It'll Be Fine

Ice Skating

The ice rink was crowded. Jongup wasn’t quite sure he wanted to do this but Himchan pulled him along by his hand.

“Come on, how bad can it be! You’re a dancer, for goodness’ sakes,” Himchan said.

Jongup was looking around at the people there in their scarves and beanies with pompoms and mittens. He looked at what he and Himchan were wearing. Himchan was dressed in black skinny jeans, a white, knitted long-sleeved shirt, and brown ankle boots with socks under them. Jongup was wearing not-skinny jeans, a black striped button-down that he had insisted on wearing an undershirt with, and converse.

 

“Yeah, but we’re not even dressed properly,” Jongup said.

Himchan had dressed them for this.  Himchan had found the place. Himchan had planned the day out.

In fact, the whole idea was Himchan’s in the first place.

“What do you mean? We are so dressed to be here.”

Himchan tugged Jongup to the counter and got them both skates. Jongup just looked at the people on the rink a little scared.

“You know, maybe we shouldn’t do this,” Jongup said pleadingly to Himchan.

“You agreed to this, so we’re going to do this,” Himchan said, pushing the shoes into Jongup’s arms.

Jongup grunted and sat down to put the skates on his feet. He stood up and almost toppled right over before he managed to balance. Himchan was standing up next to him and Jongup put out a hand to help him. They walked over to the entrance to the ice and Himchan stepped right on.

“Hime, I’m going to fall everywhere and everyone will laugh at me,” Jongup whined, standing in front of the opening. “I’m going to look like a fool.”

Himchan leaned in to Jongup and pushed his lips against the other’s.

“You are a fool,” Himchan said, smiling at Jongup fondly.

Himchan pulled away and slid off, wobbling, across the ice.

“Come on, Puppie!” Himchan called to Jongup. “Catch me if you can!”

Jongup shook his head and stopped staring at Himchan. He looked down at his skate and put it on the ice. Taking a breath, Jongup put his weight on his skate and pushed himself into the rink. Scanning the rink, he caught sight of Himchan, on the ground, struggling to push himself upright.

Himchan waved at Jongup.

“See? I was the first one to fall! You’ll be fine!”

Jongup skated over to Himchan slowly, starting to feel a little more comfortable.

“Let me help you up,” he said, reaching down to Himchan.

Himchan shooed him away.

“I can get up myself,” Himchan claimed, trying to drag himself over to the wal.

Watching in amusement as Himchan pulled himself up the wall, Jongup experimented with his skates. In doing so, he discovered he could skate backward.

“Hime! Watch this!”

Jongup started to move his feet backwards and forwards, skating jaggedly back. Himchan watched him in amazement. Jongup was doing well until he felt one of his feet slip and start falling out from under him. In a split second, he was on his on the ice.

Himchan started laughing as he skated over to help the other off the ice. Jongup’s cheeks were a bright red and he tried to hide his face as he looked around himself, expecting to see everyone laughing at him.

“That was so good, Puppie!” Himchan told him as Jongup stood up. “You looked so good!”

“Yeah but I fell over,” Jongup said sadly.

“So did I,” Himchan said. “And look around. No one is laughing. They’re too busy having fun. So let’s do the same.”

Jongup looked around and then nodded firmly.

“Let’s go!”