th call

Hear out the call within my heart

After a two hours of sleep, Sehun woke up first. He hazily looked around and still found the place remarkable. He was happy that he was on a vacation away from their place; being in the same room all the time was rather dull even if he would either sleep at Kai or his place. Recalling him, he looked down and still saw him sleeping tenderly at his heaving chest.

 

            “You slept like a log today… I guess having no thoughts of work and school made you carefree huh?” he ruffled Kai’s hair and earned a moan of protest for his disturbance, it was his own habitual antics whenever he feels his heart flutter over Kai. “Whether you like it or not, I’m getting out of bed” he pulled out Kai’s arm gently and flopped out. Kai was still sleeping but it wouldn’t be long before he wakes.

 

            “I’m hungry and I’m going to go… next time you want to sleep like that is later” he informed the still slumbering figure. He took out his toothbrush and toothpaste and walked out of the room. “Oh, I was just about to call for you guys” Baekhyun had his arm raised for a supposed to be knock on the door. “I had my rest but this guy’s really taking it into heart” he pointed Kai at his back.

 

            “Don’t worry he’ll be up in a few minutes after he feels he’s alone in the bed” Sehun confidently predicted; “In that case, go to the kitchen. Chan and Kyung are already cooking so dinner will be done in a few minutes” Sehun sighed in amazement “Hyung is really caring the whole day… I could kiss you right now” he kid. “Don’t expect too much Sehun-ah, you already skipped with buying food and picking up the things in the car so you and Jong In-ah would end up washing the dishes” he patted Sehun’s shoulder before leaving.

 

            “Ya…” he whined “Hyung… you know I love you right? Come on… don’t make me wash the dishes” he pleaded but no response as Hyun left towards his shared room with Yeol and Kyung.

 

            After Sehun brushed his teeth he went to the kitchen and had a whiff the food that was being made. He hummed with delight at the aroma of what they were cooking “What’s on the menu?” he asked out. Kyungsoo cringed when Chan mumbled something about asking like a boss but continued with his task to cook the meat at the stove “We grilled some pork belly and roasting some steak, we already finished with some chapjae and bibimbap rice. Also, no touching the food yet until we’re finish here or else I’ll have your hand along with the menu” Yeol warned him.

 

            “I didn’t know hyung was this strict when it comes to dinner” he joked “Is Kai awake?” Kyung happened to ask, “Almost… he should be awake by now” he estimated. Not a minute long “What’s that smell… it makes me feel like I haven’t ate in days” Kai proclaimed as he entered the kitchen with a half sleep figure.

 

            “Right on time” Sehun cringed “Just wait up and we’ll be done in a few more minutes” Yeol informed.

 

            Kai sat next to Sehun and just laid his head on his shoulder; not minding the two in front of them that was busy cooking. “Kai… you slept for quite a while, don’t you think that you should act straight and a bit lively rather than to lay your head on my shoulder again?” he spoke softly “My body still feels tired… let me just place my head down” Sehun sighed and didn’t bother to say anything.

 

            Although the sound of the pork belly sizzling in the small grill at the stove was noisy, it didn’t clogged up the sound of their voices in Kyung’s ears. “Aw…” he gasped in pain when oil popped from the newly place strip hit him. “Are you alright?” Chanyeol took hold of Kyung’s arm and carefully inspected it “Its fine, it’s just a small burn and I just got startled that’s all” he assured them.

 

            “What’s wrong?” Kai asked out when they rushed in. “Is everything alright?” Sehun tried to look “It’s alright, I just got a small burn from the oil the pork had. It’s nothing serious” he smiled and waved his hands. “Just to be sure, I’ll get some petroleum jelly to sooth the burn” Kai dashed off to ask Baekhyun “You want me to switch with you? I hadn’t helped out around earlier so I can help finish up here” he suggested.

 

            “You’ll have your part with Kai when you guys clean up the dishes, besides we’re nearly done so just prepare the plates so we can start dinner” Yeol instructed him and he did what he’s told.

 

            “You should take a break, you already did quite much” he told Kyung “I’m fine, it wasn’t that much” he insisted. “I’m not making you take a break because of this, I’m telling you to relax because you’ve already helped that much” Kyung couldn’t argue anymore and just went to the dining table to wait.

 

            A few minutes later, Kai came with the jelly “Where did you got burnt?” he asked as he took some jelly from the bottle “Here…” Kyung pointed out and carefully Kai wiped the injured spot, “God… I thought it was something serious!” Baekhyun sighed when he saw that it was only a minor burn on Kyung’s arm. “Why, were you expecting someone to be burning like a vampire in broad daylight?” Yeol teased. “Really… again with that attitude” he rolled his eyes.

 

            Although it was a short while, Kyungsoo felt that it was more than just a minute. He savored the moment that Kai was holding his hand with a tentative intent at his mild injury. “There we go, just hope that it wouldn’t leave a mark” he smiled at his work “Thanks” was all Kyung could say.

 

            “Kyung, you better be careful next time. Things like these leave marks” he reminded to him, “I’ll try to remember than next time” he was happy for it to happen. Somehow, he felt it was his moment with Kai and it really meant a lot for him.

 

            When dinner started the three were complimenting the two for cooking well. “Ya… Kai, don’t stuff too much food in your mouth. It’s not like we’re going to eat everything up in a flash” Hyun informed the ravaging guy and Sehun chuckled at the way Kai looked “Eat slowly and don’t take too much into your mouth” Sehun added and placed a strip of meat on Kai’s bowl. When he cleared his mouth “What can I do, I love their cooking” he then took the strip Sehun gave and gobbled it up.

 

            “And you wonder why I don’t take you out on public restaurants” Baekhyun muttered and the rest laughed. “Anyways, we have a full schedule tomorrow. I plan on bringing you guys to the hot springs and after that we could take a hike up the mountain” they all nodded except for one though.

 

            “Don’t you think it should be the other way around? We should start off with the hiking and work some sweat then afterwards go and relax at the hot springs. Not unless you plan on getting nice and clean first and then be filthy after hiking up a mountain” he meant to sound sarcastic at the last part. Hyun narrowed his eyes “You didn’t have to sound like that you know”

 

            While the two were bickering Kyung quietly asked Kai “How long had these two been each other’s hair” Kai giggled before answering “Long enough for them to get used to it. Ever since I met the two, they ended up talking back at each other like that all the time. It was rather disturbing at first since I didn’t know whether their fight was real or not but each time it ended it’s like nothing happened” Kyung nodded in understanding. “They’ve know each long since their grade school so I think they know what their getting into”

           

            “It sounds like the both of us back then when we fought for the show we wanna watch when we were kids” Sehun added from the side, “I always needed to kick your so you’d give me the remote and you ended up pouting because of the child lock” he snickered and Kai gave the pout that he was preferring to. Kyung chuckled “I guess he wasn’t strong enough to get the remote from you” he commented.

 

            “Kyung, I suggest you don’t listen too much to what he say; it’s either baloney or just a crude remark” he snarled “You just can’t admit to yourself that I can whoop your in an instant” he mocked “That was back then but I can totally kick your any time anywhere” he challenged “You’re on… how ‘bout we race to the top of the mountain tomorrow? Whoever wins gets to admit that he’s got whooped and include a video of it too” Sehun was full of confidence at that point.

 

            Kyungsoo huffed out a laugh on how the two were acting like the others “Ya… don’t tell me you two are also having a petty fight like these two?” upon hearing Kyungsoo, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun ceased their conflict and avert their attention towards a new competition that was brewing.

 

            “Seems like you’re up with your words; FINE let’s have a race to the top. I’m going with Kyungsoo for my partner” he tugged Kyung’s wrist which startled him because of the sudden tug “YA!” Yeol blurted out “What’s your problem he just chose a partner” Hyun muttered towards Yeol’s reaction “I don’t like the fact that I wasn’t picked by Kai-ah” he whined “Really childish” he snarled.

 

            “Let’s see how much you’ll look good in the video I’ll be recording tomorrow; just make sure you give a pity line after saying the words “I accept the truth that Oh Sehun had kicked my BEHIND so bad that I certainly don’t stand a chance against him”” he was smirking brightly with his ego radiating.

 

            “Baekhyun hyung, you’ll be my partner and I won’t tolerate mercy over this weakling”
 

            “YA! How come I’m the one that gets left behind?” Yeol felt a bit out of place as he looked at everyone. “You’re quite lucky that you didn’t end up being picked; I for one wouldn’t want myself to be in the midst of this world war they’ve waged” Hyun sighed in surrender.

 

            “B-Baekhyun… is this for real? Are we really going to be in a race for the mountain climbing tomorrow?” Kyung was evidently worrying about it as his words sounded uncertain being part of the challenge. Baekhyun pitied him and just mouthed “Just do you best and don’t get in the way” with that Kyung just shut his eyes shut and hoped he’d do fine.

 

            “Alright, while everyone’s here I’ll lay down the terms and condition” Sehun started off with his game. “We start off by the foot of the mountain and head off into different paths as we part. We’ll both walk straight on each path to create a small distance and it’ll be for 10 minutes of walk. Once that’s done we’ll go off straight on ahead to the top” Jong In nodded in acknowledgement.

 

            “We can run, take paths that might help us clear faster; there’s no time limit in this race. You and your partner can decide on which way to head on and when to take a break, there’s no regulations. Just simply be at the top” the rest found it reasonable and plain. “Wait a minute, how will you know where to meet if the both teams would go on opposite ways once you’ve start at the 10 minute walk?” Chanyeol added in.

 

            They all turned to him with knowing eyes, “Good question. Once we start the timer on how long we’ll have to walk apart, you’ll head on straight to the top with two flags stuck on your ground. First one to get their flag wins” Yeol rolled his eyes and just lets out a breath; not minding anymore on retaliating on his job at the game.

 

            “Now that everything’s all settled, I think we’ll do well in this arms race that we’ve waged” Sehun firmly stated to Kai. “Accepted and well understood” he offered a handshake. “Sealed and agreed” he said as he shook hands with him.

 

            They both turned back to their meal and acted like nothing had happened. “Kyung, you better eat more. You’ll need some strength tomorrow” he gave strips of meat and some vegetables to him. “Hyung, don’t play your video games tonight and sleep early. Knowing you, you’ll be playing all night and get weary easily. We have to do some stretching early before we head off”

 

            Both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun just nodded and ate silently while Chanyeol muttered in his seat, blabbering that he wasn’t even considered to be in anyone’s team. “Shush… you’re already fortunate, so shut up and think of happy thoughts when you’re up there and relaxing”

 

                After diner, the dishes were left alone for the two youngest to take care off. “I’ll rinse the dishes and~” Kai was cut off by Sehun halfway towards the sink. “Just got to the living room or get ready to sleep. I’ll wash and rinse” he sternly stated and Kyungsoo looked at them with curiosity. “You really like to show off huh? Fine, have fun in cleaning them all” he stomped out of the kitchen.

 

            Kyung helped out a bit by bringing some of the plates to the sink “You seem very tentative towards Kai but also filling in with chores. You’re quite dedicated on spoiling the guy” he kid, “I’d like to give him a lesson or two when it comes to cleaning up for himself but, he plays when he’s washing the dishes and sometimes breaks a plate or a glass… or both” he puts on the gloves and started the water.

 

            “I also asked him back then to clean his room once in a while and he ended up throwing his dirty clothes on the corner; books and magazines were tossed under the desktop table and his dirty socks and underwear under the bed. I’d give him more nagging honestly but he’s rather immune to that by now” he was serious but for Kyung it was rather funny.

 

            “There was also this other time when mom asked us to do our laundry for once; I asked him to place some detergent in the washer while I get the remaining clothes in the hamper. When I came to check on how things were going, the whole floor was flooding with soapy water and he ended up mixing the colored with the white clothes” he sighed at the hopelessness he felt “You can’t make him do chores but at least he’s responsible with work, study and his dancing” Kyung smiled at the latter words.

 

            “It must’ve been quite the experience to be around him that long to know so much. I… envy people like you. People that has someone that looks after them or vice versa” Sehun looked at Kyung’s face and pulled out one of his gloves to pat his head. “You’re one lucky guy to not know someone like Jong In and be his personal care taker. The only thing I’m thankful of having him around is that he’s fun to play with and most of all to tease” they both giggled.

 

            “Also…” Sehun when back to his serious state and pulled back the glove to continue his duty.
“I’ll ask you a favor on looking after him tomorrow. I know that you’re not an outdoor person as much as Jong In is but he’s more of a debonair when it comes to outdoors. Just make sure he doesn’t get himself hurt” he bid and Kyung felt jealous that he was so caring towards Kai; that although they made a competition earlier with a clear focus on the goal. Sehun’s mind was still worried about him.

 

            “Do I… really stand a chance on turning Kai’s eyes towards me when he has someone as perfect of a partner as you? Can I really… out shine that light you’re showing him? I… I… I want to out shine you so that Kai would turn to me just this once” yet again his fear and insecurities that lingered. “I… have to fight off this feeling inside of me… so I can be strong and better” he tried to force himself into doing so.

 

            “Also, be careful. Earlier Chanyeol hyung said that the mountain is quite steep midway to the top. Be careful with your steps and the ground you’ll be stepping on and don’t astray far from each other” he was sounding overly cautious. “I’m not a kid but thanks for the concern” he handed Sehun the rest of the plates he brought. “Hey, you’re a friend of Kai’s. So a friend of his, is also a best friend” he happily told him.

 

            Meanwhile at the living room “What the hell are you doing here Kai? Aren’t you supposed to wash the dishes together with Sehun-ah?” Hyun blurted as Kai had his head on Yeol’s lap and his feet at Hyun’s. “Can’t I have a quiet evening with my hyungs? I rarely snuggle up like this with the both of you at the same time” he stated. “Just let him stay Baek, it’s nice that he’s clingy on us once in a while”

 

            “You’re really spoiling him huh? Such good example” although he was saying such words, he had a smile in his face as he patted Kai’s feet and gave some light squeeze. “I love it when you pamper me” Kai told the two and made them laugh.

 

            After a few hours. Everyone went to bed and it was already 2 in the morning; Kyungsoo on the other hand stepped out of the bedroom since he couldn’t sleep yet. He made his way towards the front porch and had a seat on the railings. He looked up at the night sky, basking at the wide array of stars that glistened.

 

            He recalled the moments that he cherished within his heart as he saw the sky twinkling with stars.

 

            “It’s rather late… I should get going now” the kid said, “Look! There’s a lot of stars tonight” Kyung pointed out and the kid excitedly looked up but saw only a few “Stop lying, there isn’t much up there” he pouted at Kyung. “You don’t always have to see them shine. If you wanna see them shine brightly, you have to be on a darker area and being in the city won’t show a fracture of their numbers”

 

                “You need to look deeper to know. There are things that aren’t visible but by understanding it and having faith that it’ll show itself. You’ll be able to look beyond what the eyes can see, all you need is believe that there’s nothing impossible” the kid looked puzzled. “I’ll show you one day, I’ll take you to a place where you can see tons of stars shinning” the kid gasped with joy “Really? Will you really do that?” he wanted to confirm. “Sure, as long as you believe in me and listen carefully, I’ll show you the things that you’ll be amazed of” he swore.

 

            “Whoa, there’s lots of stars” a voice croaked from behind. Kyung turned as saw Kai with two mugs on both hands “Couldn’t sleep?” Kyung asked out and Kai handed him the other mug “Sort of… I felt a bit uneasy about later” he leaned on the railing beside Kyung. “Don’t worry, I’ll do my best to not be a burden” Kyung promised. “Don’t be pressured, even if we lose later on it wouldn’t mean much. Me and Sehun were in heat at that time and we like competing once in a while to stir things up” he chuckled but still held his eyes glued to the sky.

 

            “You seem dazzled with the stars up there” Kyungsoo on the other hand had his gaze fixated on Kai. “It’s just that I haven’t seen so many before. When I was a kid, I always pester Sehun to bring me to somewhere we could see a lot of stars”

 

            “Why didn’t he brought you there” he wondered.

 

            “He said it had to be somewhere dark and far from the city lights… we were kids back then so we could do anything to get away from the city”

 

            “How ‘bout now?”

 

            “He hasn’t taken me yet since he fears that I wouldn’t be able to handle the things that lurk out in the open. I admit, I’m into Mother Nature’s works but the work itself doesn’t like me. Besides, Sehun is overly protective with me when it comes to being outdoors” they both snickered.

 

            “Way back then… I knew a kid for a while… he was nice and shy but he tried his best to be lively” it made Kyungsoo’s heart start thumping. He wanted to listen amply on what he’s about to say.

 

            “He told me that he’ll take me one day to a place where there’s lots of stars that glisten in the sky. Where I can just be amazed on how it really look…” Kyung slightly felt a pinch in his chest. “Did… the kid fulfill his promise?” he wanted to know even though he knows the answer himself.

 

            “He left without a word…” he sounded rather disappointed and looked back down. “You must feel terrible about… being given a promise but instead you got left out without a word” he dared to say. “Yeah, I’d be pretty dumb and naïve if I’d say that it was nothing”

 

            Kyung sighed at his answer “But… I still have faith in him” he quickly snapped his eyes towards Kai “He told me to have faith in something that can’t always be seen, to understand thing deeply within its meaning. At first I told myself that it was all rubbish but… I somehow can’t seem to shake off my faith in him that one day, he’ll come back and fulfill his promise. I know it sounds stupid but… my heart keeps on telling me that, he’ll be back and bring me to the place he told me” he brought out a content grin.

 

            Kyungsoo’s heart fluttered and at the same time felt crushed. “I’m sorry… for not keeping my promise but I am thankful that after all these years you still believe in me, even though I left you without saying my goodbye” he had a heavy heart at the moment but he perched up a smile just by hearing those words come from the person his heart has longed for.

 

            “I love you so much… but I can’t say it out loud. I want to tell you so badly on how much you meant at that time and right now… with you. I can hardly sustain my heart from exploding

 

            “Kyungsoo…” he suddenly called out.

 

            Kyung simply hummed “Can I ask you a favor?” he didn’t look at Kyung but instead right back up.

 

            “Sure… what is it?” he manage to say.

 

            “Can you act as the kid that promised me this?” he pointed to the sky.

 

            Kyungsoo knows in himself that he might cry but he mustered up his strength to stop the tears from falling. “O-Of course” he stammered.

 

            “Thank you… so much… for bringing me here” Kai stared firmly up in the sky with a bright smile and for Kyungsoo to see it up close, he knew in himself that it would out shine any star that’s shining up above. “For you… it’s the least I could do” he said out. “All this time, I wanted to make up for the things I’ve promised to you… right now, I want to do my best to find the right moment to tell you how I feel and say that I was the one who confessed to you back then

 

            After a few minutes at gazing at the sky, they’ve finished their drink and went to their rooms. Even though no words came out of Kyungsoo, Kai felt his compassion and sincerity when he was around him. With just simple actions and words, Kyung’s love radiated in a gentle manner.