Nine

Speak To Me

In all honesty, she had tried to get Taekwoon to talk to her about it. She had tried to go out of her way to find out why her grandson was distant. He never talked about his day when asked except to talk about the book he read during his breaks. In all honesty, she had no idea how to deal with a teenager any more, her children left home years ago. So long ago that she had no idea how to handle teenage antisocial behaviour any more than she knew how to make more than small talk to people outside of bingo. Therefore when Taekwoon’s piano teacher rang to explain that she knew the reason behind it all, she gladly offered to help out with the plan. Really she had nothing to do besides accept a basket of bread and push the boy inside towards Taekwoon’s room. So, there were no complaints from her end. And she got bread out of it which was a bonus.

When Hakyeon arrived, she pulled him inside, insisting he stay to meet her grandson, and pushed him towards Taekwoon’s door. When she knocked, Taekwoon opened it giving her a confused look before he spied Hakyeon that just made him turn sour. Although, the older women did see the flash of hurt in his eyes.

“You two talk and I shall make some tea.” She said, ushering them both to the room before walking down the hall to escape the awkwardness of the entire thing. All in all, she felt so out of the loop.

Back in Taekwoon’s room, Hakyeon was trying his best to look anywhere but at Taekwoon. He had a feeling if he did he would do something he might regret. Like cry. So instead he examined the way everything was put away, in alphabetical order and so neatly. Hakyeon was a little surprised, he didn’t really know what he had expected but this simply was beyond it. All the times he had imagined visiting Taekwoon’s house, never had he thought that it would because his sister set him up with the help of an old lady. Nor did he think that it would be under the circumstances that existed right now. While they were in the middle of a very confusing fight.

Hakyeon shuffled his feet, remember the last time he had actually spoken to Taekwoon he had been snapped at and given the most evil look he had ever seen.

It was a just under two months ago during lunch that Taekwoon had crushed Hakyeon’s spirit completely. Hakyeon found Taekwoon as he usually did – alone – and sat down next to him with his tray. He hadn’t even spoken when Taekwoon had glared at him, before returning his gaze to his book. By this time Hakyeon had already grown tired of trying to pursue Taekwoon’s voice, instead he just used Taekwoon as a sounding board. He didn’t really know if Taekwoon was paying him attention when he spoke to him, and honestly he didn’t mind. He liked talking, he liked having the option to talk without judgement. However, on this particular day, Taekwoon didn’t want to even pretend to listen. Half way through his speech about the last test they did, Taekwoon slammed his book shut and stood up looking down at Hakyeon with the most menacing gaze.

“Can you just shut up and leave me alone?!”

And then, as the weeks went on, Hakyeon began to listen to Taekwoon’s wish. At first he would sit silently next to Taekwoon during their lunch break only speaking to say hello, but when he received gazes that he couldn’t interpret, he stopped sitting with Taekwoon. Instead he would say good morning when Taekwoon arrived in class, but then, even that stopped. Leaving the two of them to go their separate ways.

“You can sit on my bed if you like…” Taekwoon whispers softly to Hakyeon, interrupting the thoughts that threatened tears to spill. Hakyeon simply nodded, unsure of what would happen if he spoke. It hurt too much to remember the words that Taekwoon had spoken to him.

Shut up and leave me alone!”

Breathing deeply, he sat down on the edge of the bed, still avoiding looking at Taekwoon. But Hakyeon could feel him sit next down on the bed next to him. And he could feel Taekwoon’s eyes on him. So he looked the other way, fiddling with his fingers in his lap.

Taekwoon sighed. He had done this to Hakyeon. He had made Hakyeon avoid him. He had cause Hakyeon to stop smiling.

At the time, when he had told Hakyeon to leave him alone, he had thought that was what he wanted. He thought that still as Hakyeon simply greeted him in the mornings. He had thought that until all interactions stopped. He had thought that he had wanted to be left alone to read in silence, to study alone in class and to just be silent. But as the interactions with Hakyeon had diminished… He started to feel lonely. He started to feel guilty.

As time went on, Taekwoon found himself – instead of reading – searching the cafeteria for Hakyeon during lunch. He found himself muttering apologies under his breath whenever he saw Hakyeon. Eventually he found himself silently wishing that Hakyeon would come up to him while he was eating lunch and start talking about utter nonsense.

But Hakyeon didn’t join him. Instead he flitted from one table of people to the next when he did make it to lunch, and when he wasn’t there, Taekwoon would search the school instead of the cafeteria. Sometimes, he would find Hakyeon on the roof, eating in silence, and at times like that he was hit with intense guilt. Intense sadness. Other times he would find Hakyeon in the classroom organising things, and he would simply watch the other working.

It was a terrible time for Taekwoon, he had no clue how to apologise, and he had no clue if he really wanted to sit with Hakyeon again if his apology was accepted. He just had no clue.

“You know… Your room isn’t what I thought it would be like…” Hakyeon mutters to Taekwoon, voice soft and lifeless. It goes straight through Taekwoon’s body like a knife and his internal chanting of ‘I’m sorry’ starts up again.

Taekwoon nods, and watches as Hakyeon continues to avoid looking at him.

They sit like that for what feels like an hour but is only ten minutes. Taekwoon – to both their surprise – is the first to do anything about the silence between them. It just slips out of his thoughts, escapes his lips and before he knows it, it’s in the air and Hakyeon has heard it.

“I’m sorry.”

Hakyeon is now looking at him, eyes wide and mouth slightly gaping. Taekwoon decides that, since he already started, he might as well finish everything. He might as well apologise for everything he has been thinking of for the past two months.

“I’m sorry for telling you to shut up. I am sorry for telling you to leave me alone. I’m sorry for glaring at you. I am sorry for hurting your feelings. I am sorry I snapped at you. I am sorry that I am a jerk. I’m sorry that I didn’t make an effort to get things back to normal. I am also sorry that you got conned into coming in here. And I am sorry that you look so miserable.” Taekwoon takes a deep breath, closing his eyes, “But most of all I am sorry, that I didn’t apologise earlier…”

It doesn’t take long for Hakyeon to smile. But Taekwoon doesn’t know. He still has his eyes shut, waiting for the worst. For Hakyeon to hit him. For Hakyeon to yell at him. For Hakyeon to call him all the names under the rainbow.

But, instead, Hakyeon just smiles wider before pushing Taekwoon lightly, encouraging him to open his eyes. In different circumstances, Hakyeon probably would have hit Taekwoon, more than likely would have sworn at him and yelled at him for not apologising sooner. But, for Hakyeon, Taekwoon was too precious for that. His voice was so gentle, so considerate, and so full of feelings that Hakyeon’s heart felt like it was going to burst.

By the time Taekwoon did open his eyes, he was already being held tight in a hug– something neither of them expected to happen. But, honestly, he didn’t mind too much, especially since it didn’t last that long.

“Thank you Taekwoon.” Hakyeon smiles.

Taekwoon shrugs, “As long as you’re okay…”

“That depends,” Hakyeon muses, “Are we friends now or am I still annoying?”

At this, Taekwoon smiles. “You’re the friend that annoys me, rather than that guy that pisses me off.”

 

A/N:: There we go~! Theyre finally friends! hahahaahaha after nine capters... 

I am so tired, I have just spent the past four days working on an assessment... But becaue I finished it I wrote this~! I hope you guys like it... It took all my remaning energy to write and I think it came out alright. Although, there were less flashback things than I expected... Although... Technically, Taekwoon basically does a lot of stuff in his "flash back scene" I dunno. It didn't go too fast did it...?

Anyway, have an awesome week thanks for reading and until next time <3