Living Leaves: Story Is Not Over

Badass Therapeutic Shenanigans

The applause begins before the new stage is revealed to the audience.

 

The mischievous fairy springs onto the stage. Arms wide, embracing his small world called the forest. This tiny magical wood does not show up on Google map but it's the fairy’s entire world. The pine trees brush up against his sides, tickling him; he does not mind the caress at all. The dirt ground is his playground. His intoxicated smile contaminates all sides of the glittery, surreal world.

 

“Jin hyung looks like a crazy person,” whispers Jungkook.

 

Yoongi rolls his eyes. “It's called acting, kiddo.”

 

Tonight on the Midsummer’s Night Dream, Jin the Puck is at the service of Junghan the King Oberon. He does what he say without questions, doing all the dirty work for him and the boss takes all the credits.

 

Scene One

Diva Oberon: That won’t give up her boy to me! ARRRGGGGGGG!

Jinnie Puck: Calm the down, Sir Kim. I’ll do whatever I can to get back at her!

DO: Duhhhhhhhhh. Get me some drugs.

JP: Gasp!! That’s illegal!

DO: You stuuupiid! You can get the love potion at Walmart for $999!

JP: OOOOOOOHHH. What for?

DO: I’ll make the queen falls in love with an !

JP: Didn’t she already fall in love with one? HAHAHAHA.

DO: DO YOU WANT TO DIE?!

JP: I AM VERY SORRY, SIR KING.

DO: Anyway, an is a donkey. Listen to me carefully…

 

“Jimin, that’s not how the play goes.” J-Hope cuts off his one-man show.

 

“Basically that what happened. I saw the movie!”

 

“No. You didn’t!”

 

“Shut up!” hisses Yoongi.

 

Back on the stage, the “dutiful” fairy carries out the King’s wishes and conjures up jokes and woes amongst the lovers. Love is won. Love is lost. Puck still has his twinkling eyes and glowing smile. His friends marvel how Jin hyung never looked like this like he has TROUBLE etched all over his face. How does he do that? For the rest of the hour, the world reaquantaints with the classic fairy and Kim Seokjin. Jin does not transform to a different person; a hidden side of him shines through the skin tonight onstage. Contrary to expectations, there is no one fainting and the production did not halt in the middle of the story. Everyone plays their roles as planned or improvised. Their effort makes a magical night.

 

All best nights have to draw to an end, the curtain drops in no time at all. The actors return to their forest. They join hands with fairy Puck standing in the middle. His smile exudes pride that spreads to his friends that performing the act of standing ovation. Jungkook throws a red rose on stage. Jimin blows on his blare horn, calling the two staff to forcefully remove him from the scene. “I LOVE YOU, HYUNG!” he screams on top of his lungs. His voice quickly diminishes as he is being thrown out.

 

“Bye, bye, Jimin,” says the maknae.

 

His friends forget about him when Jin descends the stage at the side. The kids swarm around him like he’s the father with all their Christmas presents. Jungkook gives him a crushing hug with Yoongi hot on his heels to yank him back by the jacket collar. With the maknae out of the picture, the others swarm to hug Jin and congratulate him.

 

“Hey…” Hyerin taps Taehyung on the shoulder with her bouquet of colorful roses while she tries to squeeze in. Her effort is to no avail: she is shoved to the ground before she can catch a glimpse of the super star Jin. “Yah! Let me in, you brats!”

 

Her yell out all the noises in the room. Everyone gawks at small girl. Hyerin clears awkwardly and pushes Taehyung aside who still blocks her way from Jin. With two hands, she sends her offering to the divine being the sparkling fairy. Jin flushes as he lays eyes on the flowers. “Thank you.” He takes it up graciously and sniffs them.

 

It is the most natural thing for Hyerin to hug Jin at the moment. His heart flutters when her toned arms touches the fabric of the thin linen shirt. He hugs her tight and breathes in the scent of lavender shampoo and the soft strings of her black hair. He feels everything tingling in the moment. And everything feels so real and warm without being on medication or worrying about fleeing the scene because his body and mind go awry and turn into flight-fight mode. He is not greedy though, so he lets her go and turns to his friends with one sweeping gesture.

 

“Thank you!” He bows his back as far as he can bend.

 

The friends holler and clap with all their hearts, oblivious of the actual reasons that Jin is thankful for---he is thankful because of them, he gets to experience every sensations in every moment of in his life. They helped him to arrive to his most memorable time called “right now”. He refuses to get up until his friends know his gratitude.

 

After he straightened his back, Jimin sneaks over and nudges his side. He whispers to him only, “Jin hyung, it’s time.”

 

Jin blushes, sputtering something like he’s too young to do this, he’s not ready...she’ll run away, blah, blah, blah, but Jimin will have none of it. “Aish, hyung!” He roughly pushes Jin forward towards Hyerin.

 

“GET MARRIED! GET MARRIED!” the crowd shouts, transporting Jin back to the Winter Ball again.

 

However, Jin is not going to be pushed around this time. He touches his lips with his index finger, signaling everyone to hush. Calmly, he takes a few steps to Hyerin. He holds his gaze with Hyerin’s trembling pupils… who is the one going to run away now?

 

Jin goes on his one knee and Hyerin’s heart is going to burst out of her chest. “No! No! No! No!” She panics.

 

Jin is crestfallen. “No?”

 

“Uh. No! No! T-That’s not what I meant!” she stutters. “I don’t know what I’m blabbering about!” She in a big breath to calm herself down. “We are only eighteen! We’re not legal yet...”

 

Jimin giggles at the side while everyone else holds their breaths, anticipating the couple’s next move. Are they having a wedding the coming spring? they wonder.

 

Jin reaches into his brown satchel to retrieve a navy velvet jewelry box. Hyerin thinks that she will die from a heart attack. He opens the box to reveal a necklace with a green leaf pendent. “Will you be my girlfriend?”

 

“G-Girlfriend?!” Hyerin’s nervous chuckles roll into a big obnoxious one. “O-Of course I’ll be your girlfriend AHAHAHAHAHA. I WASN’T THINKING ANYTHING WEIRD!!!” Her laugh is a relieved one. What were you thinking, Seo Hyerin?! she chides herself.

 

Yoongi smirks. “She thought this was a marriage proposal.”

 

Hyerin’s face turns red at the remark. Namjoon hits his head to tell him to shut his mouth.

 

Jin ignores his friends and Hyerin’s embarrassment. He can only see how beautiful she is right now when she says “yes”. He gets up clumsily and takes the necklace in his hand. He goes around behind her and helps her wear the gift. Jin smiles satisfyingly as the transparent leaf reflecting the light.

 

“KISS! KISS! KISS!” Jimin riles the crowd, leading them to chant the demand.

 

Hyerin gasps as Jin’s lips cover hers firmly. The kiss is gentle but has enough pressure to seal whatever promise that is between them. His peppermint breath faintly hits her nose and she will go on kissing forever if the crowd is not watching.

 

Jin pulls back first. He is officially a tomato man. He is a different person from the one Hyerin knew. He is more confident and assertive… One brief kiss can tell her so much about him and how much she loves him.

 

“Why the leaf?” she asks him.

 

“Because we are the new leaves in the dead garden.”

 

Jin’s smile is as blinding as the jewel hanging above Hyerin’s heart.

 

The sound of celebration will go on forever if not for someone coughing, trying to get someone's attention.

 

“WHAT DO YOU WANT, JUNGHAN!” Jimin yells at the diva.

 

Jin touches Jimin’s shoulder, trying to calm him down. “What do you want, Junghan?” asks Jin without breaking eye contacts.

 

“I want to talk to you alone.” His tone loses his normal command. “Please.”

 

Almost everyone gasps. Junghan said the “p” word! Jin cannot possibly say “no” to that.

 

Before he follows him out, Jin quickly squeezes Hyerin’s hand. She leans in to whisper something in his ear. Jin’s eyes widen. Did he hear her right? She nudges him to go on.





 

The back room is nearly empty, except for a few lingering staff chatting. One glare from Junghan scares the remainings away.

 

Junghan sits on a random chair. His one hand sweep already makes Jin sits down without questioning. However much Jin dislikes Junghan, he can't help but treats him like King. Jin wants to kick himself for that. Hopefully, his expression covers up his erratic heart.

 

“I’m sorry,” says Junghan coolly. He said it like he told Jin that it’s raining outside. Jin shifts his body but nothing he does will make him comfortable.

 

Obviously, Jin has no good response for it, Junghan keeps going: “After doing shows with you, I acknowledge your skill as an actor.” He purses his lips, refraining himself from saying more. Nonetheless, Jin fills out the rest of his thought: As a person, I still don’t know how I should feel about you.

 

Junghan turns to the door and is about to leave, but Jin is not done with him yet. “Why?” He finds the strength to ask.

 

Junghan looks back at him, his left eyebrow raises.

 

“Why did you try to sabotage my chance at the theatre? Why did you insult me and my friends at the assembly that night?”

 

“I was there at your first audition. Do you remember?”

 

Jin shakes his head. He can only recall having a panic attack on stage.

 

“I knew you have anxiety problem since the beginning. I was really against you joining, but the teacher insisted to give you a chance as a stagehand.” He smirks. “I was so cheated when you landed a big role! I thought you’ll have a panic attack at an actual performance and ruin everything, but you didn’t.” He laughs again, as if he's disappointed.

 

“I thought that the teacher was giving you special treatment because of your disorder. I hate

people who get into privileged positions without any effort.”

Jin stays silent to absorb everything. Like Henry says, “To be a successful therapist, or successful anything, you have to listen. “So you didn’t hate me because I’m more handsome than you?”

 

Junghan cusses at Jin for ten minutes before saying “no.”

 

Jin does not stop him the second time he goes. His stomach feels funny for finally hearing the truth behind Junghan’s hatred towards him. He pats himself on the back. He and his friends did the right things for holding a mini info session with the parents and classmates. If no one knows the reality of the illnesses, there are only more Junghans in the world who live misunderstanding lives. Many chances and many dreams will be robbed unfairly. Hyerin was right: Junghan is a good kid. A confused, but a good kid, nonetheless.


 

***

 

It's four in the morning. And Jungkook is having a nightmare.

 

He is being attack by a giant scorpion. The grass is scorching hot as he dodges its metallic black piercer. His eyes shoots open when the piercer tears through his right ear.

 

Jungkook pants for air, attempting to all of the oxygen in his dark bedroom. The only light is the faint glow from the fluorescent green plastic stars.

 

"Why don't you just admit it?!" that is the last thing he heard before the monster takes his life with it.

 

Jungkook feels like a rag doll. He feels as fake as those plastic stars shining dully on the ceiling.

 

"Psst."

 

Jungkook whips his head towards the noise. He pushes back from the faint outline.

 

"Hyung?"

 

"Wake up, kiddo," Yoongi's sultry voice is accompanied by a draft of cold morning air. His finger brushing his bare chest sends shiver.

 

Yoongi slaps his shoulders. "Yah, you'll catch a cold sleeping shirtless. Get up and put on a shirt. We're going out."

 

Jungkook groans. "What time is it? How did you get in?"

 

Yoongi grabs a random orange t-shirt in his closet before returning to his bedside. He forces the shirt over his head to his torso and drags him out the bed.

 

"Hyung, can I not go?" the maknae whines. He already misses his comfortable bed.

 

"Come with me, before I changed my mind."

 

The solemn voice acts as an alarm clock; Jungkook is suddenly wide awake. “Where are we going?” his voice is fascinated but scared.

 

Yoongi offers his inviting hand.

 

Jungkook takes it, no more questions asked.





 

Yoongi drapes his favorite leather jacket over Jungkook’s shivering body. Though spring is coming to replace the bitter winter, the morning air in five o’clock is still biting. Yoongi nearly feels sorry for putting through the young lamb in a harsh ordeal, but he has too if they wish to get anywhere warmer.

 

As the pair of boys stumble onto the grassfield in the dark, watching Jungkook wearing the leather jacket and him in the Puma sneakers brings Yoongi back to that night at of the Winter Ball. He remembers vividly that Jungkook yelled: “I don’t like man!” Yoongi grimaces, he would have laughed if that line was thrown at someone else that was not himself.

 

“Where are we going?” Jungkook’s airy voice pulls Yoongi back to the present. That was before, he has to remind himself, things have changed. He tries to convince himself.

 

Yoongi touches his shoulders, his eyes meet Jungkook’s brown orbs steadfastly. “We’re here already,” you just never noticed. “Look up,” he instructs.

 

When Jungkook looks up, he suddenly realizes that it is not all darkness around him: there is also the bright moon, the sparkling stars.

 

Jungkook’s mouth hangs open as he gazes upon the velvety curtain of stars that are supposed to be millions miles away. How can a city accept something that shine so dimly? It is stupid, Jungkook knows, but he still raises his hand to try to touch those unattainable stars. If only he can bring them back to his house and replace those fake plastic stars on his ceiling, he will feel better. If he can capture some authentic stars, he can achieve anything.

 

Another hand obscures his vision to the stars momentarily. Yoongi sneaks his way to intertwine his fingers with Jungkook’s outstretched hand.

 

There, I caught my star.

 

Jungkook glances back at his hyung and grins stupidly. His smile grows wider when Yoongi’s expression is frozen, mesmerized by their held hands. Jungkook’s left shoulder starting to sore so he puts his arm down, but he does not let go of his hand.

 

Yoongi clears his throat; he is self-conscious. He pulls Jungkook down to sit next to him. Yoongi will not look at Jungkook or their hands. He reaches into the leather jacket and Jungkook blushes over his brush against thin shirt. His hand reappears again with a notebook in his hand.

 

Though Jungkook can barely see anything in the dark, his heart tugs at the sight the worn-out black notebook. “My dictionary!” He grabs it from him and lets go of his hand as he flips through the original dictionary that he lost when he just started the therapy session. “I thought Jimin stole it! How did you…”

 

“I stole it,” Yoongi confesses. He looks at him now as he explains, “I was curious what you wrote in there. And I liked it when you relied on me, so I hid it from you. I’m sorry!” He bows his head.

 

How dare you?! Jungkook wants to yell. How dare take away something so precious to me?! He in the icy air. “Then why are you returning it to me?” He could have pretended this never happened between them.

 

“I want to come clean. I don’t want to hide anything from you, including my feeling for you.” Yoongi turns away. Aish. What the Hell did you just say, Min Yoongi?! he demands a logical answer from himself. Apparently, his logic is out of the window when it comes to Jeon Jungkook.

 

Jungkook brushes his fingers over the thick volume of the book. It has been his best friend for four years after his father’s death. His father was his sun, his guidance. Then his hyungs came along when he lost his last thread that grounded him to his father… Jungkook looks up to Yoongi again, he is not smiling anymore. What is Min Yoongi to him anyway? How could he take his dictionary---his last anchor---away from him without permission? He is just a hyung. He is  just a family member. He is just a father figure.

 

Is that all he is to him? Jungkook doesn’t know anything.

 

What are you, Min Yoongi?

 

Yoongi’s breath is out of him as Jungkook’s lips clashes onto his mercilessly. His assault on his gaping lips is vicious and angry mixed with desperation and hunger. Yoongi wraps his arm the maknae’s waist so he won’t be pushed over onto the grass. Yoongi does his best to dance to his rhythm, but Jungkook is a savage beast, still he tries his best. He runs his hand slowly over his back, tries to create some soothing contact. It’s okay, Jungkook, he tries to tell him as he responds to his kiss slowly between shallow breaths. Jungkook finally breaks away first, sobbing. He buries his head in his arms. Yoongi massages his shoulders as he cries. “I’m sorry…” he chokes, “I’m sorry that I hurt you… I was so stupid. I didn’t mean to hurt you…”

 

Yoongi run his hand through his soft black hair. “It’s okay.” He tries to swallow the lump in his throat that will give his entirety away. He still doesn’t know what the maknae wants.

 

“I’m sorry that I didn’t know that I loved you all along.”

 

Yoongi thinks he might chokes on his enlarged heart that threatens to rip his chest into million pieces. “What did you just say?” he asks incredulously.

 

Jungkook still doesn’t look up. “Don’t make me say it again!” he whines. “I said ‘I’m sorry!””

 

Yoongi pokes his arm. “There’s the second part to it,” he sing-songs.

 

Jungkook only raises his eyes at him, “I was stupid, was I? It took me long enough to know how I really feel…”

 

Yoongi touches his face. Jungkook raises his face fully.

 

“You didn’t do it right either.”

 

When Yoongi lays his lips on Jungkook the second time, it is gentle without the confused rashness. He presses his bruised lips into his and the younger responds to him slower this time but with equal insatiation. Yoongi smiles through the kiss. Maybe he is dreaming; there is no way kissing someone can feel like floating the starry sky.

 

“Hey, hyung, what will happen to us?” asks Jungkook like his voice will shatter everything they have.

 

“Wonderful things.” Yoongi chuckles over his cheesiness. “If they hate us because of who we are, remember that we have each other and other people who stand by us. Even if we don't, we have to be stronger than what they expect us.”

 

Jungkook nods. He steals another peck. “Hey, hyung, are we waiting for sunrise too?”

 

“That will be perfect to start a new day.” He kisses him properly, passionately.

 

***

 

The cheerful elves greet the boys in rows as they trot down the cobblestone-paved road leading to the Kim’s mansion. They exude absolute holiday warmth with their pointy beards framing their toothy grins. Their black pupils are expecting Santa Claus to swoop down from the night sky to pick them up. They are waiting… and waiting...and smiling…

 

“These are really creepy.” Jungkook shudders.

 

Jimin screams next to the maknae’s ear and makes him jump out of his skin. Jimin hollers his heart out and J-Hope snickers uncontrollably while Jungkook trembles. “Hey, that's not nice,” Jin reprimands. Yoongi grabs Jungkook’s hand, away from those jerks. Taehyung follows suit and rings the house.

 

Taehyung is taken aback when it is not Namjoon who greets him at the door. He automatically bows. “Greeting, Mrs. Kim!” His friends stop ganging up on Jimin too and bow to Namjoon’s mother promptly.

 

Jin comes forth to shake her hand. “Thank you for having us over. I'm Kim Seokjin---the oldest in the group.”

 

A heartfelt smile blooms on the mother’s youthful face. “Ah. You are such a handsome, mannerful young man! We’re all waiting for you guys.”

 

As soon as they are ushered in the house, J-Hope takes a deep breath to take in all the aroma of God’s feast. “Wow, so Namjoon’s amazing cooking skill is from his mother!”

 

Mrs. Kim laughs cordially, pleased with what she hears.

 

Mr. Kim makes an appearance then in purple apron and a spatula. “I’m not the mother! I’m just a dad who does all the cooking!” They all burst out laughing while Mrs. Kim glares at him. He scurries back to the kitchen to finish the chow mein.

 

Jimin, J-Hope, and Jungkook crash onto the white leather coach and fight for the remote as soon as the adults have their backs turned to them, treating the space as if it is their own house. Jin quickly apologizes to the owner for their behalf: “Sorry. We always hang out here by ourselves; Namjoon’s house feels like our home.” Jin knows that he said the wrong thing as her expression darkens. “I’m sorry,” he blurts out another apology when he thinks that she is going to burst in tears.

 

Instead of weeping and feeling hurt, she offers him a strong assuring smile. “Don’t worry about it. I will be around more often.” She turns around, heading for the kitchen, but she swivels back again. “Thank you for being with him while we weren’t there. You guys are stronger and do a better job than we did.” She gives him an awkward pat on the shoulder before walking out of the living room.

 

Jin watches Mrs. Kim disappears to the next room like a phantom. He wonders what it’s like to have your family to exist like a ghost in your life when you can spend solid moments together. All those past Christmases, birthdays, anniversaries were empty when you could have taken pictures with your loved ones for keepsake. What will Namjoon look back on and decides that his life was worthy and fulfilling? Jin forces a smile before joining his friends---at least his friends are something tangible that Namjoon can hang onto.





 

“Namjoonie hyung, are you ready for show time?” Taehyung pokes his head around the threshold to his bedroom.

 

Namjoon quickly pulls down his dress shirt over his exposed torso. “Jesus, you never knocked.”

 

Taehyung sticks out his tongue. He prances around like a cub surveying his new playing pan. “Mhmm.” He runs his index finger on his work table. He inspects his dustless finger. “Very clean. You are ready to show everyone your room!”

 

Namjoon chuckles. “Why are you so excited? They’re not checking out my room like my house is on auction. You guys can’t afford it anyway.”

 

“If we chip in all of our piggy banks, it’s possible!”

 

He ignores his ridiculousness and walks over to fix his shirt collar.

 

“Hey! We’re matching!” the younger exclaims.

 

Namjoon hits his head with his soft knuckles. “Yeah. We are wearing the most generic white shirt ever.”

 

Taehyung giggles. “It’s still something.”

 

Namjoon leans in closer and puts his hands on the table behind Taehyung, trapping him.

 

What the…? Taehyung looks back his hyung, confused.

 

“Ta da!”

 

Taehyung lights up in an instance. “My doll!” He squeals hyperly as he hugs the handmade doll close to his chest. The doll has Taehyung’s sharp eyes and square-shape mouth. His dark weaved brown hair is parted like Taehyung’s too. Namjoon laughs when Taehyung puts the doll next to his face. “Congratz. You got a new twin.”

 

Taehyung beats him with the doll. “Don't praise yourself. It's embarrassing.”

 

“Careful! You earned it with two-hundred gold stars! How long did you concentrate to earn this?”

 

“2845 minutes!”

 

Namjoon chuckles. “You and Jungkook are so good at math.”

 

“Yeah. That's all I'm good at.”

 

Namjoon gasps, clearly, he is offended. “That's not true! You have a lot of things you can brag about.”

 

“Like what?”

 

Namjoon taps his head once more. “Use your head.”

 

Taehyung sits on the edge of the bed, making himself comfortable as he ponders. He runs his hand over his jaw, cheeks, and lips. “I'm handsome?”

 

Namjoon hops over to yell in his face. “Say it louder!”

 

“I AM HANDSOME!” he screams.

 

“ME TOO!” Namjoon high-fives him before settling besides him. “What else?”

 

“Hmm.” Taehyung falls back on his bed and Namjoon follows suit. He turns his head to meet Namjoon’s eyes. “I'm the nicest person anyone will ever meet.”

 

Namjoon nods. “True that.”

 

“I'm the best listener ever and very good at dealing with Jimin’s .”

 

Namjoon giggles. His dimple etches his cheek.

 

“I don't talk about people behind their backs.”

 

They are rolling around, laughing even harder. Taehyung wheezes before he continues: “I got better at Classic Korean and my ADHD. I'm off my med now.” His face beams with pride.

 

Namjoon tousles his hair. “Good job! How did you do in your class?”

 

“I got ‘a’…”

 

“‘A?’”

 

“A’B’...”

 

‘B?’”

 

“Minus! I got a B-minus!” He looks awfully proud of himself.

 

Namjoon cracks a smile. Taehyung should be buoyed in success and pride. All those 2845+ minutes slaving away with those Hangul letters made Namjoon age twenty years in advance. He tears up as he remembers spending hundreds of dollars on wrinkle cream because sometimes Taehyung was too hyper and distracted for him to handle.... but it’s okay, the dark age has passed, he can only see bright future for him and Taehyung. The journey was difficult, but rewarding.

 

“I DIDN’T FAIL!” Taehyung pounds on his chest like a gorilla on crack. “I’M THE SMARTEST KID ON THE BLOCK!”

 

They run around like maniacs as if Big Bang Theory just visited them.

 

They collapse on the carpeted floor, out of breath. “Really. I'm so proud of you!” Namjoon shakes his wrist. Taehyung returns with a big carefree grin. “I'm proud of you too.”

 

“What for?”

 

“You’re getting along fine with your parents.”

 

Namjoon hums. “If you mean ‘fine’ as in respecting each other’s personal space, then yes we’re getting along ‘fine.’”

 

“That's something. If I don't respect you, you would've punched me a long time ago.”

 

Namjoon coarsely chuckles. “Right. Respect goes a long way.”

 

“But!” Taehyung sits up. “If I were you, I don't think I will forgive them this quick.”

 

Namjoon’s eyes bulge out. “The resident angel said what?!!!!!!!!”

 

“I’m a human! Not an angel!” Taehyung pouts. “I can’t imagine why anyone will leave someone that they are suppose to care about, especially when they really need them to be around.”

 

“They have their reasons…” Namjoon shrugs.

 

“Aigoo.” Taehyung pinches the tip of his chin. “You’re taking their side already.”

 

Namjoon sighs. “Do I have a choice? They are still my parents at the end of the day.”

 

They exchange bitter smiles. Taehyung understands that sometimes you just have to be the bigger person regardless that your heart wants to reject the people who hurt you. It might seems like a sacrifice right now, giving up your pride, but maybe those people you once cared about do deserve a second chance. Or maybe they don’t; you just love them too much to realize that they might hurt you again.

 

Taehyung will set Jimin loose on them if they dare to make Namjoon’s life miserable again.


 

***

 

“WELCOME”---the humongous glittery gold and silver banner hangs from Namjoon’s ceiling but only takes up tiny part of Namjoon’s huge loft.

 

“Wow,” J-Hope summarizes the feeling of the entire group.

 

Jungkook’s lips forms an “o”. He spins on his heel to take in the sleek furnitures, like his work table in front of the floor-to-ceiling window or the black-framed king-size bed that leans against the wall next to him. His breath hitches when he rushes towards the dozens of stuffy toys occupy Namjoon’s bed. He picks up a small white bear that dresses in blue velvet tuxedo that matches the King Bear in the middle. He notices that all of the toys are dressed up for the special occasion.

 

Jimin and J-Hope crash onto the bed and starts wrestling. Yoongi yells at them to stop the nonsense at once or else he will burn them alive.

 

Taehyung sighs. “Why did you want to show  them everything you’ve got again?” he asks Namjoon.

 

“Because they are my friends?... I honestly don't know.” He in a breath and bellows, “THERE ARE MORE STUFF IN THE CLOSET!”

 

Everyone stops the ruckus at once.

 

“Awe. Not you too!” groans Jimin.

 

Before anyone can question what Jimin might mean by that. Jin suddenly speaks up from his corner. “Yeah. Let's check out Namjoon’s closet!” He winks at the flushed maknae.

 

The highlight of the tour is the walk-in closet.

 

“Yah! Are you showing off?!” As soon as he

steps in, Yoongi runs his hand over the maroon leather jacket on a hanger. It has gold spikes decorating the shoulders.

 

“I'll get you that for Christmas,” Jungkook murmurs from behind him, his arms encircle his waist snugly.

 

Yoongi tsks. “If you have a thousand dollar in your piggybank, then go ahead.” He laughs  from seeing his pouty face. “I'm expensive.” He pats his hand before joining the rest at the back of the closet.

 

“Wow, this is a sewing machine,” comments Yoongi, feigning enthusiasm.

 

J-Hope jabs his side. “It's worth more than just a sewing machine.”

 

“Sorry. My bad. I missed a lot, didn't I?”

 

“Anyway…” Namjoon starts explaining again, “...as I was saying, this sewing machine was my best friend before I met you guys. But Coco can retire now.”

 

“ARRGGHH!” Jimin kneels down dramatically. “THAT WAS SO CHEESY!”

 

J-Hope hits the back of his head. “He owns this house. He can do whatever he wants.”

 

“Anyway!” Namjoon cries over them. “This is the end of my tour. I want to say one last thing.” He pauses and takes his time to make eye contact with every each one of his friend. “I’m sorry for hiding everything from you guys for so long. I pretended that I was ‘normal’ who got all my together. I don’t think I can ever show my true side to anyone if it’s not for you.” His gaze lingers on Taehyung before he resumes: “I can’t do it without all of you.” He bows lowly and the maknae line hurriedly bows back.

 

J-Hope throws his arm over Namjoon. “Hey. You’re scaring the kids! Whatever happened are behind us now.”

 

“If we can accept your beauty blog, there’s nothing you do will shock us.” Yoongi adds.

 

Jin just quietly goes up to him and gives him a hug, which inevitably turns into a painful group hug like they always do that someone usually ended get kicked in the back.




 

Session #19

 

“Surprise!” the boys cry as soon as Henry walks into Namjoon’s room. Henry the Santa is covered with tons of gold sparkles. He sneezes a few time to get the sparkles out of his nose.

 

“You guys are chasing the old man away! Ho! Ho! Ho!” he complains.

 

J-Hope drags him in by the wrist. “C’mon! It’s our last session; don’t be so stingy!”

 

Henry laughs. “Fine. You guys are all forgiven for all the rude things you said to me.”

 

“Awe. That was eons ago!” Jimin pouts. “You shouldn’t hold grudges.”

 

“I’m a human too! But for you special people, tonight I will forget my grudge.”

 

“What’s in the bag?” Jin points at the stuffed gift bag.

 

Henry winks. “Merry Christmas!”

 

The boys gather around him in anticipation. “AWEEE,” disappointed cries rapture the group as Henry takes out their journals out with ribbons decorated on top. “WHAT IS THIS?!” Jimin waves around his journal violently. “This is not a present! They are ours to begin with! WHERE ARE THE GUCCI BAGS? THE HUGO BOSS COLOGNE? THE SUPREME SWAGALICIOUS CREWNECK!?”

 

“Shut up. Jiminnie hyung!” Jungkook shouts over his hyung’s tantrum. “I found candy canes! And Belgian chocolates! And gingerbread! Sugar cookies! And red velvet cupcakes!”

 

“YAY!” Jimin rushes over and takes out a candy cane. He shoves the thing into his mouth, wrapper and all.

 

“Kids,” Yoongi comments with disdain. Still, he goes over to grab a bunch of cupcakes.

 

After the boys fought and hoard their food. They fill up the creamy carpeted floor of Namjoon’s bedroom. The seven teenagers  plus an ahjussi crowd the room with a lot of warmth. The atmosphere becomes really heated at one point when Mr. Kim brings up cups of hot chocolates. Namjoon rejects them fiercely because those “children will spill them all over the thousand-dollar imported carpet.”

 

Henry jingles his jinglebells to get everyone’s attention. “Guys, please flip to the page where you had the Dice Man Challenge.”

 

“What’s that?” asks Jimin.

 

“The missions that we have to complete before the group therapy ends,” Taehyung reminds him.

 

“Ooooooohhhhhhh. I ate it.”

 

J-Hope pokes his side. “Not funny!”

 

“Really! I had no food in the fridge so I had to eat whatever I found! Paper is made out of trees and trees have nutrients…”

 

Henry nods patiently. “So, who wants to share their experience of the mission first?” he asks after Jimin is done with his story.

 

“ME!” Jimin yells.

 

“Sure.”

 

“I thought you are it!” Taehyung asks.

 

“I lied!” Everyone boos him. They wait patiently got him to go anyway. “I nominate Namjoon hyung to go first.” He smiles cheekily. They throw their candy wrappers at him.

 

Instead of glaring at Jimin like everyone does, Namjoon starts: “My goal is to show my room to everyone. I accomplished that today. And I feel great! It’s time you guy’s turn to share. What about you, Jin hyung?”

 

“So this is how we do things?” J-Hope pipes in, “We pick random people?”

 

“This is like Hunger Games,” Yoongi says ominously.

 

Jin simply smiles. “I have no regrets.”

 

“Says the guy who charmed everyone with sparkly fairy dust.” Namjoon teases.

 

“Yup!” Jin laughs at himself without blushing or any feeling of shame. He knows that he has the ability to enchant anyone with his portrayals of different lives. He is confident to say that much.

 

When it seems like Jin is not going to collaborate much, Jungkook raises his hand. “For my mission, I entered the math Olympic… and the results are out.”

 

His hyungs hold their breaths and stare at the maknae expectantly. “Dugudugudugugu.” J-Hope makes some fake drum noise to build up the suspense.

 

“I got a certificate for participation!” Jungkook announces loud and proud.

 

The hyungs stare back at him. They are not sure whether they should clap, laugh or give him some sympathy, only Yoongi flings his arm around him and grins until his eyes disappear. “You did it!” His laugh is frozen when he feels the quick peck on his cheek.

 

His friends’ eyes are bulging if they weren’t already. It is true that some of the boys are not embarrassed to show their affection for one another. However, if it is Yoongi, they are wise not to touch him if they want to live past their teen years. J-Hope clasps his hands together and prays for Kookie’s safety. Jin and Jimin, on the other hand, are smiling like idiots who are sharing the biggest inside joke between themselves. Henry, as usual, has a neutral face on as he listens to and observes the boys meticulously.

 

“Hey, hyung. Your turn to tell us the mission.” Jungkook stares at Yoongi expectantly. He has been dying to know about it and has been bugging him for days, but he told him that he promised the demon not to tell. Yoongi moves his arm away from Jungkook’s back and brings his hands together. “My mission was… um…” He fidgets with his thumbs. He refuses to make connection with anyone’s eyes. He is not ashamed of what he is going to say next, but it will be embarrassing once they make fun of them. Taehyung nearly bites all his nails off from seeing the chillest hyung sitting on the hot seat.

 

Yoongi in the deep breath. “I confessed to Jungkook.” He closes his eyes. His ears hears surprised screams, and Jimin is probably jumping all over the carpet and flattening the expensive floor. “WHAAAAAAAAT?!” Namjoon shakes Yoongi’s shoulders. Yoongi does not have to peek to know that Jungkook probably fainted from too much commotions. He feels apologetic for not warning him about telling everyone about them. “Wait. Confess what?” Taehyung asks, confused.

 

“GUYS! SIT DOWN!” Henry finally cannot take chaos anymore and bellows.

 

In a haze, they all manage to have their butts on the floor.

 

“Hyung, can you explain what’s going on?” Taehyung asks.

 

“Yeah.” Jimin smirks. “Tell everyone everything that happened. We’re very interested in your skool luv affair.”

 

Yoongi clears his throat, eyes still not meeting anyone’s. His hand creeps onto Jungkook’s. “Uh. I struggled telling him how I felt. I didn’t want to ruin our friendship and some bull like that. But he took the news well.”

 

“Too well, I see.” J-Hope points at their entwined hands bluntly.

 

“Please accept us!” Jungkook suddenly lurches forward and bows all the way until his forehead touches the floor. “And don’t make fun of us!” He tugs on Yoongi’s hand. The older sighs before doing the same.

 

Their friends look at each other and they burst into laughter. “Are you asking for Yoongi’s hand of marriage?!” J-Hope asks. “Chill! It's kinda weird....” He can't place exactly what “weird” about it. Because they are close like brothers? Because they are both guys? But is it J-Hope’s position to oppose to their relationship? As much as he cares about his friend, it is not his job to in charge of someone else’s life.“It's okay! I can’t promise not to make fun of you guys though.” He says, all smiles. “We’ll probably make fun of you guys as much as we make fun of Jinnie hyung and Hyerin noona.”

 

Jin slaps J-Hope’s arm shyly.

 

“Hmm. This is a lot of information to take in…” Namjoon articulates his words carefully. He looks from the nervous Jungkook and the solemn Yoongi. He wonders how much courage the two bore to get to this moment when they can proudly declare their love for each other. Do they not care what other people think? “You guys are happy and that’s all that matter.” Afterall, he trusts their friends to prepare any maliciousness that are going to grill them alive by other people. “We got your backs.” Namjoon shows his dimpled smile. He can always beat the s up if they harass them for being in love with each other.

 

“I support you a-hundred-percent.” Jin adds. “I’ll make sure nobody get hurt by Namjoon if anyone bullies you guys!”

 

Namjoon would have laughed if he is not creeped out how well he can read his mind.

 

“I’m not a relationship expert,” says Henry, “but you guys can talk to me about anything. Any backstabbing and lovers’ quarrel will be confidential.” He grins.

 

“Not you too, Henry-ssi!” Jungkook buries his flushed face into Yoongi’s shoulder.

 

They all laugh at the shy couple while munching on their sweets.

 

“Oh.” Taehyung’s pupils expand. “OOOOOHHHHHH!”

 

The boys groan and throw more candy wrappers at him for being slow.

 

“Ok! Who's going to share next?” Henry stares at Jimin and J-Hope---the last two remain.

 

“I’ll go!” J-Hope volunteers.

 

BAM!

 

J-Hope and Jimin scream their heads off. “THERE IS A FACE ON THE WINDOW!!!! AHHHHHHH!” J-Hope points at the balcony where the ghostly shadows are lying around.

 

THUD!

 

“AAHHHHHHH! YOUR HOUSE IS HAUNTED!” Jimin clings onto J-Hope

 

For a second, no one dares to move as they watch the shadow moves.

 

Namjoon approaches the balcony. Taehyung tugs on his sleeve, telling him to stay.

 

He bypasses the younger’s warning and throws the door open.

 

The toe of his shoe slightly probes the two people lying on the cold marble floor. They cease moving. “They are dead,” reports Namjoon.

 

All of them huddle behind Namjoon for protection. Jimin elbows Henry away. “Why are you hiding? Be a responsible adult and get those corpses away!”

 

Henry stumbles on one of the corpse's’ legs and yelps. He clings onto Namjoon. “I-It-t made sound!”

 

“That was you!” Yoongi says exasperatedly.

 

One of the “dead bodies” groans. Everyone steps in closer to take a look.

 

Jimin sneers at the dirt-smeared faces before him. “I wish they never got up.” He walks away from Xiumin and Luhan.

 

Taehyung shakes his head in disapproval. “They are mean to us, but we can’t wish them dead.”

 

“Why are you guys here?” Namjoon demands the answers sternly.

 

Luhan clutches onto Namjoon’s pants legs. His eyes are stretched open like he’s seen a ghost himself. “WE WERE WRONG! WE WERE SUPER DUPER WRONG!”

 

Xiumin is on his knees too, crying his eyeballs out. “WE WERE SO FREAKIN’ BAD THAT WE DIDN’T DESERVE TO LIVE!” He punches his abdomen in a stabbing motion. “WE DON’T DESERVE FORGIVENESS FROM YOU GOOD FOLKS EITHER!”

 

“Yes. We do,” whispers Luhan in a not-so-subtle whisper. “SINCE YOU GUYS ARE SO GOOD AND I THINK YOU’LL FORGIVE US.” He sniffs. “RIGHT?”

 

Yoongi narrows his eyes. “What do you really want from us?”

 

Luhan elbows Xiumin and he starts to talk. “We wrote apology letters to the court for our crimes. But we still think that we should apologize in person. We went to a few therapy sessions and realized how wrong we were. We cried when Namjoonie’s dad made a speech. PLEASE FORGIVE US!! PLEEEEEEASE.” Their foreheads touch the carpet. The boys watch them in doubt. Can they take them for their words? Will they kidnap them again for whatever reasons? Are they going to be good?

 

“It's good that you guys are seeking help,” Henry says first. “It's up to those boys if they want to forgive you or not.”

 

The boys’ eyes sweep from Henry to Xiumin and Luhan. They are fully aware that they have the most power in the room.

 

“Let's do it our usual way,” Namjoon calls. “Close your eyes. Put your hand up for ‘yes’. Hand down for ‘no.’”

 

They all close their eyes, except for Namjoon and Henry. Only Taehyung’s and Jungkook’s hand are up. Henry and Namjoon look at each other. It looks like the grudge that the boys hold are too great to grant generosity to the people that hurt them. Luhan and Xiumin beg them with their eyes. Henry puts up his hand. Three out of eight votes.

 

Namjoon sighs. The boys open their eye tentatively. “What the result?” inquires Taehyung.

 

“Look at them crying.” Jungkook says. “I don't think they made it.”

 

“Please…” Xiumin appeals to them earnestly.

 

“Why is it so important for you to get our forgiveness anyway?” asks Jimin.

 

“It feels right…”

 

“It's a tie,” Namjoon speaks up.

 

“What?!” Luhan exclaims incredulously. “But you-”

 

“How could it be a tie?” J-Hope hops on his feet. “We have seven people.”

 

“Last time I checked, I am a person too.” Henry says.

 

“What do we do now?” Jungkook asks.

 

“They remind me of us.”

 

All nine pairs of eyes fall on Taehyung, wanting for an explanation.

 

“How????” Jimin cries.

 

Taehyung’s mouth opens and closes. He does not know why he thinks that. However, their hopeless eyes remind him a lot about themselves when before the therapy. Their eyes spell confusion, mistrust, vulnerability, and a tiny bit of hope.

 

They can give them that hope or trample upon it.

 

“Junghan told me something after the last show,” Jin tries to help the younger out. Before Jimin can curse the diva, he continues: “He didn't want me to be a part of the play because he thought that my social anxiety will ruin the play. I don't want us to be another Junghan.”

 

Taehyung is lit; Jin has expressed his thoughts perfectly.

 

Namjoon nods, approving the turn of event. Maybe these guys deserve a happy ending too, maybe they don't; he’d never know without giving them a chance.

 

“Fine. We forgive you.” Jimin gives in with a wave of his hand. He will still maintain his coolness until the end. “But you aren't having Christmas dinner with us!”

 

Xiumin and Luhan bow to them repeatedly. They will keep going if Jin and J-Hope did not get them up. “You can grab some cookies and milk on the way out,” Jungkook tells them quietly.

 

As soon as Xiumin and Luhan are out of the door, J-Hope pipes up, “My turn!” All of their attention turns to him. They keep going with their last session as if nothing has interrupted. “I don't need to rely my charms to fend off my anxiety because I have you guys. I really love you guys!!!” He blows kisses to all sides. Jimin catches them all.

 

Jimin suddenly gets up. “I got a present for you, J-Hope hyung!”

 

J-Hope claps excitedly. “Yay,  present!!!”

 

Jimin drags a huge rice sack from under Namjoon’s bed. “When did that get here?!” the owner of the bed asks.

 

It does not matter how; all they want to know is what Jimin has in the bag.

 

“Don’t gasp when I reveal the stuff!”

 

“ARE THOSE POISONOUS SPIDERS?!” screeches J-Hope.

 

“Hey! I love them as much as you do! I won't kill anyone! Hold your breaths and be prepared to witness Park Jimin the Great!”

 

They hold their breaths and prepare to witness Park Jimin the Great.

 

“Tada!” He yanks the rice sack away and reveals a giant wooden egg.

 

“H.O.P.E.! The one you broke before!” J-Hope runs up and embraces the sculpture in his arms.

 

“What the heck is this?” Jungkook circles around the artwork. He runs his fingers along the carved caricatures. The wide smile that takes up half of his face must be J-Hope. That character with thick lips must be Namjoon hyung. The one with wide eyes is Jungkook himself. All of their characters are following Henry’s lead. They look happy, like they are going on a treasure hunt and it looks like they will not mind if they don’t find anything at all. But they are confident that good thing awaits for them. At the end of the road around the curved surface of the egg, they find a sturdy oak tree. “It looks like Henry is going to run right smack to the tree,” Yoongi comments.

 

“Why a tree?” asks Henry.

 

Jimin scratches his head. “The egg is made out of wood. And trees are long lasting. I want to us to be trees that won't ever fall and survive.”

 

“If there are landslides or earthquake or-” Jungkook clamps Yoongi’s mouth shut before he can say anything that will shatter Jimin’s aspiration.

 

J-Hope crushes Jimin in a hug. “That's really well thought out and meaningful. The egg is well-made too.”

 

“I’m King Jimin; that’s why.” Though his tone is cocky; he is blushing. He lets J-Hope go. “I gave my letter to my parents. This is my letter to all of you. You’ll accept my heart, right?” He does a whooping big heart with his arms. And his friends shout “of course” back to him. Plus insulting that he is a brat. He is their brat.

 

“Since this is our last therapy session. Let's write down our wishes and goals on a star,” suggests Henry is shining eyes. “We’ll hang them up on the Christmas tree. We’ll watch our dreams come true together.”

“Awe.... are you crying?” J-Hope hugs his waist.

 

“He’s going to say that his eyes are ‘sweating.’” Namjoon hugs his other side.

 

The boys write their wishes down, and sincerely hang them up:

 

Jin: Land a role in a movie.

Jimin: Be the best woodworker in the neighbourhood!

Yoongi: Get in touch with my parents again. Maybe there is something I should know.

Jungkook: I will find out my wishes.

J-Hope: I want to move on to something greater!

Namjoon: I don't want to change much. I wish everyone’s dream comes true.

Taehyung: Happy Together.

 

The boys will write in their journals, like any other therapy sessions they have had. They don't know if they will come true; it is up to them to make their dreams happen.




 

 

Author's note: So I was a loser and shed a little tears in the end... This is the end of the story but not really; BTS lives go on! I wish them success in fiction and in real lives. I tried to give you guys the best ending as possible for Christmas but it ended up being too long and it didn't make it to the deadline. >.< I'm sorry! I hope you guys still like the chapter, the whole story, and had a great holiday. Happy New Year!

Please upvote if you like this, subscribe, and leave your last comments! It's been a great nine months with you all. We might meet again!

Story is not over...

Write you later,  

Suzy


Dead Leaf - BTS