Jealousy Project: Begin

The Jealousy Project

Jinyoung missed the days when everything was easier. Back when it was only him and Jaebum, and he was the only one for Jaebum to dote on and Jaebum was his only hyung. He knew he sounded selfish, so incredibly selfish, but he couldn't help it sometimes. Especially when Jaebum was laughing with Jackson over some inside joke or doting on Youngjae or paying more attention to the maknaes when Jinyoung was trying to get his attention. He hated it, he really did. He had been so used to being the only one in Jaebum's life, the only one for Jaebum to pay attention to, so the transition had been a hard one.

He dealt with it better now, laughed when Youngjae and Jaebum made 2Jae jokes or when Jaebum pampered the maknaes, instead of glaring at them stonily or sitting there in silence, but it still bothered him. He never brought it up, learned to be content with the little kisses he shared with Jaebum when both of them were alone, since he knew that was something the others could never take away. But soon, he figured out he had an ace up his sleeve too. An ace named Mark. Mark wasn't overly affectionate until you got to know him, and when Jinyoung sat down beside him one day to show him something and the other man leaned his head on Jinyoung's shoulder, he suddenly knew how he'd get back at Jaebum for being with Youngjae so much. Mark didn't mind when Jinyoung suddenly started latching himself to the other mans side, just laughing or going along with it whenever it happened, so Jinyoung never felt bad about it.

The best thing about this situation was the fact that he would get affection from Mark and from Jaebum. And even if Jaebum didn't do anything, he'd still get the affection he wanted from the quieter man by his side. The fans coined a ship name for them too, and although Jinyoung was sure he'd never date Mark, since he was still very much in love with Jaebum, no matter how thickheaded the other was, he liked the look Jaebum got on his face whenever it was mentioned or whenever he and Mark would joke around. Jinyoung felt like it was a good payback for all the times Jaebum had wandered off with Youngjae and not given him a second thought. 

He was even more overjoyed when Jaebum began to show his jealousy. The first time it happened, a little while after Jinyoung and Mark had started getting closer, they'd all been sitting on the couch together, getting ready to watch a movie. Mark and Jackson were already sitting down on the couch, together, like always, and Jackson had insisted Jaebum get the seat beside him because, not only was he the leader, Jackson liked sitting beside him while they watched movies. Jinyoung had felt a little hurt, of course, hearing that he was second choice to Jaebum. He'd been hoping to hold hands with his boyfriend, like they usually did when they were allowed to have movie nights, but it had looked like that wasn't a possibility. Sighing, he'd went to sit on the ground when Mark grabbed his wrist and sent him a small smile. 

"Here, sit on my lap. You're not heavy, and if you sit to the side, we'll both be able to see." Smiling happily, he thanked him and tentatively sat down, shifting to the side so Mark's arms could comfortably wrap around his waist and his back was against the armrest, so they could both see comfortably.
"Is this okay?" He asked, drawing his legs up and looking at Mark with big eyes, ignoring Jackson's shocked expression to focus instead on Mark's mischievous smile. Mark nodded, but before the other man could say anything, Jaebum laid his hand on the back of Jinyoung's neck, shocking him and causing him to draw up his shoulders.

"Nope, not okay. You can sit on my lap, if you want to sit on someone's lap." Jinyoung wasn't sure when Jaebum had come in, but the tone of his voice made him shiver. The three youngest, settled down on the floor with the popcorn, watched with wide eyes, in disbelief, probably, while Mark raised his eyebrows at Jaebum, almost tauntingly. Jinyoung saw the flash of anger in Jaebum's eyes and quickly untangled Mark's arms from his waist, not wanting them to get into a fight or for the younger ones to experience Jaebum's anger, not even once. 

Jaebum's hand moved from the back of his neck to his wrist, and the grip was almost bruising as he tugged Jinyoung over to where he'd be sitting, sat down, and pulled the younger into his lap. As his arms wrapped possessively around Jinyoung's waist, Jinyoung decided he would do things like this more often, especially if they finally got Jaebum's attention back on him. 

The attention would never last long, though. After a few days of keeping Jinyoung by his side almost everywhere he went, the older would go back to his old habits and leave Jinyoung by himself again. Except now, Jinyoung wasn't alone, and he could count on Mark to give him affection in the place of Jaebum. It wasn't the same, of course, but it held him over until Jaebum either took notice of him again or got jealous enough to rip him away and brood at Mark for days afterwards. 

He enjoyed the times when Jaebum would come up to him and wrap his arm around him, looking at him with adoration in his eyes instead of possesiveness or jealousy, as such was usually the case whenever he tore him away from Mark.

The few times when Jaebum would tell him to sit beside him at the fansigns and would show him affection on shows made him happy, so happy it was hard to bring him down for the rest of the day. It showed him that Jaebum really did still love him, and that the other just wasn't sure how to juggle the responsiblities of being a leader and their relationship at the same time. The secret kisses and the times when Jaebum would sneak into his room reminded him that whatever they had wasn't over, and they were just trying to figure out how to make it work. He liked seeing that the fans had made a gifset of a moment between the two of him, because it told him their relationship could at least be seen a bit by others and didn't go completely unnoticed.

But sometimes, like now, it wasn't enough, and he would feel the urge to have fanservice with Mark, just to get Jaebum's eyes back on him. It wasn't exactly the best time, they were having a concert, for god's sake, but he couldn't put it off anymore. Earlier, Youngjae had joked about Jaebum being his, and although this wouldn't normally bother Jinyoung, it bothered him this time because Jaebum had agreed. He wondered if this was how it felt to be cheated on, because it sure felt like that was what Jaebum was doing. The smile Jaebum had given Youngjae and the way he'd freely laughed instead of seeming a bit awkward had made Jinyoung want to cry and scream at the same time. He'd sat in his room and hid himself under the covers for hours afterwards, refusing to come out and eat dinner because "he wasn't hungry and needed to sleep". 

Mark had been the one to come and talk to him in the end, not Jaebum. He'd come in and sat at the edge of Jinyoung's bed, poking at the lump under the covers until Jinyoung finally groaned and poked his head out the top, hoping the older boy wouldn't see the fact that he'd been crying. Of course, Mark noticed, he always did, and simply leaned over to wrap him in a hug, not saying anything, again, like he always did. Jinyoung accepted the hug, leaning heavily into Mark until the older man finally pulled away.

"Are you pulled together enough to tell me what's wrong?" Jinyoung looked down and traced pictures on his blankets with his index finger, unsure if he wanted to talk or not. After a few moments, Mark sighed. "It's Jaebum again, isn't it?"

"Is it that obvious?" 

"To me it is, because whenever something happens you either start clinging to me or you hole yourself away in your room. You've done both today." Jinyoung groaned and buried his face in his blankets as he pulled his legs up to his chest.

"I'm so pathetic, hyung." Mark shifted to where he was farther up on the bed and began to rub circles on Jinyoung's back. 

"No, you're not, you're doing what most other people in your situation would do. What he said today wasn't okay, both of them should know not to joke about that."

"But they did. And now I just... I can't stop thinking about it." He lifted his head to give Mark his most pathetic pout and saw the mischievous glint in his hyung's eyes. 

"Get him back, then. I'm sure we can arrange a bit of fanservice ourselves." Jinyoung couldn't help but to laugh at the way he said it, wiggling his eyebrows as he looked at the younger with a little smile.

"You're the best, hyung, you know that, right?" Mark laughed quietly, reaching an arm out to pull Jinyoung closer and leaning back onto the bed.

"Yeah, I know. You're lucky to have me." They stayed like that until Jinyoung drifted off to sleep, his head pillowed on the others chest. Mark stayed the night in his room that night, and if Jaebum noticed it, he didn't say anything the next morning, and refused to meet either of their eyes.


First chapter finished! Whoo! Second one should be up soon, as I am drowning in JJ project feels. Thanks for reading!