Jungkook

Hopeless Love

"Sweetie! You've got mail."

I ran downstairs immediately, because I rarely get mail. I was wondering from who it was, and why they would sent me something? 

"It's from.. Haneul."

"Haneul? Why would she sent me a letter if she lives across the street?" Mom shrugged and left the living room. I walked to the kitchen and opened the letter from Haneul, wondering if this was a sick joke of her. 

Dear Jungkook (and Jessi, if you're also reading this),

By the time you're reading this letter, I'm already on my way to my new college. I'm writing this letter to say; thank you for the lovely years of friendship that I will never forgot. I'm sorry for leaving you two without saying anything. I just couldn't bare hanging out with you two, while I'm basically in love with.. you. I wish I could have said it sooner, but since I didn't want to ruin your blossoming relationship, I didn't. I tried to hide my feelings and just live with it, but it all became too much. I wish you two a lovely and healthy relationship together. I backed off so you could live your lives a little better. I realized that I was just thirdwheeling all this time, so you two are way better off without me. 

Please don't try to contact me or look for me, as I have changed my phone number. Sorry again. I'm sure you two will be better off without me. 

You two will always stay in my heart,
Haneul
 

"Ha-haneul.."

I dropped the letter immediately and ran across the street, to Haneul's house. I knocked on the door furiously. "HANEUL! HANEUL!" No answer... Did she really leave? Why did she leave? Who told her that Jessi and I wanted to be in a relationship? Who told her that we like each other? Who told her to back off? All these questions flew around in my head and I couldn't focus on anything else, but Haneul. Our years of friendship meant so much to me.. I have never felt so happy in my life. Haneul meant the most to me, because she helped me through everything. She helped me through my suicidal period, she helped me with school, she helped me when I went through bad break-ups.. She was always there for me and I made her leave..

I feel like . I never knew I was distant to her.. I have liked her for the longest time, and now she comes with this? Why does the girl never talk about her feelings.. 

"MOM! Call Haneul's parents for me, please!"

"Okay, sweetie!" I let myself fall on the couch and lie down. I put my arm over my head and closed my eyes. This must be a dream.. She can't possibly be leaving.. There are so many things we still need to do together.. So many things we planned to do on our 19th birthday, which we share. 

"Here, it's Haneul's dad."

I took the phone from her, "Hello? Yes, it's Jungkook. Could you please tell me where Haneul is? I need to find her as soon as possible. She can't be leaving me.. She can't.."

"Listen, boy. She's liked you for a while now, and she couldn't bare seeing you and Jessi together like that. She left this morning and I'm not telling you anything else."

"But.. I don't like Jessi.. at all.. I like Haneul! I've always liked Haneul! Please believe me, I really need to find her.."

"I'm sorry, just live your life with Je- wait.. what did you say? You like my Haneul? WHY DID YOU NEVER TELL HER? YOU LEFT HER BROKEN HEARTED FOR THE LONGEST TIME!"

"I'm so so sorry.. I will tell her, once you tell me where she's heading."

"Okay, she's heading to University of Southern California. She left at 10AM this morning, so I'm sure they're not that far away. I'll call them and ask them where they are. You go pack or something, I'll text you in a minute."

"Thank you so much." I hung up, ran upstairs, threw clothes in a bag and ran outside. I jumped in my car and drove off to who-knows-where. Just in time, I received a text from Haneul's dad.

They're at a gasstation 30 minutes away from your house. Haneul isn't feeling well, so if you hurry, you might make it in time.

I sighed out of relief and rushed to a gasstation. Every gasstation I saw, I stopped. I checked the whole area, looking for Haneul. The first few gasstations were basically desserted. However, when I stopped at another gasstation and drove towards a certain car that looked like Haneul's mom's car, I stopped. I stopped about 5 meters away from their car. Haneul was sitting on the hood of the car, crying. Her mother was sitting next to her, comforting her. She was Haneul's back and whispering things in her ear. My heart broke and I couldn't do anything. I was scared to get out of the car. How do I approach her? Do I text her mom and ask her if she wants to leave for a moment? I came to a decision and texted Haneul's mom.

Hello, it's Jungkook. My car is parked about five meters away from yours and I would like to talk to Haneul. Would it be rude if I asked if you could leave for a few minutes? 

I patiently waited for a reply. I was biting my nails and looking at Haneul worriedly.

Of course, sweetie. Be careful, she's very sensitive right now. Her dad just texted me and told me everything. Go solve it and text me when you're done.

I smiled and put my phone in my pocket. I parked behind their car and got out of my car. Haneul's mother left Haneul and went into the gasstation, while I slowly approached Haneul. I joined her on the hood and put my arm around her. She immediately looked up and was about to run away, when she saw me. fell open and she froze. Nothing came out of .. 

"Haneul.. we need to talk."

"No, we don't. What are you doing here? Please leave," she said, quickly wiping away her tears. 

"No no no, please listen. It's really important. Sit down." She hesitantly sat down and looked everywhere, but at me. I could see that she was listening, though, so I started talking.

"I got your letter, I've read it and I immediately rushed here. I just wanted to say that whatever you think is a huge misunderstanding. I have never liked Jessi and I never will. I've always liked you. You are the only person I think of when I wake up, and when I go to sleep. I just thought you were distancing yourself from me, so I didn't make a move on you. You have to understand me, I do not like Jessi." She sat there, quiet as ever. She blinked a few times and a few teardrops fell. It broke my heart to see her like this, but I didn't dare to hug her..

"You've liked me.. this whole time.. and you never told me?"

"I know, I'm really sorry.."

"You made me sign up for another school.. you.. you broke my heart without even rejecting me.."

"I'm so sorry. I just thought you were the one that didn't like me, because you distanced yourself from me.."

"I have always liked you. Always."

I smiled and held both of her hands, "Would you like to be my girlfriend then? We can start all over and forget this ever happened."

"I c-can't.. I got accepted to USC.."

"You can call them and tell them you changed your mind. Please.. don't leave town just because of me.."

"O-okay, I accept to be your girlfriend.. BUT.."

"What?"

"Nothing, there's no but," she smiled. Her smile made my heart skip a beat. It felt like the clouds disappeared and the sun shone brighter as ever. Her smile made my day a whole lot better. I leaned forward and kissed her on the lips. It was a passionate one and I could feel a tear from her, on my cheek. When we both pulled away, her smile was bigger than it was before, which I didn't even know was possible. How blessed am I to have her in my life.