Two

Searching For Paradise

 

!! Trigger Warning: mention of blood !!

_____________________________________________

     Kyungsoo unexpectedly bumps into the good-looking stranger (quite literally) again the next morning.

He’s on his way through the small woods for his daily early morning swim, a ritual he started two years ago when the stress was at its worst and he needed a good tension reliever. Kyungsoo likes to swim in the ocean by his special little beach area at the opposite end of the resort. He supposes he could swim in the mini Olympic pool by the hotel, but why swim with other humans in a chemical-filled place when he could just swim peacefully by himself at his secret place just ten minutes away?

He makes it to the sandy area and kicks off his flip flops, humming a tune as he pulls off his shirt and lays it on top of his shoes, along with his towel, phone, keys, and work-issued walkie-talkie for emergencies. He wades into the water until it’s to his thighs and takes a deep breath, just pausing for a moment to stare out at the horizon.

He loves this time of day, when the sky is calm and the sea serene. That time between nighttime and sunrise where the hushed dusk makes him feel like he’s the only person in existence in the whole, wide world. Just him, the endless stretch of ocean, and his thoughts. Though, sometimes Kyungsoo’s thoughts are not all happy ones, he prefers to stay inside his mind rather than express himself to others so as not to burden them with all the baggage he’s carrying around. Being homeschooled at the resort until the end of high school can do that to a person, he bitterly thinks.

Kyungsoo steps out a little further into the water until it’s up to his chest and kicks off, swimming out further and further until the island is a few hundred feet behind him. He swims up and down a bit, speeding up as he goes, and only focusing on the fast beating of his heart and the cool touch of the water on his skin. 

After half an hour, he switches to a slow backstroke in the shallows to cool down. And that’s when he crashes into something, very painfully. Or rather, someone swims into him. His head goes under water and he immediately chokes, since he tried to inhale from the shock. Kyungsoo feels someone wrap their arms under his armpits and pull him to standing. When he emerges from the waist-deep water, he automatically leans on his savior, sputtering and coughing up the water caught in his lungs. He faintly hears someone exclaim, “Oh god I’m so sorry!” over and over again but he’s too busy trying to keep from suffocating to death to take full notice.

When he does eventually recover, however, Kyungsoo straightens up and finds himself staring into the deep, worried eyes of the handsome man from yesterday. He realizes he’s still holding onto the stranger’s arm and quickly lets go, taking a few steps backwards in embarrassment.

“Are you alright? I’m so sorry I didn’t see you!” The man still seems to be apologizing profusely for almost drowning him, so Kyungsoo waves his hand in dismissal to reassure him.

“It’s okay, really. I’m fine,” his voice sounds raspy from the coughing but he tries to smile as sincerely as he can.

“Oh, god, I feel terrible! You almost died!” Well, Kyungsoo wouldn’t really go so far as to say that but the man is so genuine in his concern that Kyungsoo can’t help but be amused.

“I’m all good, I promise. It was just an accident, Mr. …” At this point, the resort-worker realizes he doesn’t even know the man’s name, nor anything about the mysterious guy, really. Not that he would expect to, since he didn’t really like to get close to the guests. (He’s made that mistake before.)

“Oh, it’s Kim Kai, but just call me Kai!” The handsome man, no- Kai - says with great enthusiasm. And Kyungsoo doesn’t even bat an eyelid at the obviously fake name, since many of the celebrity guests use them for obvious reasons. He does vaguely wonder, however, how someone can be so chipper and bright so early in the morning. He’s starting to feel a distinct pain in his head and Kyungsoo doesn’t think it’s all completely related to Kai crashing into it.

“Kai. It’s nice to meet you. I’m Kyungsoo,” he introduces, but determinedly decides in his head that their relation will end with just knowing each others names. Anything else would be too much for what Kyungsoo can allow himself. 

Kai smiles and nods in return, still looking sheepish at the whole almost-drowning-incident. The atmosphere turns quite stiff and awkward, as Kyungsoo is not one to start conversations with strangers and Kai still looks like he’s actually killed someone by accident. They make their way to land, and that’s when Kyungsoo realizes they’re on his special secret little beach that barely anybody knows about. He sees other clothes and another pair of shoes laying on the sand and turns to Kai in question.

“How did you find this place? Barely anyone knows about it,” the smaller man tries not to sound upset, but - well, it is his beach.

“Oh, uh, I got lost, for like an hour? In the trees? But then I saw the sand and your clothes and stuff so I figured it was open for everybody?” Kai scratches the back of his neck and looks more and more guilty as he watches Kyungsoo’s face harden. “Did I do something wrong?” He adds in a smaller voice.

“No, it’s fine, I guess. This is just kinda my secret getaway beach area. Like I mentioned; only a few people know it exists. Guess I feel kinda possessive over it…” Kyungsoo trails off awkwardly, not wanting Kai to think he was some weirdo who felt territorial over land like some pioneer from the 1500’s.

“Oh gosh! I’m sorry for trespassing then! And the whole…swimming thing…again. Um.” He was blushing and being so painfully awkward that Kyungsoo was trying to hold back his smile, thinking that for a handsome celebrity, he wasn’t very good at the whole social interaction thing. (But then again, neither was he.)

Before he can reply and tell the new guest to stop apologizing, though, there’s a rustle from behind them as Chanyeol emerges from the far end of the bushes, a panicked expression on his face. They both turn in curiosity as Chanyeol takes off to sprint towards them, the fear evident in every etch of his face despite the distance between them.

“I thought you said this place was sorta a secret?” Kai whispers in confusion.

“Well, the doofus followed me when I came here once, so it was kinda accidental, I guess.” By the time Kyungsoo’s done speaking, Chanyeol has reached them, stopping a few yards in front of them to bend over and catch his breath. Kai raises his eyebrows in inquiry, and raises them even higher when he notices Chanyeol pause to take in Kyungsoo’s half- form. Interesting.

Oh my god we’ve been trying to reach you on the walkie-talkie forever, Soo,” Chanyeol’s still out of breath from running all the way from the hotel to the beach as he straightens back up and worriedly looks at the said person.

“Why, what’s wrong? Did something happen?” Kyungsoo starts to get alarmed at the franticness of Chanyeol’s voice. The taller of the two looks at Kai hesitantly before turning to the red-head again.

“You better come quick and talk to your dad. One of the guests have gone missing.”

🌴🌴🌴

    The trio speed back through the trees as fast as they can, with Kai stumbling a little bit behind the other two since he’s unfamiliar with the unmarked path filled with tree roots and bushes in his way. They make it back to the resort and pause at the back double doors, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol both turning to Kai.

“Um, sorry, sir, but you’re not permitted to enter here.” Kai looks between them both, frowning like he wanted to protest, especially to Chanyeol who had made the comment. Instead he looks to Kyungsoo and says,

“Will I be able to see you later then? If I can do anything to help?” If Kyungsoo and Chanyeol are both surprised by his straightforwardness, they hide it well. Kyungsoo just nods and smiles slightly at a hopeful looking Kai, not used to the blatant show of attention to him. They both slip inside as Kai turns away from the door with a sigh.

They walk through the massive kitchen and the winding hallways where all the employees usually hang around, to meet Kyungsoo’s father in his office that’s next to the reception area. 

“So what was up with that? He seemed eager to see you again,” Chanyeol teases with a knowing grin as they walk.

“Shut up,” Kyungsoo grumbles in return as they enter the office.

“Dad, what’s wrong? Chanyeol said someone’s missing?” Kyungsoo immediately cuts to the chase, sitting in one of the chairs facing the desk whilst Chanyeol sits in the other.

His father looks up from holding his head in his arms, a slightly lost look on his face.

“Yeah. He was reported this morning by his wife. She said that he went out for a swim last night by himself, and never returned.” As he speaks, he turns the computer monitor to that it faces towards them, and Kyungsoo gasps as he recognizes the picture on the screen as the angry American one who shouted at him yesterday about his room.

“We’ve been searching since early this morning, but we haven’t seen him anywhere. We’ve never had anyone go missing, ever. If this gets out to the public we are so done for. He’s a very rich, very important man. Doesn’t even matter if we find him alive or not, if we find him at all.” His father ends with a frustrated sigh and puts his head in his hands again. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo share an anxious look. The resort owner was right; if this got out to the public, there would be horribly severe repercussions for their business.

“I’m sure we’ll find him eventually, dad. We’ve just have to keep looking,” Kyungsoo tried to remain optimistic, but his father didn’t look very convinced.

“Maybe Mr. Kim was right…” The man opposite them mutters, and his son immediately perks up at that.

“Mr. Kim? As in Kim Kai? What’s he got to do with this?” Kyungsoo has so many questions, namely, who the hell is this mysterious Kai person, really?! 

But his dad just shakes his head as if he’s been broken from a trance.

“Huh? Nothing…I didn’t say anything. And, Kyungsoo, I want you to sweep the woods; you know them better than anyone. See if you can find the missing guy anywhere.” He states with finality, which means Kyungsoo has no room to argue. He also thinks better than to add more stress to his frazzled father who already looks like he’s on the verge of a nervous break-down. “You can go now,” he adds.

Kyungsoo was starting to get a bit annoyed at his father for dismissing him so quickly all the time, but now was not the time to voice his opinions about it.

As he slips out of the door into the hallway, Kyungsoo hears his father quietly talk to Chanyeol.

“I need you to speak with Mr. Kim. He needs to know about this.” 

“Yes, sir.”

🌴🌴🌴

Kyungsoo dashes away before Chanyeol or his father can find him eavesdropping outside.

Whilst escaping through the back door into the small forest, Kyungsoo ponders the secret identity that Kai is hiding. Why would he need to know about the private affairs of the island? What was his father whispering to him about on that first day?

He’s so curious he feels like his brain might explode from the intrigue. But Kyungsoo also can’t help but feel like everyone knows something he doesn’t, and that he must be the of some sort of very elaborate joke. In all his years of being on the island, that has always felt like home and security, Kyungsoo feels like he’s never felt so lost and confused before.

“Hey, Kyungsoo!” The said person was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t realize anyone was following him, so when Kai pops out of nowhere, Kyungsoo jumps in shock and trips over a stray root with a shout, scraping his arm along the way.

“Oh god, I’m so sorry! …I can’t believe I keep doing this…” Kai helps him stand and Kyungsoo brushes him off easily, feeling the headache from that morning come back in full-force.

“It’s fine, I’m okay,” he repeats with a distinct sense of deja-vu.

“Is everything alright? Like with your dad too?” Kyungsoo feels suspicious at Kai’s nosiness, but decides to tell him what’s going on anyway, since his dad didn’t seem to mind when speaking with Chanyeol either.

“Yeah, I guess. Remember that American guy who was yelling at me yesterday?” Kai nods with a frown, so the shorter continues, “He went missing last night, we can’t find him anywhere. That’s why I’m here, looking for him since I know this place the best.” They both continue to weave in and out of the trees, looking for any sign of life. Kyungsoo wonders why Kai seems to enjoy following him around, when they’re basically strangers. He wonders many things about Kai, actually. He knows from experience to never get invested into the guests of the island, but it seems that this may be a special case. The aura of mystery constantly surrounding the taller man had him feeling like he needed to know everything about the anomaly that is Kim Kai.

“Omigosh you’re bleeding!” Kai is staring wide-eyed at his arm, from when the red-head tripped and fell. There’s just a small bit of blood dripping down from the scratch running along his forearm, but Kyungsoo just nonchalantly shrugs and pulls a tissue from his pocket, dabbing at it as the other looks on with big eyes almost rivaling his own. “I’m sorry I keep hurting you, Kyungsoo,” Kai adds in a quiet, worried voice. Hearing that one line, Kyungsoo is suddenly transported to two years ago, when he heard those exact words come from someone else, and he realizes it still hurts. He blinks away the unexpected wetness from his eyes, and looks down, whispering that’s it’s okay, I’ll be fine. Kai doesn’t look convinced, but Kyungsoo doesn’t want him to start apologizing a mile a minute again, so he goes on;

“I guess I’m just worried about the missing guy. It would mean really bad things for the island if we don’t end up finding him. He also brought a lot of money into the resort, as much as a douche he was.” The brunet chuckles in response to his bluntness, always refreshed to hear it.

 

“How come you’re here anyway? Shouldn’t you be enjoying your trip here, instead of following employees around?” Kyungsoo thought he might as well ask him what he was dying to know since Kai didn’t seem to want to leave anytime soon.

“Well, I’m kinda working as well, so I guess this is me enjoying my trip here. Besides, it’s fun to hang out with you. I mean, when I’m not accidentally giving you heart-attacks or hurting you…heh.” The shorter doesn’t answer Kai, worried that this strictly professional relationship was bordering too close on friendship. At least now Kyungsoo can surmise that Kai is probably not an actor or an idol. Maybe a young businessman traveling to experience new things? Whatever it was, it still didn’t make his identity any clearer to the resort employee.

They come upon a clearing where Kyungsoo knows a ditch lies just a few feet in front, and further than that, the spread out hills that lead to the end of the island.

“Kyungsoo!” They both turn as Chanyeol runs up to them (again). A lot of things seem to be repeating, today. “Did you find anything yet?” Kyungsoo shakes his head in response and they all sigh collectively. The trio walk further towards the ditch, following the shortest of them to cross it and circle back through the trees when they all freeze at what they see lying there.

“Holy ,” Kyungsoo whispers.

“I think I’m going to be sick,” Chanyeol mumbles.

There in the middle of the ditch, with mangled, bloody cuts on his neck, lies the missing American guest.

Dead.

_____________________________________________

A/N: .....this..took..longer...than anything i've written for school wtf
Sorry if this one was also kinda boring >.<
Just had to like lay everything down before I can get into the real stuff haha
So yeah, lots of references to the past, I hope it was mysterious enough???

On a side note, I looked up the lyrics to El Dorado, and one of the lines (I think it's Jognog's) was like "We're searching for paradise" (idk if that's the literal translation or what) but then I was like HOLY I literally titled this thing that and it was before El Dorado even came out??? Weirdest coincidence of my life, honestly.

Will try to update soon! Just tryna figure out what the heck I'm doing with this. This took long 'cause I was just trying to get all these bajillion ideas in my head onto paper. Gotta hand it to writers, man, this is hard!! 
Also, I recently made a fandom-tumblr: (X) (I'm so proud of the URL tbh) So, yeah, drop by if you wanna talk about anything? or writing stuff? idk..

Thank you so much for all that subscribed, upvoted, & commented!! It means so much, and I appreciate it immensely!!! <3 <3 <3