Maria!

He Loves Me Not

“Thanks.” The man smiled and the air hostess who then took the finished glass of wine giggled shamelessly at the passenger.

She quickly bowed before darting her way to the back cabin where two other air hostesses were thirsting for a peek at the said passenger. “It’s him, there’s no mistaking it!” One of them yelled as she pulled out a magazine from the cart and opened it to a page with ‘Kim Industries’ on the headlines. It showed a picture of a middle aged couple seated proudly with their two sons standing behind them. “Kim Jongin.” She read.

The woman clicked her tongue as she quickly glanced over to where Jongin was seated. “Isn’t he the younger of the two brothers?” She asked. “Didn’t he go missing two months ago? They’re still searching for the kid.” She shook her head disapprovingly while pouring wine into the ceramic shaped glass. “Here, you bring it to him. I refuse to date little brats.”

“He’s twenty five.” The other air hostess snorted. “Besides, I like them bad boys.” She winked before taking the wine and walking off to the plane’s first class section. “Sir?” She tapped him on the shoulder.

Jongin blinked his eyes open and looked up. He shoved his hood off as he then yanked his headphones out to politely thank the middle aged woman for bringing him his drink. He gave her a toothy grin before taking the wine and placing it down his cup holder.

“Um, sir?” The air hostess called out, tapping the male on the shoulder once more. Jongin turned to her and smiled. “Yes?” She blushed. “I just wanted to ask, um, are you really Kim Jongin?”

Jongin had a contemplating look on his face.

“I’ll take that as a yes!” The woman clapped in glee. “Anyway, my name is-“ She was cut short when Jongin excused himself to answer a phone call.

“Maria!” He purposely yelled aloud. “Ah, you’re already at the airport? Oh no, I’m still on the plane! Mind waiting for me a little longer? Oh baby, I missed you too!” He smirked as the air hostess frowned and marched her way back to the cabin. Jongin sighed, resting his back against the chair. “Hey dude, I’m sorry about that. Yea, I’ll be there in like, ten to fifteen minutes. And can you not tell anyone about this, and by anyone I meant my family. Yup, see you.” And he hung up the call.

“We wish you a pleasant stay in Seoul and we hope to see you again very soon. ” As the pilot said his last words, Jongin stared out the window to view the city below him. “I can’t believe I’m back.” He said in whisper.

 

“Who are you calling baby?” Suho laughed as he stole Jongin’s luggage and handed it to Kris. “Be a dear and carry this.” Kris glared at the small man walking beside him. Despite his nice-guy persona, Suho could be a pain in the sometimes.

“I was calling Maria my baby.” Jongin said, stretching out his arms and yawning. “I’m jet lagged as .”

“Speaking of Maria, she’s waiting for you at the parking lot.” Kris said as he threw Jongin his car keys.

“Didn’t you say you weren’t coming back here anymore?” Suho was walking backwards to have himself faced with Jongin. It’s a habit he picked up from Garry, an old highschool friend of theirs. “You even threw that huge farewell party two months ago.”

“Step-momster cutting off all my credit and ATM card accounts.” Jongin answered. “The old man called. Apparently, it would be for my own sake to come back home and explain myself to the press.” He rolled his eyes. “It’s annoying. And besides, I’m pretty sure his wife is just celebrating her head off.” He added with gritted teeth. “That wench.”  

“It’s your fault for just leaving the country like that.” Kris said. “Your brother e-mailed everyone. He sounded really worried.” He looked at Jongin who’s now staring down at the floor as he walked. “Aren’t you gonna call him?”

Jongin shook his head and smiled grimly. “I'm pretty sure can handle himself without me.”

“It’s not him who needs handling.” Kris whispered and Jongin frowned. 

Suho waved his arms frantically at Kris, signaling the elder to stop the blabbering. He slung an arm around Jongin and smiled.“You’re very welcome to stay at my place.”He siad as Jongin nodded.

 

“Um, Jongin.” Suho looked worriedly at the man handling the stirring wheel. “You should really get Maria fixed up. She sounds like she’s going to die of old age.” He said, referring to Jongin’s old red velvet car.

“What are you talking about?” Jongin chuckled as he quickly adjusted his rear view mirror. “She sounds great!”

Suho was laughing nervously as the car stopped abruptly for a red light. He held onto the door handles and sighed. Jongin stared at a crowd of people across the street. “Little Spoon.” He read. “Dude, look at that.” He pointed at the small coffee shop where people were just crowding at and Suho stretched his neck to the side for a peek. “How lame.” Jongin said, referring to the name of the shop.

“Yea but it caught your eye so it’s a good kind of lame.” Suho chuckled.

Jongin shrugged. “I guess.”

“Yellow light.”

Jongin nodded, taking a quick glimpse of the shop before driving off.

 

“Kris just called. He can’t make it tonight.” Suho paced his way over to his house guest who’s now lazily sprawled out on his sofa bed with one hand on the remote control and the other hand lost in a bowl of cheetos. “Hey Jongin,” Suho sat on the couch beside him. “What are you going to do about your mother-“

“Step-momster.” Jongin corrected the elder as he pointed him his now greasy finger.

“Right, her.” Suho nodded. “I know you said you won’t go back to your family and I did promise that I’ll let you stay here as long as you’ll need to,” He continued. “But you’re not going to stay on my couch forever, are you?”

“Wow hyung, kicking me out already?” Jongin sat up to face Suho. He chuckled when the elder gave him a troubled look. “Don’t sweat it. I promise I’ll have everything under control.” He said, lunging himself into the pillow and turning the TV volume up. Suho ascended from the couch and sighed before turning his heels and walking away from the living room.

Jongin wasn’t entirely lying when he said he’ll have everything under control. He just didn’t know where to start.

Slamming the car breaks, he found himself stopping beside the same coffee shop he and Suho drove pass yesterday. He looked up to find a huge banner displayed. “How do you feel when there is no coffee? Depresso.” Jongin snorted at the lack of humor. “So come celebrate the first year anniversary of Little Spoon: September 13 20XX - It’s 70% off!”

Jongin walked his way over to the counter where a man of six feet tall greeted him with a smile. “Welcome to Little Spoon, may I take your order?” He earnestly said with a toothy grin. “One Iced Latte Macchiato. I’ll have it in.” Jongin ordered and the employee nodded as he then started pressing buttons on his register. Jongin took out his wallet and sighed at the clear lack of money. He might need to rob a bank soon, he thought. “Sir?” Jongin looked up. “Ah, yea.” He said, handing the cash before settling himself on one of their window side tables.

Jongin gazed at the medium sized room and smiled in contentment. The place was pleasantly comfortable and cozy. It had white walls and brown tables with soft couches to match. The bitter sweet smell of coffee was just about enough to lighten up his mood. It felt kinda… what’s the word?     Homey.

Well that is until he heard footsteps suddenly stomping harshly down the stair case. “I can’t believe it!” A man behind him yelled furiously with a raving tone. “He’s gone, gone! Apparently, the guy crashed his car and now he can’t come to work because of those stupid- broken bones. I call bull, complete bull!” The man continue to rage as everyone in the shop stared judgingly at the scene. Jongin however, doesn’t turn around. He had his own problems to deal with.

He took out a pen and paper from his pockets and sighed. Okay, let’s break it all down shall we?

 

       * money      get a ing job
       *find a place to live
       *TRAVEL
       *live the rest of my life with swag

 

“One Iced Latte Machiatto.” The blonde male with gentle features that kind of resembled a deer placed the cup of cold coffee on his table. “Can I get you anything else?” He asked. Jongin felt an aura of royalty as the good looking blonde flashed him a charming smile that he thought only a prince could possess. Okay, that was a bit of an exaggeration. But count my word for it, he really was pretty.

“Yea.” Jongin looked up to his server and grinned. “A job maybe.”

“Uh..”

“It’s fine.” He chuckled.

“Rough day?”

“Yea.”

“I’m Luhan by the way.” The man sat on the chair across him.

“Jo-“ Jongin paused for a moment as he realized the mistake of giving out his name like that. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust the guy, he just can’t have people knowing that Kim Jongin, the lost heir of Kim Industries, is now back in Seoul. His family will surely track him down before having him decapitated if he’s found alive. “It’s Kai.” He smiled.

“Well, about that job thing.”

“I really was just kidding.”

“Well, I’m not.” Luhan puts down the tray he was carrying. “If you really want a job, we might have an opening available.”

“Really?!” Jongin felt like jumping.

Lu han glanced at the scene behind Jongin. His boss was pacing back and forth while yelling hysterically over his phone. The man paused before darting his way out the glass door. “See that guy over there.” Luhan pointed out the window where a short male was seen stomping his way across the parking lot. Jongin could only view his side profile as the guy clumsily unlocked his car door before going in and driving off in full throttle. “That was my boss.” 

“The one yelling just now?”

Luhan nodded. “One of the waiters got himself involved in a bad car crash and our boss might just look for a replacement soon.”

“That’s great!” Jongin exclaimed. “I mean, that’s bad. Well, it’s great for me.” He smiled meekly.

Luhan stood up. “Just write down your number and give it to the guy on the register. I’ll call you when the position opens.”

“Don’t I need to pass in a resume?”

“As long as you’re capable of serving coffee and you’re not some sort of convicted murderer, I think you’re good.” Lu han assured him.

“Man, thank you so much!” Jongin said as he stood up to shake hands with the blonde.

“No problem.” Lu han offered a smile before walking off to another table. Jongin drank his coffee at ease as he then wrote down his number before handing it to the guy working on the cashier.

 

Suho was a bit stunned by how much food there was on the table. He looked to the kitchen where Jongin was busying himself with a pot of spaghetti sauce. “Jongin, what’s with all this?” He said, pulling out a chair and plopping himself down as he continued to gape at the exquisite dishes prepared in front of him.

“It’s my way of saying thank you.” Jongin placed the pot in the middle of all the other dishes. He took off his apron and landed on a chair. “And to celebrate me getting a job.”

“You? A job?”

Jongin frowned at the elder’s reaction. “And to think, I even went grocery shopping for you.”

“I’m sorry, it’s just a bit… not Jongin.” Suho chuckled. “I’m proud of you.”

The younger straightened his back and looked at Suho with a cocky grin. “You should be.”

“Don’t push it, Kkamjong.”

 

When four days passed and Jongin didn’t get a call, he decided that it’d be better if he just went there himself. So he did just that. It was eight in the morning when Jongin arrived. The shop was still closed but the workers were already setting the place inside.

“Kai, i’m so glad you’re here!” Luhan, the man who promised Jongin a job, instantly greeted him as soon as he walked in the glass doors.

“Yea, I was just wondering if-“

“No time for chit chat.” Luhan said as he pushed the now confused male up the staircase.

Jongin, completely clueless to what was happening, wasn’t given a chance to say a word as Luhan then shoved a bunch of clothing into his chest. He takes it with no questions asked. Arriving at the second floor of the coffee place, there were two doors in between a small empty hall. He was pushed through the left one and he stood there, locked inside of what appears to be a locker room. “Change, now!” Luhan yelled from the other side of the wooden door.

Jongin did what he was told to. When finished, he walked over to a full body mirror for a quick view of himself wearing a white long sleeve, a black vest, and a matching pair of trousers. Luhan waited patiently beside the locker room and as soon as Jongin walked out, he grabbed the male by the arm to lunge him back down the staircase. “What was your last name again?”

“Kim.”

“Kim Kai reporting for duty!” Luhan announced anxiously as Chanyeol and one other guy with pink hair turned to them with questioning stares.

Jongin awkwardly raised his hand and waved.

“He’s Tao’s replacement.” Luhan said, still trying to catch his breath. “I’m sorry Kai. My boss,” He panted. “He wanted a replacement ASAP and I told him about you. But that giraffe over there,” He pointed at the tall guy wiping the tables clean. “lost your number and I didn’t know how to contact you.” He explained in between breaths.

“It’s not my fault!” Chanyeol yelled defensively as he then glared at the boy beside him.

“Yes, it’s clearly my fault for leaving that piece of paper around when it looked like trash.” The young male scowled back at the giant.

“Forget it.” Luhan cuts their argument short. “Kai, you’ve met Chanyeol.” He said, gesturing his hand towards the giant.

“Sup.” Chanyeol may be tall as Kris, but he wasn’t at all intimidating. He was the opposite, actually. His hair was a shade of auburn and he wore big stylish glasses.

 “And that guy over there is Sehun. He’s a part time.” Luhan said, pointing at one of the corners where a boy a few years younger than Jongin, was seated comfortably on one of the chairs with his feet resting on the table and a marvel comic book on hand. Chanyeol leaned over Sehun to swiftly swipe the boy’s feet off. “It’s a table.”

“No , it’s a table.” Sehun retorted as he brought his feet back up the stall, wiggling it mockingly only for Chanyeol to smack him on the head. “Hyung!” He yelled, rubbing the spot where the giant just assaulted him.

“I look forward to working with you all.” Jongin smiled and Sehun stared at him with ogling eyes. “Do I know you?” He asked and Jongin looked back at him, puzzled. “I don’t think so?” He answered with a small grin. Sehun narrowed his eyes at the male standing beside Luhan. He shrugged before raising the comic book up his face.

“Don’t mind him.” Luhan said.

Jongin nodded.

“You’re lucky Kai’s here.” Chanyeol said as he patted Luhan lightly on his back. “Kyungoo looked like he was about to go on a rampage.”

“Kyungsoo?”

Luhan turned to Jongin. “Our boss.”

“Funny.” Jongin chuckled. “I know… well, I knew… someone with the same name.”

“Right.” Luhan brought his hands together and smiled. “Follow me, I’ll teach you all the stuff you’ll need to know.” He said as Jongin nodded and trailed him from behind.

Sehun, chin rested against a table, watched intently as Luhan babbled out words with Jongin constantly writing everything the blonde was saying on a notebook. “Hyung.” He whispered, gesturing the giant to come closer. Chanyeol begrudgingly walked his way over to the boy and sighed. “What do you want now?”

“What did he say his name was again?” Sehun asked, pointing his finger at the new guy.

“Kai.” The giant answered.

“Something doesn’t seem right.” The boy whispered, sneakily taking a cookie from the cookie jar. Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “It’s like I’ve seen this guy somewhere but I just don’t remember where exactly.”

Chanyeol feigns a gasp. “Okay, tell me when you remember. In fact, call me immediately because dude, I care so much.” The giant said sarcastically as his face twisted back into a frown.

Sehun rolled his eyes as Chanyeol scooted his way pass him. “Douche.”

“Ah, and one more thing.” Luhan pulled Jongin to the front of the staircase. “See that door on the right, opposite of the locker room?” He asked, pointing to the said door.

Jongin nodded.

“That’s Kyungsoo’s office.” Luhan informed him. “No one ever dares to go inside unless you’re called. And so far, we’ve never been called up there.”

Jongin stared at the door with a mix feeling of curiosity and interest. “What’s our boss like?”

Luhan rested his chin against his fist, thinking hard for a reply to give. He looked up at Jongin with a contemplating look. “In terms of physical appearance, he’s adorable.”

Jongin slightly cocked his head to the side. “What do you mean by ‘in terms of physical appearance’?

Luhan shrugged. “In terms of everything else, Hitler would be put to shame.”

Jongin chuckled at the blonde’s unnerving description of their boss. “That bad?”

“Bad would be an understatement.” Luhan added and Jongin gulped.

 

“He’s doing really well.” Chanyeol said, referring to their new waiter who’s currently doing a very good job at entertaining the female customers. Luhan agreed with a nod as he too watched Jongin take selfies with the girls squealing for his attention. They get a lot of regulars from a university nearby, girls mostly, making Jongin’s popularity a good asset to the shop.

“It’s kind of unfair.” Chanyeol sighed.

“I still don’t trust him.” Sehun said as he gawked at the scene with narrowed eyes.

“Don’t you have class?” Luhan asked the boy beside him.

“Ah-“ Sehun held up his finger. “I forgot.” He shrugged. “I’ll try again next week.”

“You’re hopeless.” Lu han said as he shook his head disapprovingly.  

“Come again!” Jongin smilingly waved his hands at the girls exiting the shop. “Bye-bye!”

“You’re doing an awfully good job at this.” Luhan said, nudging Jongin on his side.

“Y-yea.” He answered, rubbing his nape shyly at the compliment. “Well, I really just want our boss to like me.”

Chanyeol snorted. “You’re asking for the impossible.”

“What do you mean?”

“Kyungsoo doesn’t like people.” Sehun said, walking pass the three.

“Like you’re the one to talk.” Chanyeol answered as he slapped Sehun’s hand away from the rack of magazines.

“Hyung!”

“Get back to work!”

Sehun threw the giant a glare before walking off to serve a table.

“Kai, mind going to the university to pass out fliers?” Luhan asked, handing Jongin the stack of papers.

“I can do that!” He said, taking the fliers before disappearing his way out the doors.

Just as Jongin left the vicinity, a car was seen pulling up an empty parking space in front of the coffee shop. A short male with chocolate colored locks was seen coming out of the vehicle.

“Kyungsoo!” Chanyeol called out as he jogged over to open the door for the fraught brunette. “You didn’t show up for four days straight! Where the hell were you?” He nagged and Kyungsoo raised a brow at him. “I mean… it’s just not natural for you to skip work like that.” Chanyeol added in whisper as he quickly turned his head away, a pink blush evident on his cheeks.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at the giant. “I had some business to take care of with the suppliers.” He said, walking pass Chanyeol. “They completely messed up our orders.”

“Yo.” Luhan greeted with a wave.

Kyungsoo looked at Luhan before looking around the room and back to Luhan again. “Where’s Tao’s replacement?” He asked.

“Ah, Kai? I sent him off to give out fliers.” Luhan informed him.

“Kai?”

“Yup.”

Kyungsoo stared at the blonde for a moment. It couldn’t be. “What’s he like?”

“He’s pretty good with the customers.” Luhan replies.

Kyungsoo was expecting a more descriptive answer but he doesn’t care to ask further questions. Because the Kai that he knew couldn’t possibly work as a waiter. “I’m just gonna go get some papers in my office and I’ll leave right after. I still have an appointment at three.” He said before darting his way pass the blonde and up his office.

“He’s in a good mood.” Sehun concludes and Luhan rolled his eyes.

“He should stop overworking himself.” Chanyeol muttered grumpily behind the counter.

“Calm the down.” Sehun said, throwing the giant a half bitten cookie. “We all know that you have the hots for Kyungsoo but can you not make it so obvious?”

“Sehun’s right.” Luhan said, patting Chanyeol lightly on his back. “And you’re gonna have to pay for those cookies Oh Sebrat.”

“Whatever, Lunot so manly.” Sehun retorted.

Chanyeol feigned a laugh. “I don’t like Kyungsoo.”

“Very convincing, Park Chanerd.” Sehun clicked his tongue. “Why deny it when you obviously like Do Kyungspawn of Satan.”

“Stop.”

“Make me.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. “How did I get you two as friends?” He sighed in exasperation.

“Yeol, I’m leaving you in charge.” Luhan and Sehun were left gaping at Kyungsoo’s sudden reappearance. Chanyeol, nodding at Kyungsoo’s words, was the only one left unshaken. “Don’t forget to lock the doors.” He instructed before exiting and leaving his workers behind.

“How does he do that?” Sehun asked, still stunned at the revelation. “Hyung, does your boyfriend have superpowers?”

“You’ll get used to it after a while.” Chanyeol said, waving goodbye for the car outside. “And he’s not my boyfriend.”

 

“Here’s the cake you ordered.” Luhan handed Jongin the brown paper bag and beamed. “For a special someone I presume?” He asked.

Jongin looked at the blonde for a while as Luhan then chuckled and nodded his head towards the paper bag he was holding. “Ah, no.” He shook his head, raising the bag. “It’s for a friend. He lets me stay at his house for free so it’s the least I could do.” He explained.

“Ah.”

Their conversation was cut short when the doors were suddenly rammed open to a short and panting male with arms comically stretched out to both sides. His dark raven hair was a wet mess as it completely had his face covered. His features only became visible when his head shot up to where the four men were standing.

“We’re closed.” Sehun said, pointing at the ‘we’re closed’ sign hung on one side of the glass doors.

“W-what- seriously?!” The stranger had his arms flung down as he then bowed his head in disappointment.

Chanyeol grabbed a clean towel from under the counter before walking his way over to the short panting male. “I’m sure we still have time to serve one more customer.” He said, throwing the towel on the person’s head.

“I’m outta here.” Sehun announced as he passed the two guys and exited himself through the doors.

“Me too, Yeol.” Luhan gave the giant a sympathetic smile. “Boyfriend duties.” He said as he waved Chanyeol his unanswered phone which had ‘wifey’ written as caller id.

“Kai?” Chanyeol turned to Jongin who was now anxiously playing with his fingers. “I get it, you have to go too.”

“Y-yea.”

“Fine.” The giant sighed as the rest of his friends left him unaccompanied with a customer.

“I’m so sorry.” The short male mumbled softly, biting his lip in embarrassment.

Chanyeol shook his head. “Nah, it’s fine.” He walked to his post at the counter and smiled. “So, what would you like to order?”

The customer gave out a toothy grin before jumping his way over to where Chanyeol was. “One Iced Milk Tea to go.” He chuckled nervously when the giant then raised an eyebrow at him. It was if he was being judged. “I-I don’t drink coffee at night.”

“Of course.” Chanyeol said as he shook his head at the customer. I should’ve just gone home.

“I’m Baekhyun by the way, Byun Baekhyun. What’s your name?”

“Check the nametag.”

“Chanyeol?”

“No, Taylor Swift.”

“Y-you’re funny.. “

“It’s a gift.”

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

 

a/n: so. much. dialogue. *cringes* idk.. Ive reread this so many times and I just cant. Im so sorry if its complete bullcrap *cries* But omg thank you guys for subbing upvoting and commenting. I feel super pumped when I see ppl leaving comments. it makes me feel motivated and happy and warm inside hihi. Anyway, next chapter will be Kyungsoo’s POV so do look forward to it : )