The New Kid

As Bitter As Coffee

"Work is over! Finally a break~!" Hakyeon cheered
"Good for you... I still got a stupid assignment to finish." I said with an annoyed tone in my voice knowing the little free time I had, now would be spent on homework
"Well that’s your own fault." He said petting me on the shoulder before taking his jacket of the coat rack.
"Hyung, Can I copy your work?".

I looked up at Hakyeon who looked at me, arms crossed while holding his jacket in his hand.

"Seriously Wonsik? You've ask me this so many times that I lost count." he started to nag "You should take more responsibilities of your own work. You're here to learn and pass exams."
"I know… but only this once... I’m begging you. Hakyeon-hyung you know how much that teacher hates me." I begged him.

I know he was right, I should take more responsibilities for my homework, especially my English homework. It’s just that I don't like that subject... The teacher "Mrs. Picking Favorites" , Okay that isn't her real name but I always called her like that. It was really obiously who was the teachers pet and who wasn't. And beside those two reasons why I never made my Engilish homework is because I'm just not good at this subject. So what else am I supposed to do?

"I’m sorry but I can't, she will suspect it. Beside that you didn’t even make one of your assignments this period yourself. How do you think you will pass the exam? You know miracles doesn’t happy. And beside that we had to write a report about an English book we had to read."
"Argh... fine… I’ll make it myself"

I let out a sigh, as I took my jacket and put it on. We both walked out through the back door. some other colleagues had taken over our shift so we were able to leave.

After a while we both went to another way. We aren’t roommates but too be honest I had no idea if I should be happy or sad about that, knowing that his former roommate had moved to another room when it was available. Ever since he had a room for his own, but this morning he told me he would meet his new roommate today. I wonder how long it last until his new roommate becomes insane of his personality. Only a few people could handle that. I’m one of those few people and yet I still get exhausted from his socializing. Only our friend, Jaehwan  who has some classes with  Hakyeon seems to be the only one who doesn’t get tired of him.

I typed in the code to my room. Walking in I saw my roommate Sanghyuk sitting on his bed looking through a book.

"Forgot to learn for your exam?" I asked dropping my lunch I bought on my way to the dorm on the desk.
"Can you be quiet I’m trying to learn those darn countries with their weird capital cities and stupid culture for geography." he said annoyed
"Okay, okay, relax I won't say anything." I said sitting down behind my desk starting up my laptop.

He could be so rude to his hyungs when he was studying for an exam. I always just let him be when he acts like that to me. I don’t want to get into a fight with him or something. I actually always hope he will pass or else he would be complaining he can't go out and that he doesn't have money because his parents cut off his credit card whenever he doesn’t pass. It happens once before, the poor kid was lying down on his bed all day long doing nothing but endlessly complain. Guess that in that case Hakyeon wouldn't be a worse roommate.

"Sound off" Sanghyuk said without looking up from his book. When he heard the sound my laptop always makes when starting up.
"Sorry." I said

I took my lunch as quiet as possible out of the bag before taking a bite of it and starting up Internet. I typed down the name of the book I should had read and added 'book report' at the end of the search tags. There was no time left for me to read a book and write a report about it. All I could do now was copy a book report from the internet, change it a bit and pray for a passing grade.

“See you have forgotten your English homework again” Sanghyuk said after a while. I turned around, seeing him standing behind me. “Why are you making it yourself? Couldn’t you just copy it from Hakyeon-hyung?”
“He wouldn’t let me copy it.”
“That ” He said letting out a laugh
“Why don’t you just go study some more before mommy and daddy cut of your credit card again?” I said annoyed, seriously this kid sometimes
“Shut up.” he said and walked away, probably to continue studying

We do like each other, I mean we are great friends but sometimes he’s just annoying and he probably thinks exactly the same about me. Sanghyuk is the kind of student who doesn’t gives a damn about school, his parents pay for everything and he can do whatever he wants but only when he keep on getting passing grades. So he most likely do nothing in his classes and just studies really hard when he has an exam. So you could say he is really enjoying his twenties, when it comes to parting and then to think he isn’t in his twenties for that long.

me not being so lucky as Sanghyuk, I have to pay everything by myself and get passing grades so I won’t get kicked out of school and also because I don’t want to hear my parents nag about it, saying I can’t do anything and I'm just a lazy pig. So I didn’t really have another choose than focusing on school even though I forget my assignments from time to time. Maybe I should start to learn how to plan or something.

Time passed by and it was already time to leave the dorm and to head to my first class of the day. I closed my laptop after I printed out my assignment. It probably wasn’t  that great but let’s hope it would be enough to get a passing grade. I took my bag and put all my books and other stuff I need to get through the day in it.

“I gotta go now, see you later.” I said as I put on my jacket and swung my bag on my shoulders
“See you later.” Sanghyuk said looking a little up from his book
“Good luck with you exam.”
“Thanks, you good luck with 'Mrs. Picking favorites'.”
“Thanks” With that I walked out of the dorm, leaving Sanghyuk behind. The walk wasn’t that long but I always left early just in case.

As I walked into the class Hakyeon was already there sitting in the back of the classroom on his usual spot, keeping my usual spot next to him free for me. Holding his hand up as he greeted me.

“And did you finish it?” He asked as I took my seat next to him.
“Yes I did.” I said and pulled the assignment out of my bag
“You used the internet didn’t you?”
“What else would you think I would use? There is no way I could finish that book and write a report about it in two hours”

Hakyeon let out a sign, shaking his head before opening his mouth but couldn’t say anything since the teacher just walked into class.

“As some of you might already knew, today there will be a new student joining us” she started “Please welcome, Jung Taekwoon.”

All eyes were on the guy that walked in. He looked familiar, but I wasn’t sure. It was then when I felt an elbow poking into my side, chasing me to jump on my chair.

“Hey, that’s the guy who ordered coffee around ten in the morning.” Hakyeon whispered
“He is? That’s why he looks familiar.” I whispered

I then look back to the guy, he was staring at me. I should be happy that glares can’t kill or else I already would have died.