Chapter 1

Wedding Dress

It should have been me. It should have been me waiting for her under that wooden arbor. Not him. Smiling in anticipation as she was walking down the aisle. She was suppose to be my lady.

 I watched in agony as she was slowly drifting away from me and into the arms of my best friend, Kwon Jiyong. He takes her hand into his as her dad let her go. Their eyes sparkling for the other in promising whispers. They both turned to the priest, who looked down at his Bible and started reading the marriage vows for the couple to repeat back to the other.

"I, Kwon Jiyong, take you, Dara, to be my lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death to us part . . ." I slightly shook my head in denial praying this was a bad dream. I closed my eyes as I heard Dara repeat her vows back.

I wanted to scream from where I sat. "No! I'm the one who've been in love with you for a long time!"

"And if anyone opposes this union, please speak now or forever hold your peace." I bit onto my tongue and clenched my fist. 

"In the goodness of the Lord and by the powers vested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride." 

The clapping from the crowd was deafening to my ears. I looked down at the piano keys feeling my heart tearing apart. Trying to contain my tears from breaking out. Glancing back up the kiss was over and they both were turned towards me. Dara raised her bouquet encouraging me to start playing. I sang with all my heart, "Our love was meant to be and always will forever . . . I always see you when I close my eyes, you're always on my mind.

When I finished they smiled and clapped as the crowd followed behind. I smiled back, but it quickly vanished when they turned away. They walked down the aisle once again but this time everybody was clapping louder and cheering. Everyone was cheering as the newlyweds walked down the aisle. The crowd began to throw white rose petals into the air as they fell onto the bride and groom. I watched from a distance as family and friends were congratulating them. As for me, I couldn't bring myself to congratulate them because the feeling of loss and sorrow weighted heavily down on my heart was too much to bear. I had to get away from here. I can't stay here any longer.

Before I left through the church doors, I look back one last time getting a good look of the happy newlyweds. I silently whispered, "Goodbye, my love. I hope you have a happy life with Jiyong . . ." Turning away, I let the door close behind me. 

I started out as a jog and turned into a full on run. It was hard to face the painful reality that I lost the love of my life to my own best friend. The friend I trustiest the most in this world betrayed me. Why didn't he tell me he had feelings for her as well? I was a fool to put too much trust into someone that took away the only person I ever had feelings for. And he knew I was in love with her. It was so obvious.

When I made it back home I immediately started packing my remaining belongings and tucked away my plane ticket into my back pocket. My fingers began to tremble while failing to wipe away the tears when I felt my legs give out on me. I ignored the pain coming from my knees and rested my head on the couch. The choking of my sobs echoed throughout the room.

"Why-y?" I sobbed, "How could everything end up like this?" In the deepest part of me, I selfishly wished that they lived a miserable life.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt a brush against my arm. I jerked my head up and met a pair of dark black orbs that stared back at mine. I cracked out a small smile by the sight of my beloved dog. "Hey there Boss," I gently caressed his small head which gave me a little comfort, but that dull heaviness still lingered. I in a shaky breath and whispered, "I better finish up." Standing up while picking up Boss and placing him inside his pet carrier. Before I turned away I caught a glimpse of confusion appearing across his face. I gave out a tight smile and said, "We're leave boy."

I glanced around my old apartment feeling the emptiness sinking in. Then there was that moment of hesitation I felt, but it already too late to back out now. Shaking off the feeling and continued packing. After I finished packing and changed into different clothes. I walked towards the door with my luggage and carrier in hand. I turn back and stared at the empty apartment. Bittersweet memories began to mocking me as I glanced around the room. Pulling the door open I held my place in the doorway while I grasped onto the doorknob. I shut my eyes feeling another wave of tears wanting to escape. I wagged my head and reopened my eyes staring straight ahead and proceeded forward as I gently shut the door behind me. 

- Don't forget to comment! -