I Wish

Love's Playlist

Song #1

I Wish

 

Based on the Song: I Wish   by: One Direction

Pairing/s: HunHan

Point of view: Third Person

Length: 2k+ words

Rating: PG

Genre: romance, slight!angst, college!au

Description: Sehun and Luhan are classmates. Sehun is head-over-heels for Luhan. Unfortunately, Luhan is in a relationship.

 

 (click the underlined/bold/highlighted title to listen to the song (: you can use it as a background music while reading)

 

 

***

 

People can’t help who they fall in love with. And most of the times, there are disadvantages to it. Like for example, if the person you like already has someone who calls him/her ‘babe’ or whatever endearment they want to call each other.

 

And sadly, that’s Sehun’s case. All he can do is sit in a corner and watch from afar how Kris Wu and Luhan do all the things couples usually do.

 

Just like now, he’s in the cafeteria together with Chanyeol and Jongin, staring or rather glaring at the couple just a few tables ahead of them. It is noontime so the school’s in their lunch break.

 

Chanyeol nudges his friend, “Hey. You’re not eating,” when Sehun doesn’t answer him, he followed Sehun’s train of sight and sighs, “You’re doing it again.”

 

“What?” Sehun mutters, not removing his sight on the two who are currently cuddling and feeding each other. Sehun thinks he might puke from the scene but he can’t get himself to look away. He wants to let the couple (or rather Luhan) know that he doesn’t approve of their relationship.

 

But who is he to disagree, anyways? He’s just Luhan’s classmate.

 

Jongin interrupts his thoughts, “Might as well eat that,” his friend then grabs the chicken on his plate.

 

Sehun stands up and slings his backpack on his shoulder, “I’ll go. I’m not hungry anymore.” Sehun makes his way out of the cafeteria without sparing a back glance.

 

Chanyeol and Jongin are then left at the table, sighing at the way their friend is acting. They’re already used to it.

 

Sehun’s been liking Luhan since they were in high school, for they were classmates. Luhan was single back then, but Sehun can’t seem to have the courage to tell Luhan how he feels. And now that they’re in their junior year of college already, Sehun wants to do nothing but to hit his head on the wall in regret when he heard the news about Luhan and Kris dating. The two just met last summer, for heaven’s sake. Moreover, Sehun and Luhan have been close friends since the start of college.

 

How unfair can life be? Or the question should be, can Sehun get anymore coward?

 

 

After their classes, Sehun, Chanyeol, and Jongin have the habit of staying on their school’s field. They’re currently sitting on the grass, talking about anything they could think of.

 

“Have you heard? The profs are said to plan something,” Chanyeol stated, plucking some grass beside him, “Since they’ve observed that the students are slacking off nowadays. They’re said to give all of us research works this entire week.”

 

“Ugh. They really !” Jongin groans, “Can they be not be a bunch of killjoys?”

 

Sehun stays quiet, not that he talks that much, and so his friends directed their attention to him.

 

“Sehun,” Chanyeol nudges him, “Can you not be a chicken and talk to him?”

 

Sehun averts his gaze from the book he’s reading and gives his friend an irritated look, “Talk to whom?”

 

Jongin facepalms and groans, “Don’t play dumb!” Sehun glares at him, which resulted for Jongin to gulp, “Talk to….. You know…. Luhan.”

 

Sehun looks at his book again, not really reading it, “Why would I do that?” he mutters.

 

“Sehun! You can’t be like this forever!” Chanyeol gestures his hands exasperatedly, “You can’t hate the world forever when in fact, you only hate Kris alone. What did Kris do wrong, anyway?” Sehun raises an eyebrow at him, “Right, I know. He is Luhan’s boyfriend. That was his ‘mistake’.”

 

Jongin nods, “Yeol’s right. Kris might be the school’s basketball team captain. However, he's not airheaded, he’s a nice guy. But that doesn’t mean we’re on his side. You’re still our friend, so we’ll help you, dude.” He pats Sehun’s shoulder.

 

“Luhan’s already taken,” Sehun blankly says, flipping the pages of his book.

 

Jongin huffs, “So what? Their ‘relationship’ is still new. It’s been just months.”

 

“Okay. I’ll talk to him,” Sehun says not too loud, hoping his friends heard it.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes lighten but he decided to be sure, “What did you say?”

 

Sehun glares at him, “I. Am. Not. Repeating. It.”

 

Jongin smiles and fist-bumps the air, “Yes! Do it tomorrow, ‘kay?”

 

Sehun can only mutter, “Fine.”

 

 

So, the next day, when their classes ended, the trio straightly went out of their classrooms and waited by the lockers. They leaned on the lockers, pretending to look casual. Don’t be bothered, Sehun’s been seeing Luhan here often times after classes.

 

And he wasn’t wrong. Luhan’s in front of his locker (just few lockers away from the trio), talking to his crappy boyfriend (that’s according to Sehun). After some time, Kris says something that made Luhan pout. Sehun wants to attack and punch Kris for that but he controls himself not to. Kris then kisses Luhan’s pout away, making the latter smile a bit. Sehun would be lying if he said what he saw didn’t hurt.

 

A lifetime later, Kris left and that makes Luhan alone, arranging the contents of his locker. The trio even sees Luhan release a heavy sigh.

 

“Sehun!” Chanyeol whispers, “Here’s your chance. Go!” Jongin and Chanyeol nudges their friend forward.

 

“What? No,” Sehun whispers back, “I think I can’t do this anymore. Let’s just go home,” Sehun turns to leave but the two grabbed him back.

 

“Don’t be an idiot,” Jongin scolds, “We already talked about this yesterday.”

 

“Well, yesterday and today are different,” Sehun counters back, “Let’s just go.”

 

Chanyeol shakes his head, clearly disappointed, “If that’s what you want. Jongin, we’re left with no choice,”

 

Sehun didn’t have the chance to ask what Chanyeol meant when the two started dragging him towards Luhan’s direction.

 

“H-hey!” Sehun slightly panics, “What the hell are you two doing?!”

 

Jongin tightens his grip on Sehun’s arm, “We’re helping you, since you’re so helpless and all.”

 

He tries not to roll his eyes. Sehun can feel sweat on his palms. This is not what he wanted to happen.

 

As they were nearing Luhan, Sehun can feel sweat on his forehead also. Good thing there were only few people around so they won’t see how dumb he probably look right now.

 

“Hi, Luhan!” Chanyeol greets when they’re at Luhan’s back. , Sehun mentally cursed.

 

Luhan turns around and was a bit surprised of the trio’s appearance.

 

“Hey, Luhan,” Jongin beams at the former. Jongin elbows Sehun, implementing him to say something.

 

“Hi,” is what came out of Sehun’s mouth. He tries to look at anything except Luhan’s angelic face.

 

“Hey,” Luhan grins. Sehun could swear he can see hearts around him, “How may I help the three of you?”

 

Chanyeol shrugs casually, “Oh. Sehun just have something to tell you,” he then places an arm around Sehun. The latter had the urge to cut it off, though.

 

“Really?” Luhan looks at Sehun expectantly, “What is it?”

 

Oh god, Sehun thought, Why are you this cute? Sehun could feel something in his chest beat a little faster than it should. What the hell is wrong with me?

 

His friends secretly elbow both of his sides, making him wince slightly. He really needs new friends.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Luhan eyes him worriedly.

 

Sehun opens his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. He just resorted into shaking his head, “I….”

 

“You?” Luhan scrunches his brows.

 

“I….” Sehun wipes his sweaty hands on his pants and clears his throat, “I— like... I l-like y-you... to h-help me. I need help i-in our Chemistry class,” Sehun lied, refusing to look at Luhan’s eyes and looks at the latter’s forehead instead, “I c-can’t understand a thing Mr. Jung said… Could y-you help me out?”

 

Sehun can hear groans beside him. His friends might’ve collapsed internally by now.

 

Luhan smiles, “Is that so? Okay. Well, I’ll teach you tomorrow. My mom’s in the parking lot already,” he closes his locker and turns to the trio again, “See you tomorrow, guys. Bye!” Luhan waves at them and starts walking away.

 

When Luhan was out of sight, Chanyeol wasted no time and smacks Sehun’s head.

 

“Ow!” Sehun glares at his friend while rubbing his head, “What was that for?”

 

“For being a complete , dickhead, jackass, and whatever profanities you can describe yourself,” Jongin flares up and gestures Chanyeol to go, leaving Sehun by himself.

 

Little did the three know that Luhan is bothered by something. On his drive home, Luhan’s still hung up about what Sehun asked him to do. Why would Sehun need help? Luhan thought, he was one of those who got the highest score in the test earlier….Luhan just shakes his head. Never mind, I’ll still teach him.

 

 

But Luhan teaching Sehun seems to be a bad, very bad idea. Sehun finds himself looking at the shorter’s shapely lips whenever Luhan’s talking. Screw Chemistry class. I’d rather look at Luhan’s face than—

 

”Sehun?” Luhan nudges Sehun for the third time. They’re currently on the field, sitting side to side on the grass while Luhan teach Sehun something about chemical bonding, was it?

 

Every time Luhan’s shoulder bumps into Sehun’s, the latter finds it harder to breath. And he doesn’t know why because they’re in an open place, for heaven’s sake. In a field, on that matter. Whenever his knee brushes against Luhan’s, Sehun feels a little tingly on the area where Luhan’s knee had been. It’s even harder to focus, since Luhan is this close to him.

 

Sehun blinks a few times, and looks at Luhan to see that the latter is looking at him like he was waiting for an answer, “So….?”

 

Sehun his lips and clears his throat, “W-what was it again?” he asks, trying to sound casual.

 

“I’ve been repeating the question thrice already,” Luhan slightly whines and looks at Sehun worriedly, “Hey, I’ve been noticing. Why are you zoning out every time I’m teaching you?”

 

Because just your plain presence distracts me, Sehun wants to reply.

 

But he settles with, “I-I’m sorry. Something’s just really b-bothering me.”

 

Luhan closes the book on his lap and moves closer to him, “What is it? Maybe I can help.”

 

Oh god. Can Luhan get any closer? I’m dying here! Sehun panics internally.

 

”Uhh…. It’s nothing, actually,” Sehun moves a bit farther away from Luhan, making sure it goes unnoticeable.

 

Luhan sighs, “I feel useless,” Sehun turns to Luhan to see that the latter is pouting slightly.

 

“W-what? No!” Sehun immediately denies. Luhan is anything except useless.

 

“Really?” Luhan lookes at him solemnly, “Then why does Kris spend lesser time with me now?”

 

Sehun internally scoffs at the mention of the name. Because he’s a jerk, he wants to answer but instead, he just replies with, “I don’t know. Maybe he’s just busy?”

 

Luhan seems to ponder on his reply, “You’re probably right,” he nods, “Maybe he’s just really busy.”

 

 

Days after, the trio is having their lunch at the cafeteria when Chanyeol noticed something.

 

“Hey, what’s with the ier-than-usual look?” The taller asks.

 

“Mff yeah,” Jongin joins in while munching his burger, “I’m guesshing that’sh shomething about Ruhan.”

 

Chanyeol scolds Jongin for not having proper table etiquette before he turns to Sehun, “So what about him?”

 

Sehun pokes the meat on his plate, a grim expression on his face, “The bastard hasn’t asked Luhan to the Spring Dance yet.”

 

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow, already knowing who Sehun is referring to, “Shouldn’t you be happy about it? Luhan doesn’t have a date yet.”

 

After swallowing his remaining burger, Jongin turns to them, “Chanyeol, don’t you get it? Even though it hurts, which I know do, Sehun would rather see Luhan happy because his boyfriend asked him to the dance than Luhan being sad because Kris didn’t. Right, Sehun?”

 

Chanyeol has his mouth agape, “Whoa. I didn’t know you could be smart sometimes,” Jongin then smacks the taller’s head.

 

Sehun just remained quiet because deep down, he knows Jongin is right.

 

 

It’s the night of the Spring Dance. Chanyeol, Jongin and Sehun are dressed smartly, looking handsome on their tuxedos.

 

Before the dance, Sehun considered the idea of asking Luhan to the dance instead, but he didn’t, with the thought that Kris might ask Luhan later on.

 

So here he is on their table, looking much more like a loner while the others are on the center of the event room, dancing the night away. Even his friends abandoned him. Great, just great.

 

From where he’s sitting, Sehun can see Luhan sitting on the other table looking handsome as ever as he is currently talking to his friend, Yixing.

 

So the bastard really didn’t ask Luhan. He controls the urge to find Kris and kick him where it hurts the most.

 

Sehun then thinks about something. He looks away from Luhan’s side and ponders what’s happening now. Luhan’s here, Kris isn’t. I can invite Luhan to dance with me and finally tell him how I feel. He might not return the feeling back, but at least he'll get to hear what I wanted to tell him since freshman year. I need to let this out.

 

With a new found courage, Sehun stands up from his chair. He is about to go to Luhan’s table when he saw something he never wishes to see.

 

On the center of the room, are Luhan and Kris, dancing to a slow music. Luhan has his hands on Kris’s shoulders. He is holding a rose. While Kris has his arms around Luhan’s waist as they sway to the rhythm of the song. They seem to be talking about something nice, for Luhan has a bright smile on his face. He might be glad that Kris didn’t turn him down.

 

And Sehun just stands there, watching the scene unfold, making his chest tighten and heavy. He is left with the thought he is hoping for all this time.

 

How he wishes he could be Kris, even just for this night.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

there you have it :3 next up would be.....  SuLay~ :)

 

HAPPY HUNHAN MONTH, EVERYONE!! 세훈 + 루한 = 사랑 ;)