottle of wine on his own. 

"We shouldn't be drinking this much," Daesung burped, hand already reaching out for Seunghyun to refill his glass. "We have final rehearsals tomorrow. Jiyong hyung will not be pleased." 

Seunghyun poured another healthy amount, dimissing the younger's concerns. "I'll give you my hangover recipe for breakfast. You'll be as good as new by the time we reach studio." 

Daesung ended up in Seunghyun's bed.

Not because he was too drunk to go to the guests' bedroom where he had dropped off his bag earlier, but because a tiny part of him didn't want to be left alone if there really was a ghost haunting this villa. 

In the darkness that was Seunghyun's room (he really likes it dark dark), Daesung stirred in the middle of alcohol-induced sleep. He thought he saw something moved at the foot of the bed, but even his fear couldn't fight off the alcohol in his system. He turned over, felt Seunghyun's breath on his face, and returned to slumber. 

In the morning, Daesung would doubt if what he saw was real, or just a vivid dream. 

"I slept like a baby last night," Seunghyun confessed. 

"Seriously?" 

"I think because you're around. I don't feel so alone and scared." 

"Hyung, seriously. If you want us to come by for sleepovers, you only have to ask. All of us would be happy to abandon our tiny apartment to come sleep here for a night or two. There is no ghost, is there?" 

"I wasn't lying about the ghost. But I slept well last night, unlike the nights before," Seunghyun replied. 

"Well, this place can feel kinda creepy late at night," Daesung admitted. "This place is too huge for someone like me." 

"Aren't you lucky I'm not marrying you, then." 

"I wouldn't dream to come in between you and your chairs." 

Daesung slept over again, that night. 

Seunghyun didn't invite him, but Daesung could tell that his brother was dreading the idea of going home alone as the day neared the end. 

While in the shower stall, next to each other, Daesung fought with the steam and that trickle of shampoo threatening to blind him, and yelled, "Hyung, is your guest room still available for tonight?" 

"Why?" 

"I want to rent it." 

"Yeah, it's available. If you're lucky, you might even get a free upgrade to the main suite." 

Daesung laughed, and it echoed throughout the entire shower room. 

"Does this main suite comes with a sleeping partner?" 

"Of course! At Seunghyun's villa, we only offer the very best package." 

"Do you both have any idea how gay your conversation sounds right now?" 

Apparently, Seungri was right outside the stalls, shaving his baby face.

"Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, I mean, I ship you both so hard, you have no idea, but really, if someone else were out here and have he-"

Seunghyun hoped that bottle of shampoo didn't leave a visible mark on the maknae's head. A protruding egg is not quite the comeback look for their first tv appearance tomorrow. 

-

Daesung didn't want any wine that night. 

Seunghyun only had a glass, because he is, afterall, a responsible idol. He only needed to dull his thoughts for the next few hours. Hopefully sleep will find him amidst the stress and anxieties of Bigbang's comeback. 

It was almost two in the morning, and Seunghyun found himself tossing around in bed. His mind miles away, thinking about their schedule for the rest of the year. He worries over their comeback performance in two days, worries if the fans would like what they hear, worries over what else can the critics come up with to bring them down. He worries over the recording of the variety show they would be doing tomorrow too. If anyone would find them funny. The kind of questions they would ask; he wondered if he could answer them and not falter. 

Most of all, he worries over that pair of eyes in the corner of his room that have been staring at him. At them. He could feel it. He doesn't know what it wants from him. Why it keeps stealing his stuff. 

"Hyung..." 

"Jesus...you give me a fright. I thought you're asleep." 

"Your thoughts are very loud," Daesung whined. "Sleep." 

And then Daesung pretty much spooned the elder man, and started rubbing circles on his back. "I used to do this to Seungri when he's sick back in the days." 

"I can't believe that," Seunghyun whispered, eyes already half mast. "You're both so awkward with each other." 

"Middle of the night, he's whining from fever and I'm a very sleepy guy who would do anything to keep him quiet and pain-free."

Seunghyun snorted.

There was something else he wanted to say, but his lips are as heavy as his eyelids.

-

The next morning, as Daesung stood under the shower of Seunghyun's bathroom, he noticed a trail of blood swirling it's way into the drainage. It alarmed him for a few seconds, as he struggled to find the cause. 

It wasn't until he walked out of the bathroom and back to Seunghyun's room that he noticed the bloodied footprint trailing from his side of the bed. 

Careful not to wake the older man up, Daesung sat on the edge of the bed and lifted his right foot to rest it on his left thigh. He started squeezing the bottom of his foot, to see if any blood would ooze out. 

And then he found it. Right at the tip of his big toe, a tiny puncture wound. As if something sharp had poked and pierced through. He could feel the dull pain now.

of course Seunghyun chose that moment to wake up. 

Daesung apologised profusely over the blood stains on his obviously expensive carpet. 

Seunghyun scolded him for even caring about the carpet and started fussing for a first aid. 

Daesung assured him it had stopped bleeding but okay he would take a handy plus if that would stop the fussing. 

"Our ride is coming in half an hour hyung, go get your shower now." 

Daesung spent five minutes putting on his jeans and a white shirt (they'll be in stage clothes the whole day anyway so why even bother) and twenty, just getting rid of the stain. 

By the time they reached the studio for filming, everything was forgotten. 

The filming went well. Daesung felt slightly rusty from being away for too long from variety shows. 

Daesung even found an opening to talk about Seunghyun's haunted villa. And the older man recounted the moment he woke up to find Daesung and his bloody footprint.

That brought a lot of laughter.

And that bring us back to the here and now. 

Here, is now forty minutes later; and right on schedule, the same dude came out to round up everybody. 

Back in their normal clothes, they started to bid everyone at the studio farewell. 

The dude was telling Jiyong that a huge crowd had gathered out front, and he wasn't kidding. The crowd is pretty darn huge. Never underestimate the VIPs and figuring out their schedule. 

He used to not like the idea, this leader Kwon Jiyong. Not because he hates the crowd, but like my father, Jiyong is a stickler for rules. He hates when schedules get pushed back and when things didn't turn out in order. 

But today, Jiyong seemed relaxed. He even smiled. Perhaps it's nice to know that after three years, their fans still have their backs. 

It's time to move, and Seunghyun lead the way at the front, followed by Daesung, Youngbae, Seungri and Jiyong. 

Back to the van that would take them to the ever familiar YG building, for an entire day of rehearsals for tomorrow's big comeback stage. 

Daesung's mind was already on his hyung. He shouldn't be troubled with matters of the supernatural kind when he already has a thousand other things to worry about. 

The screaming of the fans are deafening, and they aren't even within arm's reach from the exit. 

"Stayover at my house tonight," Daesung offered, as they make their way out and into the screaming crowd. 

Daesung has his arm around his hyung, a move that is now as smooth as second nature. Seunghyun turned to face him, surprised and relief, all at the same time. 

"You mean it?" 

"Of course," Daesung smiled. "We'll be packed these next few days anyway. Might as well be under one roof." 

Daesung felt the pull at his arm - Seunghyun's way of saying thanks. And then they got pulled back by the screams. 

Somewhere along the way, their hands parted, but Daesung made sure he didn't stray too far. He could see the van waiting for them right at the end of the crowd. It was obvious that the station did not expect to have a crowd gate-crashing that day. 

He smiles and waves, and shake hands to those who are near. He felt himself being pulled away by someone from the back, most likely his manager. Daesung always feels bad when that happens, but he also understands why it has to be done. 

He keeps waving and smiling, acknowledging the ones who scream his name. 

And there's one who caught his eyes. 

The one who doesn't smile. Or looked his way. Her gaze is concentrated to his left, where Seunghyun is. 

She moves with the crowd, but her determination tells him that she has only one target. 

A TOP fan then, Daesung figured. 

And then a glint blinded him for a few seconds, and when Daesung finally regained his vision, he noticed the cause of his temporary blindness. 

She is holding a long, slim, silver object in her hand, while everyone else is holding up banners. 

The pain on his toe starts to throb again, as if slapping the puzzles into place. 

She's the ghost. 

And she's after Seunghyun. 

And this is where I come in. 

Daesung has only a split second to decide. His decision is also the final puzzle to my task today. 

He chose to take action, and as the ghost of Seunghyun's villa made a sprint for him, Daesung makes his move too. 

He comes in between Choi Seunghyun and the long, slim silver object. 

The ghost screams her frustrations and withdraws the object. She raises it high above her head only to plunge it down again. 

The crowd disperse in chaos and panic, and someone comes out of nowhere and pushes her to the ground, pinning her there. 

She is still screaming. 

But I'm not here for her, so I have to get back to Choi Seunghyun, who is now seated on the tarmac floor, cradling Daesung's upper body in his arms. 

There's blood on his clothes, on Daesung, and soon it will be pooling the ground. 

By the glow that is fading around Daesung, I now know he is the one I am here to fetch. 

"Daesung-ah!" Seunghyun was crying. "You can't leave me! Hey, do you hear me? Don't close your eyes! Someone get help now!" 

Jiyong, Youngbae and Seungri have now crowd around them. A barrier of brotherhood that I am about to break. 

Youngbae has taken off his shirt, crumpling it up and staunching the flow of blood. If Daesung has any breath to spare, he would have screamed in agony, but all he can afford is a painful gasp. 

Seungri has a firm hold of his left hand. He keeps squeezing at it, as if the act itself will pull Daesung away from sleep. 

"Daesung hyung, don't close your eyes. Please!" 

Jiyong has lost his patience. He is yelling at someone to get help. He is yelling at the crowd to move away. He is yelling at me to not take his brother. 

I give my cousin another minute to make his appearance before I make my final move. 

For your sake, Kang Daesung, I hope my cousin drops by. 

A stretcher appears, and the dude that was rounding them up earlier said calmly that they can't wait for an ambulance to arrive. Their ride is waiting, they can drive him to the hospital themselves. 

"Do it!" Jiyong ordered. 

I have to admit, it is rather poetic to see the four brothers carrying Daesung to the stretcher, and then with the help of others, carried him to the waiting van. 

The crowd cried for their idols. 

In the van, I made myself appear in front of Daesung. I appeared as his father. The father he knew growing up. The one who would take him to the park for a walk and the church every Sunday. The father with the gentle smile. 

He looked at me and understood. 

"Mian...he..." 

"What are you sorry for?" Seunghyun cried. "Stop talking nonsense! Look at me!" 

Daesung is in a lot of pain right now, he wouldn't be able to see any of them clearly. I've seen this many times to know what is going on. 

Sometimes, I really hate my job. 

They won't make it to the hospital. 

Kang Daesung is going to die in this van, surrounded by his brothers. 

"Actually, not really." 

Speak of the devil. Or angel. 

"You're not taking anyone today. Leave." 

Life of a Grimm is a lonely one. 

No one wants you around. But at the same time, my cousins couldn't really touch me, because doing so will mean having to answer to Death himself. Good ole father of mine. 

"As you wish."

My cousin has appeared as Choi Seunghyun. And the moment she made herself known to Daesung, i could see his eyes lit up. A smile slipped at the corner of his mouth. 

"Stay with me. You're not going anywhere today." 

/End. 

A/n: I forgot to untick the 'draft' so this chapter didn't appear. Sorry about that...Hope you like this short fic, and apologies for the horrendous grammar. 

ETA: I like open endings, hence why this little fic left a lot to the imagination. I have the scenarios in my head, but I dont feel like it's necessary to the story. But if you would like an explanation to some of the things that happened here, please read on :) 

If you are wondering if Todae is more than brothers in this fic or not, I am leaving Todae up to your interpretation. I mean, even in real life, I question their status, heh. I meant to write more, to explain the reason behind the stabbing, but I kinda like open endings. But my take on it is, she has been stalking TOP for quite a while, and has been living in his house. Since the villa is huge and TOP is almost always home only at night, he didn't suspect anything. The trigger to her attack is when Daesung sleeps over. She witnessed how close they are, and that prick to Dae's toe is her crazy way of warning him to back off. But when that didn't change anything, she decided if she cant have TOP, no one else can. And hence the attack. But Dae spoilt that plan as well. I couldn't bring myself to kill him. We still need Bigbang :D

I lied. Final chapter ahead. Sorry about that :p