Chapter 1

Shrouded in Mystery

"Kyungsoo, get up. It's almost noon." Xiumin swung his houemate's door open, and flickered the lights on and off. "Don't you have classes today?"

Kyungsoo only groaned, and slowly pushed himself off of his pillow. "Stop playing with the light, idiot." 

"Not until you get up comepletely." His sharp-eyed friend giggled as he continued to flick the switch on and off. That is, until Kyungsoo glared at him, which caused him to stop and cackle at the boy. Xiumin didn't know why Kyungsoo bothered with that benign deathglare. Who did he think he was scaring looking like a deer caught in the headlights? If anything, that only gave Xiumin an even bigger urge to continue playing with the lights. "You're not scaring me, you know that?"

The wide-eyed boy growled, which came out as more of a whimper. No matter how hard he tried to go to bed on time, he ended up tossing and turning for hours until the sun crept through the blinds to let him know it was time to stop tossing, and time to start his day. School was stressing him out, and as a result, he was losing sleep. "Why didn't I just sign up for night classes? Then I'd be able to sleep during the day."

"Well, we can't all be winners." Xiumin shrugged, and switched the light on for the last time. "Just hurry up, or you're gonna be late." And with that, his friend left the room, and returned to his own room which was down the hall.

As much as he wanted to stay in his bed a little longer, he couldn't. So, he swung his little legs over the edge of his bed and slowly stood straight. He squinted, only just now realizing how bright the light in his room was. Then, he realized that today he wasn't greeted by the sun. He lifted the blinds and was greeted by his own reflection instead. "Why is it so dark out?" By this time, the sun was usually out and as bright as ever. But, not today. Today, the sky was dark and cloudy. It was certainly something Kyungsoo wasn't used to. 

"Kyungsoo, why are you just standing there?! Get dressed and get out!" Xiumin returned to his friend's room because he was well aware of his friend's habit of going back to sleep right after being awaken. 

"Why is it still dark out?" Kyungsoo looked over his shoulder, at Xiumin who leaned against the threshold.

"Maybe, it's gonna rain."

"It hasn't rained for years."

"That doesn't mean it won't. Just because someone goes to rehab, and is clean for years, doesn't mean they can't have a relapse." Xiumin lectured.

"Yeah, you're right." Kyungsoo nodded, not wanting to mention how wrong the sudden change in weather felt to him. Maybe he was over reacting.  It would be foolish to think that just because it hadn't rained in such a long time it was no longer possible. Once dressed, Kyungsoo left his room, and trotted down the stairs. "See ya at the library, Baozi!" Kyungsoo waved a goodbye to his friend who'd been fixing himself an unnecessarily large bowl of cereal in the kitchen.

"Hey, don't call me that!" Xiumin barked from the kitchen. He rolled his eyes when he heard the front door slam. "I feel more like his parent than I do his friend." He sighed.

Kyungsoo halted almost immediately after being ambushed by the harsh cold air. He was content with his decision to wear a jacket, but alas, it wasn't exactly heavy enough to keep him warm on his short walk to the college he was attending. There was something off about this weather change, and deep down, Kyungsoo knew it. But, he continuously told himself it was nothing- just the weather being unpredictable. The shivering boy pushed the corridor doors open, which echoed down the empty hall. This was a sign that classes were already in session, and he was late. He rushed down the hall, hooking a quick left, only to smash into the back of an unknown guy. When Kyungsoo stumbled back, the guy barely looked over his shoulder, before returning his attention to the teacher, who was now focused on Kyungsoo. 

"Ah, Kyungsoo! Perfect timing." His professor nodded. 

"But, I'm late.." His voice trailed off. 

"Yes, but, I won't keep a record of it if you assist Kai a bit with his firs few days of class." 

Kyungsoo looked from his professor, and up at the guy who wore an uninterested expression on his face- as if, he was bored with everything around him. "So, you're Kai?"

Kai gave a simple nod, before turning back to the professor. "By the way, I don't need help. I'll get adapted on my own." And with that, he turned away from the teacher and student, and entered the small room with people scattered about waiting for the class to officially start. He picked one of the seats lined against the window, and sat down. Despite the stares he recieved from his peers, he himself, stared out the window.

"Okay, well, I guess he'll be fine." The professor sighed, and motioned for Kyungsoo to go inside so the lesson could begin.