Awkward

Awkward

"Yesung-hyung, what are you doing?"

Something landed right beside him on the bed and pulled out his earplugs, causing Yesung’s eyes to fly open. He quickly looked to his left and found Donghae’s big brown eyes staring back at him, their faces about 10 cm apart. Surprised, he yanked his head back, hitting the wall with a thud. He crunched over, both hands covering the bump that was forming on the back of his head and cursed under his breath. Donghae looked at him with big eyes until something caught his attention.

“What were you listening to, hyung?” he asked curiously, and reached for the iPod lying in Yesung’s lap. Yesung straightened in shock and he snatched the iPod and hid it behind his back before Donghae could react.

“N-nothing special,” he answered, hating himself for stammering, and Donghae’s look changed from surprised to suspicious.

“Then why are you hiding it?” he countered, inching closer. Yesung backed away as Donghae came closer, still keeping his iPod behind him.

“I-I’m not?”

Donghae just stared at him for a second before he launched himself at him, and Yesung squeaked in surprise. Just as Donghae was about to get his hands on the object in question, the bedroom door opened again, and both of them turned to find Eunhyuk standing there, looking at them with his eyebrows raised. Donghae immediately bounced toward him.  

“Hyukkie! Yesung-hyung is hiding something on his iPod, he won’t show it to me!” he exclaimed and Yesung swallowed when Eunhyuk’s eyes started to glitter.

“Really?” he asked, and Yesung could’ve sworn that the Anchovy looked dangerous for a second, but before any of them could make a move, two slaps resonated in the room. Yesung lifted his eyes to find Leeteuk standing behind the pair.

“Hyyyung! What did you do that for?”

Leeteuk looked at his dongsaengs as they whined and rubbed their heads.

“Don’t bother Yesung,” he sighed, and the pair of them pouted. “Did you forget what you came here for?”

Donghae clapped his hands together and spun around to face his other hyung.

“That’s right! Yesung-hyung, we’re watching a movie in the other dorm and we were gonna ask if you wanted to watch it with us!”

“… Sure?” Yesung answered hesitantly, and Donghae suddenly bounced forward and gave him a hug before grabbing Eunhyuk again.

“Hyukkie! Let’s go ask Shindongie-hyung and Sungminnie-hyung!” he shouted excitedly, and then the pair of them was gone again.

Yesung stared after them for a few second before he sighed, relieved, and went over to put his iPod in a special case inside his drawer. He’d forgotten the leader was still there until a hand landed on his shoulder.

“Yesung-ah … don’t you think it’s about time soon?” he asked quietly, and Yesung could feel his cheeks getting warmer though he was still standing with his back towards him. When no answer came, Leeteuk sighed again, and moved towards the door.

“Come upstairs if you want to, we’re watching Titanic again.”

With that, he disappeared, and Yesung took an extra minute calming his heart and letting his face turn back to its normal color before following him.

------> ♥♥♥

Squeezed in between Donghae and Eunhyuk on one side, and Ryeowook and Kyuhyun on the other side, on the originally-only-meant-for-four-people-couch, Yesung once again wondered why he’d said yes.

Donghae and Eunhyuk were bouncing excitedly on one side of him while Ryeowook was quietly sniffling on the other (why their eternal magnae was crying already he didn’t know), and the fact that there was only one person between himself and him made it almost impossible for Yesung to focus on the movie. He would try to watch the film, but he could almost feel him next to him and it was, mildly put, distracting. He’d attacked the bowl of popcorn in an attempt to direct his attention somewhere else, but once it was empty, and he’d gotten scolded by Heechul for eating it all, his eyes automatically drifted towards him.

As the car-scene started, he glanced towards the left, and caught Leeteuk’s eyes. The leader lifted an eyebrow and gave him a look, and Yesung quickly looked back to the TV. Trying to keep his blush from spreading, he sat perfectly still with his eyes on the screen for several minutes. But he still couldn’t keep his attention on the movie, and only a short amount of time had passed before he tried to sneak another glance toward the left. This time, however, he caught the attention of someone neither as discreet nor as sensitive as Leeteuk.

“Yesung-hyung? You keep looking towards Kyuhyunnie. Does he have something on his face?” Donghae asked, his voice just loud enough to get the attention of every. damn. person in the room.

Yesung jolted as if someone had poked him with something red-hot, and turned to stare wide-eyed at the innocent face of the Fish sitting next to him. Donghae stared back at him, his eyes questioning and Eunhyuk looking at him from behind Donghae’s back. Even Heechul and Shindong who were sitting on the other side of Donghae and Eunhyuk, turned to look at him.

It was completely silent for a few seconds, even the movie moving to a quiet part, and Yesung couldn’t think of one single thing to say. His mind was completely blank and he was getting more and more desperate to find something to say. Then their magnae broke the silence.

“Did you say I have something on my face?” he said questioningly, his hands going up to see if he could feel anything. Yesung could feel his cheeks getting hotter by the second.

“N-no, you don’t. I j-just though I saw something,” he stammered, cursing himself for not being able to even say two lines smoothly. He could feel his himself starting to tear, and bit his lip.

“I-I’m just gonna go to the bathroom,” he mumbled, leaving the room as fast as he could. Seven pair of eyes followed him as he practically dashed towards the door; one annoyed, five with varying degrees of resignation and one confused. Two pair of eyes never left the screen again.

-----> ♥♥♥

What felt like hours later, but probably was only about 15 minutes, Yesung felt a hand gently pat his back, and he didn’t need to look up to know who it was. He just sniffled softly, and hugged his pillow even tighter. They stayed like that for a few minutes, Yesung not yet ready so say anything and the other person just waiting patiently. It was Yesung that spoke first, unable to take the silence any longer.

“H-he k-knows, and h-he’s gonna h-hate me,” he hiccupped, dragging an arm over his face trying to wipe away the tears.

“He doesn’t know and he certainly won’t hate you anyway,” Leeteuk sighed and pushed the other’s arm away. He took Yesung’s face in his hands and used his thumbs to wipe away most of the tears, before he took the tip of his shirt and carefully patted away the rest on the younger man’s cheeks. Yesung sniffled again and looked at him.

“Really?”

New tears were already forming in his dark eyes, but Leeteuk could see he was trying to hold them in. He fought to keep away the smile that was trying to take over his face. Looking down at the man only one year his junior, he had a hard time believe he was actually the group’s fourth oldest.

 Hearing Yesung sniffle again, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a box of Kleenex and put it down on the bedside table. Turning around while Yesung blew his nose, Leeteuk’s eyes automatically swiped around the room and he almost rolled his eyes. Yesung’s room was filled with objects that looked so normal, but that just screamed ‘obvious’ if you knew.

Turning back towards the younger man, who was still laying there hugging his pillow, Leeteuk smiled a little when he saw how Yesung had made a space for him on the bed. He slid down beside him, and Yesung turned around to face him. Knowing what would come next, Leeteuk sent one last thought to the cup of coffee waiting for him in the other dorm, then closed his eyes as Yesung wrapped his arms around him and rested his head on the leaders chest.

When Yesung finally fell asleep after an hour or two, Leeteuk sneaked out of the room only to bump into Heechul who was standing right outside. Not saying anything, Heechul just gave him the coffee he was holding, and turned around to walk away.

“Thanks,” Leeteuk whispered, just loud enough for him to hear. Heechul stopped and looked over his shoulder.

“You should stop pampering him.”

Leeteuk watched as Heechul disappeared, and with one last glance at the closed door, he went upstairs as well.

-----> ♥♥♥

When Yesung woke up the next day, it was only because Ryeowook kept on poking him and calling his name. He tried to pull the cover over his head to drown out the nagging, only to have Ryeowook suddenly announce he’d get Kyuhyun to come and wake him up if he didn’t get up this minute, and Yesung was out of the bed in less than four seconds. Confused, he stood swaying in the middle of his room, looking at Ryeowook who was smiling at him.

“That’s good. Now come eat breakfast,” the eternal magnae said cheerfully, then turned around and left.

Still staring at the place Ryeowook had been standing, it took Yesung a good full minute before he could get his brain to work. When he finally got back to his senses, he hurriedly got dressed and almost ran to the kitchen.

Ryeowook … did he know? No, he couldn’t know. He hadn’t told anyone but Leeteuk, and the leader had swore not to tell anyone. But then what …? Entering the kitchen, he snapped out of his thoughts when he saw who were there. Sungmin looked up from his cereal and smiled at him.

“Good morning Yesung-hyung. Slept well?”

Yesung could only nod in respons, his eyes stuck to the back of the guy sitting at the end of the table, totally lost in his game. After a few seconds, Kyuhyun suddenly looked up and right at the older man.

“Yesung-hyung. Morning.”

Feeling his cheeks getting warmer, Yesung his heels and fled back to his bedroom. Closing the door behind him, he threw himself down onto his bed. The younger singer’s stare was too much to handle this early in the morning. Grabbing his big turtle-plushy, he hugged it tight and burrowed his face into it, letting the blush take over his cheeks.

Back in the kitchen, Kyuhyun stared after his hyung for a few seconds before shrugging his shoulders and moving to the living room to continue his game. Yesung probably remembered something he had to do, there was nothing strange about it. Sungmin turned around to look at Ryeowook, who looked like he wanted to face-palm. He caught Sungmin’s gaze and they shared a look before both of them sighed.

“He’s really innocent, isn’t he?” Sungmin said quietly and shook his head. Ryeowook turned all the plates on the stove off before sitting down in the chair across from Sungmin.

“He’s not really acting his age,” he continued and Ryeowook raised his eyebrows.

“Not acting his age? He’s acting like five years old,” the eternal magnae answered, head resting on the table. Sungmin chuckled. Then he glanced over at Kyuhyun.

“Well, we have another totally obvious person here, so I guess it’s not only him.”

Ryeowook followed Sungmin’s eyes and his lips tilted upwards at the tips.

“A match made in heaven, aren’t they?” he commented, and they both laughed. But then Ryeowook turned serious.

 But seriously, it’s only a question of time before Kyuhyunnie start noticing how weird Yesungie-hyung is acting. What happens then? It’ll probably affect the whole group.”

Sungmin furrowed his brows and rested his head in his hand. They were silent for a few seconds.


“I guess the best would be for Yesung-hyung to ‘fess up, but that happening is about as likely as Donghae never crying again. Or that Eunhyuk will stop drinking strawberry milk.”

They both shared another chuckle at the thought of that happening. Standing up and walking over to the sink to put his bowl in the dishwasher, Sungmin turned around and smiled.

“But that doesn’t mean we can’t try, does it?”

-----> ♥♥♥

“Yesungie-hyung, come sit over here with me!”

He didn’t know what to do. He didn’t want to refuse their eternal magnae, but he didn’t really want to sit over there either. He looked from the empty seat right in front of him, between Shindong and Leeteuk, and over towards the empty seat beside Ryeowook and him.

“Hyung, come on!” Ryeowook whined, and Yesung couldn’t think of one good reason to refuse.

Keeping his eyes on the floor as he walked over to the magnaes, he missed the look Sungmin and Ryeowook shared, or Leeteuk’s raised eyebrow. Sliding into his chair, he leaned slightly away from Kyuhyun and angled his head so that his bangs covered his face. Ryeowook looked at the way Yesung kept twisting his hands and fiddled with the hem of his shirt, never looking up from his lap, and fought back a smile. His hyung was nothing if not totally obvious. Sharing another glance with Sungmin, they both stood up and grabbed Eunhyuk, who was sitting on the other side of Kyuhyun.

“Eunhyukkie(-hyung), help us carry the dishes out, okay?” they chirped cheerfully. Before the dancer had any chance to protest, he was already being dragged towards the kitchen. Donghae, who’d been sitting on Eunhyuk’s other side, sprang up.

“I’ll help too!” he announced happily, and bounced towards the kitchen after the trio. Realizing he was “alone” with Kyuhyun, Yesung felt his face starting to heat up. After a few seconds, Kyuhyun looked up from his game and took a look around. He spotted Yesung sitting next to him and putting his game down, he reached forward with one hand.

“Are you okay, Yesung-hyung? Your face is red.” He sneaked his hand under Yesung’s bangs and put it on the older singer’s forehead.
“And you’re really warm. Yesung-hyung, are you sick?” Kyuhyun moved his hand to Yesung’s cheek to see if that was warm as well. Jerking back, Yesung almost fell off his chair before he quickly stood up.

“I-I’ll just go to the bathroom,” he mumbled, leaving the room as fast as he could. Kyuhyun blinked. Didn’t that seem familiar? Hearing something hit the table, he looked across it and to the left to see Heechul with his head on the wooden surface.

“I swear, that guy is …” he started, stopping when Leeteuk put his hand on his shoulder. Exhaling roughly, he sat back in his chair and crossed his arms. Leeteuk sighed quietly beside him.

Ryeowook went to look for Yesung when he still hadn’t come back when all food was on the table, only to come back with resignation written all over his face, and the message that Yesung said he wasn’t hungry and wouldn’t come out of his room.

-----> ♥♥♥

Over the next few days, Yesung became more and more awkward around their magnae, and even Kyu himself was starting to notice. He tried asking his hyung about it several times, but Yesung fled the room every time. When Yesung began to turn around and leave the room as soon as he spotted the other singer, Kyuhyun felt hurt. And no matter what he tried to do, Yesung still wouldn’t talk to him.

All the other members seemed either angry or mad, or both. Heechul kept cursing the “idiotic, stupid turtle-lover!” while Leeteuk tried to calm him down. Walking past Leeteuk’s bedroom once, Kyuhyun had overheard their leader asking Kangin what he was supposed to do with their main singer, but he still didn’t know what it was about as Leeteuk closed the door when he spotted him. Finally deciding he’d had enough, he walked over to his hyung’s room one evening when Leeteuk was still away doing Sukira. Taking a deep breath, he knocked lightly on the door.
“What do you want?” was the annoyed reply.

“Just want to talk to you,” he answered, not really affected by the hostile response he’d gotten. A few second later, Heechul opened his door, and they stared at each other for a moment before Heechul stepped aside to let him in. Heechul plopped back down into his office chair while Kyuhyun sat at the end of the bed.

“So, spit it out. What did you want to talk about?” Heechul asked, going back to his game. Kyuhyun watched him for a minute or two before he opened his mouth.

“Yesung-hyung is avoiding me.”

Heechul let out a short laugh. “Wonder what made you think that,” he said sarcastically, still with his eyes glued on his computer screen.

“I don’t know why.” Kyuhyun watched as Heechul pressed pause and spun around in his chair to face him, his normally calm hyung looking shocked.

“Please tell me you’re kidding?” he asked incredulously. Kyuhyun shook his head and watched silently as Heechul face-palmed.

“You two are really …” he mumbled. He straightened and looked the younger man in the eyes. “I expected more from you, but you’re still young I guess.”

He sighed. “So, you have no idea why Yesung runs away when he sees you?”

Kyuhyun shook his head again.

“Hmm … Leeteuk made me I promise I wouldn’t tell you, but I guess a few hints wouldn’t hurt.”

Heechul smirked and Kyuhyun furrowed his brows. Leeteuk knew and had made Heechul promise not to tell him? Well, whatever, Heechul’s hints used to be pretty obvious so he’d know soon enough. Leaning forward and supporting himself on his elbows, Heechul locked gazes with the magnae.

“Pay attention to how the turtle-lover acts when you’re near him. Touch his arm, his hair, whisper in his ear or whatever, just stay close to him and watch how he reacts.”

Kyuhyun looked at his hyung. confused. Touch his arm? his hair? Whisper… Something clicked, and Kyuhyun eyes widened for a split second. Then he raised an eyebrow towards Heechul.

“Really? That’s the reason he’s been acting like that?” he asked, doubtful. Heechul just leaned forward and patted his head.

“I knew you were a smart boy,” he said, almost fondly, then spun around in his chair to face his computer again. “Now get out so I can focus on my game.”

Brows furrowed, Kyuhyun stood up and headed towards the door. Just as he put his hand on the handle, Heechul’s voice interrupted his thoughts.

“And you should also check out his red iPod if you ever get the chance.”

Knowing Heechul didn’t expect an answer, Kyuhyun just opened the door and stepped outside into the hallway. Closing the door gently behind him and heading towards his own room, he felt a grin take over his face.

So that was why …

-----> ♥♥♥

Yesung kept his eyes closed as he listened to the rest of the members leave. He snuggled further into his pillow, and let out a deep breath as the door closed. He was alone.

He had unexpectedly gotten the day off, his manager saying that he needed to rest his throat, and he hadn’t argued. Neither had Leeteuk when he'd told him. Not only did he get to stay at home and do nothing, but he knew all the other members had schedules, including him. That meant he could take his time and relax, not worrying about bumping into him for several hours. He needed that.  

Starting a few days ago, their magnae had suddenly started gluing himself to him, no matter how hard Yesung tried to avoid him. And he had started to touch him. Kyuhyun seemed to do it as often as possible, running a hand through the older singer's hair, his back, patting his thigh, hugging him, you name it, and it was driving Yesung crazy. If things continued like this, he was afraid his heart may not be able to take it, and he would die early from a heart attack.

Reaching over to his bed-side table, he dug out his special iPod and put the earplugs in his ears, before he laid back into the bed and closed his eyes. He was gonna enjoy this time off as much as possible.

---

Having turned the volume as loud as he could take, Yesung didn’t hear the door when it creaked open about half an hour later. The person walked into the room calmly, stopping by the bed and looking down at the person lying there. Grinning widely, he stood there for several minutes before he leaned down and carefully blew on the other’s face. As Yesung bolted upright in the bed, he took the opportunity and snatched the iPod without the owner noticing. As Yesung turned towards him, eyes wide, he picked up one of the dangling earplugs and put it in his ear, starting to hum when he realized what song the older singer had been listening to. Unlocking the iPod, he scrolled down the list and raised his eyebrow.

“Well, this is interesting.” He smirked and turned towards Yesung. “Is there anything you want to tell me, hyung?”

Kyuhyun smiled at the shocked look on Yesung's face. He was pretty sure he could hear the other's heart beat like crazy, and the red that was starting to take over his hyung's cheeks looked really good on him, the younger singer noted. Actually, everything about Yesung was good, Kyuhyun corrected himself. He wasn't really sure how he hadn't noticed it earlier, but he sure had gotten his eyes opened about that.

All the skinship he'd done to his hyung over the last few days had been both funny and rewarding. Paying attention to Yesung's every reaction, Kyuhyun had come to the conclusion that his hyung was freakin' adorable. The way he reacted to his touches, the way he looked when there was something he wasn't able to do, how he acted when he was bored, and, Kyuhyun thought, the most important thing. Looking at Yesung when he'd smiled, really smiled, had made butterflies flutter in his belly, and he'd had to remind himself that Yesung was one of the oldest members in the group.

Hearing some sort of sound from the singer, he returned to the present, and he almost crooned as he laid his eyes on the other's face. Yesung was just looking damn squishable with his distressed face and red cheeks. Stepping closer, Kyuhyun felt his grin widen when Yesung scooted farther onto the bed, away from him. He was gonna have so much fun ~


Yesung's eyes widened as his back hit the wall. Kyuhyun kept coming closer, and was even on the bed with him now, and he had nowhere to go. He looked to his right, hoping he could bolt for the door before the magnae caught up with him, but just as he was about to throw himself forward, something blocked his route, and he looked to find Kyuhyun on his knees before him, the other singer's arms on each side of his head, caging him. Yesung blinked a few times before the panic hit him. He was trapped! Turning his head from side to side, he suddenly went completely still when he felt Kyuhyun's breath on his face. He closed his eyes when he sensed the younger man lean even closer, praying to every god he knew of to let Kyuhyun go away without noticing his red cheeks.

"You look so pretty when you blush."

Whispered directly into his ear, the deep voice made Yesung tremble, his hair standing on edge and his toes curling. Well damn, there went that wish, now he was just hoping the magnae would leave. As another gust of hot air hit his ear, he knew he wasn't even that lucky.

"So, about my earlier question," Kyuhyun whispered slowly. "Is there something you would like to tell me, now that we're the only ones here?"

Yesung squeezed his eyes closed even harder, barely breathing. He was desperately trying to think of something to say, but having the younger male so close made his mind go blank. After a minute of silence, Kyuhyun chuckled low in his throat.

"Really? There is nothing?" He paused for a second, as if considering. “But you see, I'm very curious about your behaviour during the past few weeks, as well as this thing I recently discovered," he murmured, voice teasing. "Could you explain this to me, please?"

Yesung opened his eyes when something was dropped into his lap, but only blushed harder when he noticed it was his red iPod - "Hope Is A Dream That Never Sleeps" still playing on repeat. He reached forward to pick it up, but stopped halfway and started twisting his fingers nervously instead.

"W-well," he stammered, not really knowing what to do. He wanted to curse himself for not being able to talk properly, but his brain was too busy trying to think of something he could say. He almost sighed in relief when something finally popped into his mind.

"I l-like your voice?" The supposed-to-be-a-statement turned into a question, and Kyuhyun raised his brows, amusement shimmering in his eyes before it turned into something else, something darker.

"Oh really?" He chuckled, leaning in closer towards Yesung, who looked everywhere but at the man in front of him.

"But are you sure it's just my voice?" He teased, and Yesung felt his breath hitch at the seductive tone the younger male used.

"You like me, don't you, Yesung-hyung?" Kyuhyun finally whispered, so close to him that Yesung could actually feel the other’s lips move against his ear.

He felt his entire face flush at the question, wanting nothing more than to run away and hide, tears prickling behind his closed eyelids. Unfortunately, Kyuhyun's arms, not to mention Kyuhyun himself, were still caging him, and he could only sit there as his cheeks burned and his heart raced, his eyes squeezed shut so he didn't have to look at the magnae. Not getting an answer, not that he had expected one, Kyuhyun drew back a little, and admired the blushing face in front of him.

"So red, so pretty" he mumbled, a finger down Yesung's cheeks. Then his smirk widened.

"I'll take this as a yes then," he grinned, grabbing his hyung's face and forcing the singer to look at him. He leaned closer once again, looking directly into Yesung's wide, confused, panicking eyes.

"We're gonna have so much fun."

-----> ♥♥♥

When the rest of the members came home several hours later, they found the couple sitting on the couch watching a movie, Kyuhyun's arms possessively wrapped around a blushing Yesung. Leeteuk stared at them, looking from Yesung to Kyuhyun to Yesung again, and raised his eyebrows. Yesung stuttered for several minutes, trying to explain but failing, and then almost choked on his tongue when Kyuhyun tightened his arms around him and simply stated "Yesung-hyung is mine from now on."

The many 'thank God, finally!’ and ‘it was about time’ and ‘what took you so long?’ only made Yesung blush that much harder, and he tried to hide behind Kyuhyun, failing because the magnae wouldn't let go of him. But when Heechul stepped forward and bent down to whisper something in Yesung’s ear, he turned completely red, even his ears, and the singer had torn himself free from Kyuhyun's arms and stormed towards his room, slamming the door behind him in just a few seconds. Kyuhyun stared after his (new) boyfriend for a while before he turned to look at Heechul, questioning.

"What did you just say to Yesung?" Leeteuk asked before Kyuhyun got the chance to, looking at their Cinderella as well. Heechul's grin widened, but then he shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"You know, just asking what they had been up to while we were away."

The whole group sighed loudly. They should have known.

 


*tadah!* the end ~
hope you enjoyed reading this fic ♥