Chapter 1

For a Reason

 

“Daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy~!” Xiao Lin sang as she danced around the living room.

 

Joonmyun looked up from the news paper in his hand at his daughter who was happily minding her own business in front of him.

 

‘Definitely my daughter.’ He thought to himself before turning his attention back to the news paper.

 

Xiao Lin was a hyper girl. Even as a baby she never stopped moving, she didn’t cry a lot, but she was always on the move and as she got older, it got worse. It took her about a week to get crawling down to where she was a pro and walking, she was definitely the only toddler Joonmyun had ever seen learn to walk so fast. She was only six, but she was athletic already, she loved to run and dance, ride her bike or her scooter. She was a ball of energy.

 

“Daddy, it’s summer and I’m bored, can we go swimming?” Joonmyun lowered his news paper to come face to face with his little Xiao Lin whose face was literally not even three inches away from his own.

 

He cocked an eyebrow “Swimming?” he asked and she nodded “Baby, the pool isn’t even open yet.”

 

She frowned “Daddy, we have the sprinkler in the back yard though! That’s what I want to play in!” she said making it seem like the most obvious thing on the planet.

 

Joonmyun looked at her frown for a moment before laughing “Alright, well, go get your swimming suit on then.”

 

Her frown was a grin in a nanosecond and she was shouting happily as she ran up the stairs and to the left to her room leaving her daddy still sitting on the couch.

 

“Oh my goodness, child.” Joonmyun chuckled to himself as he stood up from the couch and tossed the paper down in his place.

 

Joonmyun made his way towards the kitchen, put his coffee cup in the sink and made his way back out of the kitchen and to the back door that lead out to their rather large backyard.

 

Squinting his eyes at the brightness of the morning sun, Joonmyun internally groaned. It was too damn early for this. He went over to the hose where the sprinkler was already attached and dragged it out to the middle of the yard.

 

He adjusted it so it would have a huge radius of water being sprayed, he gave himself a nod of approval as well as a surprise face full of cold water and a giggling little girl behind him.

 

Joonmyun almost squawked as he jumped back away from the freezing water and to a safe distance. Once out of range, he put his hands on his hips and slowly turn his body and attention to a giggling little girl who was just having the time of her life watching her daddy get soaked.

 

“Kim Xiao Lin.” Joonmyun said looking at his daughter who was all dressed up in her little blue bikini swimsuit and her hair tied up in cute little pigtails.

 

“Yes daddy?” Xiao Lin giggled looking at her daddy innocently.

 

Joonmyun just couldn’t get upset with her. She was too damn cute for her own good and it was killing him, oh the boys he’d have to fend off when she got older. Instead of talking, he just let out something a little like a sigh mixed with a laugh “Nothing baby, girl.” He said and started walking over to her.

 

Xiao Lin just giggled and right as she was going to go closer to the sprinkler, Joonmyun picked her up and ran right into the water getting her soaking wet. “Daddy~!!!!!” she squealed at the top of her lungs while giggling and shielding her face from the still cold water.

 

Joonmyun let her down and ran back to a safe distance and sat down on the porch no longer really caring about the fact that he was soaking wet. He smiled and laughed watching Xiao Lin squeal and giggle as she played happily in the water. This was his life and what he would give to keep it that way forever, he loved his little girl and wouldn’t change a damn thing about his life now. Given there are things he wish wouldn’t have changed in the first place, but at the same time, those things that happened in the past were just that. In the past where they belonged.

 

He laughed when Xiao Lin ran right through the water giggling her little off like the adorable little girl she was. He would gladly continue watching her play if it wasn’t for the obnoxious ringing coming from inside the house “Hey baby girl, daddy will be right back okay?” Joonmyun called to Xiao Lin as he stood up to go inside.

 

“Okay daddy~!”

 

Joonmyun went inside and straight to the obnoxiously ringing landline picking it up with the generic ‘Hello?’.

 

“Well it’s about time!!”

 

Joonmyun cracked a smile “Sorry ma, how are you doing?”

 

“Well mister, your mother is doing good even though you never call me! How are you and little miss doing?”

 

“That’s good, we’re doing good, she’s out playing in the sprinkler right now.”

 

“How cute, take pictures!!! I want to see her!”

 

Joonmyun laughed and nodded “Alright ma, I’ll take some pictures for ya.” He smiled “But what brings you to call me all of a sudden?”

 

“Well, I was going to ask if you’d come out and visit your momma after so many years of not seeing me and I’d love to see my beautiful little granddaughter as well.”

 

Joonmyun thought about it for a moment, did he really want to take Xiao Lin out of the country at such a young age? While six wasn’t too terribly young, it would probably be quite the amount of stress on her body with the long flight they’d have to take as well as just being away from home in general “Well, I can talk to Xiao Lin about it, she’s the one I’m worried out, that’s kind of the reason we haven’t come to visit, she’s never been on a car ride no longer than two hours let alone flying in a plane.”

 

His mother stayed quiet for a minute before sighing “Alright well, I’d love to see you both this summer, but if you feel she’s still to young, then maybe we can try and meet up next summer or something, but I do hope you’ll at least consider it. Tell my little girl hi for me and to keep smiling, I’ll call you again in a day or two okay?”

 

“Okay ma, don’t work too hard now, I’ll talk to you soon.”

 

“You too baby boy, I love you.”

 

“I love you too ma.”

 

He pressed the little red phone button and put the phone back on its charger and laid his chin in his palm. He wasn’t going to lie and say he didn’t want to go, he was definitely unsure about going, but not scared or afraid by any means. Xiao Lin hasn’t seen his mom since his dad’s funeral when she was only two and she barely remembers her, if it weren’t for pictures, she would have easily forgotten who she was. He sighed heavily and closed his eyes for a minute. He’d have to talk to Xiao Lin at dinner or something, if she really wanted to go, then maybe he’d think about trying to get something figured out to where Xiao Lin could see her grandma.

 

 

 

“Baby girl, can daddy talk to you about something tonight?” Joonmyun asked knocking slightly on Xiao Lin’s bedroom door.

 

Xiao Lin looked up from her coloring book sprawled out on her lap “Of course daddy, what do you want to talk to me about?”

 

Joonmyun gave her a small smile “Get dressed, we’ll go out for dinner tonight, is that okay with you?”

 

Her eyes widened and she nodded her head vigorously “Okay daddy!” Joonmyun smiled and closed her door again.

 

Xiao Lin immediately got up and got dressed from her simple sundress, her daddy hardly ever took her out to eat, not that she complained, her daddy was an amazing cook, but it was always fun when she got to go out to different places to eat and the best part about going out to eat with her daddy is they went to his friends restaurant to eat and Xiao Lin loved her daddy’s friend Kyungsoo, he always gave her a piece of any dessert she wanted and always got it for free.

 

Not even five minutes later, Xiao Lin was out of her peach colored sundress she put on after her sprinkler adventure that morning and was dressed in a pair of grey capri leggings, a blue short sleeve shirt that went to her midthigh with a big pretty purple flower on the front and her hair ebony hair down brushed to perfection.

 

She ran out of her room and downstairs to where Joonmyun was sitting on the couch, he was dressed in a pair of nice faded blue jeans, a white crew neck t shirt and a simple grey hoodie. Joonmyun looked up and smiled at his little girl when she walked right up next to him “Ready to go?”

 

She nodded with a big smile “Are we going to see uncle Kyungsoo too?”

 

Joonmyun smiled with a chuckle “Is that where you want to go eat, or do you want to go somewhere else? You can pick tonight baby girl.”

 

Xiao Lin thought for a second “I want to go to the place with the big fan on the wall again, do you remember that place daddy?” she asked “I want to go there!”

 

Joonmyun chuckled, he knew where she wanted to go “Alright, then let’s head out, I’m hungry.” He smiled.

 

“Me too!” she threw her hands in the air and ran towards the garage door.

 

Joonmyun followed his hyper daughter out to the garage and helped her into his car and the two left home for the night for a nice daddy, daughter dinner.

 

 

Xiao Lin was a little too excited when they sat down to eat, the waitress was just laughing away at how happy she was while Joonmyun was just watching her, her energy levels were superhuman. It was crazy.

 

“What did you want to talk to me about daddy?” she asked with big eyes.

 

“Do you remember my mom, grandma?” he asked.

 

Her eyes got wider “She’s the pretty lady who sends me flowers on my birthday right?! That’s her?!” she asked excitedly.

 

Joonmyun laughed “Yes baby girl, that’s her.”

 

“What about her daddy?”

 

“Do you want to go see grandma this summer?”

 

“YES!”

 

“Xiao Lin, lower your voice, we’re in a restaurant.” Joonmyun chuckled.

 

She smiled guilty “Sorry daddy.”

 

“Grandma lives in a different country really far from here, we’d have to fly in an airplane to go see her. It’ll be a long flight.”

 

Xiao Lin frowned confused “But, we’re still going to see her, right daddy?”

 

“Well, that’s up to you baby, we’ve only took daddy’s car to go places, we’ve never taken a plane anywhere. Daddy’s worried about you flying, you’re still a little girl.”

 

“I’ll be okay daddy, I want to go see grandma and you do too, so let’s go~” she smiled.

 

“Okay, I’ll call grandma after dinner and tell her we’re coming to see her, you better start packing when you wake up tomorrow morning so we can go see grandma sooner, okay?”

 

“Okay daddy!”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

First chapter is done, sorry for the wait guys >.<

Forgive me? :)

See you next chapter!

Don't forget to comment and upvote :)

 

TaeTae<3