Chapter One

하나 (One)

“Jo Youngmin!! Tell your brother to shut up!!”

The two brothers stiffen on their bed when they hear their mother shout. The younger brother trying so hard to hold back his sob by biting his lips. His left hand clutching his chest tightly when the pain keep getting stronger than before. Jo Kwangmin, the little brother, suffered from a heart problem since they were a baby. When Kwangmin was still on his mother womb, there was fluid leaking from the placenta. It was damaged due to their mother excessive alcohol drinking when she was pregnant. There was no hope for Kwangmin that time. Doctor said that he would not survive and will die on his mother womb. But then, miracle does exist and it comes in the form of his own brother, Jo Youngmin. As if knowing that his brother is in trouble, baby Youngmin positioning himself so low in the womb and act as the plug to prevent more infection on his brother health.

The twins born alive. The two of them finally could greet the world with their cries on 24 April 1998. They have to born prematurely due to his mother health condition. Baby Youngmin born first with 2,6 kg, followed six minutes later by 2,4 kg baby Kwangmin. Even though baby Youngmin already try his best to save her brother life but the damage has occurred, baby Kwangmin has to suffer from the heart problem because of the damaged placenta. Many doctors who heard about the twins story believed that Youngmin acted as Kwangmin’s guardian angel. Up until now, when the twins already grow up as the lovable 5 years old kids, Youngmin always be by his brother side, being the so called guardian angel. He always there when Kwangmin need him the most, showering him with love and care that he never get from his own mother. And of course, Kwangmin too always there by his brother side, loving him and taking care of him.

They are each other guardian angel.

Youngmin look at his brother sadly. Hearing Kwangmin cries hurt his heart but seeing his little brother to hold back his cries hurt him the most. He want to tell his mother to just shut up and do her work but he couldn’t do that. She is their mother after all. It was okay if she didn’t love and taking care of them, as long as she let them to live on her house and give them money to eat and buy Kwangmin’s medication, the two of them would do whatever she told them to do.

Youngmin caress his brother damp hair lovingly and kiss his forehead, reassuring him that he is still there for Kwangmin. “Wait here, okay? I’ll go get your medication” he said softly before rushed out to get his brother medication. Youngmin know how much it hurts his brother because he too could feel a dull pain on his chest. Everytime his brother hurting, he could feel the pain. Youngmin know that his brother always feel the same because when he bump his head on the counter, his brother said that his head was hurt too. They even have a couple bruise on their forehead that day.

Maybe what the other said about twins bond is true. Twins share everything together including their own pain. Youngmin maybe just a little boy but he could understand what people said about them and their special bond. Youngmin and Kwangmin always believed that they are mean to be one. They understand each other very well. They could communicate through their heart. They even know when the other is sad or hurt. They share one soul despite being in different body.

“It hurts so much, hyungie” Kwangmin cried softly on his brother embrace, “It hurts” he whispered, hugging his brother tightly. Even though he already take his medication, Kwangmin understand that the pain wouldn’t go away so suddenly. It takes time for the medication to work.

Youngmin only nodded his head and hug his brother tighter. Being held in his brother arms always help Kwangmin when he was hurting, because he too feel the same. It feels like they were in the safest place in the world, so comfortable and full of love.

When the dull pain on his chest subsided, Youngmin realized that finally, his brother is not hurting anymore. He let out a relief sigh then kiss his brother temple once again, “I’m glad” he whispered, “Let sleep” he said while looking t his brother tired form.

Kwangmin nodded his head slowly. He snuggled deeper on his brother side then close his eyes slowly, “Night hyung”

“Night, Kwangie”

And the boys finally sleep in each other arms.

~하나~

It was 8 in the morning when the two boys are up from their sleep. They freshen their self before go to the kitchen. When the other kids would found their own mother cooking for them in the kitchen, the twins will only find the money left by their mother on the counter. Their mother would already leave when they woke up and as long as they could remember, they never see their mother cook for them.

Youngmin take the money and start to count it. Despite his young age, Youngmin already good at counting money. Mr. Park taught them when they were four, telling them that it would help them to know how much money they got from their mother and what could they buy with that money. “It looks like we only have 3000 won for today” he said sadly. Usually, their mother would give them enough money for their food but today, it looks like they only have money to buy breakfast.

Kwangmin purse his lips tightly. He look at the money then at his brother, back and forth. A small smile plastered on his face when he take his brother hand, “We can buy something cheaper” he said cheerfully, “I’m sure Mr. Park have something on his shop”

Seeing his brother brightened look, Youngmin finally nodded his head. The two boys walk out of the house hand in hand. Carefully, they lock the door before walking to Mr. Park shop on the end of the road.

“Boys! What did you want to buy today?” Mr. Park greet them cheerfully. The old man already know about the twins condition. Yeah, the two little boys always buy their food on his shop for a really long time ago. They are his loyal consumer.

Youngmin fidgeting on his place. He clutch the money tightly before facing Mr. Park, “Umm… Mr. Park” he started, “What could we buy with 3000 won?” he asked slowly.

“3000 won?”

The twins nodded their head slowly, “Our mother only left 3000 won for today” Kwangmin said in behalf of his brother, “Anything will do. We didn’t mind at all” he continued. Deep inside his heart, Kwangmin know that it would be hard to buy food with only 3000 won, especially if it was for the two of them. That means one boy get 1500 won to buy their food for a full day and it would be difficult for them to buy a decent food.

Mr. Park look at them sadly. He sigh hard before got inside his kitchen. Sometimes, he want to meet the twins mother and knock some sense on her brain but then again, when he think about it clearly, it would only trouble the twins if he did that. Their mother would blame the twins and maybe doing something that he would never want to imagine. So, the only thing he could do for them is this, giving them the food that they need everyday.

Mr. Park come out of the kitchen while bringing two packs of bread on his hand. He take the money from Youngmin’s hand before giving the bread to each of them, “There you go” he said cheerfully, “If you need something, just tell me okay?”

“Eung! Thank you Mr. Park” the twins said in unison. They bowed before leaving the shop, hand in hand.

Youngmin suddenly stopped when they are 50 meters away from Mr. Park shop. He look at his brother with smile plastered on his face, “You can have this” he said while handing Kwangmin his own bread, “You have to eat a lot, Kwang”

“Hyung…”

“I’ll be okay” Youngmin said cheerfully, “You’re so skinny Kwang, so you have to eat a lot”

Kwangmin look at the bread sadly. If only… if only their mother left more money, maybe they could buy something more than this. Maybe his Youngmin-hyung didn’t have to give him all his food. When they reach their home, Youngmin lead them to the kitchen. He quickly bring two glass of water and put them on the table, “Come here Kwang” he called Kwangmin who stand on the doorway, clutching his bread tightly on his hand, “Kwang?”

One drop.

Two drop of tears falling from Kwangmin’s eyes. Remembering his hyung sacrifice make him want to cry. Why… why is it always Youngmin-hyung who have to suffer because of him? First because of his sickness and now this. Why can’t he do something for his own brother?

“Kwang” little hand caress Kwangmin hair softly, “What happened? Did your chest hurt again?”

Kwangmin shake his head quickly, “No” he look up at his brother’s eyes with his teary one, “Hyung… we are one, right?” he asked, “Hyung always said that we are meant to be one. Hyung always said that we have one soul so we know what the other is feeling”

Youngmin look at his brother confusedly. He didn’t understand what his brother mean with his word. Yes, he always said that they share one soul and that they are mean to be one but he didn’t understand why his brother asking him something like that right now. “Ye-Yeah… why?” Youngmin finally understand what Kwangmin mean when he see his brother shifting his gaze to the bread on his hand. He smile sadly at his brother and ruffle his hair, “I already said that I’m okay, Kwang. Beside, I eat a lot yesterday so you didn’t have to worry about me. You have to think more about yourself, Kwang. Look at you, you are so skinny, little brother. You need more food than me”

Kwangmin shift his gaze to face his brother. His eyes shining with determination despite the tears that pooling on his big eyes, “I won’t eat if you are not eating” he said firmly.

“Kwang” his brother plead, “Please… you have to take your medication, Kwang”

Kwangmin lowered his head once again. It was always be about his sickness and medication. If only he was born healthily, maybe his hyung wouldn’t have to worry him like this. Maybe his brother could play with the other kids instead of taking care of him. But… then again it was just a false hope. He couldn’t change anything. Even though he plead, beg, cried to be born healthily but what’s done is done. He only have to accept that he has to live with that sickness and has to rely on his brother.

Kwangmin wipe his tears harshly. He open one pack of the bread quickly then split the bread into two pieces. No, he wouldn’t let Youngmin to suffer because of him again. They are one. His brother always said so. If Kwangmin eat then Youngmin have to eat too. No matter what. Even if Kwangmin has to shove the bread into his brother mouth, he will do that as long as his brother eating with him.

“Here” Kwangmin give Youngmin one piece of bread and keep the other one on his hand, “I don’t care about being so skinny. I want hyung to eat with me”

“Kwang…”

“Hyung!” Kwangmin snapped. He look at his brother hopefully, “Please” he plead, “If hyung didn’t take this bread then I don’t want to talk to you ever again!”

Youngmin look at the bread in his hand then looking back at his brother. Smile plastered on his face when he see his brother angry look, “Yeah… I’ll eat with you”

“You should have do it since the beginning, hyung”

Yongmin couldn’t help but laugh. Yes, this argument would never happened if he just eat his own bread. But on the other side, he didn’t want his brother to get sick again. He ruffle his brother hair playfully, earning a shout from his little brother because Youngmin ruining his hair. “Sorry, Kwang” he said after he done laughing. The said boy just pouting his lips and squinting his eyes, annoyed because once again, his brother treat him like a little kid.

“Don’t be mad, Kwang” Youngmin take his brother hand and caress it lovingly, “Come on! Let’s eat~”

~하나~

The twins are watching television when they hear hurried footstep on the doorway. Kwangmin quickly shift closer to his brother, his right hand is gripping his brother arm tightly. It was 2 in the afternoon and their mother never be home at this time. Youngmin was about to see who was coming when they hear a familiar voice calling their name cheerfully.

“Youngmin-ah! Kwangmin-ah! I’m home~~”

The twins looking at each other confusedly. First, their mother always come home after 2 in the afternoon and two, she never calling their name so cheerfully like that. What happened? That was the only question that cross in the twins mind right now.

“Young––“ Mrs. Jo stop her words when she see the two brothers sitting on the sofa while looking at her confusedly, “Ah! You’re here!” she said with the same cheerful voice. She kneel in front of then and grab both of their shoulder, “I’ve got a present for you two~” she rummaged her bag and take out three ticket, “Tara~~ we’re going to Everland~ are you two happy?”

Kwangmin shifted his gaze to his brother. Even though he is so confused because of their mother sudden kindness but he nodded his head slowly. Maybe their mother willing to try to be nice. Maybe their mother is trying to fix their relationship. There are so many possibilities that will happen because of the changes in their mother's behavior.

Although the still couldn’t understand the situation, they quickly go to their room to change their clothes. It was winter and some people on the television said that the snow will fall tonight. Youngmin make sure that his little brother is wearing something warm in case they will go until night time. After he make sure that Kwangmin wearing his winter jacket, Youngmin quickly wear his own.

“Hyungie”

Kwangmin’s voice stop Youngmin. He look at his brother who look at him woriedly, “It will be okay, Kwang. Mother just want to have fun with us” he take his brother hand to reassure him, “Don’t worry. I’ll be with you all the time”

Finally bright smile plastered on Kwangmin’s face, he squeeze his brother hand when he feel Youngmin did the same. For now, Kwangmin will believe Youngmin’s word. Even though the two of them didn’t know what will happen later but they only hope that their mother is willing to be the better mother for the two of them.

After an hour of driving, they reach the Everland. Their mother let them ride whatever they want. She even ask them to buy something in the souvenir store. They choose to buy a pendant with their initial. Youngmin choose to buy the ‘K’ pendant while Kwangmin choose the ‘Y’ pendant. Their mother laughed when she saw the two boys walk to her with the same thing on their hand even though they go in separate directions to find what they want to buy, “You two are twins after all” she chuckled while ruffling their hair softly.

The three of them continue to explore the theme park. Youngmin and Kwangmin smile a lot that day. The finally got to play with their own mother. She even carry Kwangmin when the little boy said that he was tired. She hold Youngmin’s hand and feed them when they are eating. The two boys were happy. Very, very happy. Nothing could ever compare this quality time they had with their mother.

It was around 6 in the evening when the three of them decide to sit on one of the bench near the entrance. Despite being together all the time, Youngmin and Kwangmin continue to talk about what they did today, how they feel and many more things that they found on the theme park.

“I’ll go to the toilet for a while. You two don’t go anywhere, okay” their mother said after a while.

“Eung~”

Not long after their mother go, Youngmin start fidgeting on his seat, “I think I have to go to the toilet too” he said quickly, “You wait here ne, Kwang. Tell mother I go to the toilet if she come here before me” without waiting for his brother reply, Youngmin quickly run to where the toilet is. Leaving Kwangmin alone in that place.

“Hyu––“ Kwangmin’s voice died down when he see his brother form got smaller. He sit quietly on the bench. Not many people was there. Maybe they already went home or still playing inside. Snow started to fall from the sky but Kwangmin still sitting on that bench, waiting for his brother to come back. He didn’t know how long he wait. His body started to shiver because of the cold. His chest starting to hurt again because he hadn’t take his medication.

“Hyungie…” he whispered, hugging his body tightly, “Hyungie where are you? I’m afraid, hyungie” slowly tears started to fall from his eyes. His body get colder in every minute. His teeth started to chatter very badly. Kwangmin couldn’t feel his body anymore. It was so cold until he couldn’t move his hand to clutch his hurting chest. His eyes dropped slowly until they finally closed. The last thing he could hear was his brother calling his name again and again.

~하나~

“Are you happy?” a taller man asked the smaller one. His hand gripping the later hand tightly. “It’s been a while since we come to a place like this”

“Of course!” the smaller man said, he hug his boyfriend tightly as they walk through the snowy night, “We’ve been busy building our hope together. And of course, I’m so happy tonight” he stop on his track to plant a kiss on his boyfriend’s lips, “Thank you, Jo Kyuhyun. I love you”

Kyuhyun couldn’t hold his smile anymore. He give his boyfriend a butterfly kisses on his face, “Your welcome, Lee Sungmin. And I love you too”

“Where do we go after this?”

“Hmm…” Kyuhyun look at his wristwatch, it was 10 in the evening and they still haven’t eat dinner. Time surely passed so quickly when they are together. He hold Sungmin’s hand tightly before pull him into his embrace, “We’ll get our late dinner then we’ll go back to the hotel”

“Wine?”

Kyuhyun look down just to find his adorable boyfriend looking at him hopefully. His eyes shining so bright and his lips looks so pink in this dim road. Kyuhyun couldn’t resist himself to kiss his boyfriend again. He lowered his head just to plant a really long kiss on his boyfriend luscious lips, “Yes, baby, we’ll have our wine later”

Sungmin smile brightly as they walk to the entrance –the exit is near the entrance– he’s so happy that once again, his boyfriend would grant his wish. There are a lot of things that he wanted to do with his boyfriend tonight. It’s been a while since the last time they go on vacation with just only the two of them. Usually, Eunhyuk and Donghae would tag alone but right now, he and Kyuhyun make sure that the two of them wouldn’t go in this 3 days vacation by giving them more work than usual. Evil right? Of course, they are the so called evil couple after all.

Sungmin halt his step when he see something wrong in the distance. The dim light didn’t help his vision at all but he’s sure that there is something on the bench. Something isn’t right and his feeling suddenly telling him to check that out.

“What’s wrong, Ming?” Kyuhyun asked when Sungmin let go from his embrace. He look at his boyfriend confusedly when Sungmin squinting his eyes as if trying to find something in the dim night, “Ming?”

“Something is there, Kyu!” Sungmin said hurriedly. He take Kyuhyun’s hand and dash to the bench under the tree. Kyuhyun’s eyes widen when he got to see what’s disturbing his boyfriend. “God! It’s a little boy!” Sungmin let go of Kyuhyun’s hand and run forward to the boy’s side. He quickly hug the boy’s cold body and remove some snow that fall on that boy, “Kyu, he’s not breathing!” he shouted, “What should we do, Kyuhyun-ah! What should we do” Sungmin panicked while hugging the boy’s body tightly.

“Lee Sungmin!” Kyuhyun’s call snap him out from his panic state, “Calm down, okay” he said slowly, trying to calm his panic boyfriend. He hold Sungmin’s hand tightly then caressing his cheek lovingly, “Let me check on him” Kyuhyun said after a while.

Sungmin let go of the boy slowly, giving his boyfriend enough space to examine the boy. He focusing his gaze to the boy’s face. The boy’s eyes were closed tightly and his lips were blue. Sungmin hold the boy in his arms, hoping that they are not too late to save the little boy’s life. ‘Please… I beg to you, God. Please don’t take him with you yet. Please…’

“It’s there!” Kyuhyun shouted when he found a weak pulse on the boy’s neck. He quickly his winter jacket and put them on the boy’s cold body. After everything is done, he carry the boy and dash out from the theme park. They didn’t even bother to tell the security about the little boy. All they could think about right now is to bring the little boy to the hospital.

Quickly.

~하나~