Three

Searching For Paradise



 

🌴🌴🌴

The next few days feel like a blur to Kyungsoo. 

The rest of the day of the incident consists of authorities flying into the island and the deceased American guest being flown out in a black body-bag. Luckily, the rich guest’s wife doesn’t press any charges because she understood that the resort was not to be held responsible when the authorities surmised that the death was a homicide by an unknown person. Kyungsoo’s father spends the couple of days filling out paper work and making sure that the news of the murder stayed as hidden as possible (but also snapping at anyone who bothers him for information of what was going on. [Read: Kyungsoo]). 

And Kyungsoo - after the initial craziness settles down - spends the days moping around at the front desk or his secret beach, filled with an endless amount of curiosity and not enough questions answered. He continues to check in guests who are non the wiser of the recent happenings, and he can only mock-happily hope for them to enjoy their stay. 

When he really thinks about it, Kyungsoo can’t say that he feels positive towards the homicide, though the American did speak to him (and others) horribly, he still didn’t deserve to die. Truthfully, he feels more numb to the whole ordeal, still reeling from watching the blood seeping into the deceased’s expensive silk shirt and smelling the rotten stench of a carcass left in the sun for far too long. Kyungsoo was just more concerned about the fact that there was an apparent murderer running around his precious sanctuary, ready to strike at any moment in time. It hurt the red-head to know that his once precious safe-haven of an island was slowly being corrupted by such a devastating event as this. The city was a horrible place for Kyungsoo already, and returning to the resort was the only thing that helped push him through the grueling school year for three months of freedom, but now, even that was being taken away from him as well.

And yet, despite feeling down about the recent happenings on the island, what struck Kyungsoo the most was Kai’s reaction to the whole ordeal. The tall brunet didn’t even seem fazed by the gruesome sight of the dead body and horrifying amount of blood in the ditch. Kyungsoo lost track of Kai over the next few days as the initial shock of the murder set in, but he did noticed that he had suspiciously disappeared after the authorities arrived in the helicopter. But then again, it’s not as if Kyungsoo invests a great amount of time into his guests to care enough of their whereabouts every second of the day.

It’s three days later when Kyungsoo looks up and hears footsteps approaching the front desk, seeing Chanyeol strolling towards him with his lips pressed together in rare seriousness. “Hey, Soo. How’re you holding up?” The two friends hadn’t had a chance to meet up since the incident, what with their hectic work schedules and Kyungsoo’s tendency to keep to himself in the face of serious conflict. 

“I’m alright, I guess. Just kind of shocked and confused, you know?” The taller nods in understanding, feeling the same way. 

“I can’t believe there’s a murderer walking around the island. We’re in some deep , man,” Chanyeol thinks aloud, for lack of something better to say. Kyungsoo nods silently in agreement, still mulling over the meaning of that sentence.

“Aren’t the authorities filing a case to find the person? Won’t the murderer know and try to escape?” Kyungsoo wonders, looking up at the other. Normally, the redhead would never let others know that he’s interested in someone else’s business, but he’s really dying to find out more information since his father has been locking him out of the office all this time.

“Yeah, I think your dad thought about that too. That’s why he’s making sure none of the guests leave early, and none of them find out about it. We basically pretend nothing’s happened until the undercover agent finds the guy.” Chanyeol explains diligently. Kyungsoo tries not to feel jealous that the other somehow knows more information than him, but it doesn’t seem like the most important issue to address right now.

“Undercover agent?” 

“Yeah we have a guy here, like a detective, you know, to try and find the other killer guy,” Chanyeol replies with a shrug, as if it’s not a big deal that there are both a murderer and a secret agent - who also look like regular people - roaming around the place. 

“Do you know who-” 

Before Kyungsoo can finish his sentence, he’s interrupted by one of the kitchen staff calling Chanyeol to work. “Sorry, I gotta go. I’ll meet you during break?” The taller doesn’t even give him a chance to respond before he walks off to the kitchen with a wave, leaving Kyungsoo to sigh to himself at the desk. 

He tries not roll his eyes when he sees a guest approaching the counter out of his peripheral and looks up with a courteous smile, but it almost slips off again when he recognizes who it is. 

Kris Wu. Possibly the most unpleasant guest Kyungsoo has ever had the misfortune of working for.

“Soo, long time no see! I just came in a few days ago, but I sadly didn’t see you on check-in. You know, I’ve missed that gorgeous face of yours.” Ah, there it was, the unsolicited compliments and greasy, gummy smile that always accompanied them - as per usual.

“I’ve told you multiple times, Mr. Wu. I’d prefer it if you would refrain from calling me that.” Kyungsoo can hear the annoyance seeping into his voice, but he has to play nice or his father will have his head for driving away the island’s most valued costumer. 

Kris Wu being the most valued costumer also meant that the fourty-four year old man’s habit of hitting on people far younger than him and being a general unpleasant person to be around was always overlooked because of his monetary value. Kyungsoo remembers when the CEO of one of the biggest entertainment companies in the country had first arrived, three years ago. Kyungsoo didn’t know much about him then, other than the fact that he went by multiple different names and enjoyed flirting with Kyungsoo and making him uncomfortable - for whatever reason.

Mr. Wu leans in with his elbows on the front desk, eyes twinkling with mischief that really just make Kyungsoo want to hurl. “Aw, I can tell you missed me too, Soo, even if you don’t show it.” He wishes he could respond with a snarky in your dreams, creep! but before he gets a chance to, another voice floats in from the side.

“Kyungsoo? Is this guy bothering you?” Of course it has to be Kai standing there with an unreadable expression on his face and his mouth set in a firm frown. Mr. Wu and Kyungsoo both turn to him, the former with a similar frown marring his lips and the latter with a look of utter relief.

“No, it’s fine. I was just done speaking to Mr. Wu, here.” The red-head behind the counter gives a pointed look to the millionaire, with an emphasis on the word done paired with a sweet smile just to aggravate the other.

Kai looks carefully between the two before turning to Kyungsoo with a shrug and a mega-watt grin. “I realized I don’t actually know much about the island, so I was wondering if you could give me a tour of the place. I’m gonna be here a while so I thought I might as well get my bearings, you know?” He finishes with an awkward scratch behind neck as he feels two pairs of curious eyes on him.

Kyungsoo considers the option of leaving the front desk to tour Kai around the place, and realizes he might as well since it’s been a slow afternoon anyway and technically giving island tours is an actual part of his job description. Plus, anything to get away from Mr. Wu is a great bonus. 

“Sure, I can do it right now if you’re free?” With an eager nod from Kai, Kyungsoo quickly places a Reception Closed sign on the desk and stuffs his keys, phone, and walkie-talkie into his board shorts. He owns about six pairs that he just continuously wears with his uniform shirt, since he spends most of his time either behind the desk or in the water anyway. “Right this way.”

Kyungsoo almost forgets about Mr. Wu standing there until the man shuffles awkwardly and mutters, “Well you two go have fun then, with your alone time.” Kyungsoo does what he usually does and just stiffly smiles to the taller with his weird hidden messages with implications he doesn’t care to think about, walking out behind the desk to the French entrance doors with Kai in tow. Kris Wu just sighs to himself and thinks a little afternoon drink is in order as he heads off to the bar.

Kai glances backwards after he and Kyungsoo exit the Resort lobby, confusion written all over his face. “What was that about?” 

The redhead shakes his head with a chuckle. “God If I knew. That weirdo’s always speaking in some sort of code he thinks I’m supposed to understand but never really do.” They walk out the door and down the patio that leads around to the steps down to the swimming pool. “And not to mention the creepy flirting that always goes with it. It’s been like that for three years. Well - the flirting thing is more recent. I’m not entirely sure what that’s about - he probably does it with everyone, you know, because he’s used to being all high and mighty and expects everyone to feel lucky to just hit on by him.” He ends with a chuckle as they climb down the steps and pause by the empty poolside to admire the late afternoon sun twinkling on its calm surface. Kyungsoo doesn’t notice Kai’s expression darkening the more he speaks, but he does notice when he snorts loudly as if not believing what he’s hearing.

When Kai opens his mouth, Kyungsoo expects for him to elaborate on what he finds so amusing, but instead he just states a plain, “Ah, I can see why you don’t like swimming in the pool as much, since your secret beach is so much prettier.” 

“Right? I love it there a lot more than here.” They make their way around the mini-Olympic sized pool to a paved slope that winds around it and down to the sandy beach. Kyungsoo waves a casual arm around the general area of the beach in front of them and starts with his tour. “So, this is the front of the island, as you can probably tell. If you squint far enough, you’ll see a teeny tiny smudge which is the mainland a couple miles from the city. Um, that’s pretty much it on this front. I’ll show you the woods. But like the scenic part, not the straggly part we always seem to be running through.” 

Kai smiles along with Kyungsoo as they turn to the right to begin walking along the edge of the beach and eventually to a marked path into the trees.

“So have you been on the island your whole life?” Kyungsoo knows Kai’s probably just trying to make small talk, but he appreciates the effort nonetheless.

“Yeah, basically. I was born in the city, but I grew up here and have been homeschool until the end of high school. Now I go to college away from the island during the school year and return every summer to work.” 

The taller keeps getting this weird look in his eyes as if he’s drinking in everything Kyungsoo is saying and hanging onto every word as if they are of upmost importance, and it’s really disconcerting to the redhead. He shrugs it off as they keep walking though, focusing on admiring the lush greens of the trees surrounding them and the crunch of the wood chips along the path under his feet.

“Wow, I can’t imagine that; being homeschooled all my life. It must have been a huge shock starting college.” Kyungsoo leads them to a left turn when they come to a fork in the path, the right leading to deeper in the forest and eventually around the back of the resort.

“Yeah it’s been hard adjusting - it still kinda is. But I’m getting by, you know? And I always get to look forward to this every summer, so it’s not too bad.” Kyungsoo can’t remember the last time he’s spoken this much about himself to a near stranger - in fact he doesn’t think he ever has (but it’s not as if anyone’s taken an interest in his life before) - but there’s something about the taller’s gentle demeanor and kind smile that makes him want to trust him more. Well, he supposes Kai can’t be considered a stranger now, he’s more of…a friend. Not too close of a friend, of course, but just a friend. 

“What about you? What do you do?” Kyungsoo inquires, wanting to return the politeness, but he also really wants to find out more about the tall, dark, and mysterious Kai. 

“You know, a little bit of everything. I have some specific interests; dance, music - amongst other things. Nothing really special.” The brunet shrugs off the question easily, and Kyungsoo can’t help but think it’s a very evasive sort of answer for such a simple question. But he decides to not push it further, as he doesn’t want Kai to be suspicious if he starts interrogating him about his life.

On their tour through the forest, the shorter explains more about the plants and wildlife around them, sharing how appreciative he is of the peace and quiet and being one with nature. They walk further down the path and stop at a clearing that gives way to a small body of water.

Kyungsoo spreads his arms wide in mock excitement, and explains, “Here is the swamp. Nothing too exciting, runs in from the ocean on the left. It’s pretty difficult to swim through so I wouldn’t recommend it.” He ends with a chuckle and the other joins in.

“So I’m guessing you’ve tried swimming in it before?” The redhead sees the smirk pulling the corner of Kai’s mouth up so he knows he’s teasing him, but he still feels indignant in his response that it was only one time, okay! which causes both of them to break out into chuckles.

“Come on, I’ll show you something cool to conclude this amazingly extravagant tour.” Kyungsoo leads Kai back to walk around the perimeter of the swamp straight to the beach where they hop over a grassy divide with clusters of palm trees growing on it that hide Kyungsoo’s secret beach from the rest of the island. As they’re walking, the redhead states, “I kind of have to cut this tour short because my break’s soon and I promised Chanyeol I’d meet up with him, but I promise you the only thing I left out are the hills over there and they’re really not that exciting, so…”

“Oh, that’s fine by me. Chanyeol’s the really tall guy right?” Kai raises his palm flat over his head for emphasis and nods in understanding when Kyungsoo affirms it. 

The duo walk further and further along Kyungsoo’s secret beach to the far end where a group of boulders lie. The sun is starting to set and a few stars are already twinkling in the lavender sky. The shorter pauses to point it out, so both males then stop to just admire the gorgeous gradient of pinks and oranges and purples lighting up the beautiful dusk heavens.

“Here’s a view you never get in the city, hey?” Kyungsoo smirks at the taller, who’s gazing at the sky in awe.

“I mean, I’ve been here for four days but I’m still not used to how beautiful everything is here,” Kai breathes out. His vision switches from looking at the sky to looking at Kyungsoo, who’s back to looking upwards, not noticing Kai’s heavy gaze on his face.

“Anyway, I know this is great and all but this isn’t the cool thing I wanted to show you. Follow me - this way,” the redhead waves the taller along as he walks around the boulders and up a small slope of sand. Looking down at the rocks, Kai realizes they’re not just rocks after all but actually the connected roof of a large cave below it. There’s a hole about a square meter wide in the side that the brunet would definitely have never noticed if Kyungsoo hadn’t pointed it out to him. The shorter leads Kai into the cave by sliding into the entrance on his rear and climbing down the rocky outcroppings. When they both finally land on the sandy cave floor, Kai feels his breath catch in his throat at the sight. The whole cave pretty impressive in size, and the hole in the wall with the few stars and the rising moon that are out shine through with an ethereal twinkle. It’s cool and comfortable on the large cave floor, and there’s a pool of water on the other end, glowing beautifully in the gold of the setting sun.

“You already knew about the beach so I figured I might as well show you my secret cave as well. Now this no one actually knows about. Not even Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo says as he walks to the edge and sits down with his legs in the water. Kai gets over his astonishment over the cave quickly when a feeling of satisfaction rises him at knowing that not even Kyungsoo’s tall friend knows about this place. He joins the other in sitting down by him and swinging his legs in the water, still admiring the amount of beauty he sees around him.

“Also, there’s another opening under the water here, so you can swim into the cave from the beach - that’s how I actually discovered the place.” The redhead points to the water, where the light is coming from, and then it makes sense to Kai that obviously there must be another exit there for the sunlight to be streaming in through. 

“Wow this place is really amazing. Thank you so much for showing me, Kyungsoo,” Kai turns to the other with a bright but grateful smile, and that’s when they both realize how close they’re sitting to each other. Kai glances down at Kyungsoo’s lips and inches his hand to hold on to the other’s, leaning in closer and closer. 

“What are you doing?” Kai freezes at Kyungsoo’s words, pulling his whole body back like he’d just been burnt. 

“W-what? Didn’t you b-bring me here so that- I just…I thought…”

“Well, you thought wrong, Kai! Wow, I really can’t do this right now. God, I cannot believe you!” Kyungsoo quickly scrambles up in his outrage and hastily climbs out of the cave, needing to get as far away as possible from the other. 

On the cave floor, Kai hangs his head in shame and feels like the stupidest person on the whole planet.

__________

A/N: ......sorry....i made...kris...an old...ert....guy.......(I asked my friend who I should put as the 40 yr old creeper guy and she said kris...so....... :D)

Ahhh sorry this took so long!!! Life has been crazy with the end of school and exams and finals and then when summer started it was really just me procrastinating all the time and not feeling inspired :///
But updates will be more frequent and longer, I promise!! I only plan of having like 3 or 4 more chapters...idk...I know I don't want it to be longer than 10 heh..Plus I have so many other fic ideas I needa work on....

Also I really enjoy reading comments!! So if you ever feel like letting me know about how you feel about the characters/plot/anything, or if you just wanna suggest stuff that I should write in here, leave me a comment! I'd really appreciate it :-))))

*Also! I was thinking of drawing a map of the island for you guys? If you're interested in that? Just so it's easier to understand the layout and how everything looks. I'll probs add it in the next chapter anyway~ ^ ^


((tumblr))