A Cup of Coffee

Clear as Coffee

The soft click of heels tapped against the wood floors as a young woman moved towards the stack of boxes. She set down the boxes in her arms, her bracelets tinkling, and began a new stack.

“Thanks for helping me out at the store, Suzy,” a voice said behind her.

Suzy turned to find her shorthaired friend carrying more boxes. Suzy met her half way and helped her set them on the new stack.

“No problem, Min,” she replied with a soft smile. “Do you need help unpacking these boxes?”

Min waved her off and smiled. “It’s alright. I can handle that myself, you’ll see. I’ve been managing my little boutique for three years without anyone’s help.”

Suzy looked around the little shop noting that its mannequins were patiently waiting to be dressed. The light morning air illuminated the small specks of dust floating around the store. It was quiet, much quieter than the city and it made Suzy feel a bit of unease.

“I don’t understand… Why would you choose such a small neighborhood like this to start a fashion business instead of the city?” Suzy asked as she leaned against one of the empty display tables, the s of her knees hitting the edge of the table.

“Too much competition,” Min explained. “Although... I’m sure you know all about that.”

Suzy nodded and reached for her purse, her journal clunking as it moved back and forth inside.

“Now it’s my turn to ask. Why did you decide to come all the way out here for inspiration for a new story? No offense to this place, but it’s not as exciting as the city,” Min remarked as she crossed her arms and stood next to Suzy.

Suzy breathed deeply and closed her eyes. “That’s why I came here… It’s so different from the city. Everything has gotten so predictable there. I don’t want something exciting… Just different. A nice change of scenery to help refresh my mind. Plus, I think it’ll be fun trying to write about something I’m not familiar with.”

Min smiled and nudged Suzy foot with her own. “Well, I hope you find something to write about here. Stay as long as you want. It’s been so long since I’ve seen you…”

Suzy could feel the tears start forming in her eyes. She reached out and hugged Min tightly.

Min hugged her back just as tight. “Ew, gross. Stop with the mushy reunion hugging.”

“You’re the one hugging back!”

“Yeah, well who’s the one that barely ever called?”

The two friends laughed, enjoying their time together. Min looked out the window and saw that the sun had risen just a little higher.

“I better get the shop ready. You should go around and explore the neighborhood. Get familiar with the place,” Min suggested. Suzy nodded and gave Min one last hug before heading outside.

The crisp morning air hit Suzy with a light breeze that gently ruffled the skirt of her peach colored dress. She closed her eyes and felt the fresh air play with her hair. The quietness she once thought eerie was now relaxing.

“Must be nice to smell fresh air instead of car exhaust,” she laughed to herself as she walked beneath the shade of the trees that lined the sidewalk.

After a few more minutes of walking, her stomach began to grumble. With an exasperated sigh, she looked around for a place to eat. Few people were out and about this early in the morning. Only a few shops were beginning to open. She stopped in front of a flower shop and turned her head only to be met with a quaint little café across the street.

Is it open? Suzy thought to herself.

Suzy held a hand over her eyes like a visor. She looked for a sign on the door to signal whether the café was open or not. Instead, her eyes met another pair. A young man was wiping down the windows. He flashed her a bright smile and nodded his head as if to gesture to her to come inside.

Suzy looked both ways and briskly crossed the empty street, her body and mind still compelled by the city lifestyle. The young man held the door open for her.

“A bit early for breakfast, isn’t it?” the young man asked as he watched Suzy duck beneath his arm and walk into the café. She flashed him a brief, polite smile, but kept quiet.

“Well, that’s fine. You’ll be the first customer of the day,” the man said cheerily. “My name is Hanbyul and I’ll be your server today. Follow me.”

Hanbyul led Suzy to a small table for two by the newly cleaned windows. She sat down and hung her purse over the top of the chair.

“I’m guessing you’re not from around here,” Jason remarked as he placed a menu in front of Suzy.

“How did you know?” She asked.

“Well for starters, girls around here don’t show as much skin as you do,” he joked as pointed to the top of Suzy’s sleeveless dress. Her face turned a light shade of pink as she held her hand over the uncovered part of her shoulder.

Hanbyul chuckled. “I’m just teasing you. But you sure do look really dressed up for a neighborhood like this.” Hanbyul looked Suzy up and down. He noted her peach chiffon, sleeveless dress with matching peach pumps, peach designer purse, and the four sets of expensive bracelets lined up her wrist and peach and gold dangles the looked like tiny branches hanging from her ears. All the peach was beginning to make his head spin.

“City girls really don’t like to mess around…” he mumbled under his breath.

“What’s wrong with wanting to look good?” Suzy asked, straightening her posture just a bit.

Hanbyul shook his head. “Nothing, nothing… I hope you’re not looking for anything fancy here. How about I start you off with some American coffee.” He couldn’t help but laugh at his own joke.

Suzy had to keep herself from rolling her eyes. She gave him another polite smile. “I’m actually not a big fan of coffee. I prefer tea.”

Hanbyul nodded. “I will be right back then.” He walked towards the kitchen in the back while whistling a happy little tune.

When he was gone, Suzy fished her journal out from her purse and grabbed a pen. She stood up from her table and walked around the café. It smelled of a mix of coffee, hazelnut, fresh baked bread, and the faintest hint of window cleaner. At one end of the café was a wall filled with pictures in black and white and sepia. The white borders of the photos were aged with brown. There was a photo of a couple holding hands by the Han River. And another of a couple in the park. There was a couple feeding each other cake at what seemed like a wedding. Their wedding. Suzy stepped closer to the pictures and realized that every picture was of the same couple.

“They’re my grandparents, if you were wondering.”

Suzy jumped and dropped her journal. Hanbyul bent down and picked it up.

“I’m sorry,” they both exclaimed in unison.

Hanbyul handed the journal back to Suzy and she mumbled a quick ‘thank you’.

“You look just like him… Your grandfather, I mean…” she said softly.

Hanbyul gave her a sad smile and led her back to the table. “Yeah. I get that a lot.”

Noticing the change in his voice, Suzy decided not to pry.

“So what’s with the journal?” Hanbyul asked as he sat in the seat across of Suzy. He slid the teacup closer to her and took a sip from his cup of coffee.

“I’m a writer,” she answered as she took a sip of her tea, her eyes never leaving his. “Romance novelist.”

“Romance, huh? Have you ever been in love before?” Hanbyul questioned as he furrowed his eyebrows.

“What does love have to do with romance?” Suzy retorted with her own question. “You don’t need to know about love to write about romance. Romance is just what people expect when they fall in love. That’s why it’s so easy to write about.”

Hanbyul shook his head and gestured to the wall of pictures. “Love, real love, is something people can only dream about.” He answered all too seriously.

 


 

It was a cool spring day. A fresh breeze blew against leaves of the trees, tussling the hair of the customers sitting outside of the café. A young woman tucked the stray locks of hair behind her ears and gently the pages of a pocketbook. A young man came by and placed a warm cup of coffee in front of her. The young woman looked up from her book and looked at the man quizzically.

“No, no. There’s no need to thank me,” the man said with a grin. “With a cool breeze like this, it’s nice to have a warm cup of coffee.”

The young woman smiled politely. “I’m actually not a big fan of coffee. I prefer tea.”

“Ah… Well, next time I’ll make sure to bring you a nice cup of tea. I’m Jang Han Jae.”

The woman gave him a small smile and polite nod. “Kim Hye Ri.”

Han Jae sat in the empty seat across from Hye Ri. “So what are you reading, Hye Ri-ssi?”

“Oh this?” Hye Ri held up the book she was reading. “It’s a romance novel.”

Han Jae let out a scoff to which Hye Ri frowned.

“Well what’s wrong with a romance novel?” She asked defensively.

Han Jae folded his hands on top of the table. “Hye Ri-ssi, have you ever been in love before?” he asked all too seriously.

Hye Ri shook her head. “What does romance have to do with love? Romance is just the pretty roses and sweet chocolate women expect when they fall in love.”

Han Jae let out a sigh and shook his head. “Love, real love, is something people can only dream about.”