Ours

Ours

 

He hadn’t meant to fall asleep, even though he’d promised he would. That night Taemin had been reluctant to climb into bed, grumbling to himself because it was only 10:30 and he could definitely stay up until it was supposed to show. The only reason he did end up stripping down and slipping under his covers was because Minho insisted on it.

 

Make sure you get enough rest before so you don’t sleep through it, he’d said through a text. I’ll message you anyway, just in case, ok?

 

Taemin was sure that wouldn’t be necessary, yet there he was, lying in the dark, squinting at the bright screen of his phone trying to read the time and what Minho had just sent him.

 

Are you up already? It’s supposed to look the best in 10 minutes

 

I’m up now, thanks
I’ll be out in a few

 

Once Taemin was able to rid himself of heavy grogginess, he sat up and hugged his warm blankets tightly for a few moments before finally pushing them away. He threw his legs over the side of his bed and got up. He instantly felt goosebumps form on his limbs and climb to his bare chest.

 

Leaving the light off, he shuffled over to where he’d left a shirt and a pair of sweats and matching hoodie and shrugged them on. He pocketed his phone and moved to the door.

 

Taemin twisted the knob slowly, and despite his best efforts to stay silent, the hinges squealed with every slight push. He grimaced at the high pitched noise and fought the urge to curse between his teeth until he was able to get out to the hallway. He paused for a few seconds, tilting his head to peer across the corridor to make sure no one had been woken up.

 

Relieved at the stillness of the house, he allowed himself to snort at the snoring soul he bet was his brother.

 

Taemin spun on the balls of his feet and tip-toed away. He stopped next to the kitchen where he’d left his shoes and put them on before sneaking out the back door. He balled his fist and whispered a triumphant ‘yes’ when this one didn’t make any noise.

 

Once outside, he checked his phone again and saw two messages from the older boy.

 

It’s almost time

Are you seeing it?

 

 

Taemin stepped away from the house and went to the middle of the yard where he could see the open sky.

 

He craned his neck so that he was facing directly upward, and was immediately stunned by the sight: endless twinkling stars across a clear navy blue sky; a brilliant blanket that seemed deliberately decorated for the large red moon that was situated in the center of it all like a rose in full bloom among baby’s breath.

 

Taemin gasped as he couldn’t recall the last time he had seen that in the suburbs. For a view like that, one would have to drive to the countryside during the summer. And even then, it wouldn’t be as breathtaking.

 

He directed his attention to his phone and excitedly sent Minho his reply.

 

Yes! It’s unreal !

 

Minho replied instantly, making it clear that he was laughing at the younger boy’s reaction.

 

It’s almost there

Maybe a few more minutes??

 

Maybe

 

The two took some time for themselves to continue watching the lunar eclipse.

 

The air was cool and despite it being nearly 2 in the morning, the sound of light traffic could be heard beyond the low fences. No doubt other people were awake to watch the sky.

 

A cricket’s shrill song called Taemin’s attention back to his location.

 

He crossed his arms tightly and surveyed the small yard. He hoped none of the neighborhood cats were stalking him and that the still shadows weren’t hiding anything.

 

A tiny knot of nervousness formed in his gut, but he didn’t let himself get frightened. On another night he might’ve ran back inside without a second thought, but not this time. The night was serene, and he wasn’t alone. Not really.

 

He lifted his phone to send another message.

 

Thanks minho

 

He waited for his answer.

 

No problem. I knew I’d have to wake you lol

 

Yeah whatever…

 

I’m glad you did this with me

 

He glanced back up at the moon and smiled, a small curve on his face like the thin silver crescent that remained.

 

Me too

 

Within moments, the spotted face of moon was completely tinted in a fiery red, and Taemin gazed at it in awe.

 

Woahh

 

It’s beautiful

 

Yeah

 

Almost as beautiful as you

 

Taemin’s smile grew and he shook his head as he reread the text.

 

Most of his friends called Minho cheesy for this sort of thing, even weird, but Taemin knew him well enough to know that his words were sincere. It was romantic, and he liked it. He liked him.

 

It would take a lot for him to admit that though.

 

You’re sweet lol

 

He hesitated briefly before adding: I wish we could watch this together

 

We are

In a way…

 

Taemin chuckled quietly while he received another message.

 

I know what you mean though

 

Yeah. I would really give anything to be with you right now.

 

He read what he’d typed over and over again without hitting 'send’. He wanted to tell him that, but he couldn’t bring himself to do it.

 

He deleted everything but the first word.

 

Taemin put his hands in his pockets and stared up at the eclipse. He watched the color slowly slide across the moon and he imagined Minho doing the same. Feeling alert in the stillness of the night, being humbled under the immensity of the sky, and trying to relieve the ache in his neck and the ache in his heart.

 


 

A/N: I'm still alive just not updating my main stories ahaaa I hope you liked this^^