Final

Wake me up

 

 

 

Song.

 

 

 

The street is in deep silence. Wind gently blows secret whispers and street lamps barely illuminate the place. There’s no one outside except for the few stray dogs whose howls ruin the blanket of hush. 

 

Sehun walks alone along the brick road decorated by few leaves that has let the wind take them to places, his hands shoved on both side pockets of his tattered coat, it was his property ever since high school. Sehun's night shift ended a couple of minutes ago but he missed the bus and walking is the only way to go back home. The second year undergrad hates taking the night shift for his practicum. Hospitals are such horror when the sun fades and the moon climbs up. Plus the strong smell of cholrine and medicine isn't a good thing to breathe in.

 

He hurries his steps, thinking about the reports he needs to finish. It was due tomorrow and he’s only covered a quarter of the whole research paper. Nursing cracks his brain really hard and to actually think that they are all just white uniforms and scrubs, Sehun needs to turn back time and erase the said course in his University application form.

 

Sehun coughs, taking a mental note to drink a medicine later.

 

The apartment building he’s living at is just a few blocks away so Sehun slows down a bit to catch his breath. He should really stop chatting with his classmate, Kim Jongin, while changing back to his clothes because they always forget about the time. If only he didn’t miss the bus—

 

Music, notes, crescendo...

 

He halts and turns his heels to look back.

 

Sehun is sure he heard something.

 

Scanning the deserted street, he caught a sight of a stray dog pawing a garbage bag. Sehun releases his hold on his breath. His heart stopped right then and there. This is why he hates draws, he unluckily picked the night shift. He moved his legs, walking fast, faster.

 

 

 

I love you
you love me…

 

 

 

Sehun stops on his tracks again and he could feel his body tensing. He frantically searched for the voice, anywhere… everywhere. Nothing. Nothing. Sehun saw nothing but there is someone humming. He could hear faint notes.

 

 

We’re a happy family,

 

 

It stops. Sehun balls his fist around the strap of his bag, pulling it closer to his body and walks again. The hair at the back of his neck stands up. The temperature suddenly drops. It’s chilling. He feels cold but he’s all bundled up with a three layer clothes and a scarf. It’s mid-February, and spring is coming.

 

 

With a great big hug,

 

 

Under a street lamp lies a doll. Sehun freaks out a bit, in shock of seeing a doll on his way. He heaved a shaky breath and releases his hand from the strap of his bag to wipe his forehead before clamping it on his chest. Sehun bit his lips and walks steadily without looking behind. He is slowly approaching the doll.

 

It’s just a doll. Its harmless, just an object long forgotten.

 

 

And a kiss from me to you,
Won’t you say you love me too.

 

 

There is the song again. Sehun’s heart started to palpitate on his wrist. Just pass by the doll, don’t look at it and you’ll be fine. He tells himself to keep calm and act like a man.

 

He was to pass by the doll successfully but his eyes betrayed him, sliding down to catch a glimpse of the doll. Sehun promptly stops, he stares as if his eyes are magnetized by the object.

 

“L-Luhan,” Sehun whispers to no one.

 

Blond hair, white skin, big brown eyes, thin pink lips, dressed in a white polo shirt and black shorts. It was a Luhan doll, one that he used to play when he was a kid. Sehun could still remember how happy he was when his father gifted him the doll. The undergrad wonders what happen to the doll, what happened to his doll.

 

He ponders who left this doll here? Someone might have dropped him and no one bothered to pick it up. Sehun pity the Luhan doll. If it was his toy, he would’ve held on it tight and never let go.

 

 

I love you,
You love me.
We’re a happy family.

 

 

 

Sehun felt his whole body freeze. His heart skips a beat when those thin lips twitch agonizingly slow, forming something that makes Sehun's stomach spasm. The song, it was coming from the Luhan doll. He can hear it perfectly, the soft voice. It was Luhan doll singing the song.

 

The undergrad was caught off guard, his soul left him. Slowly, the head turns to face Sehun, the twitch on his lips turns into a smile, smiling lips growing wider… and wider… and wider. Sehun scrambles on his feet.

 

Luhan doll’s soft eyes starts to stare on him. He heard a chuckle and those eyes looks at him harder, fiercer, more devious, brows accentuating those big brown eyes as it matches the smile. Sehun chokes on his spit. He couldn’t move, his body won’t move. Damn it, his legs, it won't move! Sehun couldn’t even close his eyes, it was all wide staring at Luhan doll’s upper body rising from the ground. It rose from the ground and the head whips up to Sehun.

 

Then it starts to sing.

 

 

With a great big hug,
And a kiss from me to you.

 

 

Big brown eyes drowns Sehun. He couldn’t breathe, those lips tugged in smile, in a smile carved at the back of Sehun’s head, a smile he had memorized even in his slumber.

 

 

Won’t you say you love me too…

 

 

The voice drops low, so low, baritone, scary and Sehun caught a sight of Luhan doll’s hand clutched on his pants. He shrieked, screamed, cries for help because those eyes, big brown eyes, stares at him with matching smile.

 

The Luhan doll speaks melody, “I love you, Sehun . Let’s play again.” It sends jolts all over the younger’s body.

 

The face.

 

The smile.

 

So terrifying.

 

Sehun wakes up the next morning, eyes on the ceiling, a familiar song plays on his head. The smile, same as his own. He hums some part over and over and over again. Won't you say you love me too...

 

On his bed, a doll lies beside him, holding his hand, never letting go.

 

And there was the smile.

 

 

--
what the hell is this?