Chapter 1

My Source of Happiness

“Get back here, you insolent little brat!” said a middle-aged man, dressed in a police outfit. He was dripped in hot, freshly brewed coffee from head to toe. Knowing the kids around Seoul were pranksters and good for nothing criminals, he angrily grabbed his flashlight and went out the station.

 

Laughing, Byun Baekhyun ran through the prickly rose garden of his neighbor, Kim Jongin, who yelled in frustration at the sound of Baekhyun’s voice echoing through the silent night. It was currently past midnight in the streets of Seoul. A fool could see that no one would be up at this hour and the buildings would be out of lights already. Yet, there was Byun Baekhyun.

 

He was the classic twenty-one year old Seoul bad boy. The favorite of all girls. He was known for his criminal records in the city. Not the whole murder-ish things but just vandalism and destroying one’s property was all he could do. Even Baekhyun would know his limits.

 

Baekhyun would do his regular routine every two days: pissing off Seoul’s head police, Choi Siwon. The man might be patient and loving, but he could be a rather dangerous demon when you get him mad. Siwon was never a fan of Baekhyun. Heck, the boy brought him torture whenever he can. Just last week he was accused of a thirty year old man.

 

Baekhyun could only laugh at the man’s red face with his coffee stained shirt and pants. He was too busy looking back at Siwon’s face to see the entangled roots of the trees and a camouflaged bear trap before it. Despite his ongoing laughter, his foot stepped straight into the bear trap.

 

“!” a pained groan followed after. As soon as Siwon caught up to the young man, Baekhyun was already toppled over on the ground with his foot already trapped. He could see the blood seeping through the boy’s sneakers as he lay on the ground. Siwon would’ve laughed, to be brutally honest, but he was an officer and therefore, had to do what was right.

 

He helped the brat up and placed his arm over his shoulder and began to walk back to the station. There, he placed Baekhyun on a stool and hastily grabbed the first aid kit. He sat on a much smaller stool and place the injured boy’s foot on his knee, ignoring the howl in pain from Baekhyun. He grumbled at every flinch the boy would make as he threw away the bloody bear trap in the trash bin. Siwon began cleaning the wound as soon as he took off Baekhyun’s sneakers and socks.

 

“Careful, old man. I can still feel the pain.” The young man growled as he gripped on each side of the stool.

 

“This old man saved you, kid. You’re lucky I didn’t leave you behind. You’re still staying in for the night though.” Siwon smirked at the boy’s shocked face. He wrapped his foot and grabbed his collar, dragging him in one of the cellars.

 

“We’ll see how your mother reacts to this one.”

 

“Come on, Siwon. I’m injured here.” Baekhyun whined as he placed his hands on the rusty cellar bars. He pressed his face on the small space between the bars and gave a pleading look to the officer.

 

Unfortunately, Siwon wasn’t letting him off the hook. He chuckled and went to the phone that was placed on his office table. Baekhyun was the only prisoner he had for the night, excluding a passed out drunkard three cellars away from the boy. He dialed a familiar house number and was met with a sweet voice on the line.

 

“Hello?” Mrs. Byun’s voice was heard.

 

“Yes, Mrs. Byun? I’m sure you won’t be surprised when I say this, but your son is at the station right now. He’s been arrested for impolite behavior towards an officer.” Siwon smirked.

 

“I see,” Baekhyun could feel the change in aura in his mother. He shivered. “Well, I’m on my way there, Siwon. Thank you. And don’t worry, my Baekhyun won’t be much trouble after this.” She hung up.

 

“What the did she mean by that?” asked a pale Baekhyun who overheard every detail. His face was still pressed against the bars as he furrowed his eyebrows in both fear and confusion.

 

“I guess your mother is finally going to do something about your attitude, you brat.”

 

Baekhyun gulped. He never got in trouble with his mother. He wasn’t even scolded when he vandalized school property (except for a two day suspension). Not even the time where he toilet papered Siwon’s station. Not even the time when he egged his principal’s car. And certainly not the time he hit Siwon’s with a paint ball gun. No, Byun Baekhyun was never scolded by his mother.

 

Well, at least not until now.

 

Screech!

 

A familiar car parked right in front of the station and Baekhyun could have sworn he made a death wish. A slim figure wearing a brown, leather coat walked in. She had crescent shaped eyes and a pale complexion. Her hair was cut short and she wore a diamond encrusted hair pin with a leaf design. She wasn’t particularly smiling when she approached her son.

 

“Byun Baekhyun. You are in so much trouble.” Siwon, on cue, chuckled darkly and unlocked the cellar door. Mrs. Byun went in and pulled her son out by the ear.

 

“Ow, ow, ow! Mom!” whined a flushed Baekhyun as he tried to get away from the evil clutches of his mother. But unfortunately for him, Mrs. Byun wasn’t playing nice at all.

 

“Siwon, how much is his fine this time?” asked the mother.

 

“No need to pay, Mrs. Byun. As long as you get your son’s attitude to be at least a bit better.” Siwon snarled at the embarrassed boy whose ear was turning red. He was still limping due to the accident that happened awhile ago. Siwon could take a picture if he could.

 

“Thank you, Siwon. We will go now.” Mrs. Byun pulled her son out of the station and made her way towards her car. She let her son’s ear go and went to the driver’s seat. Baekhyun, who was busy rubbing his ear, grumpily went in the passenger’s seat and put his seatbelt on.

 

“Baekhyun, I’m tired.” was all Mrs. Byun could say. They haven’t moved out of the parking lot yet since the mother was busy staring at open space. She, like she said, was tired. Her forehead had visible wrinkles and her eyes had dark circles around them. Her voice grew weak as well. And her hair was slightly turning grey.

 

“I see that, mom.” Baekhyun rudely answered.

 

“Baekhyun, it’s just the two of us left. Haven’t you realized that? Your father and I are divorced. Our marriage is over. You and your brother have separated. Your father was planning on taking you with him, did you know that? He was going to make me suffer by taking away my sons. Do you hate me that much, Baekhyun? Is it because you really wanted to be with Baekbeom that much that you just started to hate me for separating you too? I have feelings too. I’m human. I get hurt. And right now, I’m feeling it. Do you know what it feels like? To have your neighbors and friends say, “Is he your son? Why aren’t you disciplining him? He’s a rude brat. He’s a monster.”? Baekhyun, I live with those insult every day because of you. I never scolded you because I knew it was your way coping from the divorce. But, please, try and understand your own mother. I’ve been coping for years. The divorce happened two months ago, honey. I get it that you’re upset with me. I get it why you hate me so much now. I shouldn’t have taken custody over you. I should’ve just let your father take you. Maybe you would’ve been happy. Maybe you would’ve never hated me. I’m sorry.” a small sob was heard from Mrs. Byun as she pressed her forehead on the steering wheel.

 

“I never hated you, mom.”

 

Baekhyun looked down and pursed his lips. He never saw this coming. His mother didn’t reply as she started the engine. Driving down the road, Baekhyun focused his eyes on the trees and houses as he tried to clear his thoughts.

 

Did he hate his mother? No, he would never hate her even if he wanted to.

 

They soon arrived to their broken home. The place was still as neat as it was before, only that there were broken souls inside. The air here was different. It was like a feeling of loneliness could be felt here. The mother and son pair entered the house in silence.

 

The living room was a wreck. Two chairs were thrown near the window and the sofa was upside down. The curtains where slightly torn at the ends and the table lost one of its legs. The kitchen was weirdly clean, except for the unfinished dinner last night. The light was audible and the carpets were a bit dusty. The happiness in the house could never be felt again. Not when there was nothing left to be happy about.

 

As they made their way upstairs and into their rooms, Mrs. Byun looked back at her son.

 

“Baekhyun? Don’t hate me for this but I’ve sent in an application for you to attend a disciplinary school.” With that, she shut door and locked herself inside.

 

Baekhyun, on the other hand, was frozen in his place. His hand was on the doorknob and his eyes were wide open.

 

“Disciplinary school?”


AN: My first ever story! Hi, guys! It's nice to meet you. I'm _littlelovelylychee and I'm a kpopper. Yeah. Hahahahaha. This is my first take on writing fanfiction so take it easy on me, please. ^^ 

Hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter!